Start by marking “The Typhoon Lover” as Want to Read:
The Typhoon Lover

The Typhoon Lover (Rei Shimura #8)

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  686 Ratings  ·  38 Reviews
A young woman with a foothold in two cultures, Rei Shimura has gone wherever fortune and her unruly passions have led her throughout her chaotic twenties. Now, after the streamers for her thirtieth birthday celebration have been taken down, the Japanese-American antiques dealer and part-time sleuth finds herself with an assignment to find and authenticate an ancient Middle ...more
Published August 29th 2006 by Harper Perennial (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Typhoon Lover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Typhoon Lover

Ilga
Feb 09, 2016 Ilga rated it it was ok
This book follows a 30 year old Japanese-Amercian woman as she is hired by our government to uncover a high end ancient artifact smuggling ring in Japan. Without any training. With 1 week or so notice. As far as I can tell, she was given a cell phone, an expense account, and not much else.

It actually starts off with her boyfriend throwing her a big late, late (week night) party in Washington DC for her birthday. That made very little sense either.

In Japan, she ends up walking through a typhoon
Annabelle
Jun 18, 2008 Annabelle rated it it was ok
This is a later book in the series of Rei, a Japanese American, antique buyer and dealer, who has on and off again affairs with Hugh, a Scotsman, and Takei, a independently wealthy Japanese flower arranger, both highly attractive. The plot is a bit improbable; the CIA wants Rei to go to Japan, where she has been kicked out of because of previous sleuthing, to find out if Takei has an ancient Persian vase, stolen from the Iraq museum. Why would the CIA care? Rei gets into a peck of trouble, and s ...more
Susan Strickland
Jan 24, 2015 Susan Strickland rated it it was amazing
This Rei Shimura novel is so different from the others I've read, and so good. Rei's life is changing, and she can't ever go back to how things were before.

You know what I love about these? They're all about antique art and furniture, but they manage to be gripping. This one is about a ceramic pitcher. I was intrigued.

Also, this book is hot. I do prefer one of Rei's boyfriends to the other.
Ms. G
Mar 28, 2015 Ms. G rated it it was ok
First Massey book that didn't work for me... just not me cup of tea--a bit on the meshugannah side; still plan to read others. Hoping this was the exception-- the bad seed.
Kim Kash
Jun 06, 2013 Kim Kash rated it really liked it
One of my favorites in Sujata Massey's Rei Shumura series. (I am busting a gut with excitement about her new The Sleeping Dictionary, coming out in August.) Rei Shumura is an antiques dealer (and sleuth) with ties to the US and Japan. Her D.C. details ring very true, making me trust her descriptions of the exotic and utterly mysterious Tokyo. In this one, Rei is on the trail of an ancient ceramic pitcher that went missing from the Iraqi national museum. It leads her from Washington to Kyushu--an ...more
Jun 14, 2009 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Improbable but entertaining. Rei Shimura has been banned from Japan for her sleuthing but gets a chance to return thanks to the CIA. The agency wants to know about an ancient Iraqi ewer that has turned up in Japan, and although Rei's specialty is Japanese antiquities, she has the connections to find out what the government wants to know. The plot never answers the basic question: why does the American government care about an ancient piece of Middle Eastern pottery? Despite this, the book is ent ...more
Sharon Stine
Mar 14, 2015 Sharon Stine rated it really liked it
When it comes to books set in Japan I tend to overlook some of the books weak points....
Great read
Karen
Feb 16, 2015 Karen rated it really liked it
I actually listened to this books via audible.

Rei gets into trouble after agreeing to visit Japan and her former lover to see if one of his pieces of pottery is a stolen item from Afghanistan.

She manages to visit the property where she suspects the item is during the typhoon, but afterwards the item is smashed and unwanted publicity follows.

I enjoyed this episode, despite all of the personal losses she suffers as a result of this job.

Bernye
Feb 12, 2013 Bernye rated it really liked it
Rei's advertures are always fun. I enjoy walking and riding subways in Japan with Rei, eating in her favorite restaurants, and chatting with her family and friends. Her relationship with Hugh is off and on, and one never knows just where in her mind she stands with him. Searching for antiquities brings Rei back to her beloved Japan and her former boyfriend Takeo, and then the fun begins.
Spuddie
Jun 27, 2012 Spuddie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It had been a number of years since I read a book in this series--I loved the first few when Rei was in Japan but her moving to the USA made them less interesting for me. Also her romance problems detracted from the mysteries. I liked this one better as she was back in Japan, although I have to say that the whole scenario was a bit far-fetched. Still, better than the last couple.
Judith
Jan 02, 2012 Judith rated it liked it
Rei Shimura travels back to Japan on a special mission for the Smithsonian and becomes involved once again with her former boyfriend. Which causes problems, once again, with her current boyfriend.

Sometimes I find the plot lines a little confusing, but I continue to enjoy this series, which is for the most part, very well written.
Lara
Apr 23, 2008 Lara rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book- it is again, kind of a no brainer entertaining storyline. It had a little bit too much romance for my liking but I liked the character, and her profession in art history. you also felt like you were right along side her in Japan. It is a good read, I need to read her previoius books to get caught up.
Noora
Aug 14, 2012 Noora rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dekkarit, viihde
Hyvä Shimura-kirja, jossa Rei ja Hugh vihdoin eroavat ihan oikeasti. Toisaalta, voi olla että jo seuraavassa kirjassa he taas palaavat yhteen... Muutenkin hyvä kirja, jossa juoni ei ole aivan yhtä mukaansatempaava kuin joissain edellisissä Shimura-kirjoissa, mutta joka tempaa silti mukaansa Japanin kiehtovaan maailmaan.
Robyn
Aug 19, 2010 Robyn rated it it was ok
lots of holes and inconsistencies in this one, but still a great character. I didn't always believe the events would play out as she was describing, but I enjoyed the ride anyway. I like it when she explains features of Japanese society and culture, which were a bit less in this book.
Cindi (cheesygiraffe)
Mar 25, 2010 Cindi (cheesygiraffe) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-read
Things took a turn in this book and Rei basically became a spy for the US government. And she screwed up her love life once again. She's 30 now, you'd think she'd get it straight for once. I liked for once that the mystery of the theft and death wasn't really anyone specifics fault.
Kathleen
Oct 23, 2011 Kathleen rated it liked it
This author has some nice characters but I wish she would decide what genre she is writing- this one is spy suspense, sort of, and moves the heroine back to Japan and makes thirty seem like it ancient and I will still read the next book in the series cause I'm hooked.
Kip
Aug 05, 2009 Kip rated it really liked it
Shelves: 09summerreading
Glad to see Rei back in Japan -- I much prefer the books in this series that take place there. The author's wonderfully evocative description of everyday life in that country is what makes this series worth reading; the mystery plots are incidental by comparison.
Cooksontaylor
Feb 06, 2014 Cooksontaylor rated it really liked it
My first Sujata Massey book and I was hooked, couldn't read it quick enough. A really good enjoyable read. Thoroughly recommend it.
Cheyenne
All of her books are good. Not great, but always solid. I really enjoy the main character. And the books set in Japan are very eye-opening—you learn a lot about Japanese culture ad a woman's experience in Japan. A very addictive series.
Kirsty Darbyshire
Dec 07, 2010 Kirsty Darbyshire rated it liked it
Shelves: paperback

Fun. This series hasn't gone at all like I thought it would when I started reading it. But I like where it's going. This is more of a spy novel than a straight mystery. Very odd. And very enjoyable.

Antoinette
Dec 24, 2008 Antoinette rated it really liked it
Shelves: silly-series
I am very addicted to Rei's story. Even though I disapprove of most of decisions and feel like she it putting herself in danger, I continue to read. What can I say? She is somehow a charming narrator.
Susan
Jun 23, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This sort of mystery is more my speed. Many fewer creepy problems.
. Of course, the plot is full of holes and is not realistic, but light mysteries don't require verisimilitude. An excellent vacation read
Mary
Oct 30, 2012 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bernye Ayer, Alyx Ayer, Christiane De Filippis, Jane Rader
Shelves: murder-mystery
Loved this one because Rei fnally gets to go back to Japan but she loses Takeo and Hugh in the process but gains some credibility with a hazy clandestine Government agency. Future possibilities???
Robyn
Jul 12, 2010 Robyn rated it it was ok
While I love Rei's character, I really thought the plot of this one was a stretch. Still, I am in the mood to find out if she follows her new career opportunity, so I am reading the next one soon.
Jonathan Shore
Oct 30, 2010 Jonathan Shore rated it really liked it
As others have pointed out, the premise is a bit of a stretch. However I enjoyed the scenery through Tokyo, which was reminiscent of my time there. Great character in Rei as well.
Richard Janzen
I raced through this one- I think the spirit of the typhoon and the pace of the action took over. Liking this series and this character more and more...fun to read.
Maureen
Oct 07, 2008 Maureen rated it liked it
The character of Rei Shimura keeps getting darker and more complex with each new book in this series. Will she join the CIA? I think that she has the makings of a spy.
Christine
Nov 07, 2007 Christine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it's a girly-mystery, but so much fun to read. the character, rei is half-japanese and i can really relate to her. i also felt like i was right there in japan with her!
Kate Bolton
Not the best of the Rei Shimura stories but never the less an enjoyable and suspenseful read that has made me want to know what happens next in Rei's life...
Suzy
Nov 16, 2008 Suzy rated it it was ok
This was ok. At least Rei was back in Japan. Massey would do well to spend more time on her protagonist than she does on food.
  • Baltimore Noir
  • Deadly Harvest: A Detective Kubu Mystery (Detective Kubu, #4)
  • The Mao Case (Inspector Chen Cao #6)
  • Law of Attraction (Anna Curtis, #1)
  • Inspector Imanishi Investigates
  • A Deadly Cambodian Crime Spree (Inspector Singh Investigates #4)
  • Mystery Writers of America Presents Ice Cold: Tales of Intrigue from the Cold War
  • The Finishing Stroke
  • Truth Be Told (Jane Ryland, #3)
  • Grandad, There's A Head On The Beach (Jimm Juree, #2)
  • Tart Noir
  • The Samurai's Wife (Sano Ichiro, #5)
  • The Monster of Florence
  • The Case of the Deadly Butter Chicken (Vish Puri, #3)
  • Death Spiral (Maria Kallio, #5)
Sujata Massey is the author of historical and mystery fiction. She's well-known for the Rei Shimura mystery series, ten books which have won the Agatha and Macavity awards and been nominated for the Edgar, Anthony, and Mary Higgins Clark awards. The eleventh book in the series, THE KIZUNA COAST, will be published in November 2014.

Sujata also writes historical novels set in 19th and 20th century I
More about Sujata Massey...

Rei Shimura (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Salaryman's Wife (Rei Shimura #1)
  • Zen Attitude (Rei Shimura, #2)
  • The Flower Master
  • The Floating Girl
  • The Bride's Kimono
  • The Samurai's Daughter
  • The Pearl Diver
  • Girl in a Box
  • Shimura Trouble
  • The Kizuna Coast (Rei Shimura Mystery, #11)