Start by marking “My Infamous Life: The Autobiography of Mobb Deep's Prodigy” as Want to Read:
My Infamous Life: The Autobiography of Mobb Deep's Prodigy

My Infamous Life: The Autobiography of Mobb Deep's Prodigy

In this often violent but always introspective memoir, Mobb Deep's Prodigy tells his much-anticipated story of struggle, survival, and hope on the mean streets of New York City. For the first time, he gives an intimate look at his family background, battles with drugs, life of crime, relentless suffering with sickle-cell anemia, and more. Recently released after three and ...more
Audio
Published April 19th 2011 by Buck 50 Productions (first published April 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about My Infamous Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Infamous Life

Frances
Jun 15, 2013 Frances rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very thorough memoir which opens readers up to many of Prodigy's personal and entertaining stories. I can't recall ever being bored at a given point in this book, which means a lot for someone with a tiny attention span like me! Overall it was just a dope read. I would suggest this book even to someone who's not a Prodigy/Mobb Deep fan.
Cynthia Rennolds
Feb 25, 2014 Cynthia Rennolds rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I have to admit I had no idea who Mos Def was when I bought this book. Mos Def is an American rap artist. I still haven't listened to more than one or two of their songs. I read the book because I like biography, I am interested in how other people live and what life looks like through their eyes. So this book was interesting.
Jeffrey Bumiller
Albert "Prodigy" Johnson is one half of arguably the greatest rap duo to come out of the 1990s. Mobb Deep. This book is enthralling, filled with illuminating details about one of the most vibrant decades for rap/hip hop. Any fan of Mobb Deep will eat this book up. Read it and find out why "there ain't no such thing as half way crooks." It's so good!!!!
JP
Jun 08, 2015 JP rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Listened to the audiobook. As an added bonus the book is narrated by Albert "Prodigy" Johnson. He does a phemomenal job telling his life story. Couldn't stop listening to it.
Taylor Litson
Mar 10, 2012 Taylor Litson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about the famous rapper and his crew named MOBB DEEP. The main character of my story is one of the greatest rapper's to ever and his name is Prodigy. The next main character was his assistant who also is a rapper named Havoc, him and Prodigy are really good at working together and having fun in there life. In this paper I will be telling you all about the hard life that Prodigy and Havoc had to go through to get to where they are at now and it all starts now. Albert Crippen Johnson ...more
Ali  Driggers
Jun 05, 2014 Ali Driggers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The book I am reviewing is called My Infamous Life This book attracted me because I am a huge fan of rap music, and he is a rapper. But that’s all I knew. I never heard his music, but I wanted to learn more about him, especially after seeing all of the things he went through on the back of the book. Not only that, but Prodigy got praise from Jay-Z, Lil Wayne, and Nas. So all of that led me to the conclusion that this book must be read. My expectations were met. I expected a tale of a man who mad
Abur Chol
Jun 14, 2013 Abur Chol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read “My Infamous Life” by a 90’s rapper who’s goes by the name of Prodigy. It is a very entertaining and interesting novel. Prodigy takes us on a tour throughout his life, he takes us though his early childhood battles with sickle cell disease, his forming of his rap group “Mobb Deep “with his best friend Havoc, and being involved in shootouts at nightclubs. He also tells his side of the story on the infamous East Coast – West Coast feud of the 90’s.
Prodigy’s purpose for writing this book w
Johnathan
Apr 26, 2011 Johnathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autobiographies
Seldom do we, the fan's and critics, get a chance to see behind the glamour and glits and into the unsheltered soul of Rap Artist. Most of the time when we do, we get a watered down marked up version of the truth, made to look good and boost revenue. I am happy to have had a chance to be able to bypass the glits and glamour and see Prodigy as "Albert Johnson".

Anyone who is a fan of Mobb Deep SHOULD read this book to gain a clearer and better understanding of who Mobb Deep is as individuals as we
Byron
Sep 20, 2016 Byron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prodigy's autobiography somehow manages to be both terrible and impressive at the same time.

I'd list all the things wrong with it, but we'd be here all day, so here's just a few of them:

The timeline's all fucked the fuck up. It keeps jumping back and forth in time, but not for literary effect or anything. They just failed to consult the wiki.

Prodigy claims to have seen a UFO. (He also blathers on about the Illuminati, which he's threatened to write a book about.)

Prodigy tries to front like he di
Donald Armfield
I learned a lot about Prodigy in this book. Stuff I thought I knew as well as the things I did not. I thought I was going to be skipping through certain sections of this book only reading parts but I was hooked from the beginning. Mobb Deep was pretty much what got me hooked on rap muzik My best friend had a copy so I borrowed it and have to say a 5 star rating well deserved.

Alfonso Ribeiro (a.k.a. Carlton) appeared in Pepsi commercial with Michael Jackson. Later became star in fresh prince of b
April Helms
Prodigy, one half of the rap duo Mobb Deep, published his autobiography (with Laura Checkoway), which includes his background as a child, his struggles with sickle cell anemia, his music success, his stint in prison and release. I am really not sure how I feel about this one. I'd never really heard of Mobb Deep before this; this was a book sent to me at work and I thought I'd give it a go, for something different. The book flows well, and I imagine this being a hit on the Young Adult shelves. Bu ...more
Phillip
Apr 16, 2012 Phillip rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: advisory-12th
If you like rap, this is a book that's great for you. Prodigy from Mobb Deep was one of the first rappers to ever explode in the game. I have been a fan of his music and everything I read about him is unbelievable. Everything in this book sounds like a movie scene. I thought it was really interesting how the life of Prodigy was, especially since he is one of many rappers that I respect. From gunshots to death on the streets, this is a true story about how a guy came from the bottom all the way ...more
Rebekkila
Apr 23, 2014 Rebekkila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Albert Johnson has quite a pedigree. His grandfather is Big Bud Johnson and is in the jazz hall of fame. His grandmother was one of the original dancers at the cotton club in Harlem, when she retired she went on to be the dance instructor of many famous people such as Ben Vereen. His mother was a member of The Crystals.
Amazing how a man who came from that family ended up a gun toting gangster who will shoot someone for spilling his drink. The book was good, it is amazing how violent his life is,
Malloreon
Oct 03, 2015 Malloreon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge fan of Mobb Deep and I bought every one of their albums. Even growing up on their music and following them closely, this book still opened me up to a Mobb Deep reality that I wasn't even remotely aware of. This book is a must read for anybody interested in the music business! What makes this book so unique is the fact that Prodigy started from radio-unfriendly gangsta music, to amassing great fame and wealthy, to seeing up-and-comers like Jay-Z and 50 Cent pass by him and to see all h ...more
Narone Thomas
Jul 24, 2011 Narone Thomas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well I'm not a very big fan of mobb deep, but I've always bought they're music, after watching some footage on youtube...i decided to go ahead and purchase the book, after reading this book I was amazed about his life as a youngster, he had all the signs of really being something way more than just being a rapper....I'm also amazed on how he speaks on his demons regardless what people may say, he is a true writer to go in the depths of his pain and happiness...this book is definitely a treasure ...more
Gary
Jan 03, 2012 Gary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me and Prodigy both share the misfortune of having Sickle Cell Anemia, so it was very interesting for me to read his life story. The way he describes the pain that Sickle Cell causes is put exactly how I would describe it if I could even form it into words.

We also get an insight into his experiences of living in Queens and becoming one of Hip Hops pioneering gangsta rappers. Prodigy and Havoc (Mobb Deep) share a lot of Hip Hop history between them, so it was exhilarating for me as a Hip Hop fan
Pj
Aug 08, 2011 Pj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I'm biased because i'm a big Mobb Deep fan and came up during that hip-hop golden era. Thus, the book really resonated with me, as i was familiar with most of the people P makes reference to in the text. The story is told with quite a bit of candor and Prodigy displays a vulnerability that's refreshing. I flew through the book, finishing it in 2 days, and is definately a must for any Mobb Deep fan or lover of hip-hop culture.
Freddy Spierenburg
Somehow I feel the urge to compare this book to Scar Tissue, the autobiography of Red Hot Chili Peppers vocalist Anthony Kiedis. Both books are fascinating, partly sad, but inspiring stories.

The only downside is that while I was sucked deeply into Kiedis life while reading his book, that didn't happen with this one. I don't know. Can't really explain. Maybe my expectations where set a bit to high for this one, since I'm a big Hip Hop Junkie.

All in all this is a nice fun read.
Brian
Sep 16, 2011 Brian rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While this is an informative biography with the help of a collaborator, it isn't a very well-written autobiography. Prodigy has definitely lived an interesting life, has a unique family tree, has survived sickle cell anemia, but it's very sloppy and moves all over the place. He's either back in prison having a flashback, telling you a story about how he and Havoc were getting groupies, or talking about beef he has with various people.
Andrei
Sep 15, 2016 Andrei rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For hiphop heads, this is a great book, especially since it comes from a guy from New York, starting out in the era that gave us Nas, Tupac, Biggie, Ja Rule, 50 Cent and a whole lot more. Prodigy was there as it happened and he tells the story how he saw it, behind the scenes and away from the cameras.
Shea Flynn
Sep 19, 2011 Shea Flynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lot of great information if you like his music! He really lives what he writes in his music and even being a big fan I didnt know much of his personal life. Havoc was a close friend didn't know they had problems and I learned a lot about his pain and suffering with his disease. Hes a true fighter and a true street legend. Its good to see hes on a more positive route these days.
Sha
Oct 10, 2015 Sha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have much more respect for him now than I ever did. he is very courageous and god bless him and sickle cell patients. it is awful he has that disease and had to go through all that pain. he is amazing and I grew up watching him on tv and I thought he was mean but he is not. he just knows what it death feels like more than other folks. god bless him foreal though.
Julio Rivera
Sep 22, 2011 Julio Rivera rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a fan of rap music, specifically a fan of Mobb Deep's music, I felt it was a necessity to read this book. Prodigy's autobiography gives a fantastically detailed description and look into a lifestyle not experienced by most. Prodigy unabashedly gives intimate details of his experiences and hardships from a youth through his rise to prominence in the music industry.
Tim McLean
Jul 02, 2015 Tim McLean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting Read

A sometimes obviously honest, sometimes hard to believe read. Being a Mobb Deep fan, I was interested in P's story - especially during the Infamous, He'll on Earth, and Murda Muzik album days. The book is an all-telling, oftentimes funny, street narrative that should entertain most hip hop heads.
Naya Wilson
Jun 17, 2014 Naya Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. One of the best books I've read this year. There's so much background history in this autobiography that it's pretty mind blowing. In my opinion, this is A must read for anyone claiming to be a true Hip- Hop head.
Khari
Aug 15, 2011 Khari rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An insightful tale into the life of Prodigy of Mobb Deep, one of the more underrated lyricists in Hip Hop. The book jumps around and Prodigy's narrative is occasionally disjointed, but it is still a solid read for any Mobb Deep fan.
Shenandoah Smith
I read this book twice it was that interesting mobb deep is legendary and i am surprised Albert Johnson is still alive!!! The book goes thru chapters for each album and what has gone on during that period of time...long live mobb deep
Mujahid Aziz
Jun 22, 2015 Mujahid Aziz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book was man Ill thun...It was gangsta didn't all that ish when down like that kinda had that first 48hour slash cops feel to get. Like reading a police report had the date & time was dope. In between chapter played the current album they had poppin at that time word is bond kid...Mujah
Julian Meanchoff
As much as I like Mobb Deep this is pretty mediocre. His rants about the Illuminati are good to read but honestly, stories about "getting ready to pull gats on niggaz outside the club" get a bit tiresome.
Grace Johnson
Oct 30, 2015 Grace Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting
  • Invincible
  • Queens Reigns Supreme: Fat Cat, 50 Cent, and the Rise of the Hip Hop Hustler
  • Ego Trip's Book of Rap Lists
  • The Wu-Tang Manual
  • A Belle in Brooklyn: Advice for Living Your Single Life and Enjoying Mr. Right Now
  • After the Dance: My Life With Marvin Gaye
  • The Big Payback
  • People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm
  • Life and Def: Sex, Drugs, Money, + God
  • The One: The Life and Music of James Brown
  • Ice: A Memoir of Gangster Life and Redemption-from South Central to Hollywood
  • Deconstructing Sammy: Music, Money, Madness, and the Mob

“The UFO came to my house to show me the light, as if to say, 'Wake up, nigga! Snap out of it! We are real and you are important to us! Okay, we gotta go for now, hope you're ready when we come back!” 3 likes