Start by marking “The Collected Stories, The Legend of Drizzt” as Want to Read:
The Collected Stories, The Legend of Drizzt

The Collected Stories, The Legend of Drizzt (The Legend of Drizzt)

4.14  ·  Rating Details ·  2,512 Ratings  ·  227 Reviews
Classic short stories that expand the epic Legend of Drizzt!

For years, the Legend of Drizzt has included short stories published in Forgotten Realms anthologies and Dragon magazine. Collected here for the first time are all the classic stories—and one all new tale—by The New York Times best-selling author R.A. Salvatore!

From the startling origin of Drizzt’s panther compani
Published September 13th 2011 by Wizards of the Coast (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Collected Stories, The Legend of Drizzt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Collected Stories, The Legend of Drizzt

seak
Sep 06, 2014 seak rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, 2014
Wizards of the Coast outdid themselves on this one and brought in a cast that's actually hard to believe unless you start listening. It's a free download at the moment, so go at it while it's FREE.

Besides Ice-T, "[o]ther audiobook readers include Felicia Day (The Guild), Melissa Rauch (The Big Bang Theory), Wil Wheaton (Star Trek: The Next Generation), Sean Astin (The Lord of the Rings), David Duchovny (The X-Files), Michael Chiklis (The Shield), Tom Felton (Harry Potter), Greg Grunberg (Heroes)
Travis
Feb 28, 2011 Travis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
The Legend of Drizzt Anthology: The Collected Stories by R. A. Salvatore

The Legend of Drizzt Anthology: The Collected Stories was released February 2011 and published by Wizards of the Coast LLC. This anthology was edited by Philip Athans. The anthology contains all the short stories that R. A. Salvatore has written that are set in the Forgotten Realms and concern the popular character Drizzt Do'Urden and companions. This anthology is set in the Forgotten Realms setting of Dungeons and Dragons.
Wendy
Jan 02, 2015 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, gaming, audiobook
I call myself a geek, and yet, up until last year, I had not watched any Doctor Who. Similarly, I play roleplaying video games, but I have never played Dungeons and Dragons and know very little about the vast lore behind it. Thanks to this book, I have since remedied both of these problems and can now truly fly my geek flag high.

The Legend of Drizzt is a collection of Salvatore's early works, read by a star-studded cast. It is introduced by Salvatore himself, who recognizes the flaws of his earl
AndrewP
This is a collection of short stories about Drizzt and other characters from the books of R. A. Salvatore.

These stories are okay, but most of them centre around a battle or fight and this becomes a bit monotonous after the first three or four. There were some non-combat material that added a bit of interest. Readers who are not familiar with R. A Salvatore's books might find themselves a bit lost as the majority of the stories feature characters from the books. The last story was probably the b
Tammie
I listened to this in the car while on vacation. Some of the stories were quite entertaining, while others were rather boring. The writing style was a bit lacking to me, without a whole lot of character development and there were also some fight scenes that could have been very exciting, but were completely dull because of the way they were written. However I am aware these are short stories that tie into several books which I have not read, so I'm not going to be too overly critical of them. Ho ...more
Joel
Aug 25, 2014 Joel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
While 14-year old me loved Salvatore, 29 year old me finds it too simplistic, a bit too hamfisted and a bit boring.

The all-star cast narrating this was kinda fun - Ice-T was actually surprisingly good, and Weird Al was fun. In the end, a bit underwhelming.
Kristie
Aug 01, 2011 Kristie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, this was an easy read. I had actually read most of the stories that are collected here. Drizzt is one of my favorite characters of all time, making this really easy and fun to read.
Brian
Dec 27, 2016 Brian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
First Notch-**** Strong first story for the collection. The one drawback no Drizzt.
Dark Mirror-***** Action and an interesting look at prejudice.
Third Level-**** Artemis Entreri! A little too perfect and wanted more. However I really wasn't expecting a story devoted to just him that was a nice surprise.
Guenhwyvar-**** Not how I would have thought that wondrous panther came to be. Wanted some more on the Bladesinger and the ranger gone wizard. Full of fantastic magic items. (Made me miss playin
Billy Rodriguez
May 14, 2013 Billy Rodriguez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: forgotten-realms

Comrades At Odds 4/5

If They Ever Happened Upon My Lair 4/5 *

Bones and Stones 4/5

Iruladoon 4/5 *

-Oh my gosh! I absolutely loved where this story went. I was absolutely pissed at the ending of Ghost King (at what happened), and this makes it known that Salvatore didn't just throw away important (from my view) characters, due to not liking where the Realms were pushed
Cole
Oct 04, 2014 Cole rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Not the best choice for my first venture into the world of Drizzt. I had no idea who the characters were and subsequently was a bit lost. I do have to say though that Wil Wheaton nailed it!
Donald Reynolds
May 21, 2012 Donald Reynolds rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had read about half of these when they were originally released in various anthologies (Realms of Valor, Realms of Infamy, Realms of Magic, etc). They are some of the best stories by Salvatore! He somehow manages to build into these tiny stories the emotion and intensity of all of his novels and trilogies.

You get to see the origin or Guenhwyvar, patient Zhengyi building his army of dracoliches, Bruenor earning his axe's first notch, and Entreri's ascension as an assassin (before he's even a t
Kelly
Dec 05, 2015 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, shorts, fantasy
The introduction by R.A. Salvatore is wonderful. He talks about the journey these stories took him on when he went back to annotate them for the collection, and that is exactly how it feels to read them. I remembered the books they fit between; all those events, all those characters. Again, I marveled at how many plot lines Salvatore has juggled.

I couldn't pick a favourite, but I was pleased to note that nearly every prominent character from the legend was featured, some more than once. I took
Forgotten Realms Queen
Fan-FREAKING-tastic! So many stories and loose ends tied up here!

We're finally caught up with Wulfgar and what he's been doing since he left the Companions in search of his daughter.

Drizzt FINALLY gets closure for Ellafain, the elf maiden who was consumed with a misguided need for vengeance against Drizzt, who Drizzt had no choice but to kill.

Lovely little tidbits of Jarlaxle and Entreri's partnership, and we get to see in full (mostly) Entreri's beginings in Calimport.

Sweet little peice about P
Josh
Aug 18, 2014 Josh rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Huge props to Audible for offering this as a free download! And with an all-star cast! There are some really great voices in this collection, and although some of them seemed to struggle a bit with a few words, for the most part they did an admirable job.

I have only recently started venturing into the world of D&D, so there were a lot of characters that I didn't know. I'm sure that fans of the series will enjoy this immensely. For me, there were some stories that were harder to follow than o
Twig
Aug 30, 2014 Twig rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Dieses Buch hat mich unglaublich tief berührt. Die Kurzgeschichten haben mich öfters zu Tränen gerührt. Aber nicht nur weil es so traurig war es gab auch die ein oder andere Stelle die einfach witzig war.

Es hat einfach so viel Spaß gemacht diese kleinen Hintergrundsgeschichten zu lesen und mehr über die tollen Charaktere zu erfahren. Besonders die Geschichten über Artmis und Jarlaxle, das genialste Schurken Duo aller Zeiten aber auch die Geschichte über Thibbledorf Pwent haben mich besonders ber
Caleb Powers
Mar 14, 2015 Caleb Powers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great anthology, all in all. Fantastic voice acting, but that's to be expected, given the talent involved in the making of the audiobook version. There were some stories that didn't really grab my attention as much, but there were others that caught me by the tonsils and wouldn't let me go until they had ripped me right through. My favorite story was "Dark Mirror". I LOVED that one.

Overall, fantastic job as always, R.A. Salvatore. Thanks for the great read. And thanks to the voice ac
Janice
I'm not sure why I keep trying to read anthologies. Short stories really aren't my thing. I may have enjoyed this more if I was familiar with Drizzt. I had no background in the storyline. There were some stories I liked, but quite a few were a bit droll.

Part of the problem were the narrators. Just because you're a famous actor doesn't mean you can read a book. Again, some did a great job and others were stilted in their reading.
Leslie
These stories probably deserve a higher rating as I found they drew me in even though I have no background in the Drizzt series. However, coming to them as I did, I found each story started with me floundering to figure out what was going on.

This audiobook is not actually a "full cast performance" -- each story had a sole narrator but a different one each time. I liked this approach to audio short stories, which I haven't encountered before.
Joshua Grossman
What an Amazing author with a great way of Challenging his readers to think about their Philosophy of Life. I have never felt like Salvatore has ever pushed his beliefs in any of his stories but he pushes all of his readers to question our own choices in Life!!! Amazing author and I would love just to sit down with him for one hour and have a couple of beers.
Timothy Pecoraro
I was happy to be able to listen to the audio version of this book collection for free. And it is wonderful in audio, each story is so different and yet has a similarly familiar ring. Excellent work.
Ash
Aug 05, 2016 Ash rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listed to the audiobook with an all-star cast. Most of the stories were good, and most of the narrators great. 4 out of 5
Ryan
Apr 08, 2015 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
Some of the stories are really good and some of the narration is really good. Just hit or miss a couple times.
D. McAtee
A fun little ride and mostly well performed (I listened to the audiobook). Made me nostalgic for D&D.
Eric
Jan 06, 2015 Eric rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good collection, wish I was closer to the material but you don't need to follow it to appreciate the content.
AH
8/12/14 - Audible audio book free download expires 9/20/14. Grab it!
Jonathan
Aug 18, 2014 Jonathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Good short stories amounting to a quick but memorable read.
Caroline Eising
I haven't listened to many audiobooks. When listening to recordings I tend to do housework or become absorbed in other tasks, which means my attention can wander. Also, with a book you can go back and re-read a passage that you did not parse the first time around, but with an audio recording that is a difficult thing - too often I went back too far and found my attention had wandered again by the time I got back to the passage that I had missed. So I found that I had to listen to these stories t ...more
Akshay
Apr 06, 2016 Akshay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first ever book from the "Forgotten Realms" world of books - purely by chance I went into it with pretty much zero idea of the characters or the rules of the world, I feel that's important to get out of the way at the start here!
In any case, it was not only that, but it was one of the first two audiobooks I got from Audible recently so multiple new experiences!

A quick overview:
The titular Drizzt is a Dark Elf and he is a character in the Forgotten Realms, which in turn is a fantasy s
Contrarius
I enjoyed these, with some caveats.

1. They are of course extremely derivative of JRRT in many ways.

2. More evident in Homeland but also a consideration here, I wasn't fond of either the implied misogyny (the Evil Drow are a matriarchal society -- of course women can only lead evil races) or racism (the Evil Drow are also black-skinned, even though they dwell in caves and cave-dwellers should logically and biologically have very PALE skin).

3. The themes and attitudes and messages and such are muc
Kimberly
Nov 01, 2016 Kimberly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Salvatore has outdone himself with these short stories. What a joy! All your favourite characters: Drizzt, Bruenor, Catti-brie, and more! The best by far was "Gwenhwyvar" which revealed her origins. If you are a fan of these characters, you need this audio book. The narrators are incredible - what fun to hear Wil Wheaton, Felicia Day, David Duchovny, and Weird Al give voice to the characters. Even Ice-T (although he didn't really do voices) was a pleasure to listen to.
Vaginal Fantasy B...: The Legend of Drizzt: The Collected Stories 5 79 Nov 10, 2014 11:46AM
North Vagolinians: D & D 3 5 Oct 05, 2014 05:18PM
The Sundered Book...: The Legend of Drizzt: The Collected Stories [Audiobook] 1 9 Sep 08, 2014 06:58AM
  • Shadowrealm (Forgotten Realms: The Twilight War, #3)
  • Corsair (Forgotten Realms: Blades of the Moonsea, #2)
  • The Captive Flame (Brotherhood of the Griffon #1)
  • Neversfall (Forgotten Realms: The Citadels, #1)
  • Reader's Guide to the Legend of Drizzt
  • The Shield of Weeping Ghosts (Forgotten Realms: The Citadels, #3)
  • The God Catcher (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep, #5)
  • Sentinelspire (Forgotten Realms: The Citadels, #4)
  • Downshadow (Forgotten Realms: Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep, #3)
  • Realms of the Dead (Forgotten Realms: Anthologies, #13)
As one of the fantasy genre’s most successful authors, R.A. Salvatore enjoys an ever-expanding and tremendously loyal following. His books regularly appear on The New York Times best-seller lists and have sold more than 10,000,000 copies. Salvatore’s original hardcover, The Two Swords, Book III of The Hunter’s Blade Trilogy (October 2004) debuted at # 1 on The Wall Street Journal best-seller list ...more
More about R.A. Salvatore...

The Legend of Drizzt (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • Homeland (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #1)
  • Exile (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #2)
  • Sojourn (Forgotten Realms: The Dark Elf Trilogy, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #3)
  • The Crystal Shard (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #4)
  • Streams of Silver (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #5)
  • The Halfling's Gem (Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #6)
  • The Legacy (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #1; Legend of Drizzt, #7)
  • Starless Night (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #2; Legend of Drizzt, #8)
  • Siege of Darkness (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #3; Legend of Drizzt, #9)
  • Passage to Dawn (Forgotten Realms: Legacy of the Drow, #4; Legend of Drizzt, #10)

“My writing is my internal dialogue—” 1 likes