Start by marking “Spider-Girl, Vol. 1: Family Values” as Want to Read:
Spider-Girl, Vol. 1: Family Values

Spider-Girl, Vol. 1: Family Values

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  9 reviews
An all-new hero for an all-new era! Not every fight can be resolved by punching someone in the face - but Spider-Girl's gonna punch somebody anyway, just to make sure. Follow the swinging adventures of Anya Corazon, the Splendiferous Spider-Girl, as she balances the daily grind of teenage life with the bumps and bruises brought by banging 'bows with bad guys! Guest-starrin ...more
Published August 31st 2011 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Spider-Girl, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spider-Girl, Vol. 1

Nikki
This was fun, a good place to jump in on Spider-girl. It seems that as this volume opens, she's lost her powers, but she's still doing her best to fight crime -- and maintain an impressive presence on social media. I enjoyed her wise-cracking, apparently a Spider-people necessity, and the emotional side of her development in this story.

Anya's normal life is pretty solid, with friends and eventually a roommate, contacts outside the superhero world (unlike, say, Captain America). I liked Spider-m
Matt Anderson
Collects Spider-Girl issues #1-8 and material from Amazing Spider-Man #648

There is a lot to complain about when it comes to this collection. First of all, I thought that I would be reading an origin story, but it turns out that this character already existed before the events of this book. They do a quick explanation of who she is, but I left that brief description still confused about her history.

Then, we dive into her story, but I never really care about the character. When she quickly experi
amy boese
One of my favorite additions to Marvel's line-up was Arana, plucky teen struggling to find her way in the world as a spider-girl. No, the stories weren't always inspired, but they were not utter dreck, or highly sexualized, or ridiculous. They were something my daughters and myself identified with and enjoyed reading.

Reading Spider-girl, (the incarnation of Arana minus her superpowers) still trying to figure it all out was terrific. Again, the writing and character development are a bit uneven
William Dickerson
I love this Spider-Girl. (Yes, I want May, but considering that May is an alternate history character, it wouldn't make sense to have her pop up.) Anya's character is inspiring and fun especially since she has no spider powers to help her. (I did have some issues with the coloring. There were several times that she looked white rather than hispanic.)
Shaun
Anya Corazon was the superhero Aranya. Now she has adopted the persona of Spider-Girl. This is the collection of her short-lived stint as the title character of her own book. The book has moments of brilliance, but is terribly inconsistent artistically and narratively. It was a treat to see Matthew Southworth's art in here. The book is fun, but ultimately the book is too scattered to hold together well.
Robert 'Rev. Bob'
This book strikes an interesting balance between the usual "superhero outlook" that most costumed characters have and the "ordinary guy viewpoint" from books like Marvels and Front Line. I like the blend; it reminds you that Anya is, after all, a non-powered teenager who's generally fighting above her weight class.

Well done, and I hope to see more of her in the future.
Tessa
Loved this title. For the most part S-G was drawn with a normally athletic body, and the emotional part of the plot was weirdly powerful (I didn't expect it, at least). There's a nice meaty story that can be read as standalone, and somehow the constant tweeting wasn't too annoying.
Margareth
I like Spider-Girl's real life relationships and interactions, but I found the villains and her constant banter uninspiring. I'll stick with it a few more issues to see if things pick up though.
Brandi Read
Brandi Read marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Misty
Misty marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Jordan Lahn
Jordan Lahn marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Ampersandstone
Ampersandstone marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Alex
Alex marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Marla Haasz
Marla Haasz marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Jaaziah
Jaaziah marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Last week I got an exercise bike, and all my muscles are sore. But in the good way.
More about Paul Tobin...
Prepare to Die! Gingerbread Girl Colder, Volume 1 I Was the Cat Plants vs. Zombies: Lawnmageddon