Start by marking “Mestiza (Covenant, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mestiza (Covenant, #1)

Mestiza (Covenant #1)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  48,580 ratings  ·  4,167 reviews
Los Hematoi provienen de la unión entre dioses y mortales, y los hijos de dos Hematois de sangre pura tienen poderes divinos. En cambio los hijos de Hematois y mortales, no. Los mestizos solo tienen dos opciones: ser entrenados para ser centinelas, cazando y matando Daimons o convertirse en sirvientes en las casas de los puros. Alexandria prefiere arriesgar su vida luchand ...more
Published October 18th 2011 by Ediciones Kiwi (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Mestiza, please sign up.

Jessica Are you familiar with Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy? If so, then there is a similar sense of plot to Armentrout's Covenant series. This series is…moreAre you familiar with Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy? If so, then there is a similar sense of plot to Armentrout's Covenant series. This series is still unique in its own, however, and an awesome read. (If you do decide to read the books, then you'll know what I mean when I say that the series is worth it just for Aiden and Seth). If you haven't read the Vampire Academy series, then I highly recommend you read the Covenant series. It is based on Greek mythology and actually makes for a very entertaining read.

As for the Lux series, I can see some parallels. The plot and basis of the two series are complete and polar opposites, but the characters' traits are distinctly similar. Armentrout includes a lot of snark and hilarity in the Covenant series (which actually makes it all the more interesting to read...not that the books are bad as a standalone, but her amazing sense of humor shows in her writing) and Aiden is striking similar to Daemon in the Lux series. Both men are fiercely protective, somewhat standoffish at times, but are completely and utterly willing to die for the woman that they love. Oh, and they're also both unbelievably sexy. ;)(less)
Eleanor & Park by Rainbow RowellThe DUFF by Kody KeplingerIf I Stay by Gayle FormanBajo la misma estrella by John GreenDivergent by Veronica Roth
libros
62nd out of 95 books — 11 voters

More lists with this book...

Ezmirelda
SPOILER ALERT **THERE ARE SPOILERS FOR BOTH VAMPIRE ACADEMY (the whole series) AND HALF BLOOD BELOW***

Similarities Between Half-Blood and Vampire Academy

EVERY. SINGLE. THING.

*CAUTION* if you're looking for originality this is not the book for you.

It's like the author just took Vampire Academy and changed all the names. The only character missing from this story is Lissa. Read below for details

*EDIT* Apparently Lissa is in this book as well. You know the connection that Rose and Lisa have that a
Emily May

Surely this book is illegal. I mean, someone once tried to sue J.K. Rowling because their book included a kind of wizard sport tournament similar to the one found in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, they claimed she had stolen the idea from them... and this small matter takes up such a minuscule percentage of the novel! Not to mention the fact that no one I knew had ever heard of the guy's novel before...

Now, pretty much everyone I speak to has heard of - if not read - the Vampire Academy s
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
In Daimon, the short story prequel, Alex’s mother was killed by a group of Strigoi daimons, but Alex was lucky enough to escape. At the beginning of Half-Blood, she is found by Dimitri Aiden and other Guardians Sentinels and returned to the Covenant, where she hopes to continue her education. However, the dean is none too happy with her. She has lost three years of training and he thinks she shouldn’t be allowed to rejoin her classmates. Instead, he wants to give her the elixir which will turn h ...more
Stacia (the 2010 club)
More VA similarities come out here and here. And that's not even my entire list of similarities. I just got tired of marking them all (because there were so many) when it started getting down to them both having rose necklaces as a significant thing and other random little details sprinkled throughout just about everywhere.

*edit* July 2012*. Sigh. Eff it. I really didn't want to have a star rating on this book because of my mixed feelings (good and bad) but since I'm not risking having yet anoth
Rachel E. Carter
Fast-paced and infused with JLA humor that has since become the norm when I read her books. Felt like the school aspect of the plot was a bit unrealistic (haven't read Vampire Academy so not sure if it was an issue in that one too) but I could be a bit biased in boarding school-related settings. Liked the main character, Alex, and Aiden, her teacher-crush. Seth was by far the favorite but he didn't have too many parts in this one. I loved how she shares the same role as Seth and he doesn't get a ...more
AriaStuckinWonderland
Dec 03, 2014 AriaStuckinWonderland rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Myth inspired books lovers!
Recommended to AriaStuckinWonderland by: Eunice

WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT???!

This is what I was talking about! Ms. Armentrout! You really know how to make your fans scream out more!!!

Merged review:

MY REACTION AFTER READING THE BOOK:

[image error]
Yes! I am extremely happy!
This book exceeded my expectations!

THE GIST

Here are some of the things you need to know about first before I get to the real gist of this book. We all know that the Greek gods were very fond of mingling with humans. And when they mingle with humans in a not so innocent w
MISS VAIN
"There's nothing like a bunch of catty teenagers who could either kick your ass halfway across the country or set you on fire with a mere thought.

That alone changed who people picked fights with or became friends with.
And at the end of the day, it was always good to have a Firestarter in your back pocket."

Okay soooo As a HUGE Vampire Academy fan please allow me to adress the whole "It's just like V.A. Issue"..... Well it did have several moments especially in the beginning as well as the co
Avital
First I would like to say I've never given a book 1 star, because I think that just the dedication of an author earns him at list 2 stars. The second thing is that I think that's the longest review I've ever wrote. It says something.

This book doesn't deserve rating at all. Because it was a perfect copy of Vampire Academy series. And not in a good way.
I'm utterly disappointed and upset with Jennifer L. Armentrout. How can she do that? How did the publishers let her publish a book that is a copy o
Kate Kaynak
This book is amazing! Fans of VAMPIRE ACADEMY will love it. The main character, Alex, has a wonderfully edgy, sarcastic voice, and she's simultaneously strong and vulnerable. I pulled this query out of the slush pile and read the manuscript in a day--I couldn't put it down! Put this on your "to-read" list; you won't be disappointed!
Laura Marcela ✎・:*:・
description

You will kill the ones you love.
Fate had been right about that.

Blurb: The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi pure bloods have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals--well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures. Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up s
Jacqueline's Reads
FIVE FUN FACTS about JENNIFER L. ARMENTROUT + Book Signing Photos - > HERE

6 FUCK ME HARD (OR JUST RUB UPON ME) AIDEN STARS

It’s not secret I am a Jennifer L. Armentrout (J.Lynn) fan. Yes, I have a girl crush list (just like a book boyfriend list) and she is an author that is on there. So, with my mini me (that’s my reading buddy, I call her mini me, b/c she’s ten years younger than me and reminds me of me ten years ago) told me to read Half-Blood, I said, well what the heck.

Oh my god, where h
Jamie-leigh Haughn
I really enjoyed this book, my only issue is I found it very similar to Vampire Academy. I wish I would have read this one first, because I really love Jennifer L. Armentrout's writing style! I'm looking forward to seeing where this story will go.
Ceitidh
Okay, a few people has asked me why I only gave 1 cheap star to this book that seems to be a favorite of so many. So, I decided to explain how I feel towards this book with the following points.

But first, I am sorry in advance if I offend a fan of this series. I know it hurts when someone talks crap about a book you love and I know this book has tones of fans but SORRY!

So here I go!

1. I got almost halfway through the book. I read like 45% of it and I couldn't keep reading. So yes, I didnt' finis
Donna {Book Passion for Life}
"Alex?" I turned around, figuring he'd changed his mind and was going to order me to see Marcus in the morning and fess up to my bad behaviour. "Yeah ?" He brushed a lock of dark hair off his forehead and flashed that lopsided smile. "I remember you" I scrunched up my face. "What?" The grin increased to a full smile. And... oh, man. He had dimples. The air in my lungs died. "I remember you, too"

Where do I even begin by writing this review? Well……Half-Blood left me utterly speechless. It comple
Abbi Glines
UGH! Now I have to wait until April to find out if she gets her head on straight and realizes Seth is her man!!! LOL! Loved this book =)
Booknut
Re-read 30/9/13:

Re-reading this book was like visiting an old friend with a great sense of humour! I fell in love with this series all over again from the very first page - the tale of Alex, the kickass halfblood heroine, and her journey, one that I will never, ever tire of :)

Original Review

"It was him - Aiden St.Delphi."

As soon as I read that I was all like, "Oooooh yeah. She's got it baaaaaad." But then I read about how pures and halfs can't be together and I was all:

Shit. Is. Going. To. Go.
Annie Brewer
I can not say it enough---I LOVE a story from the guy's POV!!! It is so much more powerful than from the girls. As a girl myself, I know how we think-feel-want. But there is nothing sexier than getting into the guy's head and witnessing their vulnerable side, especially since we the readers get to see it all first before the girl does. Ahhh, it's a beautiful thing! And Aiden? He's a beautiful guy! God, he's beautiful and lucious. And sexy. And dammit, I can not shut up! Okay, well I liked this t ...more
Britney
I just love everything she writes. And not because she is writing literary gold rather she pulls me into these worlds and I never want to leave!
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
 photo tumblr_mocqncejGj1r9ccwso1_500_zpsc5213ec6.jpg

Half-Blood is book one in the Covenant series by Jennifer Armentrout. The world Jennifer has created in this series is both disturbing and amazing. This book has both intense action and sweet love. I was hooked on page one.

photo tumblr_n263von7sn1snlqo0o1_500_zpsf397d852.png

Alexandria or Alex for short is a Half-Blood. Her mother is a pure and her father whom she never met was a mortal. Pures are like the royalty. Half-Bloods not so much. Halfs are either trained as Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or they are forced into servitude for the
Sabrina
Apr 26, 2012 Sabrina rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who liked the Vampire Academy series and would like to read the same thing over and over
Shelves: did-not-finish
I just got into the first few pages and the "WTF counter" was already exploding.

I get it that you'd like to write a book but don't have anything new to say.
I get it that you are unsure and feel more secure using elements already proven successful.
I get it that you REALLY liked the Vampire Academy series.
I don't think you have to be completely original to write a (good) book: you are allowed to pick ideas here and there.

But.

SERIOUSLY.

COME ON.
Anna
Cutout- something cut out from something else, as a pattern or figure cut out or intended to be cut out of paper, cardboard, or other material.

Now I apologize if that's not what happened here. But that's exactly how Half-Blood felt to me, having read Vampire Academy.

It's not like I'm saying it's the same because of one element of the story. There are so many similarities.
Our protagonist Alex is a half-blood.

Taken from the blurb: The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the c
Khanh (Clowns, Nightmares, and Bunnies)
I might have rated this book higher had I read this before Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy series. As it stands, the characters and the plot all feels like a very watered down version of VA. I couldn't help comparing one character to the next, and they all felt lacking. The premise is slightly different, but the boarding school setting, the reviled and necessary half-bloods, the evil daimons/strigoi, all felt rehashed, and not in a good way.

Alex is Rose, without the spunk, with more slut-shaming
~Tina~
What a fantastic and sensational book!!
Half Blood has everything I look for in a read and more. Remarkable writing, an intriguing plot, a kickass protag, swoon worthy characters, forbidden love, hope and a fate destined.
I absolutely loved this book!!

Alex is such a great character, but what I love most about her is that she has so much more potential to grow and be the person that I know she can become. Aiden is my favorite kind of sexy. Strong, loyal and smoldering and brooding never looked so
Arlene
Sep 27, 2011 Arlene rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Vampire Academy
Recommended to Arlene by: Bookittyblog - ARC Tour
Rating Clarification: 4.5 Stars

After reading the pre-qual Daimon by Jennifer L. Armentrout I was excited to get my hands on the first full installment Half Blood, so thank you to Bookittyblog for including me in the book tour.

Half Blood has everything I love about paranormal adventures, including fast paced action, constant turmoil and excitement, as well as a group of characters that make me want to just jump into the book and take down some Daimons right along with them. It was full on fun an
Yodamom
I enjoyed the story, loved/hated the characters with exuberance. I was intrigued by the mythology around the edges. I wanted to kiss the ground and scream "thanks book gods for finally doing it right" but I didn't I would have probably gotten smacked by a falling book for that. I love the feeling of greediness when I finish a book.
So the story is about a girl who finds herself alone after her mother is killed by evil life sucking zombies (my name), she is forced to go back to the place her moth
Gabriella ♡
4.5

This book was a big surprise for me. I don't like Armentrout's Lux series, but this other series really intrigues me right now. I can't wait to read the next books!
I just really really love Alex and Aiden together. And who knows? Maybe I'll love Seth just as much.
For now he's really nice (even if in the beginning I couldn't bear him and his behavior xD)
Alex is one of the best female characters I've read about: she's strong, badass, sassy and a lot fun. And I love that she acts and punches pe
Pilar ☽
3.5 STARS!

*I'M GONNA MAKE A FULL REVIEW WHEN I FINISH THIS SERIES*

I really liked it but I didn't love it like I thought I would... I couldn't connect with the "romance" of the story, yet. However, JLA's books never fail to dissapoint me. Her world-building fascinated me, the story was beautiful written and it got the perfect ammount of action and humor. The characters were great, Jennifer succesfully created a badass heroine, Alexandria has everything I could ever look for in a character, I rea
Alexa

My review can also be found on my blog Collections.

Once I was done reading Daimon, I was so glad I had an ARC of Half-Blood in hand and hoped it was as good as the prequel. I can safely say that Half-Blood exceeded any expectations I had! I completely loved it! It was so awesome that it's now one of my favorite YA paranormals, and if this keeps up, I know Covenant could end up being a definite favorite series of mine!

After three years in hiding with her pure-blood mother, 17-year-old Alexandria
Tough Critic Book Reviews
Reviewed at: http://toughcriticbookreviews.blogspo...

Jennifer Armentrout...I really think I may be in love with you. Seriously, I'm about as straight as they come, but after reading Obsidian and immediately following it up with Half-Blood!!! I heart you!! Where have you been all my life??? I'm gagged and bound to the band-wagon attached to the Jennifer L. Armentrout train and I love it!!! What a ride.

Now let me take a running head start and jump on my insanely large soap-box. To all you readers
❀❋УᗩᔕᗰᎥИƎ❋❀
Oct 11, 2014 ❀❋УᗩᔕᗰᎥИƎ❋❀ rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Vampire Academy
Shelves: mythology
VAMPIRE ACADEMY REINCARNATE?!?

The resemblance is striking!

I felt as if I were rereading Vampire Academy while reading this.

I couldn't help but compare the two books to one another...

So here's a brief list of why I felt that way:

Well for starters, Alex has the same personality as Rose
Aiden reminds me very much of Dimitri with his accent and all
I'm pretty sure Caleb is code word for Mason because they're so much alike
This book initiates with Alex on the run, but Aiden catches her. Sound v
The Chapter 5 Boo...: November Book Club Discussion: HALF-BLOOD by Jennifer L. Armentrout 44 228 Aug 28, 2015 07:36AM
So I need some help on my new book conquest 5 30 Aug 16, 2015 11:18PM
The Half-Bloods: Half-Blood Love 5 43 Jun 17, 2015 05:06AM
the book eaters: This topic has been closed to new comments. Half Blood May BOTM 1 2 Jun 05, 2015 06:20PM
TEAM Seth or TEAM Aiden? 12 39 May 27, 2015 07:52AM
Better than Vampire Academy...? 27 271 May 23, 2015 03:58AM
The Challenge Fac...: Sadie & Runell - Half-Blood 9 12 May 22, 2015 10:02PM
  • Awry (The Archers of Avalon, #2)
  • Dark Frost (Mythos Academy, #3)
  • Incendiary (The Premonition, #4)
  • Scorched Skies (Fire Spirits, #2)
  • Billow (Ondine Quartet, #2)
  • Spark (Elemental, #2)
  • An Iron Fey Valentine (The Iron Fey #4.4)
  • Endless Magic (Star-Crossed, #4)
  • Wings of the Wicked (Angelfire, #2)
  • Blood Warrior (The Alexa Montgomery Saga, #1)
  • Toxic (Denazen, #2)

To email me, please use the below addy.
jenniferlarmentrout@live.com

# 1 New York Times and USA Today Bestselling Author Jennifer L. Armentrout Lives in West Virginia.

All the rumors you heard
More about Jennifer L. Armentrout...

Covenant (5 books)
  • Pure (Covenant, #2)
  • Deity (Covenant, #3)
  • Apollyon (Covenant, #4)
  • Sentinel (Covenant, #5)
Obsidian (Lux, #1) Onyx (Lux, #2) Opal (Lux, #3) Origin (Lux, #4) Pure (Covenant, #2)

“So? What are you going to do about it? Throw your mashed potatoes at me? I'm consumed by terror.” 725 likes
“Okay. I’m ready to move onto something else, like practicing with knives or defense against the dark arts. Cool things.”
“Did you just quote Harry Potter?”
722 likes