Start by marking “Tom Finder” as Want to Read:
Tom Finder

Tom Finder

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  94 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Winner of the Benjamin Franklin Award in the category of Juvenile-Young Adult Fiction!Winner of the Mr. Christie's Book Award!Shortlist for the 2004 Canadian Library Association Young Adult Canadian Book AwardOntario Library Association's Golden Oak Award winner, 2005This riveting story is about a fifteen-yearold boy who, as the story opens, realizes he has no idea who he ...more
Published April 1st 2003 by Red Deer Press (first published February 14th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Tom Finder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tom Finder

Mary-Celeste
MARTINE LEAVITT REQUIREMENT
Tom wakes up in a park with no recollection of who he is, where his lives, or where he comes from. His backpack gives him virtually no clues, except a note that says, "you're nice." Tom realizes that he doesn't know who he is, but he wants to be nice, smart, and good. He gets to know himself, and finds evidence of all three of those traits as he does so. His story is roughly parallel to Prince Tamino's in Mozart's The Magic Flute, at least as far as the "Papageno" char
Marissa
How would you feel if you woke up in a strange place and had no idea how you got there? What if you noticed you were losing your memory, and had already forgot most of your life? Would you be able to cope? These are some of the many struggles Tom Finder has to face throughout this story. This is a story of how one little boy with amnesia can use his smarts, surroundings, and journal to find his way home.
I like this book because Tom shows how strong teenagers can be and how they can support the
Nancy
The poem was called "Goblin's Market."

The words were things you could hold; they had weight and shape and smell: fruits, lick, melon, golden. ...When he read this poem, it was easy to see why his own wasn't working, wasn't finding Daniel, or home."

It's interesting to me that Martine Leavitt, who has seven children - seven children! Shouldn't that indicate considerable stability? - writes about unpredictability with such passion. Tom is 15 and can't remember anything except how to run. In his run
April
I thought this was a good book for the 12 year old age range, which is exactly what I expected when I read the back and bought the book, so no big surprises there.

While the 'mystery' of Tom's life wasn't such a big mystery -- the author drops some pretty heavy hints after all -- it was still intriguing to watch Tom go through his life on the streets, making friends, and trying to find Daniel.

On a shallow note, I really liked the fact that this book was clearly Canadian, set in Canada with small
Kara
MARTINE LEAVITT REQUIREMENT

This book was okay. I didn't feel a real sense of resolution at the end, which is alright, I suppose. I did enjoy that it was an exploration of self. I mean, think about it: if you woke up having no idea who you were, you'd have to take the time to remember things like: I'm a good speller, a bad basketball player, etc. It's a rediscovery.

I'm interested why the driving motif in the book had to do with the magic flute as it didn't seem so parallel that Tom Finder was a r
Shawna
I would give this book a 3.5. I was recommended to this book by a highschooler I work with. It was one of his assigned readings, so I was curious as to what kind of books they were reading in English class these days! Memory loss, living on the streets, street violence, substance abuse, prostitution, domestic violence.....all this included in a highschool read. Things have sure changed....

Overall, it was well written, interesting, relevent to society today and produced an important message. I ca
Megan
i loved the way the author made a new kind of thought to drugs and such though i really didn't like the ending i now that Janice didn't have a good ending she couldn't. and i dind't know those other characters but still...
i knew the moment Tom saw Pam that they were going to end up together though.
at first i thought Tom had no parents but i guess having a mom that uses forget and having to live with her abusive boyfriend kinda fits my idea.
Ladd Laulusa
This is about a 15 year old boy named Tom, who finds himself on the streets of Calgary having no memory of who he is. All he has is a first name, a piece of candy, a notebook with notes all over it about "The Magic Flute", and blood on his jean. he need to make a new identity. during his rediscovery he goes in and out of the fantastic with hopes that he will once again be back home with his family, normal and happy.
Taffy
Once again, Martine Leavitt has weaved an unforgettable tale. Tom Finder doesn't remember who he is, where he came from or if he is 'nice'. He has a backpack, notebook and pencil and he invents himself through writing in his notebook. It is a tale of courage and of sadness. I felt for this poor teenage boy and his circumstances.
Ginger
The story of Tom, an amnesiac boy who finds himself on the streets of Calgary. He’s dubbed Tom Finder by Samuel Wolflegs, a First Nations man who is looking for his son, Daniel. Tom believes that he will be able to find his home after he finds Daniel. Throughline of gravity—so beautifully done.
Tom forgot his past and lives on the streets to find himself (partly using a notebook, partly with Mozart’s Magic Flute), and helps find a man find his son.

Great first and last lines. Great example of a climax scene--where the character is in an extreme life threatening situation.
whalesister
Apr 25, 2008 whalesister rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens, not middle-grade readers--deals with serious issues
Shelves: young-adult
I don't know why Martine Leavitt's books are so hard to find. Her writing is consistently beautiful and perfectly crafted. I prefer her fantasy-writing, but I liked this a lot anyway, just because I love her style.
Cindy
I like how this author writes.
it was a good book. kind of sad to read, but mainly because I don't think about street people as often as I should! gave me a new perspective.
Heather
This is a great book! I read it aloud to my Grade 8 class and they loved it and begged me to keep reading as the end of each session drew near!
Shanna_redwind
Very well done. The characters were very interesting and the book kept me reading until I finished it. I just had to find out who Tom Finder was.
Julie
A very tightly constructed, interesting book. I was surprised over and over. I particularly loved the spelling motif, and the sunbather in the park.
Laurie
Hmmm.... not exactly what I thought it was going to be about. Tragic yet empowering. Interesting read. I mean, I finished it right?!? lol
Halli Lilburn
very good. symbolic of society being 'lost'. portrays our typically negative regard for homelessness
David
Excellent story about life on the streets, self-worth, and the power of words.
TheRose
This is definitely not something I normally read, but it was intriguing and ended well.
Derrick
Fantastic. I don't know what it is about the way M. Leavitt writes, but she is amazing.
Jc
One of the shortlisted titles for the CLA Young Adult Book Award in 2004.
Julie Daines
Martine Leavitt has such a beautiful way with words.
Kari
Homelessness, YA, memory loss, identity.
Yara
So stupid. Don't ever read it!
Robin
Robin marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
190403
Martine Leavitt is the author of eight novels for young adults, including My Book of Life by Angel, a finalist for the Los Angeles Times Book Prize and winner of the CLA Young Adult Book of the Year Award. Keturah and Lord Death was a National Book Award finalist, Tom Finder was a winner of the Mr. Christie’s Book Award, and Heck Superhero was a Governor General’s Award finalist. Martine’s novels ...more
More about Martine Leavitt...
Keturah and Lord Death My Book of Life by Angel Heck Superhero The Dollmage Blue Mountain