Start by marking “The Academie (Academie, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Academie (Academie, #1)

The Academie (Academie #1)

3.61  ·  Rating Details  ·  284 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
When Allie Thompson graduated, she thought she'd put high school behind her. But when a series of violent outbreaks by teens sends panic surging through the nation, high school is right where she finds herself again. Now remolded into what the government calls The Academie, what was once the public school system is now the permanent home of everyone 22 and under.

After a ye
Paperback, 2013 Edition, 290 pages
Published July 12th 2011 by Createspace

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsInsurgent by Veronica Roth
Best Dystopian Books for Teens
207th out of 415 books — 1,887 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsThe Maze Runner by James Dashner
YA Dystopia Novels
489th out of 1,044 books — 9,812 voters

More lists with this book...

Silverose
Dec 21, 2011 Silverose rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, dystopia
The idea behind this story is a good one - how do you control an increasingly uncontrollable population? When it comes to young adult violence in this book, mandatory boarding school with no vacations or breaks for everyone under the age of 22 is the answer. What starts out as an interesting concept is dealt with only superficially. Without giving spoilers of the ending, all I can say is the plot was a bit simplistic for my tastes and the hows and whys go unanswered, which is very dissatisfying ...more
Rachel "Rai29"
Nov 14, 2011 Rachel "Rai29" rated it it was amazing
When Allie Thompson graduated, she thought she'd put high school behind her. But when a series of violent outbreaks by teens sends panic surging through the nation, high school is right where Allie finds herself again. Now remolded into what the government calls The Academie, what was once the public school system is now the permanent home of everyone 22 and under.
After a year of college and a lifetime as a model student, Allie doesn't take well to The Academie's militaristic nature or its 16 fo
Ashlyn
I won this through First Reads and to be honest, I probably would have picked it up on my own. The story is interesting, especially as someone who extremely disliked high school every second I was there. The idea of returning makes me shudder.
Allie is a wonderful protagonist with an amazingly strong sense of right and wrong. She is strong and because of that a joy to read about. Her relationship with Bryan is refreshing and delightful. It is nice to read about a female teenage protagonist whose
Weirdology
Aug 28, 2011 Weirdology rated it it was ok
The Academie has an interesting plot. I've never read one like it before. Though I wish more time was spent on this plot. A large part of the story is spent in flashbacks of Allie's family and internet chats. I found this part boring.

I couldn't get into the main character. She's mean. She focuses too much on other females looks and makes judgments from it. The typical ugly = bad, pretty = good. I know this is how most people are in real life, but I don't want to read about it or be in a characte
Melissa
Mar 28, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(5 BIG ONES!!)

WOW...this was AMAZING!

Imagine your life...you go to school, finish high school and start college. Only to be told by the government that you now have to go back to school...high school...The Academie...an education system that holds their students until the age of 22; stuck in this facility, with weird military-like teachers and guards. So at 19, our main character Allie, is forced to go live and learn at The Academie for the next three years, after already experiencing her freed
Cindy
Aug 22, 2015 Cindy rated it liked it
Shelves: own, won-in-giveaway
Yeah, I'm mad right now.
That ending was ridiculous. Ridiculous!

Times are getting crazy. Everyone is scared for their lives so The Academie is created. Everyone under the age of 23 has to attend.
The Academie will provide them with an education, feed them, clothe them, and give them shelter.

Alathea (Allie) Thompson wants nothing to do with The Academie. She doesn't want to leave her family, or Bryan, behind. Her younger brother, Matt, is already at The Academie and she doesn't like the way he's ch
Pooja (On books!)
Feb 11, 2012 Pooja (On books!) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review originally posted at on books!

Picture this: You’re done with high school. But after a series of violent acts by teens throughout the country, the government decides that boarding school is now for everyone under twenty two. It’s not regular public school but has been restructured and called The Academie. It’s extremely strict; almost militaristic where everything is not what it seems. Can you imagine having to go back to high school, a place you thought you’d got past and were done with?

F
Heidi Loney
I just finished reading the Academie and I loved it! It was a really fast read for me - I read it on my Kobo, a birthday present to myself. The story was fast, engaging and gripping. I loved all of the characters, but especially Allie and Bryan's relationship. It was really sweet.

Other reviewers have mentioned typos, etc. and I didn't find many of those in my edition, so perhaps the Amy Joy has made some corrections since it was originally published.

My only complaint might be the abrupt ending,
C.N. James
Jul 26, 2011 C.N. James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Academie by Amy Joy, put simply, is a delightful read. The characters are unforgettable, and relationship between Allie and Bryan is some of the best stuff I’ve read in a while. However,unlike similar books, Allie isn’t some helpless girl, she is a strong character doing all she can to help expose the sinister secret of The Academie. Overall, I’d highly recommend this book!
Ellen
Dec 31, 2011 Ellen rated it liked it
Shelves: written-reviews
Allie Thompson is very relatable. I began reading the book thinking that it was going to be more so about her past experience of high school. Boy was I wrong. I found myself dragged into many dead ends. Dead ends meaning I thought I knew what was going on before the twister came. It was a fast paced novel with very loving and relatable characters. I cannot wait for the second book.
Amy
Dec 05, 2015 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-stars, 2013
Very good read. I could not imagine having to go back to high school again. Once was enough for me. The concept for this story was so original. I can't wait for the second book to come out and find out what happens next, especially with Allie and Bryan. I've read this book twice now and I enjoyed it even more the second time. It was so enjoyable. Would definitely recommend this book!
Kayla
Jan 08, 2012 Kayla rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Shelves: favorites
i loved it. i found it really hard to put down. The Academie is sooooo one of my all time favorites now. The only issue i found in the book was a few grammar errors which can easily be overlooked. The concept of the book is one i have never seen before and Amy Joy did a wonderful job writing it. Amazing book!
Bk2
Aug 05, 2012 Bk2 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I loved ths book. I usually dont take this long to read a book but i took my time with this one because i wanted to savor every last second of it. This is a book i will surely read again and again.
hannah
I had this whole diatribe planned about how this book is the perfect text with which to illustrate what is wrong with a) Kindle editions, b) publishing, and c) Americans' grasp of the English language.

Then I found out that this book was self-published, which made me go a little GAH! because I don't read self-published books. I make a point of it. So points to the author for making it seem like it was just a regular ol' book, cause I had no idea.

That said, I can still use it to tell you about my
Charlotte
Feb 20, 2012 Charlotte rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
This was a very interesting read. I really enjoyed the action and the concept. I did have a problem with some of the editing, though. To me, it seemed that Matt's character (Allie's brother) was underdeveloped in the beginning. Allie kept saying how they used to be close, but I never saw a concrete example of that close bond they had. There were spelling mistakes as well, and the formating of the dialogue on one page was slightly confusing; The italics were, I believe, Allie's thoughts, but sudd ...more
Dec 11, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing
This book was a wonderful read. I loved the concept from the beginning and the book did not dissapoint. The main character was very likeable (until she went through a random and not very clearly explained depression). I really felt a part of the story and could relate to their experiences even though I've never had anything of the kind.

SPOILER:

The ending was very "Matrix." It wasn't what I was expecting at all. I do have to agree with another reviewer who was outraged that Alathea lied to the ot
Prussian Blue
Aug 20, 2014 Prussian Blue rated it really liked it
Reminds me of the a matrix trilogy.
The storytelling has class, suspense is just above moderate but occasionally you could skip through a couple of pages because they don't exactly effect the story in any way.
Yet, I enjoyed reading the book immensely, probably because I'm a Matrix fan myself and love sci-fi related to mind control!
JJBMocha
Jan 17, 2012 JJBMocha rated it liked it
I am at the beginning of the book and I already hate it. There are so many mistakes that I don't even know how old she is. Every time it would be different number. She is mean... This wont be easy :(
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that I finished I can say that I liked the plot but it did remind me little bit of Matrix. The first half had mistakes and I couldn't figure out how old Allie is [18 or 19] because she had to stay there till she was 25 then it ch
Patricia Kaniasty
Jun 09, 2015 Patricia Kaniasty rated it really liked it
The "Matrix" meets the "Maze Runner". That's what this story reminded me of. Awesome and exciting. Never saw the ending coming. Did get a little confusing at times but not too bad. Overall, very good read.
Cindy Roa
Jan 03, 2016 Cindy Roa rated it really liked it
It was such a good way to start this year's reading challenge!!! I am really curious about how will these series continue, and Bryan's character, though. <3

High School didn't seem that scary until this book came to me!
Teresa Weaver
Jan 07, 2015 Teresa Weaver rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting read. The book is on a youth level but it challenges you to think about what might happen
Samantha
Jan 10, 2014 Samantha rated it liked it
The book was alright, I liked the concept of the story. My main problem with the book was how about 3/4 of the book was just about the flashbacks and it got a little obnoxious. I felt like all the good stuff was left till the very end of the story and then it was a little rushed, I wish the author would have spaced out all those good ideas throughout the story more.
Tiffany
This was a very interesting read. The plot idea felt fresh and new but I felt a lot of the characters were lacking. The main character was super judgmental and not all that likable. The bond that she kept saying she had with her brother was never expanded on so it felt superficial. I wish we would have had more with the secondary character because they were enjoyable. I'm interested to see where the story goes from here.
BL834
Jan 19, 2012 BL834 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I won this via Goodreads. On the surface, this is basically "The Matrix" as a socially-conscious teen novel. There were some rather large inconsistencies so I was unable to suspend my disbelief in several places, but in spite that I did enjoy the book. It was very readable: good writing and interesting characters.
Jo
Mar 20, 2012 Jo rated it really liked it
Dana
Mar 19, 2012 Dana rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Pretty good book. There were a few inconsistencies throughout but it wasn't that big of a deal. It was an interestin story. It was rather slow in the beginning and it ended rather abrubtly. It definitely could have been better but I did like the story.
Rachel
Jun 22, 2013 Rachel rated it liked it
More like 3.5 stars. The typos and grammar mistakes bothered me. The concept of the story was interesting; I definitely did not see the ending coming, so I was impressed with that fact alone. But everything just felt so rushed.
Virginia
Oct 07, 2012 Virginia rated it really liked it
Very good read. Some noticeable typos, but that's easily fixed. The idea of fearing teens and young adults reminds me somewhat of Unwind, but the story is completely different. Will be on the lookout for the next book.
Kylie Kaemke
Sep 15, 2015 Kylie Kaemke rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-published
What an interesting story and very well written. There where parts that I could've done without and things that I questioned, but overall it was fantastic! Can't wait to see what happens next!!
Ayush
Dec 27, 2013 Ayush rated it really liked it
A well-written book that I liked. A good plot and good writing but the end didn't seem all that inspiring to pick up book 2 - which isn't out yet.
  • Fast-Tracked (Fast-Track Trilogy, #1)
  • HELPER12
  • The Apocalypse Gene
  • Amongst the Ruins (The Chronicles of 2020, #1)
  • Famished
  • Sudden Independents (Independents #1)
  • Hollow
  • Prison Nation (Prison Nation, #1)
  • The Sphinx Project (The Chimaera Chronicles, #1)
  • The Twenty (Barronlands Trilogy, #1)
  • The Fire Wars (Fire Wars, #1)
  • Under the Stars
  • Larkstorm (The Sensitives, #1)
  • The Forever Contract
  • The Device
  • Tears
  • The Burn (The Burn, #1)
  • Rapture (Rapture Trilogy, #1)
5042079
Heralded “a sweet love story” by Publisher’s Weekly, Amy Joy’s debut novel, The Academie, became an Amazon bestseller within months of its release. A professor of writing since 2005, Amy Joy is also the co-founder of The Indie Writer’s Network, a social network and community blogging platform for writers. She has four degrees under her belt (two bachelor’s and two Masters) and while she doesn’t h ...more
More about Amy Joy...