The Typhoon Lover

The Typhoon Lover (Rei Shimura #8)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  520 ratings  ·  33 reviews
A young woman with a foothold in two cultures, Rei Shimura has gone wherever fortune and her unruly passions have led her throughout her chaotic twenties. Now, after the streamers for her thirtieth birthday celebration have been taken down, the Japanese-American antiques dealer and part-time sleuth finds herself with an assignment to find and authenticate an ancient Middle...more
Published August 29th 2006 by Harper Perennial (first published 2005)

Annabelle
This is a later book in the series of Rei, a Japanese American, antique buyer and dealer, who has on and off again affairs with Hugh, a Scotsman, and Takei, a independently wealthy Japanese flower arranger, both highly attractive. The plot is a bit improbable; the CIA wants Rei to go to Japan, where she has been kicked out of because of previous sleuthing, to find out if Takei has an ancient Persian vase, stolen from the Iraq museum. Why would the CIA care? Rei gets into a peck of trouble, and s...more
Kim Kash
One of my favorites in Sujata Massey's Rei Shumura series. (I am busting a gut with excitement about her new The Sleeping Dictionary, coming out in August.) Rei Shumura is an antiques dealer (and sleuth) with ties to the US and Japan. Her D.C. details ring very true, making me trust her descriptions of the exotic and utterly mysterious Tokyo. In this one, Rei is on the trail of an ancient ceramic pitcher that went missing from the Iraqi national museum. It leads her from Washington to Kyushu--an...more
Improbable but entertaining. Rei Shimura has been banned from Japan for her sleuthing but gets a chance to return thanks to the CIA. The agency wants to know about an ancient Iraqi ewer that has turned up in Japan, and although Rei's specialty is Japanese antiquities, she has the connections to find out what the government wants to know. The plot never answers the basic question: why does the American government care about an ancient piece of Middle Eastern pottery? Despite this, the book is ent...more
Bernye
Rei's advertures are always fun. I enjoy walking and riding subways in Japan with Rei, eating in her favorite restaurants, and chatting with her family and friends. Her relationship with Hugh is off and on, and one never knows just where in her mind she stands with him. Searching for antiquities brings Rei back to her beloved Japan and her former boyfriend Takeo, and then the fun begins.
Spuddie
It had been a number of years since I read a book in this series--I loved the first few when Rei was in Japan but her moving to the USA made them less interesting for me. Also her romance problems detracted from the mysteries. I liked this one better as she was back in Japan, although I have to say that the whole scenario was a bit far-fetched. Still, better than the last couple.
Judith
Rei Shimura travels back to Japan on a special mission for the Smithsonian and becomes involved once again with her former boyfriend. Which causes problems, once again, with her current boyfriend.

Sometimes I find the plot lines a little confusing, but I continue to enjoy this series, which is for the most part, very well written.
Lara
I enjoyed this book- it is again, kind of a no brainer entertaining storyline. It had a little bit too much romance for my liking but I liked the character, and her profession in art history. you also felt like you were right along side her in Japan. It is a good read, I need to read her previoius books to get caught up.
Noora
Hyvä Shimura-kirja, jossa Rei ja Hugh vihdoin eroavat ihan oikeasti. Toisaalta, voi olla että jo seuraavassa kirjassa he taas palaavat yhteen... Muutenkin hyvä kirja, jossa juoni ei ole aivan yhtä mukaansatempaava kuin joissain edellisissä Shimura-kirjoissa, mutta joka tempaa silti mukaansa Japanin kiehtovaan maailmaan.
Robyn
lots of holes and inconsistencies in this one, but still a great character. I didn't always believe the events would play out as she was describing, but I enjoyed the ride anyway. I like it when she explains features of Japanese society and culture, which were a bit less in this book.
Cindi (cheesygiraffe)
Things took a turn in this book and Rei basically became a spy for the US government. And she screwed up her love life once again. She's 30 now, you'd think she'd get it straight for once. I liked for once that the mystery of the theft and death wasn't really anyone specifics fault.
Kathleen
This author has some nice characters but I wish she would decide what genre she is writing- this one is spy suspense, sort of, and moves the heroine back to Japan and makes thirty seem like it ancient and I will still read the next book in the series cause I'm hooked.
Kip
Glad to see Rei back in Japan -- I much prefer the books in this series that take place there. The author's wonderfully evocative description of everyday life in that country is what makes this series worth reading; the mystery plots are incidental by comparison.
Cooksontaylor
My first Sujata Massey book and I was hooked, couldn't read it quick enough. A really good enjoyable read. Thoroughly recommend it.
Cheyenne
All of her books are good. Not great, but always solid. I really enjoy the main character. And the books set in Japan are very eye-opening—you learn a lot about Japanese culture ad a woman's experience in Japan. A very addictive series.
Kirsty Darbyshire

Fun. This series hasn't gone at all like I thought it would when I started reading it. But I like where it's going. This is more of a spy novel than a straight mystery. Very odd. And very enjoyable.

Toni
I am very addicted to Rei's story. Even though I disapprove of most of decisions and feel like she it putting herself in danger, I continue to read. What can I say? She is somehow a charming narrator.
Susan
This sort of mystery is more my speed. Many fewer creepy problems.
. Of course, the plot is full of holes and is not realistic, but light mysteries don't require verisimilitude. An excellent vacation read
Mary
Oct 30, 2012 Mary rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Bernye Ayer, Alyx Ayer, Christiane De Filippis, Jane Rader
Shelves: murder-mystery
Loved this one because Rei fnally gets to go back to Japan but she loses Takeo and Hugh in the process but gains some credibility with a hazy clandestine Government agency. Future possibilities???
Robyn
While I love Rei's character, I really thought the plot of this one was a stretch. Still, I am in the mood to find out if she follows her new career opportunity, so I am reading the next one soon.
Jonathan Shore
As others have pointed out, the premise is a bit of a stretch. However I enjoyed the scenery through Tokyo, which was reminiscent of my time there. Great character in Rei as well.
Richard Janzen
I raced through this one- I think the spirit of the typhoon and the pace of the action took over. Liking this series and this character more and more...fun to read.
Maureen
The character of Rei Shimura keeps getting darker and more complex with each new book in this series. Will she join the CIA? I think that she has the makings of a spy.
Christine
it's a girly-mystery, but so much fun to read. the character, rei is half-japanese and i can really relate to her. i also felt like i was right there in japan with her!
Kate Bolton
Not the best of the Rei Shimura stories but never the less an enjoyable and suspenseful read that has made me want to know what happens next in Rei's life...
Suzy
This was ok. At least Rei was back in Japan. Massey would do well to spend more time on her protagonist than she does on food.
Tatiana
Another page-turner after-work book series I can turn to. This was a great read. More after-work crack for me to devour.
Evelyn
Good book and would like to read again but will check out from CPL instead of keeping current copy.
Courtney
I loved Girl in a Box, but this one was so boring I never finished it.
Heather
This was probably my least favorite of the series.
Zit
Da ich mit meiner Zeit besseres anfangen kann: abgebrochen.
  • Baltimore Noir
  • Law of Attraction (Anna Curtis, #1)
  • Inspector Imanishi Investigates
  • The Fire Kimono (Sano Ichiro, #13)
  • The Mao Case (Inspector Chen Cao #6)
  • A Bali Conspiracy Most Foul (Inspector Singh Investigates #2)
  • Love Songs From A Shallow Grave (Dr. Siri Paiboun, #7)
  • The Second Death Of Goodluck Tinubu (Detective Kubu, #2)
  • Sail of Stone (Inspector Winter, #6)
Sujata Massey is the author of historical and mystery fiction. She is best known for the Rei Shimura mystery series, ten books which have won the Agatha and Macavity awards and been nominated for the Edgar, Anthony, Mary Higgins Clark awards. She is currently writing the eleventh book in the series which she hopes will be published in 2014.

Sujata is also launching a new historical series called Da...more
More about Sujata Massey...
The Salaryman's Wife (Rei Shimura #1) Zen Attitude The Bride's Kimono The Flower Master The Floating Girl