Start by marking “Pearl-Maiden: A Tale of the Fall of Jerusalem” as Want to Read:
Pearl-Maiden: A Tale of the Fall of Jerusalem

Pearl-Maiden: A Tale of the Fall of Jerusalem

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  396 ratings  ·  28 reviews
"I do not know; I only know this, that in that wall, as in others, a door will be found. Trouble not for the future, but leave it in the hand of Him Who shapes all futures. Sufficient to the day is the evil thereof. So He said. Accept the saying and be grateful. It is something to have gained the love of such a one as this Roman, for, unless the wisdom which I have gained ...more
Published April 1st 2003 by IndyPublish.com (first published April 20th 1901)

To ask other readers questions about Pearl-Maiden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pearl-Maiden

Joshua
I found this story, intriguing and exciting. There were a couple of minor details that bugged me, (Similar to my opinion on Haggard's book, The Brethren), like, for example, making Christianity look somewhat Catholic.
Regardless, this book is recommended for those looking for an exciting historical-fiction read.
সোহাগ প্লাবন
হযাগারডের এই বইটি তার অনযানয বই থেকে সমপূরণ আলাদা। খুব ভাল একটি বই।আর অনুবাদের গুনে বইটি হয়ে গেছে আরো অসাধারণ। ...more
Ismail
বইটা চমৎকার। সেই সঙগে নিজের অনূদিত পরথম পূরণাঙগ বই বলে এর পরতি দুরবলতাও একটু বেশি। যারা পড়েননি, তাঁদেরকে পড়ে দেখার অনুরোধ রইল। ...more
Nicole
This was such a sweet and captivating story told with a real sense of the biblical times! I don't know why there's not a movie of Pearl Maiden!?! Miriam is so sweet and her faith is inspiring; Marcus and Caleb were both intriguing characters; and best of all: the ending was satisfactory!
Alicia Willis
13+ for violence.

This story has intrigued me since I first read it at the young age of 12. I was young to read it, but it drew me in even then. I now credit my love for historical-fiction with this book.

I love the historical accuracy of this book! From the Jewish faith to the order of Essenes to the Romans, everything is superbly well-written, detailed, and accurate. I learned so much, particularly about the Essenes and the real nature of Titus.

I related very well with Miriam. Her love for a Rom
Mallory
A beautiful story of faith, hope, and love set during the early days of the Church amidst the darkness and violence of the Roman Empire. Miriam, a young Jewish woman and a Christian, meets and falls in love with Marcus, a Roman soldier and officer. They are torn apart again and again by circumstances and beliefs, testing them both but never wavering their love. Miriam maintains her faith through the worst of trials and refuses to marry outside of it, much as it pains her. I admired the firmness ...more
Rafsan Jany
This novel by Sir Henry Rider Haggard is mainly about love. It explains much about the fall of Jerusalem. I find much similarities between this one and the "The Brethren" by the same writer because both of the stories based about a girl.
Overall it's a very interesting story! Enjoyed it!
Action packed! Well paced for the most part and it kept me interested. I didn't think there was enough chemistry between characters, though, and the last 3rd of the book felt really rushed. I felt ripped off by the time I was done reading it.
( ●—● ) Evelynn
3.5, really.

This was a great book: great storyline, great characters, great action and dialogue, and great descriptions.

The thing that bothered me was the repetetive reinstating of the belief that your soul goes straight to heaven when you die. As a fourth-generation Seventh-day Adventist, I do not believe that. I know that there are a lot of Christians who have this belief, it's just not mine. Also, the Christians of the Roman period were not baptized by sprinkling; they were baptized by full i
Oceaneyes12
Slow in some areas, but over-all, pretty good book.
Marufa Yeasmin
How do i read it?
Rebecca Rash
I really enjoyed this book up until the end - the end nearly ruined the whole read for me. It ended so abruptly, it was like someone slammed a door in the face of many possibilities, as there was many places the book could go. Otherwise a very good book, makes me think France Rivers Mark of the Lion Trilogy is a bit of a take off of Haggard's story... Worth the read, just be ready for the end.
Bobbie
I still love Pearl Maiden even after reading it in middle school several years back. From what I can remember it's very emotionally touching and you get a real glimpse into the struggles that Jews went through. Very dark and raw. I need to re-read it one of these days. If you like this style of book then you would probably really enjoy this. It's quite possibly H. Rider Haggard's best work.
Alexxus
Jul 13, 2012 Alexxus rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves historical fiction and/or plot twists and interesting plotlines
This book was one of the best historical reads EVER. At first I was hesitant to read it, considering I'm not a big reader of historical fiction. But, my mom insisted, and so I got it, and once I read the first chapter, I couldn't put it down. It's such a captivating read! I was in love the entire time. Nothing about it disappointed me. I recommend it 100%.

Sydney
Jan 11, 2014 Sydney rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves the roman era and adventure
I've read this book twice, and have decided that it is one of my favorite books. I love the adventure, and thrill that takes place throughout Miriam's life. It is full of detailed information of the fall of Jerusalem. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who loves historical fiction.
Madeline Stone
This was a great favorite of mine, and while I might find the perfection of the heroine slightly sickening now, the book itself will probably still stand firm; a book that I could stand to read three times through and not be sick of must have some merit.
Abigail Rasmussen
My Mom read this out loud to my sister and I when we were 15 and 17. Fun read aloud for older kids. My brother read it when he was about 14 and he really liked it also; not just a girl book!
Catherine Anne
This is my All-time Favorite book!!! It has romance, danger, sadness, and adventure. It is about a girl growing up during the fall of Jerusalem. I definetaly reccomened it!
Hannah

I LOVED this book!
I really like how strong Miriam is through all the trials and testings that she goes through.
This is a book that I would strongly suggest reading!
Sillyhounds
This book was extremely well-written. Lots of rich history, characters that are old friends and a story of redemption that deeply touched my heart.
Marsha
Oct 10, 2007 Marsha rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody
A very good book,but kind of hard to get started in. Cassie is doing a book report on it.....we'll have to get her input!
Miriam
Jul 24, 2011 Miriam rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Miriam by: Vision Forum
Very good book! I really like Miriam's courage and faith through all the troubles in her life:) Strongly reccomend.
Hannah Simmons
An excting book!!!! A little romance too. It invloves the attack of Titus upon the city of Jerusalem in 70 A.D.
Rachel
This one I more-or-less read a year or two ago. It didn't grab me, though it's pretty good, I suppose...
Jaime
Great story, great morals. There's not much better than a well-written period drama with a good message.
Jenna
Once you get started in this book, it is excellent, very gripping, and encouraging!
Brianna
Liked it. Would like more books in this time line...but I can't find anymore...
Abigail
This book is Amazing.
I love it!!
I could read it again.
Dan J
Dan J added it
Jun 29, 2015
  • For the Temple
  • To Have and to Hold: A Tale of Providence and Perseverance in Colonial Jamestown
  • The Hidden Hand: Or, Capitola the Madcap
  • Duncan's War (Crown and Covenant, #1)
  • The Princess Adelina: An Ancient Christian Tale of Beauty & Bravery
  • Twice Freed
  • Titus: A Comrade of the Cross
  • A Peep Behind the Scenes (Rare Collector's Series)
  • Elsie's Widowhood (The Original Elsie Classics #7)
Sir Henry Rider Haggard was an English writer of adventure novels set in exotic locations, predominantly Africa, and the creator of the Lost World literary genre. His stories, situated at the lighter end of the scale of Victorian literature, continue to be popular and influential. He was also involved in agricultural reform and improvement in the British Empire.

His breakout novel was King Solomon
More about H. Rider Haggard...
King Solomon's Mines (Allan Quatermain, #1) She (She, #1) Allan Quatermain The People of the Mist Ayesha: The Return of She

“more vigorous males had been carefully drafted to serve as gladiators, this little band was made of women and” 0 likes
“troublesome person by the governor, Pontius Pilate, a Roman official, who” 0 likes