Start by marking “Erasmus and the Age of Reformation with a Selection from the Letters” as Want to Read:
Erasmus and the Age of Reformation with a Selection from the Letters

Erasmus and the Age of Reformation with a Selection from the Letters

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Kessinger Publishing is the place to find hundreds of thousands of rare and hard-to-find books with something of interest for everyone
Published March 1st 2007 by Kessinger Publishing (first published 1924)

Be the first to ask a question about Erasmus and the Age of Reformation with a Selection from the Letters

Timothy
I believe the original title was simply Erasmus of Rotterdam, which gives a better sense of the contents. This is a straightforward biography without much historical context. To me that's a shame; I would have loved to have a book that functioned as a sequel to The Autumn of the Middle Ages. I don't feel like this measures up to Huizinga's other well-known work, but it's a satisfying and somewhat informative read on its own merits.

I appreciated the inclusion of selected letters by Erasmus. He's
Reinier
It describes Erasmus as a christian man in a changing world. Interesting to read, since the popular philosophy does not hightlight this part of his life. He cannot be compared with the humanist we actually know in the western world. Erasmus had still a very close connection with the church and his people, but he tried to find a way in his changing thoughts about faith and religion. A must read for those who want to bring religion across the borders of dogmatic systems.
Jimmy
I remember as a young boy reading about Erasmus in a high school history class. It was the word humanist that impressed me so much about him. It seemed to me to be something worthy of being. As I grew older, I expanded that to consider myself a "universalist." I wanted to include all other life and then even non-living things. Reading about Erasmus it was not quite the same thing as what I believe, but it certainly was a start to a better world.
Avery
This book gets a bad rap as being boring, but I think Huizinga does well to show us how Erasmus presaged the Reformation and gives us a nice social history of the age he lived in. Get it from Gutenberg.
Brian
Erasmus' life is a lesson in how God can use an unlikely (unlikeable) person to further the Kingdom.
Persephone Abbott
Sufficient but where's more? I need more More, Luther, and the whole cast...
Claude Graves
Claude Graves marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2015
Charles
Charles marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Drfrog
Drfrog marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Boney Gumbo
Boney Gumbo marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Jackson Cyril
Jackson Cyril marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Marc
Marc marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Ray Johns
Ray Johns marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Greg
Greg marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Mirta Pickens
Mirta Pickens marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Brian Robbins
Brian Robbins marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Edie Overduin
Edie Overduin marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
E L
E L marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Hany Kalash
Hany Kalash marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Wandering Scholars of the Middle Ages
  • The Abacus and the Cross: The Story of the Pope Who Brought the Light of Science to the Dark Ages
  • The Birth of Purgatory
  • Thomas Cranmer
  • The Age of Reform, 1250-1550: An Intellectual and Religious History of Late Medieval and Reformation Europe
  • The Merchant of Prato: Daily Life in a Medieval Italian City
  • Affirming the Apostles' Creed
  • With Head and Heart: The Autobiography of Howard Thurman
  • The Christian Tradition 4: Reformation of Church & Dogma 1300-1700
  • Models of the Church
  • The Voices of Morebath: Reformation and Rebellion in an English Village
  • Levant: Splendour and Catastrophe on the Mediterranean
  • Cathedral, Forge, and Waterwheel: Technology and Invention in the Middle Ages
  • Aristotle's Children: How Christians, Muslims, and Jews Rediscovered Ancient Wisdom and Illuminated the Middle Ages
  • The Reformation (The Penguin History of the Church, #3)
  • Through the Eye of a Needle: Wealth, the Fall of Rome & the Making of Christianity in the West, 350-550 AD
  • Medieval People
  • Memoirs of an Ordinary Pastor: The Life and Reflections of Tom Carson
Johan Huizinga was a Dutch historian and one of the founders of modern cultural history.
More about Johan Huizinga...
The Waning of the Middle Ages Homo Ludens: A Study of the Play-Element in Culture In the shadow of tomorrow Men and Ideas: History, the Middle Ages, the Renaissance Nederland in de zeventiende eeuw

“Minden hőstett forrása a háború, a legbalgább dolog a világon.” 1 likes
“A bölcsesség úgy áramlik a balgasághoz, mint az ész az érzelmekhez. S a világban sokkal több az érzelem, mint az ész. Ami az életet mozgásban tartja, az élet forrása a balgaság. Mert mi egyéb a szerelem? Miért házasodik az ember, ha nem balgaságból, mely soha nem ismer akadályt? Minden élvezet, minden szórakozás csak a balgaság fűszere.” 1 likes