Start by marking “First Evidence” as Want to Read:
First Evidence

First Evidence

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  242 ratings  ·  39 reviews
A down-to-earth forensics expert has just discovered a crime scene that is out of this world.

In criminal forensics they train you to uncover evidence, no matter how brutal or bizarre the murder.

But what if one night you make contact with a crime scene so terrifying, no one on earth can explain it?

It begins at a chaotic crime scene in the deep woods of the Pacific Northwest...more
Published February 1st 2000 by Bantam (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about First Evidence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about First Evidence

Any Length
Erneilson
Forensic science meets sci-fi, with shadowy aliens and a determined investigator. As a forensic science practitioner myself and acquainted with the Oregon state crime lab system, it was a bit of a chuckle in some places.
Heather Pearson
A science fiction novel that doesn't smack you in the face with space ships and outlandish aliens. Rather, it is a story that evolves through the police investigation of a reported shooting. Crime Scene Investigator Colin Cellars is called to the scene of a multiple shooting and finds a crime scene that doesn't fit his expectations. Something is out of place, but Colin can't seem to put his finger on it. He knows he's being watched, but by whom and why.

At the same time as he carries out his in...more
Stephanie Berry
Seems unlikely to have law enforcement firing multiple shots at shadows he cannot identify. It went downhill from there...
• Tom •
Read this a long time ago. Don't remember it well, but seems to me it was meh.
Mary White
Not much on science fiction.
Matt Sparling
More of a mystery than a scifi book but still I liked it a lot.
Mam
Read long time ago.
Kcgood
Very well written (other than a few passages with a level of meticulous detail that only a forensic scientist could love) and very intense. The ending approaches a Hamlet level of carnage; you almost wonder whether it was really worth it. But if you're looking for a tightly written twisty plot without holes, strong characters that never become superheroes, and a gratifyingly significant creepy factor, this is a good book.
Sherry Ramsey
I did enjoy this police-procedural-meets-alien-contact combination; it was well-written and engaging, and really rates more of a 3.5 than just a 3 from me. My only quibble is the level of detail that the author sometimes went into...things were happening, certainly, but sometimes they took a l o n g time to happen. There were also a few questions I had at the end...but overall definitely a good, fun, summer read.
Stacy
Excellent listen. I enjoyed this book from start to finish, which is unusual. It dragged a bit in disc 9 but quickly recovered. Neat concept, cool beings, lots of plot twists. I was so anxious to see how it ended that I took my ipod to work and listened to the last 3 1/2 hours at my desk!

I would love to see this as a series. I would be buying book 2 right now.
Diana Allan
I am not sure how this book got an average 4 star review...it is not a good book. The writing is substandard yet rich with useless detail that detracts from the bizarre story. The story is the kind where you wake up in the morning from a dream and try to record it and then sell it as a book. Steer clear from this one.
Priscilla Dean
I listened to the audio book and although I am usually really good about following along with the narrator and understanding about what is happening with the plot.. 1/5th of the way through the book nothing still hadn't happened and I gave up on it. Lots of descriptions about guns and so forth left me bored.
Joanna
I actually enjoyed this book - I read it on audiobooks and I wanted to listen to it all the time because I wanted to know what would happen. Not a huge fan of science fiction/alien books but this one was good and didn't throw the alien factor in your face.
Jeanne
A forensic detective, one of the best in the country, has his work cut out for him. All of his oh-so-carefully collected evidence has disappeared, along with the body of a friend and rival. Is it even possible that ETs are involved? No spoilers here for this riveting read.
Greer Andjanetta
A thoroughly enjoyable story. The mysterious happenings are finally explained as aliens but the lighthearted writing style and the intriguing questions prompted me to give a higher 'enjoyability' rating than the literary content might warrant.
Don
Not that bad. Caught my interest right from the first page.

Aliens (or split universe beings). Though by the end of the book there are more questions than answers. I'll have to read the 2nd volumes to find out.
Terri Light
A potboiler crime/alien quick-read. I had a difficult time with the fact that the crime scene investigators were using film cameras in this day and age, but it was a fun sci-fi thriller nonetheless.
Sori
Almost every character was a caricature, and the science wasn't even that interesting. It would've been slightly better if the aliens had killed all of the main characters.
Tamera
I cannot explain to you how lost I was throughout this book. I kept reading because I knew at some point it would click. It finally did...I think. It was a good story though.
MK
Oct 08, 2013 MK rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
Immeasurably slow. Only pseudo-suspenseful. Also, the audiobook narrator has a frustrating tendency to slip into southern accents for what are supposed to be native Oregonians.
Lili
This is a chilling, scary, spooky plot that got me hooked from the first chapter. It is a spine tingling good read.
Dianne
This was a fun book. It was intriguing and kept my interest consistently. It was hard to put down!
Marca
Aliens! Not a fan of supernatural. Did not even start book after checking reviews.
Bill Stanford
CSI meets the X-Files, I really did enjoy this story, the first in the trilogy series.
Walter Hopgood
Just re-read this book after a decade. Still as suspenseful and intriguing!
KAREN GIRGENTI
This read literally put me to sleep.
Grace Ventura
Was really dragged out but it was a pretty good book
Donovan
Oregon State police investigating UFO's - lots of fun
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Ripper (Event Group Adventure, #7)
  • The Promised War (Sam Deker, #1)
  • Gideon
  • The Overtaking
  • The Best of Poe
  • The Last Day
  • The Complete Fuzzy (Fuzzy Sapiens, #1-3)
  • The Cure
  • The Uncanny
  • Nightwalkers (Cam Richter, #4)
  • Battle for Atlantis (Atlantis, #6)
  • Killer
  • Soothe the Burn
  • Echo Of The Reich (Chris Bronson, #5)
  • The Thieves Of Faith (Michael St. Pierre, #2)
  • The Silent Cradle
  • The Assigned
  • Vertical Burn
203102
Ken Goddard describes himself as "a crime scene investigator, forensic scientist, wildlife crime lab director, husband, father, grandfather, supposed cattle rancher, and more to the point, a fiction author who writes fiction novels about professional terrorists, underground chemists, demented burglars and malicious poachers for any number of reasons."
More about Ken Goddard...
In Extremis (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, #9) Outer Perimeter Prey Balefire The Alchemist