Start by marking “The Magic Lotus Lantern and Other Tales from the Han Chinese” as Want to Read:
The Magic Lotus Lantern and Other Tales from the Han Chinese

The Magic Lotus Lantern and Other Tales from the Han Chinese (World Folklore Series)

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  8 Ratings  ·  3 Reviews

Focusing specifically on the stories of the Han Chinese (the largest ethnic group in China, numbering over a billion people), this collection presents more than 50 tales, both well known and obscure—from Monkeys Fishing the Moon and The Butterfly Lovers to Painted Skin and Dragon Princess. These are stories that will enchant listeners of all ages, while providing a glimpse

Published (first published May 30th 2006)

Be the first to ask a question about The Magic Lotus Lantern and Other Tales from the Han Chinese

Molly Elizabeth-Catherine
Feb 01, 2012 Molly Elizabeth-Catherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
Recommended to Molly Elizabeth-Catherine by: Haiwang Yuan
This book was interesting and completely fascinating. Chinese culture is so amazing to learn about; I loved the stories and have often used the recipes. I have met the author (in fact, he was my Chinese teacher when I was learning the language last summer) and Mr. Yuan is a wonderful person. This book speaks from the heart of China that people today oftentimes ignore.
Christine
Mar 01, 2013 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really wonderful collection of myths, legends, and various other cultural information concerning China. I happened upon it at the library in the children's collection and am so glad I picked it up. Wonderful descriptions and explanations with he content chosen by the author. A great place to begin an inquiry into traditional China.
Annette Abbott
Jul 23, 2013 Annette Abbott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: asia, aam, china
Not just stories/legends/tales, but information about history, recipes, language, festivals, religion, customs, etc.

I picked it up at the library while researching a tour for the museum and liked it so much I purchased it for future reference.
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Daniel Stephens
Daniel Stephens marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Jordi
Jordi marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Freeny
Freeny marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Patty R.
Patty R. marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Rob Weir
Rob Weir marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Sarah Swernofsky
Sarah Swernofsky marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Samantha Yo
Samantha Yo rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2015
Joolie Boolie
Joolie Boolie rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2013
book
book added it
Aug 19, 2013
Jeanette
Jeanette marked it as to-read
May 22, 2012
Nicole Key
Nicole Key marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2012
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2012
Cindy
Cindy rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2015
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2011
Jim Cunliffe
Jim Cunliffe rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2008

World Folklore Series (1 - 10 of 37 books)
  • Brazilian Folktales (World Folklore Series)
  • The Celtic Breeze: Stories of the Otherworld from Scotland, Ireland and Wales (World Folklore)
  • The Corn Woman: Stories and Legends of the Hispanic Southwest (World Folklore Series)
  • The Eagle on the Cactus: Traditional Stories from Mexico
  • The Enchanted Wood and Other Tales from Finland
  • English Folktales
  • Far North Tales: Stories from the Peoples of the Arctic Circle
  • A Fire in My Heart: Kurdish Tales (World Folklore Series)
  • The Flower of Paradise and Other Armenian Tales (World Folklore Series)
  • The Flying Dutchman and Other Folktales from the Netherlands (World Folklore Series)