Start by marking “Cal Ripken, Jr.'s All-Stars: Super-Sized Slugger” as Want to Read:
Cal Ripken, Jr.'s All-Stars: Super-Sized Slugger

Cal Ripken, Jr.'s All-Stars: Super-Sized Slugger

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Cody Parker may be overweight (he prefers the word burly), but he plays third base like a dream. Too bad no one knows it yet, because he’s new to Baltimore, where he’s a target—okay, a big target—for brutal teasing. Even worse, he’s competing for the starting job on the Orioles of the Dulaney Babe Ruth League against budding hoodlum.

Dante Rizzo, who vows to squeeze Cody’s
Audio CD
Published March 13th 2012 by Listening Library (Audio) (first published March 6th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Cal Ripken, Jr.'s All-Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cal Ripken, Jr.'s All-Stars

Ms. Yingling
Cody is not happy about moving from Wisconsin to Baltimore, especially since he has to put up with fellow students' assessments of him as "the fat kid" until he can prove himself at baseball. Even this is difficult because of Dante, who plays the same position as Cody and is the school bully. He makes Cody's life miserable until neighbor (and sports enthusiast) Jessica gets a good kick in when Dante is trying to beat up Cody. Things go pretty well in baseball, and Cody starts to fit in and even ...more
Jose Ramirez
Title: Super Sized slugger
By: Cal Ripken Jr,Kevin Cowherd
I think that Super Sized Slugger is a very good book because its about a kid who plays baseball and he is on a team.The kids name is cody he goes to school and does everything right then one day a girl came to school and her name was Jessica and she played baseball to.Then one day they went to play catch and she was good at throwing then when they went to school cody got tackeled and then they started to fight then Jessica came and helped
Mrs. Carbonneau's Class
Liz Fortner

I read Super-sized slugger by: by Cal Ripken, Jr. Thirteen-year-old Cody Parker moves to Baltimore, Maryland from Wisconsin, where as a fat eighth-grader, he has to deal with brutal teasing from a baseball teammate, and his school is beset by a rash of mysterious thefts that threaten to sideline Cody and ruin an awesome season for his team. I thought it was a really good book.
I like how it was about sports. I also like how there was a girl that did karate and stuck up for her friends,
Kylee Copeland
This book was called Super-sized Slugger by Cal Ripken Jr. This book kept me on my toes and I couldnt stop reading it! Basically there is an 8th grader who just moved from Wisconsin and there is a bully who is pushing him around. He signs up for a baseball team and makes it but the coach puts him in right field and everyone knew that right field was for the nerds and fat kids. All the kids at school would tease him and call him mean names, but he made everybody shutup until they saw him on the ...more
NICOLE SCRIBNER
This book, written by Cal Ripken is an excellent book to help build character, morals, and principles for young readers. I enjoyed reading this. Both of my children play baseball, so I picked it up when we were in Aberdeen, MD along with a few other of his books.

Anyway, Cody Parker is the new kid on the block. His dad took a transfer from Milwaukee, Wi to Baltimore, MD as part of a job promotion. Now his dad is police detective. However, Cody stayed inside and remained sedentary most of the summ
Vijay
This book was an amazing read. If you are looking for a Realistic Fiction book, you need to read this book. This book is very fast paced, and I just couldn't put the book down!

Cody Parker, the star slugger on his baseball team, is caught with somebody else's phone in his binder. He will not be able to play in the championship game of the league if he can't find out the true thief. What will happen?

The book's author is Cal Ripken Junior, a very accomplished baseball player, who played third base
Libby
I originally picked this up at the library when I saw the authors: Cal Ripken, Jr., of Baltimore Orioles' fan, and Kevin Cowherd, a Baltimore sportswriter. For a complete non-sports person, this was quite a good story, following Cody's adjustment to Maryland after a move from Wisconsin, making new friends, and dealing with a bully.

Despite the title, Cody's weight is only a side issue...a little confusing, because the first few chapters make it clear that most of his weight is stockiness/body ty
Shem Henrichsen
The theme of this book is courage. One example of the theme is when Cody stood up to his bully to make him confess. Another example is when Cody did well in baseball even when he was threatened to be hurt if he did so. An example of symbolism is Prince Fielder. People should read this book because it is a great example of how baseball changes lives.
Kathleen
Decent book, but not stellar. A solid story for kids who want to identify with characters that are not so picture-perfect but are still athletic. As a "super-sized" kid on the team, some kids to make fun of the protagonist--at least until they find out how talented, how dedicated to the idea of "team", and what a good guy he is. He's a nice kid, one you'd want your kid to befriend.
Carrie
Really well written book for boys, and I enjoyed it as an adult too. The characters are well developed and Ripken injects quite a bit of humor - I found myself laughing out loud numerous times. Nice story with a good message about bullying - and how to handle it. Very baseball focused - not surprising - so am not sure how "into it" young girls would be, despite the good story.
Lara
May 02, 2012 Lara added it
Shelves: boys-read
This is the 2nd book in this series and I've read them both out loud to my boys. This book had a good story line, just like the first. We often found ourselves laughing at some of the characters and how they interact with one another, especially the players on the baseball team. We'll look forward to additional books if they are written!
Michael
Cody Parker is thrilled to have landed on his new baseball team, and most of the Orioles are thrilled to have their new third baseman and fifth-hitting slugger. Who isn’t thrilled? How about the Oriole’s old third baseman and fifth-hitting slugger?
Tammy Siegel
Audiobook review: The story is good but the reader's voice sounds like he should be standing behind a white van luring kids in with candy.
Sharon Davies
great for lit circle, good themes: bullying, adjustment, friendship, courage, problem solving....
Linda
solid sports books that also deals with friendship, fitting in, and bullying
Becky
Better than I expected!
Michael Johnson
im still reading i like it
Pam Ladd
Pam Ladd marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Kausartasleen
Kausartasleen marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Trevon Wilson
Trevon Wilson is currently reading it
Sep 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Cal Ripken, Jr. was a shortstop and third baseman for the Baltimore Orioles for his entire career (1981-2001). Nicknamed “The Iron Man” for his relentless work ethic and reliability on the field, Ripken is most remembered for playing a record 2,632 straight games over 17 seasons. He was a 19-time All Star and is considered to be one of the best shortstops professional baseball has ever seen. In 20 ...more
More about Cal Ripken Jr....
Hothead The Only Way I Know Get in the Game: 8 Elements of Perseverance That Make the Difference Cal Ripken, Jr.'s All-Stars Wild Pitch Play Baseball the Ripken Way: The Complete Illustrated Guide to the Fundamentals