Wanted
read ebook* *Different edition

Wanted (Wanted #1)

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  228 ratings  ·  34 reviews
Sergeant First Class Carl Waters left the army behind before the bomb went off in L.A. He lived off the grid, avoiding the fallout from the bombs and the Burnout Fever that ravaged the world. With the occasional trespasser to keep his skills sharp, life was smooth and settled and exactly how he wanted it.

All that changed when three stragglers showed up that he didn’t have...more
Published April 12th 2010 by Fido Publishing (first published November 1st 2009)

David Caldwell
I won a copy on Goodreads first reads.
First off, let me say I love B-grade movies.They may not be as polished as A-list movies but when they are done right, they are a lot of fun.Some even go on to become classics.Having said that, Wanted by John Halstead is a B-grade book.Yes, there are some typos and action is the main focus,but the characters feel real and the story is fun.It may not become a classic of literature but it will be a thrill ride and a good start to a hopefully long series of bo...more
Tahlia Newland
This isn’t the usual kind of thing that I would read, but I picked it up for free and this life and death situation in a post apocalyptic Mexico had me caught from the first page. Take a B grade movie star rescued from bandits by a commando style hermit, add a plane crash with two teenage survivors whose father doesn’t want to survive so he sends mercenaries after them to do the job the plan crash didn’t and you have ‘Wanted’.

This is definitely a man’s book with lots of guns and killing but if y...more
John
I recently won this book in a goodreads giveaway. It arrived today and was signed by Jason. I will start reading it right away.

Today I finished reading "Wanted". I was a little leary because I thought this was strictly Science Fiction, which is not what I read. ever It is more of what I call an EOTWAWKI (End of the World as We Know it) story wit a couple science fiction storylines. Carl is ex military turned survivalist hermit that saves Jessie from an attack. As she leaves Carls home she witne...more
Katherine Gilraine
Don't let the beginning fool you. You may want to reach into the book and give Jessie Banks a good, sharp shake and pray that you may shake some sense into her, but once Carl enters the picture, the entire tone of the book begins to change, and it will keep you pulled in. The additions of how Jessie had arrived at her present state aren't exactly clear as flashbacks at first, but it doesn't take long to figure them out for what they are, and it doesn't take long to see Jessie Banks in a new ligh...more
After saving Jessy's life, Carl kicks her out of his shelter. She end up on his door step again but this time with two teenagers she rescue from a plane crash. Carl reluctantly help them but there's a reason why the kids's plane crash and trouble is following them.

Jessy's character I wasn't really interested in. She knows about guns yet never show any skills, you wouldn't have known she was in the army. Jessy has baggages, a drugs addict and is very promiscuous. Not that she wasn't tough but I w...more
Kim D.
This sci-fi book kept me engrossed from beginning to end. Fast-paced, suspenseful, and very believable. The author took care to provide enough background on each of the characters so that the reader can understand what makes them tick. I read this book on an airplane, and was actually irritated when the plane landed because I was so wrapped up in the storyline! This is my first read by this author (Jason Halstead), but I've already bought another of his books. I hear that a sequel to "Wanted" is...more
Diana Weaver
Although this is said to be Sci Fi, I really think it is a small part. It was more of a human relations story. the 5 main characters were interwoven amazingly well. You loved and hated with equal passion and all the twists and turns kept your finger ready to flip that page quickly.

Have you ever finished a book and wanted to scream at the writer for more details??? That was this book for me...I was so wrapped up in the characters that when the book ended I felt like I just lost a friend.

Can wait...more
Lori Feeney
Wish I hadn't started this book so late in the evening. I seriously can not put it down.

Now that I've finished this book, I highly recommend it. I have never been a reader of science fiction, but this book will probably have me reading more. I know I'll definitely read more of Halstead's books. A real page turner that's so much more than plot - great characters and insight into what the end of the world may be like. Loved it.
Sheila
Although I enjoyed this book, I felt uncomfortable with the sexual undertones that were frequently present when describing interactions between the children and adults. There were also several interesting plot-lines that I would have like to see explored more deeply (post-apocalyptic world, military veterans as civilians, reality of living with cybernetic implants, weapons training, survival training).
Don
Good "end of the world as we know it" novel, though the editing could have used some help. I look forward to reading the second in the series. One big issue I had with the writing was the improper use of the word bullet. Bullets are projectiles. In the context he was using "bullet", he should have used round or cartridge.
Uriah
Interesting characters but overall the world and story fell flat. It felt unresolved by the end of the book (probably intentional) but didn't give me a feeling that I wanted to read more.
Phil
Finished it but only just - another freeby and I can now see why
Sidonie Kervau
It started well but didn't live up to its promise.
The story is like its setting: arid, harsh, cruel.

The characters:
From the Goodreads synopsis, you'd think the story centers round Carl, but Carl is the invisible man (sometimes literally). I suppose it's meant to make him look mysterious, but it just makes you not care. In 160 pages, I learnt 2 facts about Carl. 2 freaking facts.
The other characters are just as, if not more, important as Carl. Jessie is abhorrent. I know, she's meant to improve t...more
W.H. Cann
This is not a book I would normally read, being a post apocalyptic story, however, I was intrigued by the reviews I had read of it.

Overall, the characters were well developed and their background was filled in with enough detail to give them depth, enabling one to understand how they dealt with thier situations. There could have been more detail about the post apocalytic world, but this did not detract from the overall story. The plot was straight forward with enough twists and action to keep th...more
david
A tale of redemption

A tale of redemption

This was an excellent story about redeeming yourself from past errors and changing your future path.Excellent characters that were easy to hate but even easier to root for set in a world that may not be all that fictional.
Rebecca
Well developed characters, just a shame the story didn't flow as well. Most of the time I felt lost, like I had joined something in the middle. There was very little background to the events that had happened in the world to lead up to this point, and when there seems to be a gap in the narrative where this would fit, the character glosses over memories; not wanting to relive them. Basically it's the story of four people thrown together in the wilderness outside an American city after some sort...more
Allan
Set in a post-nuclear holocaust California, survival is hard enough but when you add a B movie starlet, two rich kids, an ex-army hermit and a plane crash into the mix then things get a lot more complicated.

First, Carl rescues Jessie from bandits. She then rescues a couple of rich kids from a plane crash but when their father's bodyguards come searching for them, rescue isn't on the agenda and the new "friends" have to go on the run.

It's a bit complicated but quite readable with a good level of...more
Exanimis
I gave up smoking in Nov. of 2011, as a reward to myself for saving so much money a month, I bought myself a Kindle in February. I have been reading a lot of free books on the Kindle every since, over 30 books so far. I have read two of Jason Halstead's free giveaway books, Voidhawk and now Wanted and have already purchased the second books for both series. Not only has Jason Halstead managed to draw me into his stories but he has rapidly moved into the top spot of my favorite authors.
Norma Budden
Dec 31, 2011 Norma Budden rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who enjoy reading drama with a bit of action
Recommended to Norma by: Jason Halstead
I really enjoyed reading this book. I hadn't read a book of Jason's before but will certainly be picking up Ice Princess, the sequel, in the near future.

I didn't think of this story so much as sci-fi; it seemed more of a combination of action and drama. Regardless, the characters are rich and believable and I really enjoyed the time I spent with each of these souls who was wounded in their own special way yet, essentially, came together to share the bonds of a family.
Patti
Typical PA, pretty decent story. There was enough character development to keep me interested. I wasn't crazy about some of the interplay between the younger characters with overt sexual tones, including a brother lusting after his sister's naked body.

Another irritating quirk: "Carl smirked" nearly every page. Try some others: frown, sneer, grimace, or just change the wording all together. When the reader notices these things, takes you out of the story.
David
a good read, with an ending I didn't expect. Shall now have to read other two of the trilogy.
J.D.
When you read alot, you ard bound to run across some duds...like this one. TEOTWAWKI only in passing, this book had characters who's attributes kept changing and coming out of nowhere. I could not give less of a cold crap about the fate of any of them. Every time I thought I might start to care...poof...they 'stoopided' again. Awful Read. Next!
Brad T.
I was shocked at how much I liked this book. When you're ad independent fiction you sacrifice a lot like over looking bad editing. This wasn't bad although it could have been better. The story,however, sucked me in and I couldn't put it down. The author s smart for giving book one away for free because I immediately paid for book two.
Malachi Mojica
This book needed an editor so incredibly bad, the least Jason could've done was given it a good once over. He switches tense almost every other paragraph, and oh god the "-ly" words. Not to mention the fact that his protagonist is a fake breasted overly emotional pretentious whore.
David

One of the better 'ebook only' books I've read to-date. It could have done with a proof reader to help clean up the occasional typos and omissions, but there weren't so many that they hampered enjoying a quite decent story.
Daniel
Not to bad (it was free) The plot and story of nuclear wasteland was good. Had a few to many Jessie/Carl not getting along moments. I might read the sequel - Ice something
Cindy Seitz
Got the first book free on Kindle. After reading it I then purchased the next books in the series immediately reading those also. Good books.
Mike
In all honesty I down loaded this book by mistake, and I thought "oh what the heck" took me two hours to read it was bloody brilliant...
Sabrina
Great story and interesting characters. I didn't like the cliff-hanger ending so will be getting the next one soon I'm sure.
Colin Mccarthy
I tried to get into this book but just could not get really started.. just did not grab me.
  • Story Time
  • The Survivors (Life After War, #1)
  • Point Apocalypse
  • Towards Yesterday
  • Joshua
  • No Shelter (No Shelter, #1)
  • What Came After
  • Season Of The Harvest (Harvest Trilogy, #1)
  • Outcome (Breakers, #0.5)
  • Land, A Stranded Novel
  • The Man Who Ended the World
  • After: First Light (After, #0.5)
  • Surviving the Fog (Surviving the Fog #1)
  • Wrath of the Royals (The Darkslayer, #1)
  • The Outworlder (Silesia, #1)
  • Self-published version: At the End: A Post-Apocalyptic Novel (The Road to Extinction, #1)
  • Post-Human (Post-Human, #2)
  • Dreams Unleashed (The Prophecies, #1)
Talking about myself in the third person is giving me fits - time to switch this up.

My day job is that of a computer jockey and all the hands on and hands off work that entails. When I leave the office behind I jump into family life (beautiful wife and two obnoxiously cute young children), finding a new way to hurt myself while powerlifting, and writing.

As of just recently I have 35 books publishe...more
More about Jason Halstead...
Dark Earth Voidhawk The Lost Girls (The Lost Girls, #1) Voidhawk: The Elder Race Ice Princess