Start by marking “American Juggalo” as Want to Read:
American Juggalo

American Juggalo

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Every summer, thousands of people congregate in Cave-in-Rock, Illinois, for the Gathering of the Juggalos, a famously outrageous music festival that has developed a distinctive subculture around it. In this single, from n+1 (Issue 12), Kent Russell gives a remarkable (and very funny) report on the festival and a sympathetic account of the situation of the white poor in the ...more
Published August 3rd 2011 by n+1 Foundation, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about American Juggalo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about American Juggalo

Sara
So much wasted potential here.
Lani
Well, that was interesting.

Kent Russell reports on his time spent at the Juggalo Gathering and gives some history and background on ICP and the Juggalo phenomenon. I knew a lot of it, and wasn't really surprised by the antics at the event, but it was still an informative read if you're curious about this subculture.

Russel takes the time to talk to the people at the event, but you're never sure if he's getting the real story since he's always instantly identified as an outsider. He at least makes
Sean Kennedy
An interesting topic is let down by a brevity that really cannot give any depth or complexity in the space allowed. I'm sure the author probably could have written a whole book about the Juggalo phenomenon. If he has plans to developing further it would be a fascinating read and one I'd definitely buy.
Ben Hart
Should have been longer but a good, largely snark-free insight into Juggalos and the Gathering. It's an interesting segment of young American underclass, in a world of bland homogenisation they're one of the few, defiantly different subcultures still around.
Hayley  Heartbreak
Pleasantly surprised by what a good read this was, my only complaint was that I wished it was longer. I'm morbidly fascinated by the Juggalo Festival, and this way I got to see it for myself from the comfort of my couch. Recommended read.
A
This was a quick an fascinating read. It's equal parts ethnographic study, music history and internal struggle. Would definitely recommend.
Veronica
Really quick read about the gathering, sometimes funny, interesting tidbits about the most misunderstood people in the world.
Michael
The author visits an Insane Clown Posse retreat of sorts. Good look inside the oddity that is the Juggalos.
Nic
A good and short insight in to the world of the Juggalo at their annual event, The Gathering.
Evelyn Pryce
Wanted more, definitely. Mr. Russell, please expand!
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Chris
Chris added it
Jan 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
I Am Sorry to Think I Have Raised a Timid Son n+1 Issue 12: Conversion Experience n+1 Issue 11: Dual Power