Start by marking “The Hole” as Want to Read:
The Hole

The Hole

2.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  104 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
The world as Elliot Bishop and Evajean Rhodes know it is gone. Destroyed. In just two weeks, a horrific plague raged across the planet—driving its victims insane before killing them.

The two survivors set out on an unimaginable journey, driven by a cryptic message from Evajean’s husband: If anything terrible happens, you must get to Salt Lake City. But the pair soon discove
Nook, 238 pages
Published July 23rd 2011 by Permuted Press (first published August 7th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Hole, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hole

Mike Vasich
Dec 27, 2012 Mike Vasich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After I downloaded this for free via Bookbub, I perused a few pages to get a feel for it. Then (as per the norm) I hit up the Amazon reviews to see where it fell for the average reader. The ratings were so-so, so I didn't get my hopes up, but I liked the straightforward prose style and basic premise, so I kept reading.

I'm glad that I did. I zipped through this book and enjoyed it very much. While I initially expected a zombie apocalypse, what I got was far creepier and more intriguing. The quest
Dustin Owen
May 03, 2013 Dustin Owen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good book. The story itself was not what I expected and it turned out to be one of my favorite apocalypse books I have read.
Mac Riddel
Not bad, but it seemed to be a cross between The Stand and those Magic Tree House books I read to my 6-year-old son.
Jesilyn
Nov 09, 2015 Jesilyn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2012
Barbara Mason
Dec 19, 2012 Barbara Mason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is not your typical end of the world story nor is it a zombie tale that you have become accustom to. I found the writing structure very pleasing and the characters very easy to like and understand. The story was a very imaginative one that kept me wondering until the end. I did not get bored or have a moment when I wanted to stop reading.
Elliot and Evajean are normal Americans put into an abnormal world situation.As they struggle to find the reason behind what has happened to them and the w
Dylan
May 24, 2012 Dylan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An okay read, The Hole fails to deliver what the opening half of the book promises. The characters, Elliot and Evajean -- and even their dog, Hope -- are believable and had me routing for them during the extent of their journey. But when it came down to the big reveal and the final confrontation, the novel faded away instead of bowing out in glory.

A shame, because the writing is good and the premise of the story equally matched. There was some confusion along the way, but nothing too distracting
Kathy
Feb 11, 2013 Kathy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Surya Halim
Aug 05, 2012 Surya Halim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very engaging from the beginning till almost the end of to the book, however the ending could have been more satisfying. The novel keeps the reader guessing about what is going on in the world, what happened to the people, what happened to the animals, and so on. A few grammatical oddities here and there but not too much.

This is a satirical religious themed horror, you will enjoy this novel even more if you are into religions and spiritualities.
Rebecca
Dec 12, 2012 Rebecca rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I skipped over portions as I got to the point I just wanted to be done. Poorly edited. Lots of spots where you have to edit passages yourself to figure out what was meant.

If I'd had a true and correct idea where this was going I would never have started it. A person of most any religious conviction could be offended. I wasn't particularly but certainly felt the author had taken a really wrong turn with this.
Sam
Jan 07, 2013 Sam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to write a good post-apocalyptic story...and though this book pissed me off some with things like the main characters keeping their old clunker rather than grabbing a better car, or not keeping their guns with them after the first incident with crazies, overall it was storyline that kept me intrigued and a really enjoyable read!
Theresa Erickson
The book started out interesting. A zombie apocalypse book. But the ending really ruined it for me. It turned into a mash of religions all fighting over the world. Too much for me, wasn't very interested in that part of it.
Andriana martinez
I've read 12 chapters thus far, and if you've ever wished you would one day wake up in a post apocalyptic festering zombie shit hole, I recommend you do the same.
Sharon
Jan 18, 2013 Sharon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Book was so-so. I liked the beginning, but the 'battle' at the end was a let down. The book just fizzled out at the end.
Brian Denton
Brian Denton rated it liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Seth
Seth rated it it was ok
Jul 29, 2016
Jeanne
Jeanne rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Sylvia Gomez
Sylvia Gomez marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Pilar
Pilar marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Hallie
Hallie marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Eric Bresie
Eric Bresie marked it as to-read
May 20, 2016
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Ranforingus
Ranforingus marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
April Tolliver
April Tolliver marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Michelina
Michelina marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
B
B marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Krysta King
Krysta King marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Charles Hentschel
Charles Hentschel marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Zee
Zee marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Eleven Twenty-Three
  • The Journal of James Halldon (Diary of the Displaced, #1)
  • The Last Mailman: Neither Rain, Nor Sleet, Nor Zombies
  • The Dying of the Light: End (The Dying of the Light, #1)
  • Demon's Night (Jason Dark, #1)
  • The Z Word (Apocalypse Babes, #1)
  • Dead Tropics
  • IMPACT: A Post-Apocalyptic Tale (IMPACT, #1)
  • The Zombies: Volume One
  • Among the Dead and Dying (Among the Masses Book 1)
  • Lies of the Prophet
  • Hellbender
  • Alone No More (Adrian's Undead Diary #2)
  • Mythical (Stone Soldiers #1)
  • Reaper (The Riser Saga, #2)
  • Surviving the Fog (Surviving the Fog #1)
  • World-Mart
  • Creepers
I'm a horror writer living in Washington, DC. Which is itself a pretty scary place -- though its particular frights have never made it into one of my stories. Yet. When I'm not writing, I'm doing political philosophy for a major think tank and spending time with my wife and daughter.
More about Aaron Ross Powell...