Start by marking “Mystery in the Minster (Matthew Bartholomew, #17)” as Want to Read:
Mystery in the Minster (Matthew Bartholomew, #17)

Mystery in the Minster (Matthew Bartholomew #17)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  227 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
In 1358 the fledging college of Michaelhouse in Cambridge is in need of extra funds. A legacy from the Archbishop of York of a parish close to that city promises a welcome source of income. However, there has been another claim to its ownership and it seems the only way to settle the dispute is for a deputation from Michaelhouse to travel north.

Matthew Bartholomew is among
Published (first published August 11th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Mystery in the Minster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mystery in the Minster

Jayna
Feb 11, 2012 Jayna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was actually really disappointed by this book. I love Susanna Gregory and the Matthew Bartholomew mysteries are my favorite series ever. Yet this book had almost none of the humor that the previous books had and the whole situation between him and Matilda has been drawn out so long that I almost feel as though they're too old now to have any constructive sort of relationship. I mean, there have been 17 books and he wasn't a spring chicken at the beginning. I just don't care anymore, it's becom ...more
Mary
Helen Heaton
As much as I loved the setting of the novel (as a former York resident) I was disappointed by how slow moving the story was.

The main protagonist (Matthew) is a quick witted and intelligent medicine man who is called to be part of a team of scholars who need to sort out the ownership of a church in York which has been bequeathed to their Cambridge college by a former archbishop of York, now deceased. However, the main overseers of the Will have been dying at an alarming rate and, as well as tryi
Shirley Schwartz
Wow! A wild ride through 14 century York. This book is indeed a breathtaking ride. The setting for this the seventeenth book in the Matthew Bartholomew series is York in the mid 1300's. Matthew, his larger than life friend Michael, Headmaster Langellee and a lawyer from Michaelhouse, (their house of learning in Cambridge). Ms. Gregory is a wonderful author and her medieval series never disappoint. The pace in this book is breathtaking as Matt and his friends are trying to find evidence to claim ...more
Wendy
Jul 29, 2015 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've always enjoyed Susanna Gregory's Matthew Bartholomew series. This book is number 17. I love the description of life in 14th century England. This time, Matthew is forced to go to York with a small group from Michaelhouse to dispute a claim for a parish church that would help improve its income. Of course, murder and intrigue seems to follow the good doctor. Maybe it's the change of scenery from Cambridge, but I found this book so much more enjoyable to read.
Brenda Mengeling
Apr 30, 2013 Brenda Mengeling rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, fiction, 49
Mystery in the Minster is another excellent entry in the Matthew Bartholomew series by Susanna Gregory. Master Langelee takes Bartholomew, Brother Michael, and law professor Radeford to York, his old stomping ground, York, to contest with the new powers that be that a small parish was left to Michaelhouse by the dead archbishop.

With the setting in York and not in Cambridge, this is not a typical entry in the series. The above listed characters are the only recurring ones present in this volume.
Lynne Elsisy
Apr 09, 2015 Lynne Elsisy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh yes, I liked this. Enjoyment enhanced by reading it while we were in York. I shall definitely read this series.
Philip Cook
Jan 01, 2016 Philip Cook rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Still tickled to bits by the characters.
Tonya Mathis
Apr 12, 2014 Tonya Mathis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite in the series.
Inez
Jan 06, 2012 Inez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series. There are always new characters for a twist, but the main characters remain the same. It's like visiting with some old friends and listening while they tell you about their latest adventure. This time, Matthew and Michael get away from Cambridge. Matt hopes for some peace and quiet, but finds treachery and murder around every corner.
Jayw
Set in 1358. The starving scholars of Michealhouse, Camvbridge travel to York to protect an inheritance from the Archbishop that the local vicars are trying to snatch. They find themselves in the middle of political intrigue, a major flood and the targets of assassins.
Steve James
Aug 30, 2012 Steve James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent mystery involving Matthew Bartholomew. Susanna takes out of Cambridge and takes us to York providing historic information on travelling in the era.
She again keeps the solution closed right up to the end even though all the information is presented.
Veronica
A well written novel with great characters and an interesting main plot. However, with sub plots and the seemingly endless dead men who keep appearing, the novel was too long. It seemed to take forever to get to the conclusion.
Dilys
Jun 25, 2013 Dilys rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
An enjoyable tale of betrayal & intrigue in medieval York. Plenty of bodies & suspects which keeps the reader guessing who done it to the end, which is what a good crime novel needs. Will read more books by this author.
Bunnyk
Mar 02, 2013 Bunnyk rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this thoroughly - borrowed it from the library, remembered I don't HAVE to own all the books I read! :)

(although I still want a copy of this at some point as I collect her...)
Linda
Jan 14, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing
I guess I am biased - Susanna Gregory would have to be one of my favourite authors. I have loved every Matthew Bartholomew book and this book was, as always, fantastic.
Gevera Bert
I couldn't get into this book. Something about the writing style just left me snoozing. My mom didn't like it either. No stars because I didn't finish it.
Mary
Nov 21, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Matt and Michael got themselves in it this time! Love ready these period mystery's by Susanna Gregory!
Margareth8537
Quite enjoy this series but not as much as some of the other mediaeval series about
Vince
Jun 20, 2013 Vince rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read but not as good as some of the others in this series.
Judith
York reading book for the whole city.
Haberlea
Big City Read, York 2012
JonesPeep
JonesPeep marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Helen McGowan
Helen McGowan marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2016
Debra Parnell
Debra Parnell is currently reading it
Apr 11, 2016
Diane Tatt
Diane Tatt rated it it was amazing
Apr 08, 2016
Donald Hanley
Donald Hanley rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2016
Abraham Reed
Abraham Reed marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Charlotte Graham
Charlotte Graham rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2016
  • Murder in the Holy City (Sir Geoffrey Mappestone, #1)
  • A Plague of Heretics (Crowner John Mystery #14)
  • The Sword of Shame (The Medieval Murderers, #2)
  • The Song of a Dark Angel (Hugh Corbett, #8)
  • Season of the Raven (Servant of the Crown Mystery, #1)
  • Unhallowed Ground (Hugh de Singleton, Surgeon Chronicles #4)
  • Remedy For Treason (Chronicles Of Issac Of Girona, #1)
  • The Rough Collier (Gilbert Cunningham, #5)
  • The Prince of Darkness (Hugh Corbett, #5)
  • The Council of the Cursed (Sister Fidelma, #19)
Susanna Gregory is the pseudonym of Elizabeth Cruwys, a Cambridge academic who was previously a coroner's officer. She writes detective fiction, and is noted for her series of mediaeval mysteries featuring Matthew Bartholomew, a teacher of medicine and investigator of murders in 14th-century Cambridge.

AKA Simon Beaufort

She writes detective fiction, and is noted for her series of mediaeval mysterie
More about Susanna Gregory...

Matthew Bartholomew (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • A Plague on Both Your Houses (Matthew Bartholomew, #1)
  • An Unholy Alliance (Matthew Bartholomew, #2)
  • A Bone of Contention (Matthew Bartholomew, #3)
  • A Deadly Brew (Matthew Bartholomew, #4)
  • A Wicked Deed (Matthew Bartholomew, #5)
  • A Masterly Murder (Matthew Bartholomew, #6)
  • An Order for Death (Matthew Bartholomew, #7)
  • A Summer of Discontent (Matthew Bartholomew, #8)
  • A Killer in Winter (Matthew Bartholomew, #9)
  • The Hand of Justice (Matthew Bartholomew, #10)