Start by marking “As If Being 12 3/4 Isn't Bad Enough, My Mother Is Running for President!” as Want to Read:
As If Being 12 3/4 Isn't Bad Enough, My Mother Is Running for President!

As If Being 12 3/4 Isn't Bad Enough, My Mother Is Running for President!

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  169 ratings  ·  47 reviews
As if being 12 3/4 isn’t bad enough, Vanessa Rothrock’s mother is running for president and it’s ruining her life. Isn’t it enough that her enormous feet trip her up all the time, even on stage during the school spelling bee? Isn’t it enough that Reginald Trumball, love of Vanessa’s pathetic life, read her personal and private list of deficiencies to some boy she doesn’t e ...more
Published February 12th 2008 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2008)

Be the first to ask a question about As If Being 12 3/4 Isn't Bad Enough, My Mother Is Running for President!

Thirteen by Lauren MyracleThin Rich Bitches by Janet Eve JosselynTwenties Girl by Sophie KinsellaMidnight Sun by Stephenie MeyerThe Undomestic Goddess by Sophie Kinsella
Best Chick Lit Books
7th out of 8 books — 3 voters
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyOne Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken KeseyWatership Down by Richard AdamsGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellSmashed, Squashed, Splattered, Chewed, Chunked and Spewed by Lance Carbuncle
Fascinating Titles
153rd out of 203 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Sylvia
Vanessa mengalami apa yang dialami banyak anak-anak seusianya: clumsy, gak PD sama rambut, pingin punya body yang oke, dan lain-lain. Tapi Vanessa memiliki sesuatu yang nggak dimiliki kebanyakan gadis diusianya: keahliannya dalam spelling dan ibu yang menjabat sebagai gubernur.

Ketika ibunya mencalonkan diri untuk menjadi calon presiden, Vanessa mendaftar alasan kenapa ibunya seharusnya TIDAK mencalonkan diri menjadi presiden. Vanessa khawatir ibunya terluka, karena sejak ibunya menang di bebera
Linda
Vanessa suffers the usual traumas for her age - flat chest, crush on a popular guy and being generally pretty clutsy. What sets her apart is her bodyguard and fan mail as her mother is running for president. Gives some insight into the political process and some issues. Language and story are rather ordinary, but should have an audience especially this year.
Jessikah
Not bad at all, not the best either. Cute, a little too much use of teen/tween lingo like "OHMYGOD" every other page, I found this distracting but I doubt the target audience will be bothered by it.. I think they will like this book and be drawn in. I would recommend it.
Cindy Hudson
There's a lot to like in Donna Gephart's first book, as if being 12-3/4 isn't bad enough, my mother is running for president. Vanessa Rothrock is nearly 13 and already used to the limelight because she's the Florida governor's daughter. But when her mother decides to run for president, and it looks like she stands a good chance of winning, Vanessa's life intensifies. Gephart gives us a good glimpse into the family life of a presidential candidate—hint: there's not much family time—while also cap ...more
Aaron
At first glance, Vanessa Rothrock is really not all that different from most other girls her age. She has a crush on the cute guy at school. She has a great friend. She works hard to do well in school. At the same time, her mother is the governor of Florida and quickly on her way to becoming the Democratic nominee for President in the upcoming election.

Nessa has also faced some adversity in the past. Her father died in a plane crash years earlier. She still holds her memories of him dear. His ab
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Allison Fraclose for TeensReadToo.com

As the governor's daughter, Vanessa Rothrock already has a complicated life. Not only is she a complete klutz, but she's the only kid in school with a bodyguard, she gets absolutely no privacy, and she has to make an appointment to see her own mother. Things would be much easier if she didn't spend her life in the scrutiny of the public eye, because, whenever in the spotlight, Vanessa will surely trip over her own gigantic feet.

Now that it looks
Terri
Vanessa Rothrock, the young daughter of the recently widowed governor of Florida, longs for her life to be different. She prays to the Boob Fairy that her chest will grow. She longs for the cutest boy in school to notice her and wishes she weren't so clumsy. But she also has some serious concerns. She dislikes being in the public eye and deeply misses her father. But in the 7th grade she believes much of her life could be improved if her mother would simply drop out of the presidential race. Whe ...more
Rachel
Cute, sometimes surprisingly moving. Kind of tries not to dwell on the fact that her father died, but when mentioned you see the impact. The family is absorbed in campaigns. Pretty good.
Tanja
Vanessa has a lot to deal with that many teens/pre-teens can easily identify with: a crush on the most popular boy in school, a secret admirer, getting a grip on her clumsiness, her changing (or not changing) body, friendships - but on top of all she is also the daughter of the governor of Florida which means she attends school accompanied by a bodyguard. Then her mum decides to run for president and life gets even more complicated. The book surprised me with some unexpected mystery and suspense ...more
Viviann
Read this so long ago I don't even remember anything except the main character complaining about having no chest.
Leah Rosenman
This book, by far, is one of the best books I have ever read. I say that about every book I like, but I'm dead serious. Its about a girl, Vanessa Rothrock, who believes she has a pathetic life. Her mother is the governor of Florida,the great Ellisa Rothrock, and is never around to see her daughter grow up anymore. Vanessa is a great speller, and wins her school spelling bee, but her mom isn't there to see her win. She's deathly in love with this Reginald Trumball character, who plays an interest ...more
7703arlet
This book is okay. It's about Vanessa and how her mother is running for president. Vanessa in the beginning of the book wants more than anything for her mother to drop out of the race. Towards the end, Vanessa changes her mind and wants her mother to continuing running and to NOT drop out of the race. I thought this book was okay because there's sort of a mystery in this book and I wanted to find out the end. This book however, I found, was bit easy and more for young readers. I recommend this b ...more
Payton
Didn't love it but I liked it
Dawn
Oh! I remember reading this when i was aroung 9-10 (i'm 13 now.) and i just loved this book!

I read this during a time when if books didn't have something interesting enough, that i would just stop reading on like page 20.

But this is funny, sweet, and has action! I also loved the part (spoiler alert!) were she got shot in the butt, funny AND unexpected!

So basically, back then i was a picky reader, and if this book kept me enterained back then, it
s sure to be an enjoyable book now.

Aubrey
This was an OK book. To me it seemed like it was written by a mother envisioning the perfect daughter, rather than by a woman getting in touch with what it's like to be a tween. The girl was just a little too selfless, too concerned about her mother, and too ready to apologize for every little offense. The book would have rang more true if she had been a bit irrational, rude, and caustic towards her loved ones--as all tween girls are.
Sandra McLeod
I love Vanessa and all her self-talk. Her self-absorption is typical for kids that age, and I think a lot of readers will identify with her insecurities and sensitivities. Some important issues (single parenting, peer relationships, mother-daughter relationships, self-image problems, etc.) were addressed, and the element of mystery added another dimension which I found very appealing. All in all, a fun read!
Taylor
This book is about one sordif cautious of herself.......She is that way cause first her mom is govoner....And she never gets to see her.......but now her mom is running for president!!! and she thinks now she will never get to talk,see,or hear her voice for a while ='(
so i will promise you that you will fall in love with this book....i did..=P
Carrie
I *really* enjoyed this book. I think my middle schoolers will also enjoy this book. I've read a review that said the main character is too apologetic. I didn't agree with that. It's how I would have been, and it's how some of my students are. They believe everything is their fault. I thought her feelings were real.
Paige Shea
Great Book

The book is silly and light hearted at the beginning. As the story progresses though, the suspense builds up leading to the end. I enjoyed this book and would recommend it to ages 10-14.
Julie
This was a great quick read, though I found it to be a bit predictable. Overall, I loved it, though there were a few "odd" parts. For example, I found Vanessa's lengthy prayers to the Boob Fairy to be pretty weird. I read this book in a day though, so that means that it was definetly good.
Candice
Aug 13, 2010 Candice rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: To anyone who enjoys a good mystery or a good comedy. A great book, almost anyone would enjoy.
Shelves: first-reads
I love that Vanessa is just an average girl stuck in not so average circumstances (C-I-R-C-U-M-S-T-A-N-C-E-S, circumstances). She has more courage than most 12-13 year olds, even if she doesn't believe it. This is a mystery/comedy that keeps you intrigued throughout the entire story.
Toni
A timely book written from a candidate's daughter's point of view. Not completely realistic action scene, but it still had its redeeming qualities. Middle schoolers would read this and think, "That thought must be similar to one Sasha or Malia might have."
Kimberly Sabatini
I read this with my boys and we laughed out loud ever time we cracked the spine. And I must share--because the title is a mouthful--my boys just called the book "Boob Fairy." This absolutely enhanced the chuckles. Such a fun read. <3
Ella
I liked How to Survive Middle School more than this book, but it is just as charming.
Grace Hoover
This book was very good!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't really like all the romance but i liked when it got mysterious and creepy. I really liked how Donna Gephart made Vanessa seem like a regular 7th grader!!!!!!!!
Jeff Raymond
A charming book about a girl who's getting by while her mother runs for office. Reading this during the 2008 election season was a fun diversion, and the book, while light, definitely hits the right notes.
Patty
Think "Are You There God?" with a political twist. I found her fears for her remaining parent very real and a bit jarring in contrast to the otherwise humorous story, but still a sweet read.
Treasure
Great book for upper elementary and middle school girls, cute, honest, and fairly realistic. It was appropriate in content for the target audience.
Alisyn
Funny story about, well, a 12 3/4 yr. old girl who's mother is running for President. It wasn't a GREAT book, but I did enjoy it.
Julie
loved it!!! Great story of a girl and her mom, the Governor, on the political fast-track for a Presidential nomination.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Down Sand Mountain
  • Brendan Buckley's Universe and Everything in It
  • Semiprecious
  • The Hope Chest
  • Love (In the Cards, #1)
  • Homefront
  • Imaginary Enemy
  • Ella the Elegant Elephant
  • Secret of the Night Ponies
  • The Fabled Fourth Graders of Aesop Elementary School
  • Honeybee: Poems & Short Prose
  • Agnes Parker... Keeping Cool in Middle School
  • Initiation (Canterwood Crest, #13)
  • What the Dog Said
  • Elissa's Quest (Phoenix Rising, #1)
  • Gossip from the Girls' Room (Blogtastic!, #1)
  • Dumped by Popular Demand (The Social Experiments of Dorie Dilts, #1)
  • The Year of the Bomb
How to Survive Middle School Olivia Bean, Trivia Queen Death by Toilet Paper Dood door wc-papier Up a Tree Without a Paddle