Start by marking “Wraith (Hawaiian Shadows, #1)” as Want to Read:
Wraith (Hawaiian Shadows, #1)

Wraith (Hawaiian Shadows #1)

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  285 ratings  ·  49 reviews
She thought that seeing the shadows was a curse. Until she saw him...

Sixteen-year-old Kali has always seen two sets of people: those living now, and those who lived before. But on her spring break in Hawaii, she is suddenly surrounded by more shadows than ever. Including one who, unlike the others, can see her too.

Zane remembers nothing besides surfing the monster waves
Published August 2nd 2011 by Edie Claire (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Wraith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wraith

Prince of Wolves by Quinn LoftisUnEnchanted by Chanda HahnThe Fallen Star by Jessica SorensenThe Mind Readers by Lori BrightonHollowland by Amanda Hocking
FREE Ebooks For Teens
152nd out of 480 books — 930 voters
Perfect Chemistry by Simone ElkelesBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireRules of Attraction by Simone ElkelesFifty Shades of Grey by E.L. JamesEasy by Tammara Webber
Books I might actually RE - READ
69th out of 173 books — 101 voters

More lists with this book...

Lise *friends don't flag*
Hands down, eyes blurred- this is one of the best books I have read this year. I am not a big fan of YA even though I have read many books in the genre, but this one knocked-it-out-of-the-ball-park for me. The characters were so beautifully written, their relationship to one another and others so real and touching, the breathtaking setting of the story and the paranormal theme made for a non stop read. Thank-you to author Edie Claire, please be encouraged to write a sequel to this book. I know t ...more
Suzanne
This was fantastic. I can't believe I never heard of it before, it should be a lot more popular.

Kali can see ghosts, but they can't see her and she doesn't interact with them. Until Zane, the hot surfer dude.

Kali has gone to Oahu, Hawaii with her parents for a few days to find a house. Her dad is in the military and he is finally being shipped to Hawaii, like she always wanted. Before she met the best friends she ever had in Cheyenne, where she lives now. She is hoping to meet some friends dur
Scott-robert Shenkman
Dec 25, 2012 Scott-robert Shenkman rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Tamara
I came across this book by chance and I am glad that I did. I finished it in one day. Wow! What an amazing story. I was capture from the very beginning. The characters were interesting and the plot was refreshing. It was like "6th SENSE" meets "JUST LIKE HEAVEN". Will there be more to Zane and Kalia's story? I hope so! Good clean romance.
Tracey (YA Book Addict)
Let me start by saying that this book needs to be read by lots more people!! I was really surprised by the lack of reviews that it has on Goodreads. This book is so incredibly awesome!! I loved absolutely every minute that I spent reading this!! It was a book that kept me up long into the early hours of the morning reading it!! I simply couldn't put it down!!

Wraith is told from the point of view of Kali, who is in Hawaii with her parents looking for a house so that they can relocate. She has alw
Krisi Keley
Not that often does a book come along where you can say you love every single thing about it, but this was one of those books for me. Thinking it was only going to be a fun, YA paranormal romance, this novel was a great surprise in the most wonderful of ways.

Seventeen year old Kali is in Hawaii with her family when, on the beach, she is shocked to discover something new. Not the shadows of dead people she’s been seeing all her life, but a true ghost whom she can speak to and interact with and wh
Jen Blackham
OK - I zipped right through this one. Quick, easy reading (YA level), I really liked it and I was pretty anxious to find out what was going to happen. I read this in about a day ...

The book started up quickly, Kali (who has always been able to see "shadows" of people who have passed on), sees a shadow (Zane) who can see her too (this is a first). I loved their interactions, Zane had me smiling a lot.

I had a faint connection to a movie I'd seen a few years ago ... I wondered, could this book have
Melissa Hardy
WOW! Is all I can say. I just finished Wraith by Edie Claire and I loved every minute of it. It has to be one of the best YA paranormal reads I have read to date. This book is filled with heart and soul. It kept me wanting more even in the end (ahh, the end was wonderful!!). Edie says she would love to follow up with a sequel, and I tell you I can’t wait! How can we get a sequel? Well…. make sure all of your friends read Wraith and let Edie know how much we love it and want to continue the story ...more
Bumble
WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!! WHAT IS THE SEQUEL CALLED?!?!?!?!?!? AMAZING! usually im picky with books and find them hard to get into but this book was amazing! I stayed up until 1 am this morning reading before i could go to sleep at a good point to put the book down, but in truth, there was no good point where to put it down! AMAZING!I fell in love with zane and kali!!! Kali is quite like me, curly brown hair, likes what i like and i only hope i can find someone like ZANE! <3

PLEASE! WHAT
Lilmissmolly
I LOVED Wraith: Hawaiian Shadows. Edie Claire's writing style is very easy to listen to without being "dumbed down." The story centers on Kali, a 17-year old girl from Wyoming who is currently on Spring Break in Hawaii with her parents house-hunting due to her Dad's job transfer. Kali is special - she can see "shadows" of dead people. For the first time, one of the shadows, an 18-year old boy named Zane, can see her too and talk with her.

Kali and Zane are both extremely likeable, well developed
Lilmissmolly

Kali and Zane are both extremely likeable, well developed
Jess * Jess Time To Read*

Loved this novel! And I really loved that it was based in Hawaii, talk about tropical paradise.. Zane, you are so perfect for Kali. I love those two together, although his back story was sad. The ending was definitely a surprise, and now I really want that sequel BAD!!
Sydney
Wow. Amazing characters, gorgeous imagery, and a plot to die for. There's only one more thing I can ask for: BRING ON THE SEQUEL!
Jen
Loved it! I really hope there is a sequel ... I just have to have more Kali and Zane!
Julie
Although I am no longer considered a YA, I enjoy reading YA books. I just love Wraith. Kali has been able to see what she calls "shadows" ever since she was a young child. She told her parents that she no longer saw them and has kept it a secret for years because they thought there was something psychologically wrong with her. Kali is a junior in high school and goes to Hawaii over spring break because she and her parents will be moving there. While on the beach, she meets Zane, the first shadow ...more
Karen (Book Light Graveyard)
This book was a lot of fun—I think that’s the best way I can describe it. It wasn’t too deep or too fluffy; it was just an easy, enjoyable read.

Kali is highly likeable—she’s normal, you know? Well, she can see ghosts, so maybe “normal” is the wrong word. Let’s just say she doesn’t have any annoying or strange personality quirks, and she seems like someone I could easily strike up a conversation with. And I liked the balance the author strikes regarding Kali’s ability to see ghosts—she’s not comp
sh(e)reader
I really liked this story ... while I do enjoy the dystopian stuff, they can get a little depressing. This was a breath of fresh air. While it wasn't all sunshine and roses, it was a "feel good" read, and I think I needed that right now.

This is a YA paranormal romance, although it isn't nearly as paranormal as most of the other stuff out there currently. A lot of just normal teenage/high school stuff, with a little "seeing spirits" thrown in. There were some tense moments, emotional moments, an
Sherri
This was a fun read. This puts a whole different twist on seeing dead people. I am not even sure why I downloaded this book because I am a chicken, but I am so glad that I did. I really liked Kali and Zane. They were really sweet. It was heart wrenching at times, but very sweet. I am just glad the second book is out, because I downloaded it and had it read in a day. Needless to say I haven't gotten much else accomplished the last few days. That makes for happy reading!!!
Trisha
I just loved this book! It is my favorite genre lately- young adult. It is a story about a teenage girl, Kali, a military brat whose family is moving to Hawaii for her senior year of high school. Unlike many "heroines" in the young adult category, Kali is not a whiny, uninteresting, shallow girl. She is actually someone who is very likeable and aware of other's feelings. Speaking of that, she does have a special ability... she can see dead people. Enter Zane, a gorgeous, funny surfer dude Kali m ...more
Scimone Jackson
I'm feeling kind of sluggish so this won't be a long detailed review, but don't let that take away from the book because it was amazing. I really do hope there is a sequel and i hope it came out yesterday. Maybe in the next book we can dig into the relationship between the two main characters and show the significance of our main heroine's abilitly. And i really really really hope there is no boyfriend girlfriend drama...sometimes it's nice to have a book that just digs into uncomplicated love. ...more
Jacek
4.5 - 5 stars

Ahhh! Such a good book. I couldn't put it down until now that I'm finished.

I loved ALL the characters. Zane was so fun and sweet. Kali was an amazing heroine; passionate, strong-willed and smart. They were really cute together and their scenes were just so lovable and vibrant.
The storyline was original and intriguing. I usually avoid ghost stories but this one had great twists and the characters really won me over. The plot was fast paced and I really liked it!

Can't wait for the
Marian
I really liked this book. I got it as a free kindle read from OneHundredFreeBooks, and I did not expect all that much. But it was different than any other fantasy books I have read lately. I think it would appeal to teenage girls as well as adults, as the protagonist is a young woman. She was a great narrator - a good combination of sexy and innocent and unsure. The other characters were also believable. I really liked the premise. It had action, humor, and romance - a good summer read.
CJ
I got this book for free off a Amazon but let me just say I would of gladly paid for it. I am so happy I read this book. It was so great! And I really hope there will be a sequel, please say there will be!

Zane and Kali were such great characters! I loved them. Their banter back and forth was so funny and comfortable.

If you are reading this review the you know I really do suck at writing them lol. All I can say is just read the book and you will not be disappointed
Theresa Garrido
Edie Claire has done it again! I am so glad I discovered this author as her books have given me hours of delicious reading. She is top of my author list. Keep writing, Edie!
Candace
i read this book in 1 night!!! i fell so in love with zane and his will to live :) if u don't fall in love with this book, there must be something wrong with u. although, i did figure it out quickly what was going on. it reminded me of the movie, the invisible, which i love. i could read this book over and over and that is not something i do. i can't wait for the next book.
Trudy
A YA supernatural-themed story. The story continues in Book 2, however, which is not something I enjoy. If you have a story to tell, write a longer book. A serial is not a series!
Diane Daniels
I read this one on my kindle. It was one of those "indie" deals offered for free on Amazon. I was pleasantly surprised, as I've had some bad luck with those in the past. This was a very good, clean, sweet, paranormal romance for YA. I may actually read the next one if I remember when it comes out.
Meridyth Harrison
At the end, I just wanted more of Kali and Zane. I will try not to compare the ending to a movie I once saw that was similar, because I really liked their story and her discovery of herself and her abilities. It was hard for me to put it down and had me thinking about it long after putting it down.
Evelyn
Definitely a surprise book for me because I really loved this book. Zane was too cute. I really hope this author has a sequel planned because I'd love to know more about Kali and see what happens to Zane. You should pick this book up. The story is sweet and an easy beach read that I think you'll enjoy.
Around the United...: Wraith 1 4 Feb 27, 2012 02:42PM
  • A Thin, Dark Line
  • The Wedding Cake Girl
  • New Life (New Life, #1)
  • On The Dock
  • Cassidy Jones and the Secret Formula (Cassidy Jones Adventures, #1)
  • After Adam (A Teen Summer Romance)
  • Wraith (Wraith, #1)
  • Seaweed
  • My Only (Versions, #1)
  • Twenty Weeks (Twenty Weeks, #1)
  • Stirring Up Trouble
  • Ocean of Dust
  • Certainty
  • The Memory Game
  • A Needful Heart
  • The Fate of Destiny (Fates, #1)
  • This Time Forever (Glebe Point, #1)
  • Full Circle
20981
Novelist and playwright Edie Claire is a veterinarian, a childbirth educator, and a mother of three who delights in writing six genres of fiction: cozy mysteries, romantic fiction, women’s fiction, humor, YA romance, and comedic stage plays. Pick up any Edie Claire work and you can be assured of intrigue, humor, a touch of romance (or a hefty dose of it, depending on the book!) and an ending that ...more
More about Edie Claire...

Hawaiian Shadows (2 books)
  • Empath (Hawaiian Shadows, #2)
Long Time Coming Never Buried (Leigh Koslow Mystery, #1) Never Sorry (Leigh Koslow Mystery #2) Never Con a Corgi (Leigh Koslow Mystery #6) Never Preach Past Noon (Leigh Koslow Mystery #3)

“Zane," I whispered breathlessly, knowing it was wrong, but powerless to stop myself. "If things were different... if you were alive... and I was alive-" "Yes," he said immediately, interrupting me. He leaned in closer. His voice was no more than a whisper. "Absolutely, yes. Don't ever doubt it, Kail.” 3 likes
“Zane," I piped up quickly, hoping not to lose my nerve. "You can do whatever you want, but the truth is, I want you to come along. And not because I feel sorry for you. I do feel sorry for you-I'd be a total jerk if I didn't. But I want you to come because I enjoy your company, and if you don't come, I'll miss you. But I realize that's totally selfish of me, and I don't want you to come just because I asked you to." I paused for a breath, my heart racing. "Am I making any sense?” 2 likes