Mystery in the Minster (Matthew Bartholomew, #17)

Mystery in the Minster (Matthew Bartholomew #17)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  18 reviews
In 1358 the fledging college of Michaelhouse in Cambridge is in need of extra funds. A legacy from the Archbishop of York of a parish close to that city promises a welcome source of income. However, there has been another claim to its ownership and it seems the only way to settle the dispute is for a deputation from Michaelhouse to travel north.

Matthew Bartholomew is among...more
Published (first published August 11th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Mystery in the Minster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mystery in the Minster

Jayna
I was actually really disappointed by this book. I love Susanna Gregory and the Matthew Bartholomew mysteries are my favorite series ever. Yet this book had almost none of the humor that the previous books had and the whole situation between him and Matilda has been drawn out so long that I almost feel as though they're too old now to have any constructive sort of relationship. I mean, there have been 17 books and he wasn't a spring chicken at the beginning. I just don't care anymore, it's becom...more
Mary
Shirley Schwartz
Wow! A wild ride through 14 century York. This book is indeed a breathtaking ride. The setting for this the seventeenth book in the Matthew Bartholomew series is York in the mid 1300's. Matthew, his larger than life friend Michael, Headmaster Langellee and a lawyer from Michaelhouse, (their house of learning in Cambridge). Ms. Gregory is a wonderful author and her medieval series never disappoint. The pace in this book is breathtaking as Matt and his friends are trying to find evidence to claim...more
Brenda Mengeling
Mystery in the Minster is another excellent entry in the Matthew Bartholomew series by Susanna Gregory. Master Langelee takes Bartholomew, Brother Michael, and law professor Radeford to York, his old stomping ground, York, to contest with the new powers that be that a small parish was left to Michaelhouse by the dead archbishop.

With the setting in York and not in Cambridge, this is not a typical entry in the series. The above listed characters are the only recurring ones present in this volume....more
Tonya Mathis
One of my favorite in the series.
Inez
I love this series. There are always new characters for a twist, but the main characters remain the same. It's like visiting with some old friends and listening while they tell you about their latest adventure. This time, Matthew and Michael get away from Cambridge. Matt hopes for some peace and quiet, but finds treachery and murder around every corner.
Jayw
Set in 1358. The starving scholars of Michealhouse, Camvbridge travel to York to protect an inheritance from the Archbishop that the local vicars are trying to snatch. They find themselves in the middle of political intrigue, a major flood and the targets of assassins.
Steve James
Another excellent mystery involving Matthew Bartholomew. Susanna takes out of Cambridge and takes us to York providing historic information on travelling in the era.
She again keeps the solution closed right up to the end even though all the information is presented.
Veronica Sanche
A well written novel with great characters and an interesting main plot. However, with sub plots and the seemingly endless dead men who keep appearing, the novel was too long. It seemed to take forever to get to the conclusion.
Dilys
An enjoyable tale of betrayal & intrigue in medieval York. Plenty of bodies & suspects which keeps the reader guessing who done it to the end, which is what a good crime novel needs. Will read more books by this author.
Bunnyk
Enjoyed this thoroughly - borrowed it from the library, remembered I don't HAVE to own all the books I read! :)

(although I still want a copy of this at some point as I collect her...)
Linda
I guess I am biased - Susanna Gregory would have to be one of my favourite authors. I have loved every Matthew Bartholomew book and this book was, as always, fantastic.
Gevera Bert
I couldn't get into this book. Something about the writing style just left me snoozing. My mom didn't like it either. No stars because I didn't finish it.
Mary
Matt and Michael got themselves in it this time! Love ready these period mystery's by Susanna Gregory!
Margareth8537
Quite enjoy this series but not as much as some of the other mediaeval series about
Vince
Good read but not as good as some of the others in this series.
Judith Lewin
York reading book for the whole city.
Li We
Big City Read, York 2012
Donna Byrnes
Donna Byrnes marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Betty Gladstein
Betty Gladstein marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Andie
Andie marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Jane Broadway
Jane Broadway marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Thewalkinglexicon
Thewalkinglexicon marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Martin Jennis
Martin Jennis marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Derek Spence
Derek Spence marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Susanna Gregory is the pseudonym of Elizabeth Cruwys, a Cambridge academic who was previously a coroner's officer. She writes detective fiction, and is noted for her series of mediaeval mysteries featuring Matthew Bartholomew, a teacher of medicine and investigator of murders in 14th-century Cambridge.

AKA Simon Beaufort

She writes detective fiction, and is noted for her series of mediaeval mysterie...more
More about Susanna Gregory...
A Plague on Both Your Houses (Matthew Bartholomew, #1) An Unholy Alliance (Matthew Bartholomew, #2) A Conspiracy of Violence (Thomas Chaloner, #1) A Deadly Brew (Matthew Bartholomew, #4) A Bone of Contention (Matthew Bartholomew, #3)