The Bad Mother's Handbook

The Bad Mother's Handbook (Bad Mother series #1)

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  1,150 ratings  ·  110 reviews
BOOK LOOKS LIKE NEW, EXCELLENT CONDITION! JUST HAS SOME SHELF WEAR, READY TO SHIP.
Hardcover
Published by Picador (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Bad Mother's Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bad Mother's Handbook

Eileen
For a long time I had this book on my to-read-list and I'm glad I finally came around to read it. It's light and fun, engaging, but not very exciting and/or surprising, it made me smile and the characters are very real and easy to relate to. The story is about three generations of women who live under the same roof with each their own problems: Nan, the grand-mother, has health problems, Karen, the mother, is struggling with just about everything and Charlotte, the teenage daughter, becomes unex...more
Mark Lawrence
I very much enjoyed 'The Bad Mother's Handbook'. I see from some of the other reviews that they were expecting something in the vein of 'Bored Housewives' meets 'Sex in the City' and were disappointed at the lack of beautiful people, designer labels, and exotic destinations. I was also expecting something similar and was very pleased to find an entirely different book.

This is a very well written book, closely observed, and without sentimentality it reaches into real lives in a ways that can rea...more
Antonija
I don't want to be one of those people who are never impressed with anything, so I gave this book 5 stars although it was not what I expected it to be. After reading the blurbs I thought this would be a funny book about generations of mother-daughter relationships, with witty dialogues and describing a kind of Gilnore Girls mother-daughter closeness. It was far from my expectations.
However, despite the person that wrote the blurbs, this book deserves all the stars it can get because it realisti...more
Alayna
Misleading - the reviews, the description on the jacket, even the hot pink color of the cover...all misleading. I expected chick lit, and a funny one at that. It's really neither. It's disjointed and kind of depressing. It reminds me of the movie Juno - you spend half the time wondering if you should stop reading/watching because it really isn't that good but then you've made it that far and have to finish. And in the end you think "hmm...ok that wasn't a total waste of my time but I don't think...more
Paula Sealey
At last, a family situation we can all relate to!

Telling the story of Karen, Charlotte and Nan, three generations of women all trying to get along in one cramped council house, the book recounts a year in their lives and all the ensuing troubles. Their stories are told with such enjoyable warmth that you really care about what happens to them and how their lives will turn out.

I will definitely be reading more Kate Long books now!

Sandy
i never bore of this book - its such an easy read and good to see teen pregnancy and family life through three generations eyes :)

Definately reccommend !
Melissa
Although I'm generally far from a fan of chick-lit, this book made me smile. It follows three generations of women under one roof: the increasingly confused Nan, reflecting back on her youth; middle-aged Karen, frustrated by her middle class aspirations and determined her daughter should better her lot in life; and 17-year-old Charlotte, pregnant and set on repeating all her mother's mistakes.

The book is hindered by clarity issues, especially towards the beginning, as it can be hard to discern w...more
Finn
It's horrific! If you're male and like me chose to play with condoms throughout sex education then it'll gross you out, and you'll probably need therapy. They should actually use this book in schools to put children and adoloescents off of sex and probably the lads from ever wanting children (at least with their wives.)

On a serious note this book is obviously aimed at women and girls of all ages (the story is narrated by three different women of varying ages all living in a somewhat claustrophob...more
Karen
The title of this book is what enticed me to read it. The story is told from the point of view of 3 generations of women living under one roof in England. Senile grandmother, teenage granddaughter, mom squished in the middle. Explores the meaning of family. Occasionally difficult to tell who was speaking but with a bit of work you could figure it out.
Elvia
Well... It wasn't what I wanted it to be. There were several flashbacks following three generations of women in different aspects of motherhood. I found the flashbacks annoying at the most. I found some of the plot line predictable and I think that as a good thing because at least that made the story easier to follow.

It's about a woman who has a middle aged woman dealing with the changing roles in her life and dealing with an acerbic teenager who is dealing with her own role in her own life. Ea...more
Fiona Hopkins
This book is true to life which makes it an enjoyable read with a few ‘laugh out loud’ moments. It was rather confusing in places; I didn’t know whose perspective I was reading. I felt the ending of the book was somewhat weak. The grandma was such an important part of the book but she disappeared towards the end and became more irrelevant as the story continued which I thought was a pity as she was definitely the glue that held them all together. There were a few emotional chapters and it was ea...more
denise
This was a very cute book about 3 generations of women and their view of their shared lives. I enjoyed it and laughed aloud at times, especially while Charlotte (the youngest) was in labor. I've never heard anyone comparing dilation to a dinner plate.

I've read several books by British authors, and I do love a good English phrase now and again. By far, this one had me scratching my head the most. I need to pick up a good English to American dictionary before I read my next Kate Long book. And I w...more
Jesi
I’ve seen the movie multiple times and liked it, so I wasn’t in a hurry to read the book. It turns out, the book really is better than the movie. Go figure!

The Bad Mother’s Handbook chronicles a year in the life of a three generation household – daughter Charlotte, mother Karen and grandmother Nan. It examines mother/daughter relationships in many different forms; teen moms, single moms, adopted moms, birth moms, etc. On the flipside, it shows what it means to be a daughter. Sounds sappy, I know...more
Tanja
While the story was confusing at times because narration switches mostly between mother Karen and daughter Charlotte with some bits and pieces from grandma Nan without announcing who's narrating at the moment, I really enjoyed this refreshing novel. Though it may seem a bit blunt at times I liked that it describes down to earth people in a real-life story and I had a good laugh at some of the comical situations.
Sharon
I just happened on this story of three generations of women living in one house. The story alternates among the three different voices. It's refreshing to read a story about a struggling, slightly-lower-than-middle-class family, rather than the jet setters that seem to populate so many novels. The two main characters change and grow over the course of the novel, and the ending is not romantically pat.
Hilary
Upmarket chicklit, a 'three generations of women' novel. In this case, the three generations all live together in a terraced house Oop North, Nana has Alzheimer Syndrome and a catheter bag, granddaughter is doing A-levels and hoping to go to college in spite of being up the duff, and Mum is hardly in a position to blame her, being only in her mid-30s herself. Incisive writing, and believable characters.
Megan Hubrex
I first saw the English movie (then bought it) and thought it was absolutely brilliant. And when I learned there was a book, you can't imagine how happy I was. And it was as good as I expected. Even though English humor is different from American humor sometimes, I giggled throughout this. And it was better than the movie. I love Daniel, also. So much. You can tell how much I love this book :))
Katy
It took me a while to get into this book. It was very slow at the beginning and it was hard work trying to figure out who was speaking because the change of text was so similar between Karen and Charlotte. About half way through I started to enjoy it but it still wasn't the most amazing book I have ever read. I was glad to get it finished and read it quickly so it was out of the way.
Amanda
I really loved this book. The characters are believable and down-to-earth and the plot reflects the good, the bad, the unexpected and the sometimes downright embarrassing events that occur in real life. Can't wait for the sequel which I think is coming out in February 2013 (Bad Mothers United), which catches up with the same characters later in their lives.
Rebecca
This is written by my old English teacher Mrs. Long or for the older Abbey Gater's out there Miss Green! I was surprised at how funny this novel was. I believe that ITV did a TV version and got Catherine Tate as the lead which didn't surprise me at all. It's a very touching story about family and women. Highly recommended as a holiday read
Rosemary
This book made me laugh out loud, and I cried with these women . I loved it! But I am not recommending it. You know me I read anything that sounds interesting this is by a English author and is gritty and crass, and full of sex and language, and should be in a brown paper bag, and I should be very ashamed that I read it.
Lara
I was pleasantly surprised at the razor-sharp humour in the beginning of the book, and then pleasantly surprised again that the plot explored many more emotions very deeply, while keeping that keen humour just at the surface. I love me a book from Coronation-Street-a-gogo-land.
Kerry
fantastic have read it over and over again. Follows three generations through a year with all its problems and challenges. Really thought provoking and emotional. Is mainly about the love of families and how sometimes love does conquour all.
Janine
I really liked this book. It was heartwarming, very sweet and the three main female characters were very relatable. The relationships were very honest too, all in all a great depiction of the madness, infuriating-ness and love of family.
Sharon
This book has to be one of the most funniest books i've ever come across & i think only if your a mother you will get it. Everything she wrote was so true to life on being a mum. A great author.
Nimanthika Hettiarachchi
Hilarious! One of the few books that got me laughing out loud and returning to pages again and again!
Caroline Ridge
Lovely book, very easy to relate to characters and was touching.
Ilona
So many interesting and challenging topics covered in one book! Teen pregnancy, adoption (not of the teen's baby), dementia, caring for the elderly, rising above your roots, repeating/learning from mistakes, the challenges of being a member of the sandwich generation (being both parent and caregiver of a parent)... There's a lot here, and dealt with exceedingly well.

I very much enjoyed this book, but I vacillated between three and four stars because I was so consistently annoyed by Karen, the mo...more
Ellie
Ruth
Well, that was fun! Or as my copy says on the front cover: A really cracking read!

Not sure why I pulled this down off my shelves...it's not what I normally turn to. I was pleasantly surprised at how well written it was...I guess I was expecting crap (shame on me!) I was especially impressed on how clear the three first-person voices were. Within a few lines or even a few words, I knew who was speaking, despite how rapidly the changes happened on occasion, a paragraph, sometimes only a line. The...more
  • The Matchbreaker
  • A Cool Million
  • It's a Kind of Magic
  • A Crowded Marriage
  • Life Isn't All Ha Ha Hee Hee
  • The Boy I Love (The Boy I Love Trilogy, #1)
  • A Bad Bride's Tale
  • Vince and Joy
Hello! And welcome to my GoodReads author page.

New: my Bad Mothers Pinterest board! http://pinterest.com/volewriter/bank-... See where Charlotte, Karen and Nan actually live!

and my Bad Mothers Facebook page, with lots of background info on the characters and filming: http://www.facebook.com/BadMothersUnited

I write bittersweet novels about family drama and personal crises, especially stories involv...more
More about Kate Long...
Swallowing Grandma Queen Mum The Daughter Game Before She Was Mine Bad Mothers United

“Don't think you're of little importance, you're somebody,somebody fine. However you tumble and get up and stumble, you're part of a vision devine” 0 likes
“Im Kampf um den Handtaschenriemen gegen die Türklinke opfere lieber die Handtasche, als der Türklinke das Gefühl zu geben, sie hätte gewonnen.” 0 likes