Start by marking “Rote Sonne, Schwarzes Land” as Want to Read:
Rote Sonne, Schwarzes Land

Rote Sonne, Schwarzes Land

4.24  ·  Rating Details ·  1,176 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
Kenia 1963: Deborah flieht aus einem brennenden Land vor einer verbotenen Liebe. Einst war ihre Familie nach Kenia gekommen, um den Eingeborenen die Segnungen der modernen Medizin zu bringen. Doch die angesehene und gefürchtete Medizinfrau Wachera kämpfte entschlossen um die Erhaltung afrikanischer Traditionen. 15 Jahre später kehrt Deborah nach Kenia zurück und fragt nach ...more
Published 2004 by Fischer-Taschenbuch-Verlag (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Rote Sonne, Schwarzes Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rote Sonne, Schwarzes Land

Kristen Walker
Oct 10, 2007 Kristen Walker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: not sure
Keep in mind my 4-star review is based on the memory of a 12-year-old. This was one of the first grown-up books I read, filched from my grandmother's stack of trashy paperbacks. I owe my grandmother my love of reading to a great extent, but she has always been an equal opportunity reader. She has never shown any sign whatsoever of discerning between good writing and bad. It's all about the story for her, I guess. And she never really talks about the books she reads. I think they are sort of like ...more
Helene Wallace
Mar 20, 2008 Helene Wallace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't remember exactly when I read this, but really enjoyed it. I've forgotten a lot of the specifics but always enjoy books that take me to countries/places I've never been but give such a clear description you feel like you're there. I've always wanted to go to Africa and this book reinforced that.
Barbara Wood is one of my favorite authors - for good reason. She really seems to research whatever time and place she is writing about. Her clear, descriptive prose brings forth vivid images of the lands and lives of her characters. This books concerns the clash of cultures that occured as white settlers took over native African land. An epic saga, this story traverses several generations as the two cultures clash, try to coexist, and clash again. The whites born in Africa see the continent as ...more
Apr 10, 2008 Maria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
En 1918 lord Valentine Treverton, como otros muchos colonos ricos, comienza a edificar un imperio cafetero en Kenia; para lograrlo, deberá pasar por encima de los derechos y de las tradiciones de los nativos. Y por ello, Treverton, arrogante y despectivo, sufrirá la maldición de Wachera, guardiana de una ancestral sabiduría. A partir de entonces, las vidas de los Treverton y de la familia de Wachera se verán inextricablemente ligadas en un torbellino de odios y amores sobre los que aletea la vie ...more
Jul 20, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am about 3/4 of the way through this book and I have to say I love it!!! This is my kind of book: historical fiction, sweeping family saga. The story spans several decades set in South Africa in the beginning of the 20th century. It features strong females characters and covers the time from the end of the first world war past the second world war. It shows life from both the white, European settlers and the African tribeswomen, It is a wonderful book! I can't wait to read more from Barbara Wo ...more
Jan 19, 2010 GoldenjoyBazyll rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jennifer
For anyone who has ever either moved to another country or went for an extend stay and tried to immerse themselves in the culture - you will find this an interesting read. The Tiverton Family (British) and Wachera (African) are linked because of a curse. The Tiverton Family came to Kenya in 1917 to make a new life for themselve. Adventurers... thrill and fortune seekers came to the land at that time. They came- they took over- they failed to learn about the intricate culture in which they moved ...more
Dec 06, 2008 Andrea rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: africa, kenya
I read this book because it referred to Nairobi, but while I wouldn't rate it well as a work of fiction, as melodrama it was a hoot. The author may jumble just about every aspect of Kenyan history in some way, but there is no variety of love forlorn that doesn't appear here, gay, straight, inter-racial, elderly, etc. Mix in an accidental self-poisoning by ether, a Mau Mau who is half Masaai and decides to donate his own mixed race baby for an oathing ceremony and it's quite a wild ride, but grea ...more
Feb 13, 2009 Ellyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007
Another fabulous Barbara Wood book -- not quite on par with Virgins of Paradise, but close. The story begins in the early 1900s and continues through the 1980s. It follows three generations of the Treverton family, wealthly British settlers in British East Africa, which becomes Kenya. Kikuyu (one of Kenya's tribes) customs and traditions are intregrated throughout the book. A quick read despite the length, and I learned a ton about Kenyan culture and history.
Sep 05, 2009 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: every person interested in another Barbara Wood-story or just interested especially in Kenya.
I totally love Barbara Wood and her stories. If you read it you just HAVE to mention she has really been in the area she is writing about because of her visual style of writing and the details she can give about the surroundings.

I've become so captivated, so fascinated I would never have layed this book aside if I would have the time for it - and even now, when I've finished it, I can't put it away because I feel almost related to it.

It's real life, the life we never want to be but which is alw
Oct 14, 2011 Gabyash rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un libro que tiene una magia para atraparte e imaginarte en el africa oriental.
Llena de pasion, amor, injusticias y riesgo.
Pero sobre todo me encanto el final, ya que no es la tipica escena romantica que el lector espera!
Si te gusta el romanticismo y el realismo a la vez, tienes que leerla!
The novel follows a British family from the time they first settle in East Africa through British colonization of Kenya and Kenya's freedom from colonial rule. I read this years ago when the novel was first published, and I liked it so much then that I decided to read it for my book on Kenya in my around the world in eight books trip. While the information about the country and its history were interesting, the book was was a disappointment for me the second time around.
I haven't read this in a long time but it was always one of my favorites. Intrepid woman doctor in the bush longing for married man? Check. Murder, scandal, vengeful medicine woman who curses an entire family? Check. Angry husbands, wistful wives, and scheming bitches? Check. So. Much. Trash.

No pirates, however. Problem.
May 04, 2011 Hanspoo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a very nice book, i recommend it, the first book of Barbara Wood i read was El Secreto de los Chamanes/ Daughter of the Sun, in some way they are similar in the way the move in different epochs. In both the story is intriguing and your are always waiting what is going on next. The Historic and cultural information is amazing.
Sep 01, 2011 Turtelina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2011
Wer haette gedacht das mir Barbara Wood gefaellt, ich sicherlich nicht. Monatelang lag das Buch bei mir herum, bis ich ihm eine Chance gab und ab dem Zeitpunkt konnte ich mich nicht mehr davon trennen. Suer erzaehlt, super recherchiert, super Spannungsbogen und man erfaehrt mehr ueber das Afrike von der Konolialzeit bis zum heute. Klingt uninteressant? Weit gefehlt, unglaublich mitreissend und echt interessant. Ich bin mir sicher ich werde sehr bald wieder was von der Autorin lesen, richtig gut!
Jun 04, 2012 Cristine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will try to not gush too much but I love books that are set in international settings during an intense historical period. This book not only has an incredibly dramatic story but it brings Kenya and this particularly difficult period of their history to life. The author paints vivid visual paintings and writes to appeal to all of the senses. I found it a very engaging, hard to put down book.
Jun 15, 2012 Maureen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just re-read this over the winter. My first reading of this book was back in 1996 when I was sick with mono and did little else but sleep and read. It will always be one of the best books I have ever read in my life. Rich with history, love affairs, cultural differences and boundaries, and most especially the loyalty and love of breathtaking Africa. As with any good novel, there are many twists and turns that the reader does not see coming. Overall, an amazing book.
Jul 29, 2012 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
1919 Kenya which unfolds the story of three generations of British immigrants. Lots of good stuff about the historical aspects of the country during this time period as the book ends up in "present time". A engaging storyline but the author could have done a better job had she written the generations a bit more seamlessly. As it is, it is a bit jagged going from one generation to the next. Still a very enjoyable read.
Sep 21, 2012 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A clash of civilizations when British settlers move to Kenya following WWI. The British bring roads, schools, and a vision of how things
should be done properly. They also bring second class citizenship to the majority black population. The British thought that they "owned"
the land but the kikuyu people had a different understanding and revolts were a matter of time

The first two parts of the book mention names we know from the movie Out of Africa--Karen von Blixen, the Delameres, the the kikuyu
He aquí una novela histórica compleja y diferente.
Cuando el prólogo de un libro ya te semi enamora, es buena señal. En unas pocas páginas ambientadas en la época presente (el presente siendo 1988) se deja entrever que lo que viene va a ser una gran historia.

Deborah Treverton, una joven keniata de ascendencia noble, vuelve a su país natal luego de haber dejado atrás su pasado por razones que desconocemos. Ahora sin embargo se ve obligada a reencontrarse con todo aquello de lo que escapó y hacerl
Tasha johari
Jul 09, 2013 Tasha johari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing book, cleverly written with an intertwining plot. The description of the scenery is breathtaking and each character's narration is amazing. From the fragility of love and a twisted family to the deadly revenge of witch doctors and superstitions,this book is indeed a brilliant read!
Aug 12, 2013 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best family sagas I've read in years! Beginning right after WWI when an aristocratic family moved to Kenya, up until the 1970's. Twists and turns, drama, violence, tragedies, the beauty of Africa, this one has it all. A book you want to keep picking up and reading and don't want to end.
I read a French translation (title: African Lady) after much insistence by a neighbour that I would love this book and must absolutely read it.

Although it wasn't as enthralling as he made it seem, it is a very interesting book which illustrates a country and a period of history most of us know nothing about, through that most universal language of all: human relations. No matter what country/culture we are from, we all have the same basic needs and can communicate on a basic level. The problems
Aug 02, 2014 L rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mar 20, 2015 Dorcas marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
I'm putting this one aside for now (bookmarked at page 90) . The book started off really good and I thought I was going to love it, colonizing Kenya in 1917, pretty exciting, right? But once we arrive and get semi settled, the story becomes sidetracked into relationship issues...the frigid wife ...the spinster longing for a married man...I'm not in the mood for this.
To be honest, I just don't care enough about the characters to be interested. I had this same issue with "The Passing Bells " by P
Jan 07, 2015 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As always Barbara Wood came through with a very good story. I found some of characters fascinating. One really does come to care about the characters in the reading of it even though the story moves through 3 generations.

The only bummer was was ... okay I'll just say it. I didn't like the ending. Maybe I would have come to want the ending she gave the story had there been more development on that end of the story. I was really surprised because its rare that I read a novel and not appreciate the
Rebecca Stonehill
Feb 26, 2015 Rebecca Stonehill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very dense book and took me quite some time to read. It is a romping page turner, spanning several generations and there's enough murder, passion and revenge to last you for a long time! I would say that I found some of the scenarios rather far-fetched but, at the same time, I did find it enjoyable and engaged (on the whole) with the characters. Wood had clearly done her research into the colonial and tribal Kenya and I'm wondering if she spent time living there.
Frances Kulovitz
I love Barbara Wood. She takes me to exotic places and I learn so much. I have read about Australia and Egypt. This book is about Kenya and is the story of two strong families. One is African and has been here for generations. The other is English and they bring all of their plans and ideas for colonialism of a land that is not theirs. She writes a generational saga that I usually find myself engrossed in. She is just a great storyteller.
Flor Coss
Aug 01, 2016 Flor Coss rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una larga novela que no puede evitar tocar diversas historias de amor haciendo corto su tema más impactante: el del choque de dos mundos que quiebra a los conquistados para enseñarles lo que no pueden tener y luego abandonarles en el juego de Occidente donde de entrada tienen todo que perder como nación emergente.

En esta historia Wood además nos entrega el corte de la raza humana que sin importar tiempo ni lugar siempre tiene la ocasión de mostrar sus más auto-hirientes cualidades.

Eso fue lo bue
Beatriz Rosales
Sep 30, 2016 Beatriz Rosales rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La historia de Kenia durante el dominio Britanico, su lucha, el sufrimiento de sus habitantes y la destrucción que sufre a lo largo de 100 años, es relatada a la par de la vida de cuatro mujeres: Rose, Grace, Mona y Deborah Treverton, las cuatro negadas al amor, pero con romances intensamente trágicos, la tragedia familiar que sigue al auge económico de sus generaciones, la entrega altruista de Grace y el odio que la familia de las Wacheras desatan en cada una de ellas. La relación amorosa con l ...more
Veronica Velasco
me ha gustado mucho!!LO RECOMIENDO! Por intermedio de sus personajes de raza blanca y negra, y la saga familiar nos cuenta la historia de Kenia desde 1920 , fecha en que los primeros colonos británicos llegan a África ,su independencia, hasta la actualidad. Es un libro dinámico y te entretiene ( fácil de leer) , engancha, te hace viajar al corazón de África
Goodreads Librari...: ISBN 0449145956 2 18 Nov 27, 2013 03:41PM
  • At the Going Down of the Sun (Sheridans, #1)
  • Island of Ghosts
  • Die Puppenspieler
  • Hill Country
  • Die Hüter der Rose (Waringham, #2)
  • The Ponds of Kalambayi
  • Het raadsel van de liefde
  • Der fremde Gast
  • THE FAR HORIZON: A NOVEL (The Macquarie Series Book 2)
  • Tilly Trotter Widowed
  • Bride of the MacHugh
  • Death in the Andamans (Death In..., #6)
  • En el corazón de los fiordos
  • Españistán: Este país se va a la mierda
  • The Mountains of the Buddha
  • The Back of Beyond
  • A Cry in the Night (High Country Heroes, #3)
  • La reina sin nombre
Barbara Wood was born on 30 January 1947 in Warrington, Lancashire, England, UK. Together with her parents and older brother, she immigrated to the United States. She grew up in Southern California and attended Los Angeles Schools. After High School, Barbara attended the University of California at Santa Barbara but left to train as a surgical technician. During this time, Barbara held numerous jo ...more
More about Barbara Wood...