Start by marking “Japan - Culture Smart!: The Essential Guide to Customs & Culture” as Want to Read:
Japan - Culture Smart!: The Essential Guide to Customs & Culture

Japan - Culture Smart!: The Essential Guide to Customs & Culture

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Japan is at a crossroads. The postwar economic miracle that brought it unprecedented development and prosperity is over. Since the publication of the first Culture Smart! guide, it has been overtaken by China as the world’s second-largest economy. The balance of power in Asia has shifted and new players are entering the field. Loss of influence abroad, economic pressure at ...more
Published June 28th 2011 by Kuperard (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Japan - Culture Smart!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Japan - Culture Smart!

Barbara
As the title says it's an useful guide to avoid imbarassing situation in dealing with japanese people (inside and outside Japan). This guide was meant for business american men, but nonethe less it's quite enjoyable and useful.
Amanda
Excellent cultural overview for a first-time Japan visitor. A bunch of key concepts are touched on, and it helps a foreigner feel a bit more comfortable with attitudes and cultural thinking that is (often) very different than the West. Bought and gave away a few copies of this to friends and family that came to visit me while I was in Japan.
Tom Marcinko
Read in prep for a trip to Tokyo. It was useful.

Some quotes:

There had already been a precedent for such a[n environmental] movement at the end of the nineteenth century, led by Tanaka Shozo, arising out of appalling copper-mining pollution in parts of northern Honshu.

Japan’s “Outcasts”…
…burakumin, or less acceptably, eta—the historic “unclean” underclass associated with the production of leather and other blood-related industries, such as the running of slaugterhouses.
…there is a significant “no
Nick
A really decent and light read. Nothing in depth, more of a cultural and customs survival guide to browse through before going and can be an introductory book and has decent insights for everyone, not just the middle aged business man. I really don't think the historical end does much justice, but the region has so much history and I'm sure the author really had to cram it in. There are better books, but this is ok for hopping on the plane and reading before you land.
Daniel Kukwa
Now THIS is a little gem that lives up to the series title of "Culture Smart". Full of little tid-bits -- both humourous and pointed -- designed to keep you from embarrassing yourself (to various degress) in a culture that can seem exceedingly alien to North Americans. It's the perfect compliment to the "Lonely Planet" guides, and it proved invaluable on more than one occasion during my 2009 trip to Japan.
Marek
This book contains some interesting and useful information about culture and etiquette in Japan. I've read it before my trip to Japan and it was definitely worth it. I would recommend this little book to everyone who travels to Japan as it can help you to avoid some mistakes or to prevent some misunderstandings brought about by different customs and traditions.
☆Meredith (メルたん)♪
While it had a good deal of interesting information (like I didn't know you shouldn't cross your chopsticks when setting them upon the holder), it seemed more geared towards middle-aged business-men. I have yet to find a guide to Japan for teens! D:
Kerry
I will have to fill in stars and review when I return from Japan in June and can determine if any of the information in this book was helpful.
Eric
Part of my ongoing quest to learn about Japan while my son is there. This is an accessible and engaging introduction to Japanese culture.
Jessica Nguyen
For someone who knows nothing about Japanese culture, customes and everything, the book offers good elementary education.
Donalyn
A few too many exclamations points and condescending remarks about travelers, but useful for my Japan trip.
Aran Chandran
A great up to date introduction of the society and people of Japan. Good to read before a trip to Japan.
Spring
Oct 22, 2007 Spring rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: travelers
Shelves: travel
Good little quick read.
Brad Wilcox
Brad Wilcox is currently reading it
Nov 05, 2014
Bre
Bre marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Don
Don marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Exlit
Exlit marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Joshua Spencer
Joshua Spencer marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
ewan colquhoun
ewan colquhoun marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Britain - Culture Smart!: the essential guide to customs & culture Japan - Culture Smart!: The Essential Guide to Customs & Culture Britain - Culture Smart!: The Essential Guide to Customs & Culture Japan Attitude ! Le petit guide des usages et coutumes Business in Japan: A Guide to Japanese Business Practice and Procedure