Start by marking “King of the City” as Want to Read:
King of the City

King of the City (Mother London / King of the City)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  6 reviews
More than a decade ago, Michael Moorcock's extraordinary Mother London gave stunning new breath and style to contemporary literature. With Bruce Chatwin's Utz and Salman Rushdie's The Satanic Verses, the novel was short-listed for Britain's prestigious Whitbread Prize. Now, with scathing wit and enthralling vision, the author whom the Washington Post has praised as "one of ...more
Published August 2nd 2011 by William Morrow (first published May 2nd 2000)

To ask other readers questions about King of the City, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King of the City

Gerald
Full of dense, wonderful prose - it took me a long time to read it, but I didn't care, enjoying it all so much and soaking it in.

Seamlessly moves between the fictional and non-fictional. The lead character has Lemmy come over for breakfast in one of the memorable set pieces and there is a wonderful passage on the death of Princess Dian. I want to visit Brookgage, The Mill and some of the other locations, but they don't actually exist. Moorcock has captured London in spirit wonderfully.

Possibly
Ian Mapp
First thing that strikes you about this paperback is the print size. Its is tiny and tight sentances means that you have to be committed to plow your way through.

The story starts (and ends) brilliantly. Den is an ex band member (autobiographical?) and now a tabloid photographer. He has a scoop by getting pictures of an industrialist, and friend, in a clinch at a holiday destination.

Cue some strong and effective dialogue about post lady diana, state of the nation.

Then the problems start. the chap
Ali Miremadi
I love this book. Perfect sequel to the entirely different 'Mother London'. Uplifting. Equally good on rereading.
Derek Vice
Boring. Plot: 2/10 - where is this going? I can't be bothered to find out... Overall 2/10
Tim Barrable
Its a while since I read any Moorcock. I used to be heavily into his myth & magic 'Elric' and 'JC' novels in my youth and then read Mother London in later years. This is a kaleidoscopic and at times pyschedelic journey through the London of the 60's and 70's which is historically detailed and inventive. It almost feels like you are reading the history of actual events as in some instances I'm sure you are. This guy is up there with Pinchon and Eco, a literary master.
Jamie Hambrick
Jamie Hambrick marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
Leonard
Leonard is currently reading it
Jul 04, 2015
Stefan Grønvik
Stefan Grønvik marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Thay
Thay marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Shannon Clement
Shannon Clement marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Moi
Moi marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
David White
David White marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Mahreen Khan
Mahreen Khan marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Tina Tini
Tina Tini marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
D. Benjamin
D. Benjamin marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Chuck Childers
Chuck Childers marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Shawn Faust
Shawn Faust marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Geoffrey Jones
Geoffrey Jones marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Michael John Moorcock is an English writer primarily of science fiction and fantasy who has also published a number of literary novels.
Moorcock has mentioned The Gods of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs, The Apple Cart by George Bernard Shaw and The Constable of St. Nicholas by Edward Lester Arnold as the first three books which captured his imagination. He became editor of Tarzan Adventures in 1956,
More about Michael Moorcock...

Mother London / King of the City (2 books)
  • Mother London
Elric of Melniboné (Elric, #1) Stormbringer (Elric, #6) The Weird of the White Wolf (The Elric Saga, #3) The Vanishing Tower (Elric, #4) The Sailor on the Seas of Fate (Elric, #2)

“Our Di had, according to her myth, been hounded to death by the baying werewolves of the yellow press. Of course it was now plain I was one. Maybe even the worst of them. Some people claimed they had actually seen me baying. In the tunnel. With the blood of their angel on my hands.” 1 likes