A New Leash on Death (A Dog Lover's Mystery #1)

A New Leash on Death (A Dog Lover's Mystery #1)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  704 ratings  ·  48 reviews
The first of Susan Conant’s dog lover’s mysteries, A New Leash on Death introduces Holly Winter and Rowdy, the Alaskan malamute who has reliably gone Best of Breed in the hearts of dog-loving mystery readers and mystery-reading dog lovers since this book’s original publication in 1990.

Mourning the recent death of her angelic golden retriever, Dog’s Life columnist Holly Win...more
Published September 5th 1990 (first published 1990)

RC
I went into the library one afternoon in a flurry because I only had a half hour before I picked up Meredith. My plan was to pick up a couple of books to read. Marissa (in a baby carrier... easier than stroller)started to fuss as soon as I hit the mystery aisles (2011 is the year of the cozy mysteries). I had to grab something and go. I say this title and thought,"A dog mystery... no way. I have been reading cat mysteries (the cat who...) let's try a dog mystery. I am a dog trainer for goodness...more
crayolaab
After following the Iditarod closely this year, I was in the mood for some dog-related reading. Since I just re-read the Sue Henry series last year, I decided on these books by Susan Conant. I first read this series years ago, they are about a woman who writes articles for Dog's Life magazine and shows malamutes. This first book introduces the writer, her likeable boyfriend and her first malamute Rowdy, whom she inherits from a man in her training club when he is murdered.

The characters are like...more
Ellen
I finshed this most welcomed book by Susan Conant. For quite some time I have been wishing for an intelligent and interesting series with dogs...lots and lots of dogs. And not just pure bred dogs...rescues, mixed-the whole nine yards.

Thank-you Susan conant for listening and answering dog lovers and lovers of cozies.
This was a wonderful way to begin new series for me that almost ended with me having tears in my eyes. For a good reason not a bad one.

This wonderful mystery centers on Rowdy, a magn...more
Lori Whitwam
This is the first book in Susan Conant's "Dog Lovers" mystery series featuring Holly Winter (writer for a dog magazine) and her Alaskan Malamutes in Cambridge, Massachusetts. I read this when it first came out and have followed the series ever since. It has been fascinating to watch Conant's own dog philosophy and knowledge evolve through the years. She is responsible for my interest in obedience training, and why I eventually got a golden retriever puppy instead of a Malamute with which to part...more
Kathy
I thought the mystery was okay, and since I have the next three books, will probably read them. What I didn't like was the author's way of talking down to the reader, as if you didn't know the difference between a German Shepard and a dachshund. Also a bit too much of "I, Holly Winters am a great dog trainer and no one measures up to me" type thing.
Finally got my paws on the first installment of the Holly Winter dog mysteries. It does not disappoint, and fills in all of the gaps I'd been wondering about as I've only been able to read whatever my library has to offer of the volumes, in no particular order, up until now.

I found a few things amusing (that a non-dog person wouldn't think twice about), like how, as the book was written in 1990, it was prior to the whole "don't feed your dogs grapes or other grape/raisin products" discovery. Th...more
Sue Perdue
holly winter and rowdy meet in this book. malamutes are very gentle dogs with a very mean look. hard to train, stubborn, and playful. the malamute is a perfect foil for holly, who is pretty laid back herself. she was raised by two dog loving people who had golden retrievers, and she had a golden for years, but when she inherited the malamute, rowdy, she quickly became a fan of these gentle giants. holly spends much time in the care and training of her dog, but most of her time is spent writing h...more
Kelly
Well, I finally finished this book. It wasn't bad but somewhat slow moving. Between other books I was reading and typical family business, it took me 5 weeks (no kidding) to finish it. I am not proud of that but I do blame it, in some small part, on the fact that I just didn't feel that draw to get back to it. It did have some info about dogs that was interesting but there really was not much mystery about who the murderer was. The speed picked up a bit at the very end. I really was so hopeful f...more
Dianne
I have been reading Susan Conant's mysteries for approximately 22 years. She has an amazing ability to somehow keep each book fresh and new. Her Protagonist, a writer for Dog World Magazine, somehow winds up mixed up in solving a crime in each book. The books are fun and imaginative. They're not "War and Peace," but who wants to read serious non-fiction books all of the time? This series of books will keep you guessing till the end as to who the "killer" or "bad guy" is? Great to bring with you...more
Elizabeth
If you love dogs and their interaction with humans you will love this book.

Holly Winter and her dog Rowdy solve the murder and introduce the reader to many features of dog shows and the habits of different breeds.

A clever book!
Kim
August 10, 2008 - I'm not even 1/2 way through this book. However, I very much enjoy it, the details about dog care, dog training, dog breeds, and on and on. Also, the mystery has already taken a twist I did nto expect. My friend Marilyn Duke loaned me a number of the books in this series. I have a feeling I'll be reading these with the same hunger I each crab at Red Lobster - as much as possible.

August 16,2008 - I finished this last night, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I've already started the n...more
Sandra Knapp
After reading several cat mystery books, and finding them not only interesting but fun to read, I was expecting this "dog lover's mystery" to have a more comical lean to it as well. It did not. It did have a lot of information though, about training and showing dogs, and some history about certain breeds too. So although it wasn't amusing, it was informative as well as a fair mystery tale. Nothing great, no "edge of the seat" type story-telling. But it kept me engaged from start to end.
Susan Bea
It's just right for the BOS to DFW flight; it's a fun, light, entertaining read
Michelle
I really enjoyed this book. It was a quick read (only 180 pages) and it told one coherent story. Holly, a woman involved in dog obedience training, discovers another one of the trainers, and older man named Frank, murdered. She ends up taking custody of his dog, a Malamute named Rowdy, and through him, gets heavily involved in trying to solve his murder. The plot was coherent, the writing light. It kept me interested, so it didn't take long to finish.
Maurean
May 02, 2008 Maurean rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Maurean by: online bookclub
Holly Winter is shocked when a dog training session ends in the murder of a retired doctor, strangled by his Malamute's leash, so she takes the big dog home. When trying to locate the papers on Rowdy, she also digs up clues to a crime.

I enjoyed this cozy; it was very well-written, with witty dialogue and some good insights into obedience training. I'll look for others inn this series.
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
This is the first in a series about a dog enthusiast who shows dogs in Cambridge MA.

I thought the book was ok, it seemed to plod along and there was too much dog show talk for my tastes. The book did start picking up about 3/4 of the way through and I didn't guess who the killer was, but then that is nothing new!

I have several of the next books and hope that they get better
Erin
The first in a cozy mystery series about dogs.

Anyone who knows me knows that I love dogs, but this is the crazy world of dog showing/training that I'm NOT so crazy about.....I would be more interested if the series featured some loveable, untrainable, but delightful mutts (or Yorkshire Terriers!). It was OK, but I wouldn't seek out more in the series.
Colleen Burns
I read about this series in Bark magazine so I thought I would try one and the reviewer was correct. The main character is very attractive as are the dogs and the information about dogs and malamutes is very interesting. I have already read another one and ordered two more. Just a warm fuzzy kind of book for a dog lover and mystery buff.
Jami
It took me way too long to read this relatively short novel. I thought it was good, but I didn't find the story to be strong enough to keep my attention for too long. I will definitely read the next in the series as I did enjoy the characters and hope the author's ability to weave a good mystery will improve with experience.
Kelly
I read the first four books in this series long long ago, and I dearly loved them. The books follow dog-magazine-writer Holly Winter and her two Malamutes, Rowdy and Kimi, as they stumble upon crimes and then help to solve them. The author really knows her stuff about the dog world. Fun, cozy reading!!
Betsy
As a big dog lover, the canine theme and information made the book for me. The mystery really took a back seat to the other information that I found interesting. But it is a light, quick and breezy mystery that I read in a couple sittings and it was essentially enjoyable.
Carol
I love stories about dog, horses, cats..... This was a combination story about dog training and a dectective / Mystery story. Published in 1990, some of the background is a little dated, but very reminiscent of the Cambridge, MA that I knew when we lived outside of Boston.
Beth Bruner
Dog lovers should enjoy Holly and Rowdy and Kimi--although some of the books in the middle of the series got a bit on their high horse about animal rights and stopped being 'cosy' and began to be depressing. But over-all fun (and you can always skip to the next book. . .)
Vicky
A cozy mystery based on Holly Winter… who is a magazine writer who gets involved in mysteries and has her malamutes with her…. always interesting but again light reading.
Gloria Mccracken
This is the delightful first book in one of my very favorite mystery series. I had forgotten how wonderful it was. It helps if you like dogs, but the wry comments by the protagonist about them will be amusing even to those who are not canine fanciers.
Virginia
It was a really busy month, which means it's time for.....animal themed murder mysteries! I liked this at the time, but entering these reviews in 2010, I do not remember one iota of any of the plot. Good brainless reading.
Kathy
Didn't finish book. I was looking for a mystery with dogs in it....not a Dogs for Dummies with a mystery. It just felt like there was so much dog details, that the author never got on with the story. Just got repetitive and old.
Tabitha Ormiston-Smith
A great detective story, with a really complicated crime, set in the dog world - what's not to like? I am amazed I never heard of this writer before and plan to get all of the books.
Linda
Overall I liked this book. The mystery wasn't that great but I liked the characters and learning about the dog showing world, there was lots of good information about that.
Luna
Much better than her cat series. I didn't have much hope for this, but was pleasantly surprised. Not great, but good enough for me to read more from this series.
  • A Pedigree to Die For (Melanie Travis, #1)
  • Smoky Mountain Tracks (Raine Stockton Dog Mysteries, #1)
  • This Dog for Hire (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #1)
  • Dead Canaries Don't Sing (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #1)
  • Beaglemania (Pet Rescue Mystery, #1)
  • Hounding the Pavement (Dog Walker Mysteries, #1)
  • Death in Bloodhound Red (Jo Beth Sidden "Bloodhound" Mystery #1)
  • Sink Trap (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #1)
  • The Mournful Teddy (A Bear Collector's Mystery #1)
  • Bundle of Trouble (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #1)
  • Catnap (Midnight Louie, #1)
  • Pretty Poison (A Peggy Lee Garden Mystery, #1)
(1)mysteries

Mother of author Jessica Park aka Jessica Conant-Park

The photo is of Jessica Conant-Park and Susan Conant, daughter and mother.
More about Susan Conant...
Dead and Doggone (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #2) Gone to the Dogs (A Dog Lover's Mystery #6) A Bite of Death (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #3) Bloodlines (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #5) Paws Before Dying (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #4)