Start by marking “What Evolution Is” as Want to Read:
What Evolution Is

What Evolution Is

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  1,464 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Paperback
Published December 5th 2002 by Phoenix (first published January 28th 1964)

To ask other readers questions about What Evolution Is, please sign up.

Asma Ahmad the evolution is the processby which different kinds of living organism arebelived to havedeveloped from earlier forms, especially by natural…morethe evolution is the processby which different kinds of living organism arebelived to havedeveloped from earlier forms, especially by natural selection or gradual development or in chemistry is the giving off of gaseous product or of heat(less)

Maria
"WHAT EVOLUTION IS", a classic book on this topic, opens with an interesting foreword by Jared Diamond (author of Guns, Germs and Steel and The third Chimpanzee among other books), approaching the importance of how and why evolution needs to be understood not only by the scientific community but also by the general public. I have to say that now I understand the great influence Ernst Mayr I have read on Diamond's publications, specially the role that geography plays on speciation.

In my opinion,
Riku Sayuj

I am guessing most of the science text-books borrowed from this masterpiece to convey these ideas effectively. But that also means that when someone goes back and reads the original it sounds too text-book-ey, in presentation and content. Not many ideas here which you wouldn't have been exposed to, but still a valuable book to turn to if you are coming to the field for the first time, or after a long break.

I am giving it 3 stars only because I didn't get much out of it and had to skim through i
Geoffrey Benn
“What Evolution Is,” by renowned evolutionary biologist Ernst Mayr, is a non-mathematical overview of modern evolutionary thought. The book starts with a brief rebuttal of creationist arguments, then turns to mechanisms of evolution and speciation, and finally to human evolution. I found it to be a written at a somewhat odd level – I think that it is ideally suited for well-educated, highly motivated readers who are seriously delving into evolution for the first time, or for readers who have had ...more
Adam
Dec 28, 2009 Adam rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Adam by: Alex Hiatt
Mayr presents here a thorough overview of the current state of evolutionary science. By comparing them to the basic principles (which he states very clearly) of evolution and the processes through which it occurs, he refutes misconceptions, and thus develops for the reader a clear understanding of what evolution is NOT.

The book begins, then, with an overview of the history of evolutionary science, examining carefully how each of the historical debates regarding evolution were resolved in favor
Steven Peterson
Ernst Mayr is one of the key figures in the development of the synthetic theory of evolution, by which Mendelian genetics was wed to Darwinian natural selection. The end result is a powerful paradigm that does well in explaining change in living forms. Especially extraordinary in the case of this book is that he was nearing 100 years of age when he wrote it. And it is a literate, accessible description of evolution that non-biologists can easily understand.

My interest in Mayr goes back to gradu
Mark
Ernst Mayr is a reknown evolutionary biologist who has been writing since(at least) the late fifties. That being said, for anyone interested in this book, it must be remembered that he is not a novelist. Mayr's writing style is that of a scientist, which while thorough and although he claims this book is for the 'non-specialist', and as such the book is difficult to read unless you have at least some background in biology.

What makes this particular book special is two-fold: 1st, it is written by
Reymil
Having watched a number of National Geographic Wild shows, I was suddenly intrigued how certain animals have this inherent trait(s) that enable them to adapt with their environment. I know little of evolution, so I figured its time to broaden my knowledge about the most controversial science topic. I needed a book about evolution written specifically for nonscientist individuals like myself.

What Evolution Is is that scientific book. It's written in an accesible language that it's easy to underst
Shahine Ardeshir
Before I begin to gush about how much I enjoyed this book (and I did!), I should start with one caveat: This is not a book for casual reading. So if you're someone who's somewhat curious about evolution, I'd suggest starting with something a little lighter (Your Body: The Fish that Evolved, for instance). If, on the other hand, you're hooked on evolution and want to go into more depth, this is the book for you.

Enrst Mayr has done a fabulous job of synthesizing decades of research and debate into
Maxczapanskiy
As one of the leading evolutionary biologists of the 20th century, Ernst Mayr's work was integral in the modern evolutionary synthesis between natural selection and genetics. Before he passed away in 2005, he created what is essentially a guidebook to life - where it may have begun, how it changes over time, and the processes by which that change is effected. It is intended for the educated layperson and admirably walks the line between simplified and technical. No one would mistake Mayr for a n ...more
Aurelien
Perfect. Here at last is a great book explaining the essential facts about evolutionary biology to everyone -novices and afficionados alike. There's a lot of introductory books on the topic, but this one stands out for at least two reasons.

First, Ernst Mayr is not taking side when dealing with arguable issues. Well, he certainly has his convictions (pro-gradualism, anti-selfish gene hypothesis...) but, he is very honest and fairplay with views opoosite to his own. We can't say the same about eve
Prajapromodya
this is grate help to education ,thank you
Debrah A
Written by a highly notable figure, the book is an authoritative tome of information of what evolution is, and more importantly, what it isn't. But I must say that it would have been a good read at the time it appeared. Matter is much better organized in today's popular science books and the flow is good enough to keep most people going.

If you want an intro to Evolution, there are many more books available today than was at the time this came out. If you want a text with historical significance,
David
Sep 05, 2011 David marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Well, it was certainly an introduction to evolution, but unless you have a solid science (biology) background, or love using a dictionary/Wikipedia, I wouldn't bother starting it just yet. It really does seem to be written for some one that is more than passively familiar with biological terms and processes. If you want an introduction for the layperson, try something else. If you are currently taking or remember your biology courses, give it a go.
Tom
This is a great book, even if you are religious or not, this book will certainly answer any queries you have on evolution.
why i chose to read this- my father recommended this book to me because of my fascination with natural history and biology.
who would i recomend this to- anyone who is wondering how evolution works.
i loved this book it is probably the best book i have read since the origin of species.
Nathan
It's not that it's not informative, but it's rather too technical to be an introductory book, which, with a title like that is what you expect it to be. You actually do have to already have a background in biology (or biological anthropology) to really understand what he's talking about, which makes it exactly the wrong book to give to a layperson.
Barbara
Evolution is fact not theory and Mayr supports this statement with facts. I'm not a scientist and I found some of the scientific language overwhelming but I made myself get through it and was surprised at how much I do understand. He filled in a lot of gaps for me especially about the evolution of species. I'm glad I read it.
Zrinka
You can see that he was an old man when he wrote this book, because he keeps repeating some pieces of information, but it's absolutely splendid! If you're interested in evolution, this is your book. Even is you already know everything about evolution, you're still going to enjoy this book.
Carlos
Ernst Mayr es posiblemente el biólogo evolutivo más importante desde Darwin. Este es un libro tan básico para comprender la evolución como "El origen de las especies", y un buen punto de partida para no tener que empezar en 1859 y, sobre todo, no quedarse allí.
J
Aug 16, 2007 J rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: science
As someone about to dive into a biology degree, this book provide an excellent broad discussion of the many aspects and topics which make up evolution. It lies somewhere between the average popular science book on evolution and an undergraduate textbook.
Ali
tema evolusi adalah tema yang menjadi akar dalam biologi. buku ini berhasil membuat sedikit rangkuman tentang evolusi sebagai point of view namun buku yang tidak dimaksudkan untuk menjawab banyak keraguan tentang evolusi.
Aga
Jul 29, 2007 Aga rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anybody wanting a really great overview of evolution
I read this book knowing alot of the material in it already, but also learned a few things that I didn't know. It was very well written and anybody who is interested in learning a little bit more about evolution should read it.
Nick Black
Borders, recommendation by a friendly Morehouse history professor, 2008-05-13. An absolutely phenomenal introduction to a science I'm really, embarrassingly enough, just now coming to know.
Barefootinthedirt
This was a well written explanation of evolution. The explanation covers from the beginning to the appearance of modern humans. A great choice for teaching evolutionary theory.
Robin
I was surprisingly disappointed. I thought that this book would be fascinating and full of interesting ideas, but it was all information that I had learned in college years ago.
Jordin
Taught me the majority of what I know and understand about Evolution--no thanks to a shoddy and wanting science and bio education of my youth. Thank Darwin!
Amos Tai
If you can get through the less well organized first few chapters, the book starting from the "Natural Selection" chapter is an enjoyable and informative read.
Chad Oldham
My favorite book on evolution. Lays out all the major evidence. It's scary to think that people out there still don't "believe" in evolution.
Phil
I really enjoy reading Ernst Mayr, he has nice language and explains and clarifies what could be confusing topics clearly.
Amir-massoud
This is a good book for reviewing many historical evidences for natural evolution. It could be much more concise though.
Rex Draconis Sr
Lettura eccezionale: chiaro, sintetico e al tempo stesso solido e profondo, un capolavoro di alta divulgazione.
  • Evolution: The Triumph of an Idea
  • The Counter-Creationism Handbook
  • Darwin's Ghost: The Origin of Species Updated
  • Why Darwin Matters: The Case Against Intelligent Design
  • Life Ascending: The Ten Great Inventions of Evolution
  • Evolution: The Remarkable History of a Scientific Theory (Chronicles)
  • A Gap in Nature: Discovering the World's Extinct Animals
  • The Origin Of Humankind
  • River Out of Eden: A Darwinian View of Life
  • Becoming Human: Evolution and Human Uniqueness
19162
Ernst Walter Mayr (July 5, 1904 – February 3, 2005) was one of the 20th century's leading evolutionary biologists. He was also a renowned taxonomist, tropical explorer, ornithologist, and historian of science. His work contributed to the conceptual revolution that led to the modern evolutionary synthesis of Mendelian genetics, systematics, and Darwinian evolution, and to the development of the bio ...more
More about Ernst W. Mayr...
This is Biology: The Science of the Living World The Growth of Biological Thought: Diversity, Evolution and Inheritance One Long Argument What Makes Biology Unique?: Considerations on the Autonomy of a Scientific Discipline The Birds of Northern Melanesia: Speciation, Ecology & Biogeography