Start by marking “The Way of Light” as Want to Read:
The Way of Light

The Way of Light (The Chronicles of Magravandias #3)

The Third Book of The Magravandias Chronicles

The sudden death of the Emperor Leonid has plunged the empire of Magravandias into chaos. To preserve order, Valraven Palindrake, Dragon Lord of Caradore, reluctantly pledges his support to the young Crown Prince, Gastern.

Concerned for the fate of her adopted country, Varencienne Palindrake, Valraven's wife and Leonid's daughter
Published January 4th 2003 by Tor Books (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Way of Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way of Light

Nerine Dorman
Feb 06, 2010 Nerine Dorman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A satisfying conclusion to the Magravandias Chronicles. I noticed that Constantine starts shifting viewpoint characters with a greater frequency near the end of this trilogy, whereas book one and two tend to be fairly static. Not that I mind because by then she's already gone to great length to establish characters, so they are more like old friends you visit with because you know it's going to end soon.

The ending surprised me and I think Constantine does a good job misdirecting readers' expecta
Jorge
Aug 01, 2012 Jorge rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Final book of The Chronicles of Magravandias (thanks god!). So, so far we have two families, the Malagashes and the Palindrakes, with the former ruling and empire that includes the latter. The emperor dies and all hell breaks loose. Also we have a crown with some kind of power, that took the most part of the previous book to find, but that never gets really used. We also have long descriptions of a self-knowledge journey, and in the end… SPOILER ALERT… Valraven Palindrake defeats a rag-tag imper ...more
Paul
Nov 04, 2012 Paul rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is a really interesting series with some truly wonderful settings that had me hooked, frantically reading as fast as I could. For me the problem with the series is that the main character is just so bloody dull. In the first two books and to be honest most of this it didn't matter because the supporting characters carried the story and did it so well that when the author dropped the ball by resolving the complex plot arc between Shan and Khaster in half a page it ruined the story for me.
Ruby Roh
May 21, 2016 Ruby Roh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I know Storm Constantine is better known for her Wraeththu books, but this trilogy is my favourite. It also contains my absolute all-time favourite character in the form of Tayven Hirental. Story-wise, I loved the detailed plot and the politics, and trying to figure out who really was on who's side. The last book had me on tenterhooks all the way through, and there were some surprises, pleasant and otherwise, that left me with an overall feeling of great satisfaction.
Suzanne
May 29, 2011 Suzanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was over far too fast. This trilogy is such a violent, bloody, passionate one that you feel for the characters unconditionally and are devastated when bad things inevitably happen to them. Has a bit of a Game of Thrones politics/sex/violence thing happening and I wish more anything it'd been a massive nine-volume epic or something. Completely awesome. It's as cool as the name "Storm Constantine" isn't.
Lisa H.
Jul 04, 2012 Lisa H. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, series
As I said in my "review" of Sea Dragon Heir (the first book of this trilogy), I got really irritated with the series by the time I got to this one, and I may not even have finished it. That said, if I ever find them in mass market PB or for really, really cheap (like at a thrift store) I may re-read them.
Anastasia
Apr 25, 2011 Anastasia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: intrigue-fantasy
Really enjoyed it, and so glad I picked up this series after a disasterous start with "Sea Dragon Heir." All the characters come together, everything is resolved and wrapped up. I particularly like the resolution with the empress Tatrini.
Kendra
For whatever reason, this trilogy took me forever to get through. It's a good series, but felt like it dragged. The ending was surprisingly brutal, but it wrapped everything up well.
Frank Taranto
Sep 13, 2009 Frank Taranto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
An excellent conclusion to a wonderful story. The characters are absolutely real and their differing motivations and growth make this an excellent series of books.
Kay
Apr 17, 2009 Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
a good finale to the story that i thoroughly enjoyed.
Jenni
Mar 09, 2008 Jenni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Conclusion
Joyce Bogdon
Joyce Bogdon rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2016
Denise
Denise rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2016
PrintOrRiot
PrintOrRiot rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2016
Paul Sunderland
Paul Sunderland marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Paige
Paige marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Sam Carpenter
Sam Carpenter marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Toni
Toni rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2016
Teri Shaw
Teri Shaw marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Lori
Lori rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2016
Peter Stanton
Peter Stanton rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2016
Glen
Glen rated it it was amazing
Aug 10, 2016
Ammie
Ammie marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Tony Koval
Tony Koval rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2016
C.may Nickel
C.may Nickel marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2016
Julio Andrade
Julio Andrade marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Liz
Liz rated it liked it
Aug 28, 2016
  • Point of Dreams (Astreiant, #2)
  • The Golden Horn (The Hound and the Falcon, #2)
  • Sanctuary (The Outcast Chronicles, #3)
  • Kings and Assassins (Antyre, #2)
  • An Apprentice to Elves (Iskryne World, #3)
  • The Belly of the Wolf (Lens of the World, #3)
  • Buddies
  • Cyrion
  • The Man in the Iron Mask (Great Illustrated Classics)
  • Revelation (Rai-Kirah, #2)
  • Shards of Time (Nightrunner, #7)
  • Ring of Swords
  • Ring of Destiny (Dance of the Rings, #3)
  • Angels of the Deep
  • Fantasy Life
  • Elegy Beach
Storm Constantine (b. 1956) is a British science fiction and fantasy author, primarily known for her Wraeththu series.

Since the late 1980s she has written more than 20 novels, plus several non-fiction books. She is featured in the Goth Bible and is often included in discussions of alternative sexuality and gender in science fiction and fantasy; many of her novels include same-sex relationships or
More about Storm Constantine...

The Chronicles of Magravandias (3 books)
  • Sea Dragon Heir (The Chronicles of Magravandias, #1)
  • The Crown of Silence (The Chronicles of Magravandias, #2)