Start by marking “The Pocket Buddha Reader” as Want to Read:
The Pocket Buddha Reader

The Pocket Buddha Reader

4.5 of 5 stars 4.50  ·  rating details  ·  16 ratings  ·  2 reviews
Here is the core of the Buddha's teaching in his own words, as it was memorized word for word by his disciples and written down two hundred years after his death. These selections from the Buddhist scriptures deal with the search for truth, the way of contemplation, life and death, living in community, and many other topics, serving as an excellent introduction to the Budd ...more
Published April 10th 2001 by Shambhala Publications

To ask other readers questions about The Pocket Buddha Reader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pocket Buddha Reader

Bryon Medina
Jan 22, 2008 Bryon Medina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: To all sentient beings

The Pocket Buddha Reader draws from different texts, so some of the readings, and some are stories. All of the readings can be taken in one quick sitting.
The Buddha recommended that we put aside our desires for the things of this world and look within, so it seems fitting to me that my favorite Buddha book is the smallest one I have, and takes up the least amount of space.
I also believe that Gautama Buddha himself would approve of this format, which encourages you to read just a little and to
Joel
Every now and then, I need an infusion of wisdom. All I have to do is reach into my pants pocket and read this to remind me of how I need to be focusing on the world around me.
Jasonpiers
Jasonpiers marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Rebecca Esmail
Rebecca Esmail marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Leighton Milne
Leighton Milne marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Sarah Rincon
Sarah Rincon marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Deanne
Deanne is currently reading it
May 15, 2014
D.j.
D.j. marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2014
Colin Stewart-tribe
Colin Stewart-tribe marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2012
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2012
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2011
Edlin
Edlin added it
Mar 01, 2012
Pam
Pam added it
Apr 03, 2010
Classics of World Spirituality: The Dhammapada Zen: Direct Pointing To Reality The Buddha Speaks - A book of guidance from Buddhist scriptures Weavers of Wisdom: Women Mystics of the 20th Century 20th-century Mystics and Sages