Start by marking “The Quakers of New Garden” as Want to Read:
The Quakers of New Garden

The Quakers of New Garden (Romancing America)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  24 reviews
The Quakers of New Garden, a Four-in-one collection by Jennifer Hudson Taylor, Ann E. Schrock, Claire Sanders & Susette Williams.
I very much enjoyed these three stories. Each was different, but all were compelling in their own way.
Published April 1st 2012 by Barbour Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Quakers of New Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Quakers of New Garden

Barbara Ann
It took me a little while to get accustomed to "thee" and "thy" but it eventually became a nice rhythm. Each story had a different tilt them and I enjoyed their differences and their similarities.

I thank NetGalley for the opportunity to read ahead of my friends.
Title: THE QUAKERS OF NEW GARDEN
Authors: Claire Sanders, Ann E. Schrock, Jennifer Hudson Taylor and Susette William6s
Publisher: Barbour Books
April 2012
ISBN: 978-1-61626-643-1
Genre: Inspirational/Quaker romance/mixed time periods

Love--plain and simple--finds a home in Indiana

New Garden’s Hope by Jennifer Hudson Taylor—Josiah Wall has postponed his wedding to Ruth Payne one too many times. Now, Ruth has called off their engagement and Josiah is crushed, especially when he learns she’s blabbing it
Rhonda
quakers of new garden by Claire Sanders, Ann E. Schrock, Jennifer Hudson Taylor, Susette Williams
4 Stars Hope by Jennifer Hudson Taylor In the first story Ruth Payne fiance Josiah want to postpone their wedding for the second time. Ruth is hurt that Josiah does not want to marry her. Josiah is a Federalist and wants to put off the wedding till the election. Ruth thinks that Josiah really doesn't love her she is just a habit. Josiah can't believe Ruth won't marry him. Ruth's father cousin comes
Tammy
From The Publisher

New Garden’s Hope by Jennifer Hudson Taylor
After Josiah Wall postpones their wedding a second time, Ruth Payne refuses to reset their wedding date. But everything Josiah has worked for means nothing without Ruth. He sets out to win her back, but it seems that each attempt is thwarted by disaster. Will their love and faith overcome their differences, or could this be the end he’s always feared?

New Garden’s Crossroads by Ann E. Schrock
Deborah Wall is thrilled to work for the Coff
Robin
The Quakers of New Garden
Claire Sanders, Ann E. Schrock, Jennifer Hudson Taylor, Susette Williams

Description: Four Quakers of New Garden face trials of the heart. When Josiah Wall postpones his marriage to Ruth Payne for a second time, Ruth is reluctant to give him another chance at love. Deborah Wall is thrilled to work at a hub of the Underground Railroad, until wounded Nathaniel Fox—a bounty hunter for runaway slaves—is left to her care. Leah Wall struggles to turn a marriage of convenience i
Abbie
I have come to really like the Romancing America series. Normally I am not a big fan of short stories but I love how these books are written and flow together and this book is no exception. This book is about Quakers. The first story takes place in the early 1800’s and the next three stories slowly bring us to present day with the final story.

What I liked: Even though the 4 stories are short they where well written. I liked all the stories a lot. The characters where likeable and the stories in
Faye
We've read about the Amish, now here come the Quakers!

This collection follows the Wall family through the generations, as their Quaker faith is challenged and the time marches swiftly by.

Not that the other stories weren't good as well, but my favorite was the first one in the collection. Maybe it's my fascination with politics, or just that I liked the colonial time period, or maybe I liked the idea of a young man trying desperately to win back his true love after postponing their wedding one t
Iola
The stories cover four generations of Quaker women from New Garden, Indiana, and provided interesting insight into their beliefs, as each novella shows how the Society of Friends react to the situations of the day. I don’t know much about the Quakers beyond their pacifism and opposition to slavery, and these stories brought out both these beliefs well, and gave me a better understanding of the beliefs of this group.

In New Garden’s Hope by Jennifer Hudson Taylor, Josiah Wall and Ruth Payne are en
Dani Moore
The First, New Garden's Hope by Jennifer Hudson Taylor, is the story of Ruth and Josiah, an engaged couple and the trials, tribulations, heartache that come from how we all can misunderstand the actions of another. Without asking for an explanation (or not being w
Valerie Comer
Welcome to the early days of Quakers in Indiana! One of the things I enjoyed about this 4-in-1 collection of novellas was how this religious group fit into the politics of their times. I’m not sure this was an intentional theme running through but, to me, it helped set the stage.

‘Plain’ language consists of a certain rhythm of speaking. Quakers use a lot of thees and thous, and refer to each other as Friend Joseph or whatever. At times I found the dialect a bit overwhelming. I think it’s hard to
Oh, these were interesting stories...mercy how they jumped through the history quickly. One does have to remember that this is historical fiction, meaning fact-based, but it's still a FICTIONAL STORY.

The first one was romantic, with a touch of Forrest Gump for the "famous" relatives meet.
Second story took us to the next generation...romance found a bit differently. Story started to drag a bit in this one. Seems more religious than the last one.
Third story is a time jump again and a cousin of som
Cornelia
These three historical and one modern inspirational romances involve several generations of a Quaker family, the Walls, in Indiana. Four Quaker women face trails of faith and the heart. Will they withstand the test of love?

In New Garden's Hope set in the early 1800's, will the love and faith of this this Quaker couple prove strong enough to overcome their differences.
New Garden's Crossroads take place during the days of the Undergrourd railroad, the Quakers ran. Will the hero, Nathaniel give up
Kate
This was a 4-novellas-in-1-book format. I think that worked in some ways, but not in others. I would have liked to have had more time to get to know some of the characters, but enjoyed that there were 4 different time frames and perspectives of the Quakers of New Garden. I had a hard time with the 2nd of the 4 novellas for some reason that I can't quite put my finger on, so I avoided reading the book for several days and, to be honest, I almost didn't finish it. I'm glad I persevered, though. Th ...more
Elizabeth
An excellent read. Personally I'm not an overly religious person and although it is a Christian novel, I didn't feel like someone was trying to convert me like other religious works often do. What I loved from these four stories were the personal struggles involved in falling in love. Like the Quaker way the stories were simple and honest, and very realistic. I thoroughly enjoyed them and recommend this book. Thanks to Goodreads Giveaways and the authors for sending it to me.
Esther Somorai
*Four-In-One Collection* Each story is well written and a pleasure to read. I really enjoy these inspiring stories of faith, hope, love, and trusting God in all circumstances of life. Very powerful, meaningful stories, each one. I'm so glad I won this book. Thank you Goodreads, first-reads, Barbour and the very talented authors.
Karin
One of the most benign books I have ever read. Had I not committed to an acquaintance that I would read it, I would never have finished it. It's sappy, not very informative, and extremely boring. I would definitely not recommend it to anyone.
Tash
3.5
Reviewed for Booked Up . Stay tuned for the review to be posted on Booked Up's goodreads account and the Blog
Lisa
Play across generations of a family of Quakers, from the beginnings of American culture through the slave bounty hunters, my favorite, to present day, these four stories will entertain and delight you.
Lori
The stories were okay. Disappointed that a couple of the authors obviously didnt know much about Quaker theology besides plain speech and dress.
Andrea Stoeckel
This 4story compelation was pretty good. I read it on a vacation and the historical connections in the 4stories were very good
Kathely
liked this book. the last story was a tad melodramatic, but overall still good.
Verna Humphrey
I would have liked to review this book but my iPad would not cooperate
Mark Howard
Like the first 3 stories. Did not care for the last one.
Debbie West
A really interesting book well worth the read
Tabitha Vinson
Tabitha Vinson marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Deliza RdV
Deliza RdV marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2015
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
Cindy Nipper
Cindy Nipper marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Cynthia
Cynthia marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Highland Crossings (Romancing America)
  • The Midwife's Legacy
  • Central Park Rendezvous
  • The Key on the Quilt (The Quilt Chronicles #1)
  • Rainbow's End
  • A Groom for Greta (Amish Brides of Celery Fields, #3)
  • Strong and Stubborn (Husbands for Hire, #3)
  • A Patchwork Christmas: Three Christmas Romances with Bonus Handcraft Patterns and Cookie Recipes
  • A Hope Springs Christmas (Brides of Amish Country, #7)
  • The Bartered Bride Collection
  • To Love and to Cherish (The Bliss Creek Amish #1)
  • Something New (Plains City Bridesmaids #2)
  • Cherry Blossom Capers
  • Saving Gideon (Clover Ridge, #1)
  • Leah's Choice (Hannah's Daughters, #4)
  • Tomorrow's Sun (Lost Sanctuary #1)
  • Beyond Hope's Valley (The Big Sky Series, #3)
  • Lady Anne's Quest (Prairie Dreams, #2)
I am an author of inspirational romance and Christian fiction. Check out my website:
www.clairesandersbooks.com
More about Claire Sanders...

Romancing America (1 - 10 of 90 books)
  • Rainbow's End
  • Aloha Brides
  • Red Rock Weddings
  • Christmas at Barncastle Inn
  • A Riverwalk Christmas: Four Couples Find Love in Romantic San Antonio
  • Seaside Romance
  • Georgia Brides
  • Maple Notch Brides
  • Ohio Brides (Romancing America)
  • Cornhusker Dreams (Romancing America)
The Captive Bird Fresh Start Three Gifts From the Ashes Christmas Blessings