Start by marking “Listening to Your Life: Daily Meditations with Frederick Buechner” as Want to Read:
Listening to Your Life: Daily Meditations with Frederick Buechner

Listening to Your Life: Daily Meditations with Frederick Buechner

4.34  ·  Rating Details ·  1,351 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
Daily meditations taken from the works of an acclaimed novelist, essayist, and preacher who has articulated what he sees with a freshness and clarity and energy that hails our stultified imaginations.
Published May 8th 1992 by HarperOne

The Wounded Healer by Henri J.M. NouwenCelebration of Discipline by Richard J. FosterGilead by Marilynne RobinsonThe Pursuit of God by A.W. TozerA Praying Life by Paul E. Miller
The 100 Best Books for Your Spirit
98th out of 121 books — 29 voters
Letters to a Young Poet by Rainer Maria RilkeThe Art of Startup Fundraising by Alejandro CremadesThe Ecological Rift by John Bellamy FosterWhat's Behind Your Belly Button? A Psychological Perspective ... by Martha Char LoveAnimal Farm by George Orwell
Best Books That Grow You
259th out of 276 books — 187 voters

More lists with this book...

Kelly
Aug 28, 2009 Kelly rated it it was amazing
This book has been my companion for 15+ years. One of my favorite entries is August 3, entitled "Wine".

I quote it here:
****************************
Unfermented grape juice is a bland and pleasant drink, especially on a warm afternoon mixed half-and-half with ginger ale. It is a ghastly symbol of the life blood of Jesus Christ, especially when it is served in antiseptic, thimble-sized glasses.

Wine is booze, which means it is dangerous and drunk-making. It makes the timid brave and the reserved am
Conrad
Jan 01, 2014 Conrad rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! It was the first "daily devotional" book that I have stayed with and not lost interest in. Taken from all of his writings, this book was a pleasure to open each day and find something thoughtful and meaningful on each page - and many of those pages were thus shared with friends on my Facebook page (and for anyone wanting to do that simply go to www.frederickbuechner.com and type in the daily heading into the search bar an up it pops so you can copy and paste!). I highly recommen ...more
Becky
Sep 09, 2012 Becky rated it it was amazing
If you are a person of faith, I highly encourage you to get journey through a year with these devotions. Buechner's wise reflections are an amazing way to start each day, and you will find your brain bringing his words back again and again. . . .
April Cardinal
May 31, 2009 April Cardinal rated it it was amazing
Buechner is wonderful. His thoughts are always inspiring, always challenging me to see things in a different way, and always making me feel like it's okay to think outside of the box. He is brilliant. This book is great for short daily insights.
Brian Allain
Jan 04, 2013 Brian Allain rated it it was amazing
Excellent "greatest quotes" book. Be sure to read February 28. Also see www.frederickbuechner.com.
Laysee
Dec 30, 2015 Laysee rated it it was amazing
Today I read the last devotion for 2015 and am filled with gratitude for Frederick Buechner whose meditative reflections - one for each day - kept me company all of this year.

You don't have to be a believer to read "Listening To Your Life". Buechner writes insightfully from his observations of life and his empathy for our human needs and struggles. I have found it illuminating and comforting to spend a few minutes every day reflecting on a short passage of reading. These are bite size readings
Jonathan
Jan 12, 2008 Jonathan rated it really liked it
This book is just what the title says, a daily reader from one of the richest, warmest voices still living in literature. These morsels of solid food for mind and heart will see many days even after the dear man is gone too.

No bones about it, Frederick Buechner is my favorite living author. He simply has a way of putting things that moves me to action and repose at the same time, to both internal contentment and stark rage at the world's pains and injustices. Having his tomes at hand to glance a
Jolin
Jul 27, 2012 Jolin rated it it was amazing
This book influenced my faith journey at a crucial time in my life. I wanted to start a prayer-life, didn't fit in with many religious types, and liked the pretty cover of this book. I had no idea I had chosen wisely at all. It was more of a whim. And yet, I couldn't have chosen a better starting place for my spiritual journey than this daily devotional. This is where I was first introduced to Frederick Buechner. And through this collection of writings divided into thought-provoking snippets I w ...more
Malbadeen
Oct 19, 2007 Malbadeen rated it liked it
Shelves: religionish
I used to be the kind of person that woke up really, really, really early and read things "spiritual" and tried to think about things that mattered to me for a few minutes before the day started. I'd like to be that kind of person again. sometimes i pick up a book like this and try to get there again.
Some of the clips are too out of context for me (snippets from his books), but some a like because he just opens up a big hearken question and lets it sit there.
This book is also somewhat of an anom
Sandy H
Apr 25, 2011 Sandy H rated it it was amazing
I used Listening to Your Life several years ago as my daily meditation resource and loved it--I have always found Frederick Buechner's writings to be thought-provoking and touch that part of me that finds literature to be one of the greatest resources for my spiritual growth. Buechner's non-fiction prose still reads like literature without becoming too frothy--I often used quotations from his works in my preaching. I also appreciate daily meditation resources that don't try to tell me what the m ...more
Jasonlylescampbell
Dec 28, 2014 Jasonlylescampbell rated it liked it
He is an excellent writer. I think this kind of chopped up writing (where someone else has taken someone's work and parsed it out to 365 days) is bound to be a little hit or miss. I enjoyed reading it most days and it definitely inspires me to read more of his writings. Here is a sample:

I pick the children up at the bottom of the mountain where the orange bus lets them off in the wind. They run for the car like leaves blowing. Not for keeps, to be sure, but at least for the time being, the world
Melanie Griffin
May 18, 2016 Melanie Griffin rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: thoughtful Christians (not fundies)
This is one of my favorite daily meditation books. It contains excerpts from Buechner's fiction, memoir, and essays, so it never gets tiresome or repetitive as do some daily readers by a single author. Buechner's voice and personality is so compelling and humorous, I often feel as if I've stopped by for a cup of tea and a quick chat with the man himself. Such a creative and imaginative writer! You might not care for this if you're not a Jesus-person, though.

I give it a 4 rather than a 5 because
Emily
Oct 29, 2007 Emily rated it liked it
This is a daily devotional taken from snippets of Buechner's books. I have been reading it for a while. It is Christian based and usually about Christian topics, sometimes vaguely. Todays was linking all weddings to the wedding in Cana.

I agree with him on some things, think he often writes very thoughtfully, and love the way that he writes non-fiction like it could belong in a novel. Sometimes I think he is a little pretentious. The first day I read, it had some negative over-generalization abo
Julie
Sep 26, 2016 Julie is currently reading it
A beautiful daily devotional...
James Prothero
Dec 02, 2015 James Prothero rated it it was amazing
every morning for a dose of sanity
Suzyberry
Jan 14, 2012 Suzyberry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faith-based
This book touched my heart deeply. There were moments when I was reading and I was suddenly swept into an emotional and personal reminder of things long buried. Frederick Buechner has the blessed ability to put faith, doubt, hurt, suffering, jubilation and those 'aha' moments into words that pierce your heart. Several times I was moved to cleansing tears...other times moved to solid strength and faith. A beautiful book...you will carry a copy of it with you all through life...mine is tattered, u ...more
Chris
Jan 07, 2014 Chris rated it it was amazing
This book is a must for my daily walk in life. Frederick Buechner has the rare gift of making the spiritual alive and real in a material world. His gift of looking at life in a deep, prophetic way enables me to get my perspective aligned in the morning before I start my day.
Emma
I'm already rating it because I've read it before. It was a while ago, though, and I was in a different place both literally and metaphorically, and I think I'll get a lot more from it this year.
Update: I read it through again in 2012. I like pertinent quotes, although on the other hand with many of them you do feel like the context would have been helpful.
Karen
Mar 27, 2014 Karen rated it it was amazing
This is a book of daily meditations so it is a compilation of snippets of Buechner's writings. I thoroughly enjoyed it and love his writing style.
Jeff Wiersma
May 24, 2012 Jeff Wiersma rated it it was amazing
I've used this as a daily meditation/reflection guide for the better part of 8 years, and it still speaks new things to me. When asked to comment on this gem, Maya Angelou said "This book is meant to possess, and at the same time liberate, the heart. I'm happy to report it succeeds."
Kate Leonard
Jan 10, 2015 Kate Leonard rated it it was amazing
Read it through once and am starting the second time through. Buechner is a gem. He has the rare gift of making God accessible. Buechner and C.S. Lewis are solely responsible for my being able to believe in God. Their insights touch my heart, guide my mind, and eradicate doubts.
Stephen
Sep 27, 2012 Stephen rated it it was amazing
Buechner is one of my favorite Christian writers. He is a skilled author who expresses spiritual truth in a fresher and more expressive light than many current writers. You will find yourself resonating with many of the thoughts of this man and you will enjoy his books.
Lillian
May 25, 2007 Lillian rated it really liked it
these daily devotionals by buechner are short enough to easily swallow whenever you have a few spare moments during the day. i've never been one to sink easily into the routine of devotions, but this book caught my eye and has continued to hold my attention.
Mike Jeffries
Jan 19, 2013 Mike Jeffries rated it it was amazing
On Jan. 20, you'll hear Pastor Thompson refer to a minister named Frederick Buechner. Dr. Buechner is one of the most extraordinary thinkers in current Christianity. This book -- LISTEN TO YOUR LIFE -- is an accessible introduction to his work.
Kent
Dec 01, 2011 Kent rated it really liked it
Arranged as a daily devotional, I am enjoying selected highlights from many of Buechner's writings for each day. Most are very good. Some are very, very good. A couple are fantastic!

Dayspring
Jul 29, 2007 Dayspring rated it liked it
I read this a lot during college. It's an anthology that takes excerpts from Buechner's writings and uses them as daily reflections for the calendar year.
Anna
Jun 27, 2014 Anna rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-favorites
While I don't agree with his theology 100% of the time, most of what is in this book resonated with me. It's definitely a poet's devotional.
Cathy Freeman
Aug 05, 2013 Cathy Freeman rated it it was amazing
I read this book over and over plus other books by Bueckner-he has expanded my faith in so many ways-part of my daily devotions and meditation
Matt Hill
Jul 05, 2010 Matt Hill rated it really liked it
the snippets from his random fiction don't usually work, but esp. stuff from *gospel as fairy tale* are still so insightful and excellent . .
Marla
Dec 12, 2007 Marla rated it it was amazing
buechner is a master. he can make the most mundane circumstances spiritual. i'll read him before anyone else when i need a change in perspective.
  • Bread for the Journey: A Daybook of Wisdom and Faith
  • Ragman: And Other Cries of Faith
  • Finding Sanctuary: Monastic Steps for Everyday Life
  • Let Your Life Speak: Listening for the Voice of Vocation
  • Soul Feast: An Invitation to the Christian Spiritual Life
  • Stages of Faith: The Psychology of Human Development and the Quest for Meaning
19982
Frederick Buechner is a highly influential writer and theologian who has won awards for his poetry, short stories, novels and theological writings. His work pioneered the genre of spiritual memoir, laying the groundwork for writers such as Anne Lamott, Rob Bell and Lauren Winner.

His first book, A Long Day's Dying, was published to acclaim just two years after he graduated from Princeton. He entere
More about Frederick Buechner...

“Christ never promises peace in the sense of no more struggle and suffering. Instead, he helps us to struggle and suffer as he did, in love, for one another. Christ does not give us security in the sense of something in this world, some cause, some principle, some value, which is forever. Instead, he tells us that there is nothing in this world that is forever, all flesh is grass. He does not promise us unlonely lives. His own life speaks loud of how, in a world where there is little love, love is always lonely. Instead of all these, the answer that he gives, I think, is himself. If we go to him for anything else, he may send us away empty or he may not. But if we go to him for himself, I believe that we go away always with this deepest of all our hungers filled.” 8 likes
“Let him tell them the truth. Before the Gospel is a word, it is silence. It is the silence of their own lives and of his life. It is life with the sound turned off so that for a moment or two you can experience it not in terms of the words you make it bearable by but for the unutterable mystery that it is. Let him say, "Be silent and know that I am God" (Psalm 46:10). Be silent and know that even by my silence and absence I am known. Be silent and listen to the stones cry out.

Out of the silence let the only real news comes, which is sad news before it is glad news and that is fairy tale last of all.”
8 likes