Start by marking “The Ring Goes East (The Lord of the Rings, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Ring Goes East (The Lord of the Rings, #4)
Preview

The Ring Goes East (The Lord of the Rings: Seven Book Editions #4)

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  179 ratings  ·  7 reviews
For the first time, The Lord of the Rings is presented as a boxed set of seven hardcover volumes, one for each of its six parts plus a seventh volume containing maps and the appendices. Bound in black covers with the distinctive Eye of Sauron design from the original jackets embossed in red and gold foil on each volume. Each book bears Tolkien's originally conceived title ...more
Hardcover, Millennium, 189 pages
Published by Houghton Mifflin Co (first published November 11th 1954)

To ask other readers questions about The Ring Goes East, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ring Goes East

The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienThe Two Towers by J.R.R. TolkienThe Return of the King by J.R.R. TolkienThe Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien
Middle Earth
118th out of 130 books — 58 voters

More lists with this book...

Nina
I like Frodo and Sam, but Gollum steals the show. Frodo really is a good, kind and just master, and Sam a loyal servant. Gollum, on the other hand, is sneaky, pitiful, tortured, cunning and the greatest character in the book, if by great you read interesting, a clever invention. Frodo and Sam are both so good and kind that what this book needs is Gollum's cunning. Can he be trusted or not?

Faramir is another...not showstealer, necessarily, but a lovely guy. Just, thoughtful, kind and honest. I s
I'mogén
I really enjoyed reading about the adventure of Frodo and Sam on the main quest, with their treacherous 'guide', Gollum. This is supposed to be what is happening in the meantime whilst Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas are off gallivanting. I really liked becoming used to how Frodo and Sam are around each other and how Sam would do anything to protect his master, as we see in Shelob's Lair, but I was a bit confused at the way things were worded by Sam. The way he expresses his devoted love towards Frod ...more
Elisabeth
Even though this has taken me nearly a year to read, I really liked it. I, however, much preferred following Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli than Frodo, Sam, and Smeagol. The only thing is I'm not sure what Tolkien's trying to get at with the Southerons. They didn't seem to have any real purpose in the story so..idk what to make of it.
Jackie
The Ring Goes East was all about Sam and Frodo and Smeagol who was eager to be their guide. Without the gollums help I don't think Frodo and Sam would've made it past the gates of Mordor. Smeagol knew another way in although nonetheless treacherous. I dare say without Smeagol it wouldn't have been as exciting and adventurous either. Anyhow by the end Frodo was caught in the enemy's snare and was hauled away and luck would have it that at least Sam had the ring .
Brendan Childs
I read this book because it is the continuation of a series I am reading at the moment and because I enjoyed the previous books. The category this book completes is a fantasy book.

The parts I liked about this book is that it is building up to the final climax of the story very well and in an in-depth and easy to follow way. As well as that it manages to keep hold and develop on the storyline in a very nice way that means if you have read the previous books it is very easy and enjoyable to read.

T
Charlotte Jones
This is probably my least favourite of the series so far, mostly because I think that Frodo and Sam's story is a little slow. I understand why it is so, reflecting the journey that they are struggling through but this literally took months to read despite it being a short book. I did however love the ending and the introduction of Gollum and am excited to carry on with the series.
Chris Lemmerman
My least favourite of the LotR books so far; I don't think Sam and Frodo are compelling enough protagonists to hold a book on their own, though there are shining moments, particularly in the final third involving Shelob and Gollum's true colours.
April Potter
April Potter marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Bryan Sharpe
Bryan Sharpe marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Katelyn
Katelyn marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Amy Azriel
Amy Azriel marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Someone
Someone marked it as to-read
Meena Al-Obaydi
Meena Al-Obaydi marked it as to-read
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Ethan Hill
Ethan Hill marked it as to-read
Wen-Hsuan Hsu
Wen-Hsuan Hsu marked it as to-read
Nikita Menon
Nikita Menon marked it as to-read
John
John marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Mel
Mel added it
Apr 11, 2015
Arihera
Arihera marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Rick
Rick marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Anneli Catry
Anneli Catry marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
  • L'Échiquier du mal, Tome 2
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • Norby: Robot For Hire (Norby, #3-4)
  • The Prydain Chronicles (The Chronicles of Prydain #1-5)
  • Prisons d'eau et de bois (Les aventuriers de la mer, #5)
  • Ouragan
  • Le bûcher d’un roi (Le trône de fer, #13)
  • The Origins of Tolkien's Middle-Earth for Dummies
  • A Hobbit Journey: Discovering the Enchantment of J. R. R. Tolkien's Middle-earth
  • The Hobbit and History: [The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies Movie Tie-In]
  • The Tree of Life (The Mysteries of Osiris, #1)
  • The Gospel According to Tolkien: Visions of the Kingdom in Middle-Earth
  • The Complete Aubrey/Maturin Novels (5 Volumes)
  • The Paladin of the Night
  • A Noite dos Elfos (A Trilogia dos Elfos, #2)
  • Wild Life
  • Understanding The Lord of the Rings: The Best of Tolkien Criticism
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE, was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English lan
More about J.R.R. Tolkien...

The Lord of the Rings: Seven Book Editions (7 books)
  • The Ring Sets Out (The Lord of the Rings, #1)
  • The Ring Goes South (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • The Treason of Isengard (The Lord of the Rings, #3)
  • The War of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #5)
  • The End of the Third Age (The Lord of the Rings, #6)
  • Appendices (The Lord of the Rings, #7)
The Hobbit (Middle-Earth Universe) The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3) The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2) The Lord of the Rings (The Lord of the Rings, #1-3)