Version Control By Example

Version Control By Example

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  92 ratings  ·  13 reviews
This book uses practical examples to explain version control with both centralized and decentralized systems. Topics covered include:

Basic version control commands and concepts
Introduction to Distributed Version Control Systems (DVCS)
Advanced branching workflows
Strengths and weaknesses of DVCS vs. centralized tools
Best practices
How distributed version control works under t...more
ebook
Published July 2011 by Pyrenean Gold Press (first published January 1st 2011)

Animesh
I think this book is a perfect introduction to Version Control Systems. Even though it does not dive into the advanced specifics of any one particular VCS, it manages to cover the most needed aspects of all the popular VCS in a well formed manner. In my opinion people who have zero VCS knowledge to people who have some intermediate level exposure to VCS, will benefit the most out of this book. I am also pretty sure that even the experts will not be in for a disappointment when they read this boo...more
Soon Van
Using examples based on Git, Mecurial and Veracity (never heard of it before the book (and the author was involved in its development)), it's a nice primer on version control, especially distributed, and a good book to hand to someone coming from a world where their hard drive is full of copies of copies of files and folders that started off based on dates and then those dates were not distinct enough and then they started adding letters, but ran out of them too, and so on.

Straight forward and c...more
Kartik Singhal
Really good book for somebody new to version control systems. Presents 4 different such systems with a detailed example (since the example case taken is same, you can happily skip many pages of reading).

Author could have added more detail about how Veracity can version control databases, instead of diving deep into its API etc. details.

Overall an awesome book.
Alex
It's a great book (probably the best one) for someone who is just learning how to use version control systems. It's also a great book for experienced professionals who use VCS daily, but at the same time don't feel that they have a good foundation and just use those commands without good understanding what they are exactly doing.
Steve
A good intro and general overview of the various, more popular version control systems. An easy read with good information mixed with a bit of humor to keep it light. Filled with examples and scenarios. A good place to start if you're new to VCSs or if you're contemplating the switch to a distributed VCS.
Moshi
It does a good job explaining the advantages and disadvantages of DVCS compared to CVCS, and intorducing the two popular DVCS. One part of the book is devoted to Veracity, a DVCS made by Eric Sink's company. That part is somewhat biased, but still readable.
Philip
A nice short read for beginners. The author gave good examples of using each type of version control system (SVN, Mercurial, Git, Veracity) with clear explanations. As a fairly experienced user of SVN and Git, however, I didn't get much new information.
Camille
So far, so educational. I can't believe the number of times this book has come up in conversation in the last few weeks. I am thinking in a version controlly kinda way now, I just need to sit down and get my hands dirty.
Ingus Rūķis
Quite a nice read if you're looking at migration to some DVCS. Even though we're not using DVCS at the moment it still looks like it might be a very close future when we migrate to it.
Aija
Oct 16, 2011 Aija rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: educ
Good one for beginners and those who want to fill holes in their knowledge.
Has best practices list that everyone should be following if they don't do it already.
Vairis
Little bias because author works in company, developing one of the tools described but good to start reading about Version Control. Well written.
Christo Fogelberg
A comprehensive introduction to using distributed and non-distributed version control systems.
Juan Agüí
Might be useful for DVCS newcomers but I wouldn't recommend it for experienced readers.
Ibrahim Mohamed
Ibrahim Mohamed marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Ryan Linton
Ryan Linton marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Melvin
Melvin marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
thebridge0491
thebridge0491 marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Neha Shah
Neha Shah marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Todd Breyman
Todd Breyman marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Kaung Htet Zaw
Kaung Htet Zaw marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Nightchips
Nightchips marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Kevin Gao
Kevin Gao marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Ardianta Pargo
Ardianta Pargo marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2014
Fod
Fod marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2013
Max
Max marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »