Start by marking “Scratch” as Want to Read:
Scratch

Scratch

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  25 reviews
An unexpected reminder of his past prompts Jim Cooper, a 33 year-old Glaswegian call centre worker, to make a big decision. He’s going back to adulthood ground-zero - no job, no debt, no, er, home, and starting again. Maybe this time he can do it right and get the girl. The fact that the girl is already married and living in another country and her Bruce Lee obsessed dad a ...more
Nook, 0 pages
Published May 29th 2011 by Danny Gillan, via Smashwords (first published March 10th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Scratch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scratch

Charlene
I purchased this book because the author had a great promotional thread in the Meet the Author forum at Amazon. I was not disappointed. I found myself laughing out loud quite often and I really liked and cared about almost every character in the book. It is set in Glasgow so there are a few language differences. Also, there is a lot of swearing, which doesn't bother me as the language fits the characters perfectly. There are surprisingly few typos and punctuation errors which I find refreshing.
I
Ian
I first encountered Scratch a while back on the Authonomy website and was intrigued enough by the opening posted there to want to read the full book. The plot – 33-year-old Jim Cooper decides to reinvent his life – is classic lad lit territory and Gillan writes in an easy style sprinkled with wry observations and humour. Some characters feel rather stock, the overweight, possibly gay friend for example; but the ex-girlfriend’s retired psychoanalyst father is a great comic invention.

Like many a
JJ Marsh
I've read a lot of this genre and can confidently state this one is far, far better than anything else in its field.

With Scratch, Danny Gillan achieves what David Nicholls cannot and what Tony Parsons can only dream about.
This book reminds me of Jim Keeble or John O'Farrell - but it really is much better.
Scratch is honest-funny, not synthetic-funny.

This is funny, sharply observed comedy with a wry contemporary and Glaswegian slant on age-old problems.
It appeals to men and women alike (I tested i
Katherine
Not a bad read... I'd actually prefer to give this a 2.5 star rating. Scratch is at times amusing, diverting and entertaining; however, it gets rather bogged down in endless dialogues, and scenes that do little to advance a slow-moving and slightly thin plot. The whole thing could have done with some judicious editing and been made somewhat shorter.
Justin
I was lent this book through a glitch with lendle and I decided to read it anyway, I am glad I did because it was excellent. At 90% I was thinking it would be a 4 star book unless the ending was something special and it ended up being so much more than I expected. I highly recommend this one and will definitely read more of this author in the future.
Alan Jenks
Good idea, and well enough written, particularly the dialogue, but ulitmately I felt it fell a bit short of its premise. I found the characters a bit lacking in depth and in the end a bit annoying - would have liked a more serious approach to the issues, but then that's probably more my problem than any fault with the writing.
Searock
Feb 26, 2012 Searock marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Freebie in the kindle store.
Looks interesting.
Very good reviews.
Looks legit.
TC
Scratch is the story of Jim Cooper, as told by him. He works in a call centre, fobbing off customers and has been plodding along until one day a complaint letter appears from an ex's dad. This sparks something in Jim who decides it is time for a fresh start. He leaves his job, with nothing new lined up and sells his flat to clear his debts rendering himself homeless. Age 33 he finds himself living at home again, and working back in the same pub he was working in 12 years earlier - not exactly pr ...more
David Robinson
Scratch has a simple premise. Guy takes a retro career step, meets the love of his life again and if everything goes according to plan he'll live happily ever after. If you want to know whether it goes to plan, you'll have to read the book.

And while you're reading, you'll meet some wonderful characters: is he-or-is-he-not-gay, Terry. The Bruce Lee devotee psychologist, Simon ... or is it Joe? Abe and his foul-mouthed kitchen porter, Jed. Bone idle Kate, a perfect example of the Peter Principle.
Laura Besley
The tone in which this book is written is like your best friend sitting you down with a frothy coffee, or beer if you prefer, and telling you about his life. It's very light, warm, friendly and easy to read.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gillan has put a fair amount of himself into this book, and it works. There is a vast array of characters who are both lovable and believable. As Jim makes his various decisions, by his side are his best mate Terry, who may or may not be gay, Paula Fraser's father,
Donna Fasano
Hating his job and in debt up to his neck, Jim decides to start from scratch. He quits his job, sells his flat and moves back in with his parents. So begins Jim's quest to have another go at 'getting it right.'

I so enjoyed this story. It was entertaining and funny, thought-provoking and poignant. In this current economy, I can easily see this story unfolding in the real world.

The characters are so well fleshed, each with his/her own strengths and weaknesses, that I am left feeling as if I could
Susanne O'Leary
I just spent a week in a pub

The pub in question is 'The Basement', situated in Glasgow and is populated by some wonderful, funny, lovable characters. I felt at home there, I wanted Jim to pull me a pint and I wanted to have a girly chat with Paula Fraser. This is the magic of Danny Gillan's writing; he pulls you into a fictional world you don't want to leave. You laugh and cry with the hero, you cheer him on and truly feel for him when the chips are down. And sometimes you want to kick his butt.
Lynda Kelly
This one by the author had fewer mistakes than his last one, although it wasn't immune. Andi McDowell was spelt as an Andy and there were some apostrophe errors and hyphens added here and there where they weren't needed. As with many other authors he chose waived and pouring instead of waved and poring. This seems to be a common ebook mistake.
I still greatly enjoyed this book, though. I'd downloaded it months ago but after reading the previous one I kept putting this one off as I wasn't sure I w
Al
The “coming-of-age” story is a popular story type that involves someone young (usually early twenties or younger) who has an experience that helps them move from childhood towards the adult world. Scratch is a coming-of-age-again story. It’s a story about second chances, the choices we make, and their consequences.

If this sounds deep, it is. The themes explored in "Scratch" are serious and the struggles Jim has are the same kind of thing all but the most charmed and decisive of us have experienc
Mike
The protagonist is 33 years old so this is not a ‘coming of age’, but still something of a ‘growing up tale’. Nothing deeply revealing about life’s trials and tribulations but reflects the messy, inconsistent and illogical goings-on in complicated personal relationships. Recreational life in Scotland seems solely to revolve round the pub, if many recent north-of-the-border novels are representative, but this is nevertheless an entertaining read. The ‘hero’ is full of flaws and consequently seems ...more
Macpudel
I could easily see this as a movie starring Simon Pegg and Nick Frost. Many laugh-out-loud moments.
Paul
Quite well written to point that thought I wondered I was even reading the book [free download for my Kindle] I persevered. Unlike the TV shows hooking up with an old girlfriend who is now unhappily married does not lead to happiness. How can an unfaithful person be trusted. Written in the first person the narrator tries to do right by his own values [not sleeping the ex until she has told her husband it's over]. A nice in that although abandoned by the ex he enjoys the support of his parents an ...more
Alison
This is a tale of ordinary folk in an unremarkable setting, told in a conversational tone, yet it managed to completely captivate me.
I'm not entirely comfortable with the fact I found myself a little bit in love with Jim Cooper - a heavy smoker and drinker with a foul mouth, no self respect, poor personal hygiene and only one real friend - but that's the skill of Danny Gillan's writing.
A love story, a lesson in philosophy, a social commentary, a comedy: Scratch is all these things and more.
Linda
This is a wonderful story with actual real to life characters. Jim takes a leap of faith and starts his life over from scratch. You identify with him, and cheer him on. You laugh at him and with him; you become invested in his future. You actually fall in love with Jim yourself. His story is heart warming and heart wrenching. This story is well worth every minute you spend reading it. I highly recommend this book, it is worth every penny, no matter the cost!
Frances Plino
This is the second of Danny Gillan's novels I've read (the other being Will You Love Me Tomorrow in paperback) but this one is by far the funnier of the two. It's true to life, sad, whimsical and sort of romantic (but unlike any other romantic novel, although I can't say why without giving away one of the main humour strands). Do yourself a favour - buy this and settle down for a really satisfying read. It made me laugh out loud.
Aunty Janet
Jim decides to leave his call centre job, sell his flat, pay his debts and put his life back to scratch. He ends up moving back with his parents and going back to the bar job he first started at. Then the love of his life returns after an absence of 12 years.
As the book develops, he finally learns who he really is and what is important to him. A funny and thought provoking story about relationships and life.
Valerie
Good book! It's about a guy in his early 30s who realizes that he's miserable and starts over, even moving back in with his parents. Not a new premise, but well written, with interesting characters. I even liked the way it ended...no romantic bow on top (because, really, when does life ever give you the bow on top?)
Christel Grady
I enjoyed reading about love and relationshipsfrom a male perspective. This was a random free ebook find, and I adored it!
Theresa
Not really into British/Scottish books-can't stand fecking, shite, arse. Quite boring, felt like the longest book I ever read.
Abby
It was pretty good until the end. Lost me there
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Jacqueline Jurchenko
Jacqueline Jurchenko marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Pat Elvidge
Pat Elvidge marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
  • A Dignified Exit
  • Happy Birthday to Me Again (Birthday Trilogy, #2)
  • Boomerang
  • The Mancode: Exposed
  • The Living Image
  • The Good Luck Charm
  • Ros
  • ASYLUM
  • Spitting Devil (Jonathan Stride, #5.5)
  • Are You Sitting Down?
  • The Missing Link
  • Before the Midnight Bells (Once Upon A Romance, #1)
  • Unaccounted For
  • Plan on It
  • Don't Shoot! I'm Just The Avon Lady!
  • Always Remember to Tip Your Ninja: And Other Maxims for the Clinically Absurd