Start by marking “Sheep” as Want to Read:
Sheep

Sheep

The ramshackle farmhouse in Ty-Gwyneth seems like the perfect retreat for James, Adele and their young son after the tragic drowning of their daughter Ruthie. But things take a horrific turn when James unearths an odd collection of bones while working on the house, and Lewyn, a local farmer, relates a nightmarish story of the tragic history of Ty-Gwyneth.
Published October 1st 1996 by White Wolf Games Studio (first published February 3rd 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Sheep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sheep

Reni
I don't usually even look at horror novels so why even chose this particular obscure little book, you may ask, to dip into the genre?

Well, way back in the early 2000's I used to go to the cinema from time to time with a friend who really, really likes Sean Bean. Around 2006 Sean Bean happened to star in a couple of horror films which we then naturally had to watch, one of which I was actually interested in (which was Silent Hill, an okay movie, with really nice monster designs), and one I was no
Bloomeenee
Aug 11, 2007 Bloomeenee rated it really liked it
Ooh dark in so many ways. Okay, so horror is the best genre to plonk this one in but that doesn't even begin to cover it. I love horror that is low on gore and shocks and high on atmosphere, especially where the horror element may or may not be supernatural. This has all of that, plus realistic-ish characters (they're stereotyped but also still slightly believeable: e.g. bohemian middle-class public school rebel wife and bit of rough working class builder husband), relationship plotlines ...more
Megan
Jun 17, 2007 Megan rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: horror
Shelves: horrorthriller
Madelaine
May 06, 2012 Madelaine rated it really liked it
First off, this book is completely worth the effort it takes to hunt down a copy. I read a lot of horror novels, and when trying out a new author there's always the risk that they'll focus too much on the horror and not enough on the novel. Maginn definitely wrote a novel, with decent characters and enough depth to explain people's actions and reasons. I never yelled for someone to stop being an idiot while reading it. If they were being one you bloody well knew why. The horror is also well ...more
David
Aug 03, 2013 David rated it liked it
This is a very strange book. I read it because I saw the (frankly terrible) film The Dark, which is very loosely based on this book. Reviews suggested the book was much better - I wholeheartedly agree.

The story is dark, menacing and somewhat gloomy. It's not an easy read. The characters are interesting- Maginn demonstrates a lot of talent here. I thought the basic story idea was strong, but didn't quite deliver at the end. There are more questions than answers - it could have used another 50 pag
Beca
Sep 26, 2012 Beca rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook
I tracked this down after watching "the dark" (although the only thing the two really have in common is the setting) and i'm really glad i did. This book really got under my skin, and made me think about children and parents and responsibilities and nervous breakdowns in new and creepy ways. It's currently available on kindle for 3 dollars, and is well worth a read.
Rhona Crawford
Jul 02, 2016 Rhona Crawford rated it really liked it
Not an easy read, but engrossing and one of the better horrors of the year, mainly because it is REAL. Who says that those you love and trust are the ones you're safe with? And how inherent is evil really? Many questions and too many answers - I may just think about this one for a while ...
AV AV
May 14, 2016 AV AV rated it liked it
Als je van horror houdt een goed verhaal met een wat onbevredigend einde. Mooie verhaallijn. Heden en verleden, denken en zeggen, lopen voortdurend door elkaar heen zonder voor verwarring te zorgen.
Vazzy
Vazzy rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2012
Colin
Colin rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2015
Armin Seferovic
Armin Seferovic rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2016
Rin
Rin rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2016
Hissori
Hissori rated it did not like it
Sep 10, 2014
Marc
Marc rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2009
Teresa
Teresa rated it it was ok
May 11, 2014
Meredith
Meredith rated it liked it
May 14, 2013
Stephen Korsman
Stephen Korsman rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2013
Alex
Alex rated it it was ok
Mar 13, 2010
Jordan
Jordan rated it it was ok
Sep 16, 2013
Bethany Scott
Feb 16, 2013 Bethany Scott rated it it was amazing
Brilliantly atmospheric. Certainly better than the movie!
Olya Eryukova
Olya Eryukova rated it it was ok
Nov 22, 2012
Jonathan Budds
Jonathan Budds rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2013
Izzy
Izzy rated it it was ok
Aug 13, 2015
Bogart
Bogart rated it really liked it
Jul 18, 2009
Lynda Taylor
Lynda Taylor rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Daniel Kesserich
Daniel Kesserich rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2010
Gabrielle
Gabrielle rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2013
Robert Carter
Robert Carter rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2014
Michael Brown
Michael Brown rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
I am a novelist living and working in Brighton, UK, in a haunted palace by the sea. I write horror/psychological thrillers as Simon Maginn: Sheep (filmed as The Dark), is available as an ebook now. Other titles include Virgins and Martyrs, A Sickness of the Soul, Methods of Confinement, and Rattus (novella).

By night, I become Simon Nolan, who writes satirical, drug-fuelled comedies: As Good as it
More about Simon Maginn...