Start by marking “The Ring Goes East (The Lord of the Rings, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Ring Goes East (The Lord of the Rings, #4)

The Ring Goes East (The Lord of the Rings: Seven Book Editions #4)

4.41 of 5 stars 4.41  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  6 reviews
For the first time, The Lord of the Rings is presented as a boxed set of seven hardcover volumes, one for each of its six parts plus a seventh volume containing maps and the appendices. Bound in black covers with the distinctive Eye of Sauron design from the original jackets embossed in red and gold foil on each volume. Each book bears Tolkien's originally conceived title...more
Hardcover, Millennium, 189 pages
Published by Houghton Mifflin Co (first published November 11th 1954)

To ask other readers questions about The Ring Goes East, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ring Goes East

The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienThe Return of the King by J.R.R. TolkienThe Two Towers by J.R.R. TolkienThe Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien
Middle Earth
116th out of 128 books — 49 voters

More lists with this book...

Nina
I like Frodo and Sam, but Gollum steals the show. Frodo really is a good, kind and just master, and Sam a loyal servant. Gollum, on the other hand, is sneaky, pitiful, tortured, cunning and the greatest character in the book, if by great you read interesting, a clever invention. Frodo and Sam are both so good and kind that what this book needs is Gollum's cunning. Can he be trusted or not?

Faramir is another...not showstealer, necessarily, but a lovely guy. Just, thoughtful, kind and honest. I s...more
I'mogén
I really enjoyed reading about the adventure of Frodo and Sam on the main quest, with their treacherous 'guide', Gollum. This is supposed to be what is happening in the meantime whilst Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas are off gallivanting. I really liked becoming used to how Frodo and Sam are around each other and how Sam would do anything to protect his master, as we see in Shelob's Lair, but I was a bit confused at the way things were worded by Sam. The way he expresses his devoted love towards Frod...more
Jackie
The Ring Goes East was all about Sam and Frodo and Smeagol who was eager to be their guide. Without the gollums help I don't think Frodo and Sam would've made it past the gates of Mordor. Smeagol knew another way in although nonetheless treacherous. I dare say without Smeagol it wouldn't have been as exciting and adventurous either. Anyhow by the end Frodo was caught in the enemy's snare and was hauled away and luck would have it that at least Sam had the ring .
Brendan Childs
I read this book because it is the continuation of a series I am reading at the moment and because I enjoyed the previous books. The category this book completes is a fantasy book.

The parts I liked about this book is that it is building up to the final climax of the story very well and in an in-depth and easy to follow way. As well as that it manages to keep hold and develop on the storyline in a very nice way that means if you have read the previous books it is very easy and enjoyable to read.

T...more
Charlotte Jones
This is probably my least favourite of the series so far, mostly because I think that Frodo and Sam's story is a little slow. I understand why it is so, reflecting the journey that they are struggling through but this literally took months to read despite it being a short book. I did however love the ending and the introduction of Gollum and am excited to carry on with the series.
Chris Lemmerman
My least favourite of the LotR books so far; I don't think Sam and Frodo are compelling enough protagonists to hold a book on their own, though there are shining moments, particularly in the final third involving Shelob and Gollum's true colours.
Dalar B
Dalar B marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Tinneal
Tinneal marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Jordan P
Jordan P marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Shahadat Khan
Shahadat Khan marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Desmond Jaramillo
Desmond Jaramillo marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Safia Llama
Safia Llama marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Shannon Graham
Shannon Graham marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2014
Alessa
Alessa added it
Sep 22, 2014
Ashton Smith
Ashton Smith marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Rashmi
Rashmi marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Marvi
Marvi marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Dwaine Nethery
Dwaine Nethery marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Emylie
Emylie marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE, was an English writer, poet,WWI veteran (British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English language and literature from 1945 to 1959. He was a cl...more
More about J.R.R. Tolkien...
The Hobbit (Middle-Earth Universe) The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, #1) The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3) The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2) The Lord of the Rings (The Lord of the Rings, #1-3)