Start by marking “The Cave of John the Baptist: The First Archaeological Evidence of the Historical Reality of the Gospel Story” as Want to Read:

The first archaeological evidence of the historical reality of the Gospel story.

From a historical point of view, the uniqueness of this cave is that it contains archaeological evidence that comes to us from the very time of the personalities and events described in the Gospels. For here is the largest ritual bathing pool ever found in the Jerusalem area, and found in the v
Published October 18th 2005 by Image (first published April 27th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Cave of John the Baptist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Cave of John the Baptist

Richard Derus
Nov 15, 2011 Richard Derus rated it it was ok
Self-congratulatory little man digs up some caves in the non-oily parts of the Middle East, relies on folk tales and medieval credulity to tie them to a major Biblical figure, and signs a book contract. The end.

Except it isn't. He witters on for 326pp about his amazing finds and his astonishing insights and his startling conclusions, and they're all pretty sketchily supported from what I can tell, and subject to other interpretations. And that's the kind of sentence he writes, too.

I study Christ
Paul
This sometimes rambling account of an archaeological dig, along with side-trips and speculations on the life and teachings of John the Baptist, mostly delivers the goods.

I came across this book while researching the history of baptism, and knew right away I wanted to read it. I'm glad that I have, even though not all parts of the book were equally interesting to me. There is a lot of material here on things I found tangential, such as descriptions of churches dedicated to John the Baptist and a
Nathan
Jun 07, 2008 Nathan rated it liked it
This book was a total impulse buy for me and I am glad that I did it. It is equal parts travel log, regional history, personal journal of the archeologist and theory about the site itself. If you are at all interested in the history of the holy land, this book is quite enjoyable.
Pete daPixie
Feb 07, 2009 Pete daPixie rated it liked it
Shelves: historical-jesus
Shimon Gibson has quite a depth of archaeological involvement in Israel. Very Taboresque interpretation of NT. No King Tut's tomb this, but with a very interesting history.
Alison
Sep 05, 2012 Alison rated it liked it
Very interesting. I learned a lot and but it also gave me more questions than answers (which is a good thing). It was a bit dry in parts though.
Matthew Peters
Matthew Peters rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2013
John
John rated it it was ok
Jul 26, 2011
Leon Argamasilla
Leon Argamasilla rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2011
Shoghig kaloussian azezian
Shoghig kaloussian azezian rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2011
Maribeth0716
Maribeth0716 rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2008
Augustine Kobayashi
Augustine Kobayashi rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2014
John Hanscom
John Hanscom rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2010
Patrick
Patrick rated it did not like it
Jan 28, 2012
Matthew Peters
Matthew Peters rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2013
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2017
Honorable Patches
Honorable Patches rated it it was ok
Sep 24, 2011
Lilika
Lilika rated it it was ok
Oct 03, 2015
Stacy
Stacy rated it it was ok
Nov 09, 2011
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2008
David Myers
David Myers rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2012
Greta Brookes
Greta Brookes rated it really liked it
Jul 20, 2015
Ambrose Miles
Ambrose Miles rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2014
Robyn
Robyn rated it did not like it
Jun 18, 2007
Larry
Larry added it
Jul 06, 2008
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2008
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2009
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2011
Ronda
Ronda marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2012
Rey
Rey marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2012
Cliff Davis
Cliff Davis marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2012
Nathan Zimmermann
Nathan Zimmermann marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2012
Jesse
Jesse marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2013
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2013
Ralphz
Ralphz marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Felix
Felix marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2015
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Ashley Szmanda
Ashley Szmanda marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Josie Kamau
Josie Kamau marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Shelton HIll
Shelton HIll marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2016
Wes Baker
Wes Baker is currently reading it
Dec 30, 2016
John Nickles
John Nickles marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2017
Payce
Payce marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2015
Salim Soukieh
Salim Soukieh marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2009
Ronald
Ronald added it
Dec 14, 2009
Shimon Gibson is a British-born archaeologist working in Jerusalem, where he is currently a Senior Associate Fellow at the W.F. Albright Institute of Archaeological Research. He has an appointment as adjunct Professor of Archaeology at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Gibson undertook his academic studies at the Institute of Archaeology, University College London, where he also compl ...more
More about Shimon Gibson...