Seven Wonders

Seven Wonders

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  588 ratings  ·  113 reviews
Tony Prosdocimi lives in the bustling Metropolis of San Ventura — a city gripped in fear, a city under siege by the hooded supervillain, The Cowl.

When Tony develops super-powers and acts to take down The Cowl, however, he finds that the local superhero team Seven Wonders aren’t as grateful as he assumed they’d be…
Published August 28th 2012 by Angry Robot (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Seven Wonders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Wonders

Watchmen by Alan MooreSoon I Will Be Invincible by Austin GrossmanThe Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay by Michael ChabonAmerican Gods by Neil GaimanHero by Perry Moore
Superhero Fiction
70th out of 417 books — 730 voters
Soon I Will Be Invincible by Austin GrossmanCassidy Jones and the Secret Formula by Elise StokesEx-Heroes by Peter ClinesCassidy Jones and Vulcan's Gift by Elise StokesConfessions of a D-List Supervillain by Jim Bernheimer
Super Hero Books [Not Graphic Novels]
39th out of 221 books — 285 voters

More lists with this book...

Dan Schwent
San Ventura is helpless against super villain The Cowl's reign of terror and even its resident superheroes, the Seven Wonders, are powerless to stop him. However, the Cowl's powers begin to wane as a retail wage slave named Tony Prosdocimi finds himself gaining more powers by the day. Will Tony take down the Cowl and join the Seven Wonders?

For months now, I've been looking for a good superhero novel. Now I've found it!

Seven Wonders is a lot deeper than my quick summary indicates. Nothing is bla...more
sj
[sigh] Another amazing cover from the folks over at Angry Robot Books.

I'm not going to waste time talking about how awesome I think the cover is, though (even if I do), I want to talk about the book itself. Or...try to, anyway.

"What? Try? What is she talking about? SJ NEVER HAS A PROBLEM TALKING ABOUT BOOKS!"

This time I do.

There are (sadly) few books that make me feel like this one did. That feeling you I get where you I want to grab random people on the street by their lapels while shouting "Ho...more
Chris Bauer
I was listening to a podcast last week which pointed out the lack of superhero sci-fi and described it as an unusual minority in the genre. So I made a point to pick up a couple of recent books which had that theme.

I've read Adam Christopher's "Empire State" before and was disappointed by the work but I figured I'd give his newest novel "Seven Wonders" a try.

I think it was the most frustrating book I've read all year. And that really bothered me. I've listened to interviews and read articles by...more
Tasha Robinson
The latest in a growing wave of superhero novels starts off with a young man who's suddenly developing superpowers, to his delight, especially when it means he can join the fight against The Cowl, the horrific, murderous supervillain who's terrorized his city for years. But once he gets involved, he finds out the Seven Wonders, the superheroes who supposedly protect his city, aren't what they appear to be, and they've been consciously tolerating the status quo for years.

This sounds like a great...more
Bane of Kings
Original Post: http://thefoundingfields.com/2012/07/...

“An awesome novel that is one of my favourites so far this year. For those who thought that Christopher’s Empire State would be the best of his novels, then think again - Seven Wonders is much better. Reads like a superhero comic book in novel form. Unmissable.” ~The Founding Fields

Empire State was one of the novels that I read towards the end of 2011, and the only reason why it wasn’t included in my Best of 2011 list was because it was well...more
Taryn
I have a not-so-secret love of comic books, graphic novels, manga–whatever you want to call it. In high school, going to the local bookstore (a Borders, RIP) was a treat, something saved for my post-birthday cash, and allowed me to amass a pretty solid collection of graphic novels, including Battle Royale, Peach Girl, and Inu-Yasha. Though I’ve been out of high school for eight years now, I still enjoy a good comic now and then: Watchmen, Fables, The Walking Dead.

I give this back story to illust...more
Andrez Bergen
A superb rollercoaster ride, 'Seven Wonders' is equal parts the superhero reality-check of 'Watchmen' and Frank Miller’s twisted observations of the world in his Dark Knight outings. These are superheroes with human failings and left-field concerns; like its villain The Cowl, 'Seven Wonders' has an intangible, depthless quality reminiscent of the best of Marvel and DC comics in the ’60s—and far, far more.
Mjhancock
Bob Milne
Growing up, I was an absolutely huge fan of comic books. Every Wednesday and every Friday we'd either grab our bikes or hop on the bus downtown to pick up the newest releases. Although I was primarily a Marvel man (The Amazing Spider-Man, The Uncanny X-Men, Excalibur, and The Incredible Hulk were my must-haves), I regularly hopped shelves into DC territory or some of the independents. At some point, however, I began to lose interest. Part of it was frustration with the expensive gimmicks of vari...more
Aneirys
Mar 09, 2014 Aneirys rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Seven Wonders by Adam Christopher wasn't a book that made me want to drop everything else for it. I found myself playing multiples rounds of minesweeper instead of finishing the novel. Halfway thru I started skipping pages and getting straight to the dialog which was almost 20% of the book.

In a way it felted like a parody of the now popular superheroes, for example:

● Hephaestus- was some kind of Thor like superhero with the hammer and everything.
● The Cowl- representing the playboy, millionair...more
Ranting Dragon

Are we heading into a new age of comic book popularity, much like the Golden Age of Comics? Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight Trilogy and Marvel’s Cinematic Universe seem to have dissolved the barrier between comic geeks and… well, everyone else. With films like Man of Steel, The Wolverine, Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World, and Kick-Ass 2, next year seems poised to continue that trend. Meanwhile, DC has rebooted all of its comics, and Marvel is doing a simil...more
Ben Babcock
I love the idea of superhero fiction. I don't actually read that much, mostly because it comes in the form of comics and graphic novels. I don't have anything against those. They're just not my typical jam.

The sudden trend towards writing about superheroes in the novel form is a boon to me, then, because the novel is my jam. (I'm a little pessimistic about the shelf life of the novel as a form in the digital age, but that's another story.) In particular, in this translation of superheroes from p...more
Paul
Fear the might of… The Cowl!

Tony Prosdocimi lives in the bustling metropolis of San Ventura - a city utterly gripped by fear, a city under siege by the hooded supervillain, The Cowl.

When Tony develops super-powers and acts to take down The Cowl, however, he finds that the local superhero team, the Seven Wonders, aren't anything like as grateful as he assumed they would be...

I am, and always will be, a comic book geek at heart. Before I developed a passion for reading novels I grew up with 2000A...more
Benito Corral
Adam Christopher exploded onto the scene with his debut novel Empire State, and he is poised to make even more noise with his sophomore effort, Seven Wonders. Seven Wonders is a big budget summer blockbuster action packed superhero movie, all of it brilliantly captured in novel form and with enough plot twists, secret identities and double crosses to satisfy even the most jaded of comic book aficionados.

Christopher sets his story in the "Shining City" of San Ventura, home to the last superhero t...more
Russell James
Want to know an author’s nightmare (or at least one of them)? Picking up a novel so good that you read it to the exclusion of finishing writing one of your own. That makes Seven Wonders my nightmare.

Well-written, well-paced, well-plotted. The story of Tony Prosdocimi and his interactions with Cowl, Blackbird and the Seven Wonders draws you in to a fascinating alternate reality where every city once had its own superheroes and supervillains. Sharp prose places you deep in the action and makes the...more
Andy
Cute story about an alternate reality California full of superheros. The plot took twists I didn't expect which is nice, but was still fairly shallow. I loved the attention to detail in super hero naming, which culminated with this quote:
Over two days, the remaining superheroic population of the Earth had heeded the call--by ship, teleport, magical portal, elemental transduction...the H-Man, Pangolin the Protector, Glass Tambourine, Omega-Mur, Hammer and Sickle, Jackdaw, the Infinite Wisdom, Do...more
Johann Thorsson
The book starts off with a bang, I can’t remember the last book that really got me like Seven Wonders. (Ok, I can. It was The Reapers are the Angels). We start in a bank being robbed by a supervillain and his henchmen, and we are introduced to the protagonist, Tony, who is wondering whether he should use his newly discovered superpowers to stop the robbery. The villain is dark and evil and the reader really gets a sense of the terror he holds over the residents of San Ventura in general, and the...more
Lee Stoneman
Seven Wonders started out with such high potential. As an avid comic reader I was keen to try out some long form fiction set in a superhero universe. The opening chapters started well and then it was downhill from there.
(view spoiler)...more
Ken
I've been reading a lot of superhero novels lately and each book handles this subgenre differently. With Wild Cards you have very political driven stories and with Matt Forbeck's Brave New World series, you get a lot of action-packed entertainment. Now with Seven Wonders you have a story that stays true to its comic book origin and one where you can feel just how passionate the author is to these stories.

With a name like Seven Wonders, you might mistakenly think that the book is about the exploi...more
Cat
Seven Wonders by Kiwi author Adam Christopher is a superhero novel set in the fictional city of San Ventura. The city, once plagued by supervillains, is now mostly peaceful thanks to the Seven Wonders, a team of superheroes. However, there is one remaining supervillain causing trouble in San Ventura: The Cowl. When Tony, an ordinary citizen of San Ventura, starts to manifest super powers, he decides to do what the Seven Wonders have been unable to do – defeat the Cowl once and for all.

Seven Wond...more
Russell Allison
More like 1.5 stars. One of the most disappointing wasted set-ups and concepts I've seen in a while. Describes a comic book universe that has tons of super heroes in it that have basically shut down all the super villains and retired, except for one Team the Seven Wonders (Justice League/Avengers) analog, and one single Super Villain (Batman/Superman) analog. The plot hints at some hidden reveal about why the Seven Wonders have tolerated the last super villain, but ends up ending in a huge battl...more
Carl
You know me... I just love superheroes, I even look like one with my mighty square jaw and barrell chest!
I have read quite a few superhero novels and this is up there with the best of em.
Starts off at a fair old pace and keeps running. Tony a normal bloke wakes up with superpowers and set his sights on the devious master criminal The Cowl.
During a bank heist by the Cowl and his cohorts , Tony uses his powers to stop the robbery and go toe to toe with the super powered criminal.
He has the residen...more
Arie
Seven Wonders is a mix of fantastic and frustrating. The first half of this book, I would have rated as a five star book. It is delightfully written and full of wonder as the reader is immersed in San Ventura and its world of heroes and villains. It begins as a bit of a "who done it" and continues down a somewhat noir vein and is a quite fun to read, and kept me on my toes as twists appeared, at one point when I even dropped my book in surprise.

Then, after a major event at the halfway point, al...more
Thor Aegir
I'm unsure on how to rate this book.

From a certain point of view, this book has nice twists compared to the common super hero novel. You keep getting surprised all along reading it.

There are seeds for a lot of nice characters, from super-vilains to sidekicks to super-heroes, and to PD detectives.

BUT... the seeds never grow. The characters' psychologies are skimmed where it should be examined in details. All twists comes from nowhere. It is a descent to hell... without the descent. In half a page...more
Kate Sherrod
I was a beta-reader for this book, and while as a rule superhero fiction isn't my thing, if all superhero fiction were like this, it would WAY be my thing. Can't wait to see the "proper" version.

And yes, I do make some exceptionally fine pizza.
Josh Meadows
A confused novel.
Peyotitlan
7 Wonders is an interesting book with great moments, but I think it ends up tripping itself over.

I enjoy the author's books and I will be eternally grateful as he was my gateway to Angry Robot and endless hours of fun, thrills and joy. However, I think that my main gripe with 7 Wonders is that I felt it was actually 3 books that got all shoved into one single tome/adventure.

So we are introduced to San Ventura, a city with Superheroes and a Super Villain. On the first pages we are introduced to a...more
Chay
I was so excited when I found out about this book! I am a huge fan of heroics and superhero culture.

Tony is an average guy who works at a big chain electronics store..until one day he begins to develop super powers. In a very rushed and contrived way, Tony decided to go after The Cowl, a super villain who has terrorized San Ventura for far too long. The Cowl is a more or less a tip of the hat to an Batman-esque heroes. Also thrown into the mix is San Ventura's very own Avengers-like superhero te...more
Adam
I thought this sounded like an interesting take on the superhero genre. Here we have an everyman, gaining powers and dealing with a world that is -almost- out of villains. Great potential! And at times, the story really does get there. The villains are interesting, the heroes obviously have something shady going on, and the story subverts standard templates fairly well.

But then points of view will shift. Again and again. And time too. Keeping track is not so bad, heck, I loved Malazan! But each...more
Armand
Mar 22, 2013 Armand rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: comic book fans
The bottom line: Fun and punchy writing gets together with superheroes and a dynamic (if not somewhat stretchy) plot to produce some spectacular (and I don't use the word loosely) scenarios, but unfortunately lacking depth in certain key areas.

If this story were a drink it was be a glowing, lime green liquid handed to you in a glass test tube that- after being quaffed- would give you the power to fly faster than a speeding bullet.

If this book were an animal, it would be a chimera with ADD, one t...more
Character inconsistency 5 27 Mar 30, 2013 06:16PM
  • A Once Crowded Sky
  • Devil's Cape
  • Costume Not Included
  • The Corpse-Rat King
  • The Wrong Goodbye (The Collector, #2)
  • Prepare to Die!
  • The Dead of Winter  (Cora Oglesby #1)
  • The Great Game (The Bookman Histories, #3)
  • Superfolks
  • Carpathia
  • iD (The Machine Dynasty, #2)
  • Suited (The Veiled Worlds, #2)
  • Sharps
  • Osiris (The Osiris Project, #1)
  • Wearing the Cape: A Superhero Story (Wearing the Cape #1)
  • Masked
  • Fortress Frontier (Shadow Ops, #2)
  • Chimera (The Subterrene War, #3)
Adam Christopher was born in Auckland, New Zealand. In 2006, he moved to the sunny North West of England, where he lives in domestic bliss with wife and cat in a house next to a canal. Adam’s short fiction has appeared in Pantechnicon, Hub, and Dark Fiction Magazine. Adam's debut novel, Empire State, is due from Angry Robot in January 2012.

When not writing Adam can be found drinking tea and obsess...more
More about Adam Christopher...
Empire State (Empire State, #1) The Burning Dark (Spider Wars #1) The Age Atomic (Empire State, #2) Hang Wire Cold War

“Over two days, the remaining superheroic population of the Earth had heeded the call--by ship, teleport, magical portal, elemental transduction...the H-Man, Pangolin the Protector, Glass Tambourine, Omega-Mur, Hammer and Sickle, Jackdaw, the Infinite Wisdom, Doctor Mandragora, Czar and Tzar and Star, Kalamari Karl, Lightening Dancer, Doctor Chlorophyll, Jack Viking, Monomaniac, the Gin Fairy, the Holy Ghanta, the Bandolier, the Nuclear Atom, the Mysterious Flame, Moonstalker, Cataclysm and Inferno, the Skyguard II, Your Imaginary Pal, Dark Storm, the Hate Witch, Psychofire, Rabid, Riot, Fox and Hound, Hydrolad, Captain Fuji, Captain Cape Town, Captain Australia, Captain...Jeannie lost count, one uniform and one costume blurring into another.” 0 likes
“Seven Wonders, unite!"
"Chicago Nightguard, TEN-HUT!"
"Power ready and waiting!"
"Let the Circle of Magi be one!"
"Logarth of the Dereni affirms his readiness."
"United International standing by."
"Lady Liberty and the Presidents standing by."
"Connectormatic standing by.”