Make it Paleo: Over 200 Grain Free Recipes For Any Occasion

Make it Paleo: Over 200 Grain Free Recipes For Any Occasion

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  419 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Transitioning from conventional foods to a grain-free Paleo lifestyle can be a daunting proposition to most people. Hayley Mason and Bill Staley, authors of The Food Lovers Primal Palate, show you how easy it is to take any dish and Make it Paleo! Adapted from Chinese, French, Mexican and classic American meals, the over 200 mouthwatering recipes are each accompanied by vi...more
Published October 20th 2011 by Victory Belt Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Make it Paleo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Make it Paleo

Practical Paleo by Diane SanfilippoIt Starts with Food by Dallas HartwigThe Primal Blueprint by Mark SissonWell Fed by Melissa JoulwanThe Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf
Best Paleo/Primal Books
32nd out of 103 books — 105 voters
Learned Optimism by Martin E.P. SeligmanEloquent Ruby by Russ OlsenThe Linux Programming Interface by Michael KerriskThe Panic-Free Pregnancy by Michael S. BroderFree-Range Kids by Lenore Skenazy
Picks from Ruby Rogues
50th out of 100 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Keri (Va-Voom!)
Jul 23, 2012 Keri (Va-Voom!) rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in a healthier lifestyle.
This is an excellent book to read if you are interested in Paleo. What is Paleo? Well, there's a lot of background information and science to it, but in a nutshell, it's eating much in the way that Paleolithic man did way back when. The premise behind the eating is that we have not evolved enough to be able to consume the amount of grains and dairy that we currently do (at least in the Standard American Diet.) So, when you eat Paleo, you eat no grains and no dairy (and no sugar.) It's pretty muc...more
Alison Golden
This is one of the classic paleo cookbooks. It has a lot of recipes (it is big and heavy!) which work very well and it is, of course, because Bill is a great photographer, full of great images. The recipes are easy, well laid out and easy to read (something I am increasingly coming to appreciate. I like the fact that they make a statement of caution at the beginning of the dessert section. It is a misconception that we can eat as many desserts as there are paleo dessert recipes and stay healthy/...more
Shannon
I recently read The World Until Yesterday: What Can We Learn from Traditional Societies? and was taken aback by the information regarding how much healthier our hunting and gathering ancestors were versus our farming ancestors. Now, I'd heard, for years, that processed foods, sugars and grains aren't healthy for many if not most of us. But, I was somewhat shocked, wondering if, all things considered, they were even healthier than we are with all of our technology and medical advancements. Of cou...more
Marcia
I waited a month for this book in my library system, which tells me that there is at least some demand for books with Paleo recipes or about the Paleo lifestyle. I say that to say this: this book would probably sell reasonably well if it had a better publisher, including 1. a copy editor 2. a developmental editor 3. a graphic designer 4. a photo editor and 5. a format that does not resemble a softcover heavy glossy-stock catalog that necessitates carrying and reading with two hands.

There are pro...more
Tatjana
Nothing I made in this book came out tasty. I donated it to my library.
Deodand
I'm not a paleo/primal eater - I came to this book for advice and recipes that feature fewer grains. There are a few recipes here I'll try, and some pretty good ideas for side dishes. But...I'm not thrilled with the amount of coconut in this recipe book. I realize it's a major source of sweetness to the paleo/primal crowd but it's not very sustainable where I live.

My opinions about the recipes aside, this is a nicely-organized book with big photos of every recipe.
Jenna
Beautiful but complicated. A better cooking book for entertaining and special occasions. For example, most of the recipes use palm shortening and I can't find this anywhere. While there are substitutes offered, I like to stick with the original recipes first time around. Other than that, useful and pretty. The layout could be better (it's a bit cluttered), but all around good effort.
Elisabeth Hurley
I got this one from the library. Wonderful, inspiring photos make it easy to flick through and find something you want to make. I've made a few recipes so far and I'm pretty pleased with how they came out. The raspberry muffins were a little too sweet (my son complained they tasted like cupcakes!) but I like this book a lot and plan to add it to *my* library at some point.
C.M.
Yes, I read this recipe book. It's just fantastic. EACH recipe comes with a full color photo which is really phenomenal. There are a lot of good ideas, information on the Paleo diet and personal anecdotes on the recipes that really make this book feel as if you have been given a personal gift from the authors.
AnandaTashie
This book features over 200 grain-free recipes, each with full color photos and easy to follow instructions. None of the recipes call for a million ingredients, which is much appreciated by me. And, though it's not "strictly paleo", the dessert section is completely fantastic for grain-free, low-sweetener yummies.
Aimee
Amazing cookbook for anyone interested in paleo/primal/gluten-free cooking. This cook book is HUGE, with a wealth of information and recipes. It reads like a novel, but with amazing photography included. All recipes tested so far have turned out as described and terrific!
Marina
Currently on a diet similar to Paleo.Love this book.My holistic nurse suggested I read it.Still reading it.Love the images in here.Plus, easy to understand and follow recipes. Great charts in the beginning of the book.Hope to make sweet potato fries soon!
Ryan
This book does an amazing job of explaining some principals of Paleo eating prior to showing you all the amazing recipies they have. Check out their website, and try their eBook "30 Day Intro to Paleo" If you are thinking about changing your diet!
Jeanne
I thought the cookbooks had great pictures and a great layout. Most of the recipes didn't catch my eye though. Some of that is due to the fact that I live in a small town where it is difficult to find certain types of meat like lamb.
Marty Wilson
These guys have written the most amazing and comprehensive, life-saving book on the Paleo lifestyle. Well researched and amazingly tasty foods that will ensure that you are on your way to a more healthy body.

A BIG book. I loved it!
Amy
Such a good recipe book, must buy a copy for myself so I can use it for longer than the library copy I checked out. Tons of grain free recipes, including tons of treat recipes and good main course preparations.
Brooke
The recipes are phenomenal and simple, and they have some good cooking tips throughout the book. There is a full page photo for every recipe and the pictures of the food look delicious. Great cookbook for paleo lovers!
Monique
Wonderful book more than a cookbook. Clearly describes the Paleo way and gives you a step-by-step process of change. There were a few editing issues with cook time and ingredients.
Deb
I have looked into quite a few cookbooks of the paleo/primal type. I liked this one a lot because the food is simple and delicious. Didn't need to buy a lot of strange ingredients.
Heather Wiese
Some great recipes in here for paleo eating. I appreciate the simpler recipes, because let's face it, we don't all have time to cook extravagant meals. I need quick ideas!
Kari Metzger
Best paleo book I've tried - so yummy, and great if you are celiac or diabetic! Highly recommend as the book you start with if you eliminate wheat or sugar from your diet!
Stephanie
The recipes are so tasty! I made the lasagna for my pasta loving family and they are it up!! No complaints!!! I will be cooking with this book for a long time!
Christina
My favorite paleo cookbook--beautiful photos and easy-to-follow recipes. I have several food allergies and found these recipes easy to adapt, as well.
Joi
I am in love with this book. It's helped others become more inteigued with Paleo and doesn't make me seem like I'm on a weird diet lol.
Jenn
There are some definite reasons to get this book but it is probably the one we turn to least right now.
Cinda
Jan 22, 2013 Cinda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: paleo
Of the many paleo cookbooks that I have checked out from our library, this is one of the three I had to buy.
Lisa Voecks

Great cookbook with photos for every recipe. I might buy this one.
Elizabeth
Good recipes, and an interesting read.
Caitlin Iles
Caitlin Iles marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
  • Paleo Comfort Foods: Homestyle Cooking for a Gluten-Free Kitchen
  • Well Fed: Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat
  • Eat Like a Dinosaur: Recipe and Guidebook for Gluten-Free Kids
  • Everyday Paleo
  • Practical Paleo: A Customized Approach to Health and a Whole-Foods Lifestyle
  • Primal Blueprint Quick and Easy Meals: Delicious, Primal-Approved Meals You Can Make in Under 30 Minutes
  • Against All Grain: Delectable Paleo Recipes to Eat Well & Feel Great
  • The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook: Breakfasts, Entrées, and More
  • Primal Body, Primal Mind: Beyond the Paleo Diet for Total Health and a Longer Life
  • Nom Nom Paleo: Food for Humans
  • The Paleo Diet Cookbook: More Than 150 Recipes for Paleo Breakfasts, Lunches, Dinners, Snacks, and Beverages
  • The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet
  • Perfect Health Diet: Regain Health and Lose Weight by Eating the Way You Were Meant to Eat
  • Rich Food Poor Food: Your Grocery Purchasing System
  • The Paleo Approach: Reverse Autoimmune Disease and Heal Your Body
  • It Starts with Food: Discover the Whole30 and Change Your Life in Unexpected Ways
  • The Mood Cure: The 4-Step Program to Take Charge of Your Emotions--Today
Gather, the Art of Paleo Entertaining The 30 Day Guide to Paleo Cooking: Entire Month of Paleo Meals Make it Paleo: Over 200 Grain Free Recipes for Any Occasion Make it Paleo II: Over 150 New Grain-Free Recipes for the Primal Palate Fermented: A Four Season Approach to Paleo Probiotic Foods