Start by marking “Within” as Want to Read:
Within

Within

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  37 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Trinity Hartell’s life changed after the accident. Left with irreversible brain damage, she becomes a burden to her mother, a cause for heartbreak for her boyfriend Zack, and a flattened obstacle for her best friend, Ellie.

But then she starts writing. Perhaps it’s a coincidence that the psychotic, murdering protagonist of her novel bears a striking similarity to the charmi
Published November 13th 2011 by Faery Ink Press (first published November 9th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Within, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Within

Sam Certainly Can by Bridgitte LesleyDogshit Saved My Life by Karl WigginsTagged by Joseph M. ChironFruzzle's Mystery Talent by Karen BrueggemanCrashing Back Down by Kristen Hope Mazzola
My Fave Indie Authors
74th out of 367 books — 339 voters
Switched by Amanda HockingMy Blood Approves by Amanda HockingBeautiful Disaster by Jamie McGuireFate by Amanda HockingTorn by Amanda Hocking
Self-Published Young Adult Books
480th out of 1,584 books — 2,534 voters

More lists with this book...

Cecilia Robert
First of all, I loved the cover! Stunning.

The novel is written in different POV's. It wasn't easy following the POV's at first, but once I read on, it got better, ready to hop to hop the next POV. In fact it I found it to be a very effective method of showing how each character was affected in what was happening in the story.

Ellie, Zack and Trinity are involved in an accident that completely changes Trinity's, her best friend Ellie and boyfriend Zack,and parents lives. The accident leaves her
Jill Marie Swanson
(Thanks Clare for providing me a digital copy for review!)
I went into this tour not knowing much about Clare or Within, but was more than happy to help her promote! She has accomplished pretty much exactly what I would like to (well minus the writing a book part, I don't think I'd be very good at that...) I loved what she is doing with her website and business! Anywho, after reading the synopsis of Within I was definitely intrigued. The main character suffers brain damage from a terrible acciden
Felicia Pulo
First of all it was great to meet you Clare! And great start! I personally think I would've preferred if the book was a little bit longer as I feel a bit too much was revealed too soon. It would've been interesting to experience the shock of Wiley being Edmund later in the story than knowing it was him all along. The ending was well written emotionally as we're many of the book's other heavier sequences.
There were a few minor details that maybe could have been changed (not a huge deal but littl
Latoya
This book is not light and fluffy but dark, and suspenseful. It is told in the point of view of everyone surrounding Trinity, though I think it would have been interesting to hear her voice no matter how simple it may or may not have been. I would've have liked to hear the thoughts that drove her to write her story. I'm still trying to figure out how/what caused Trinity to have these psychic episodes, why is she able to tap into that negative energy of the occult. This story is mysterious, and d ...more
Alanna
A very good read by a local talent. It grabbed right away and I finished the book in an afternoon while on vacation. My only wish is that it was a bit longer. But, I have to say I will never look at the Halifax Commons the same way again.
Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey)
Jan 24, 2012 Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Terri ♥ (aka Mrs. Christian Grey) by: author
Shelves: reviewed
If you want to see my review. Check out my blog post.

Grace Fonseca
Title: Within
Author: Clare C. Marshall
Genre: Young Adult
Publisher: Faery Ink Press
Pub Date: November 13, 2011
Pages: 292 pages
My Copy: Given to me by author for an honest review

Book Synopsis:

Trinity Hartell’s life changed after the accident. Left with irreversible brain damage, she becomes a burden to her mother, a cause for heartbreak for her boyfriend Zack, and a flattened obstacle for her best friend Ellie.

But then she starts writing. Perhaps it’s a coincidence that the psychotic murdering pro
Keren Hughes
Jan 13, 2012 Keren Hughes rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Keren by: Clare Marshall
Let's start with the cover. Many words could be used to desribe the beauty that is this cover. My choice of word? Captivating!
I saw Clare on Twitter and this was her profile picture. I was absolutely awestruck because I think it is simply stunning! Well done Clare's partner Dave on an amazing job!

The book itself? Well I have to say, it is different from anything I have read before. It drew me in within just moments of the first word. It's a fast-paced, well written, page-turner of a book that I
Bethany
If I were to sum up this book in a word, it would original. After a bit of a slow start, the plot grew until it was full of twists and turns that took the story in unpredictable directions. This unfolding mystery was definitely the strength of Within; I truly had no idea how everything would end and I enjoyed the unraveling of the various subplots and the way they twisted together into an interesting ending.

The setting was fresh and well-developed, with just enough description to make Halifax, N
Avery Olive
"Mrs. Marshall has done an exemplary job of writing both sad and emotional scenes, but also weaving together an intricate story line that will captures any reader."

Now, this entire novel is heartbreaking, I’m not going to lie, have tissues on hand because Mrs. Marshall wastes no time getting to the action, leaving you feeling beyond sorry for the characters within the first couple of pages.

But quickly she turns things around, giving you a mystery that needs to be solved. The novel is written s
Tammi
This books starts with two different stories, the first one being that of Trinity, Zack and Ellie. They are working on an English project together at Ellie’s mom’s house. After they are finished, Ellie drives Trinity and Zack, who are boyfriend/girlfriend, home. On the way to drop them off, they are in a terrible accident, one that they aren’t sure that Trinity will survive.

She does survive, but has severe brain damage. She reverts to adolescence. Trinity’s parents, Stephanie and George, are ha
NightlyReading'sHeather
I would describe this book as a psychological thriller. For some reason, I thought it was paranormal, but I was wrong.

The book starts off with Ellie in the psychologist’s office. He is trying to get her to open up about the events that had happened. She doesn’t really want to talk about it, but, decides to just go for it. She begins thinking back to that fateful night and the story moves on from there. I found this to be an interesting way to start off. The story had captured my attention just b
Myra (Pieces of Whimsy)
Review first published on my blog, Pieces of Whimsy

This book was definitely not what I was expecting.. and I loved it! It was written in third person and followed the lives of several main characters. Even though we were hearing things from different perspectives, I still felt like I knew each character.

I loved Trinity! Even after the accident she was still a sweetheart and it was horrible seeing all the bad things happen to her. Zach was another of my favourites; no matter what happened he woul
►Antonia ∞₪♫
‘’Within’’ was definitely a very good book. I really enjoyed it and from my point of view, it was too short. But this book was also heart-breaking. I actually cried in the end.

Well, I can tell you the story was original. Clare’s writing style was beautiful and I would love to read anything she writes in the future. She did a great job with ‘’Within’’.

Now let’s talk a little bit about the story:

Ellie, Zack and Trinity were very good friends and they didn’t expected THAT. The accident was tragic
Dianne
Also posted in Oops! I Read A Book Again

Okay, so whew! Let's get down to this review.

This is a novella and I didn't know that prior to reading it. So I was actually shocked with the pace everything was going and to discover that it's actually short. So yes, it is a short read but in now way did it lack in plot or action. It was jam-packed with that and the author wasted no time in telling the story she wants to tell us. I finished this in one sitting, save for that little nap I simply had to hav
Marie
This review was originally posted on my blog, Ramblings of a Daydreamer. You can find it, and many more reviews at the blog.

Within wasn’t what I was expecting, but it grabbed me right away and had me very curious.

There were quite a few twists and turns, lots of action, and it was refreshingly unpredictable. The story was unique, well written, dark and sometimes disturbing, heartbreaking, and very realistic. I liked how the reader got to experience things from different character’s perspectives a
Preet
This book wasn't really what I was expecting, but I was somewhat surprised by how much I liked it in a hatred sort of way. Confusing I know, but you'll understand in a little bit.

The story is definitely original in its plot and characters. There are a number of twists in this book; it's sort of like a roller coaster. One minute I'd be in this heart-wrenching scene and the next I'd want to slap characters. (Yeah, I'm talking to you Ellie and Mrs. Hartell!)

The story does start off a bit slow and I
Maria
I haven't really read any thrillers before - the author described it as a "supernatural thriller". I thought it was about a girl who loses her memories and starts writing - her writing being linked to murders that have recently been occurring. And the book was about that but not quite exactly how I pictured it.

For one the story is told through the point of views of the people that surround Trinity - her parents, her boyfriend Zack, her best friend Ellie, and Wiley Dalton a mayor candidate. I enj
Sarah (Inklings Read)
First thing I need to say is… CREEPY! The whole dang story is creepy. The villain is so twisted and merciless that at times I found it hard to stomach. On top of that, there are some very dark and somber undertones as you observe the family and friends of Trinity deal with the accident. I could feel the tension building as I progressed through the story. Though I may not read thrillers often, this story has made me want more of them!

The plot starts off a bit on the slow side, but really gains mo
Kate (The Bookaholic Blurbs)
Also posted on the blog: The Bookaholic Blurbs

It is my first time reviewing an ebook copy and I am really excited about it. I am also excited because Within's synopsis is promising. I am so happy to write my review.

Trinity's life has changed after her car accident. She had severe brain damage that she starts to act like a child and not like a seventeen-year old. She doesn't recognize most of her family and friends, even Zack, her boyfriend. When she starts to write a story, almost everyone tak
Kristin
4 1/2 stars....

I would like to thank the author, Clare C. Marshall, for giving me the opportunity to read and review this book for her one year anniversary tour.
I was totally blown away by this book. Completely and utterly blown away by this book. It was just. that. good. This morning I sat down on my sofa with the intent of getting to the halfway point with it today and continuing tomorrow. I looked down at the pages, and noticed I only had 10 more left. And then it was over.
Your heart total
Lee (Rally the Readers)
Also posted on Rally the Readers.

* A copy was provided by the author for review.

3.5 Stars

Within is an ambitious novella that presents two main challenges to the reader. First, the story is told from multiple points of view, including that of a truly vile villain. The POVs shift frequently and within chapters, so it’s not as though a single character narrates a whole chapter. Second, some of these characters are quite unlikable, and one is just beyond despicable. I thought that both of these aspe
Maeve LaFey
Wonderful example of a Contemporary YA fiction novel. It was suspense, atmospheric, the characters were relatable and steeped in mystery.
Mickey Reed
So.. when you get into a head-on collision, wouldn't the back seat passenger fly through the FRONT window and not the BACK? Yeah. It's called physics. :o(
Review up tomorrow for the blog tour @ Some Like It Paranormal
Beckie
I will be doing a review for the author as promised on Jan 20 @ http://www.bittersweet-enchantment.com/
Holly
Earth-shattering.
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Miss Kate Reads
Miss Kate Reads marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Louise
Louise marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2015
  • Married by Midnight: A Christmas Story
  • Amethyst Eyes
  • The Keeper's Curse (The Keeper's Curse, #1)
  • There Comes a Prophet
  • Everything Changes
  • The Most Wonderful Time of the Year
  • Awakened (The Legends Of Elyndia, #1)
  • Rematch (Vortex, #1)
  • Elemental Explosions (The Alchemists Academy, #2)
  • The Buttersmiths' Gold
  • Kindar's Cure
  • The Tale of Mally Biddle
  • The Possession of Cassie Quinn
  • Oriana's Eyes (Great Oak Trilogy, #1)
  • Moonlight Mayhem (Spellbound #3)
  • Dead Dreams (Dead Dreams, #1)
  • The Zombie Playground; A Creature Compilation
  • The Line That Breaks (The Line That Binds #2)
5120291
Clare C. Marshall grew up in rural Nova Scotia with very little television and dial-up internet, and yet she turned out okay. Her YA sci-fi novel Dreams In Her Head was nominated for Canada's 2014 Creation of Stories award. She is a full-time freelance editor, book designer, ghostwriter, and web manager. If there’s time left in the day, she devotes it to Faery Ink Press, her publishing imprint. Wh ...more
More about Clare C. Marshall...
The Violet Fox (The Violet Fox, #1) Stars In Her Eyes (Sparkstone Saga #1) Dreams In Her Head (Sparkstone Saga #2) The Hunger Inside (Sparkstone Saga #3) The Silver Spear (The Violet Fox #2)