Start by marking “As If Being 12 3/4 Isn't Bad Enough, My Mother Is Running for President!” as Want to Read:
As If Being 12 3/4 Isn't Bad Enough, My Mother Is Running for President!

As If Being 12 3/4 Isn't Bad Enough, My Mother Is Running for President!

As if being 12 3/4 isn’t bad enough, Vanessa Rothrock’s mother is running for president and it’s ruining her life. Isn’t it enough that her enormous feet trip her up all the time, even on stage during the school spelling bee? Isn’t it enough that Reginald Trumball, love of Vanessa’s pathetic life, read her personal and private list of deficiencies to some boy she doesn’t e ...more
Published February 12th 2008 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2008)

Be the first to ask a question about As If Being 12 3/4 Isn't Bad Enough, My Mother Is Running for President!

Motahare
موقعی که خریدمش دوست داشتم عالی باشه ولی نبود.یک خوب معمولی بود.و بشتر بهش یه عددی بین 3.5 تا 4 میدم.بالغ بر 50 درصد مواقعی هم که نویسنده نمک می پروند آدم پوکر فیس میشد.
ولی یه چیزای خوبی هم داشت به عنوان یه کتاب نو جوون.
و توی این شرایط دشوار درسی و زندگی خوندن یه کتاب مثل این شبیه استراحتیه که بعد از یه کار سخت به خودت میدی.
و نگاه نویسنده به یه سری مسائل هم خوب بود.و زبون رک و صریح و بی پرده ش به دل من نشست.
و یه چند جاییش هم واقعا خندیدم.
خلاصه که بدک نبود
Sylvia
Mar 03, 2010 Sylvia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Vanessa mengalami apa yang dialami banyak anak-anak seusianya: clumsy, gak PD sama rambut, pingin punya body yang oke, dan lain-lain. Tapi Vanessa memiliki sesuatu yang nggak dimiliki kebanyakan gadis diusianya: keahliannya dalam spelling dan ibu yang menjabat sebagai gubernur.

Ketika ibunya mencalonkan diri untuk menjadi calon presiden, Vanessa mendaftar alasan kenapa ibunya seharusnya TIDAK mencalonkan diri menjadi presiden. Vanessa khawatir ibunya terluka, karena sejak ibunya menang di bebera
Rosa Elena
Nov 17, 2015 Rosa Elena rated it it was amazing
"As if being 12 3/4 isn't bad enough, my mom is running for president!" It may be a long title, it may have many words in spelling spelled by Vanessa Rothrock, it may have some innapropriate words, but I LOVE this book!!! The story combines the life of having a famous parent and an almost teenager life! Vanessa Rothrock was not agreeing for her mom to become president, but then, she started to think about it in a better way. After getting notes from a secret admirer and strange notes from a stra ...more
713Stella
Oct 14, 2015 713Stella rated it it was amazing
This book is a great representation of a girl in 7th grade learning that life is not all what it seams. Vanessa gets all kinds of threat notes saying that they were going to hurt her and her mom, which turned out to be true. The book kind of proves the theory that people closest to you can hurt you the most, and I mean that in two ways. First, Vanessa's math teacher ended up being the one who was sending the threat notes, and that showed how someone she thought she could trust ended up really ph ...more
Linda
May 06, 2008 Linda rated it it was ok
Vanessa suffers the usual traumas for her age - flat chest, crush on a popular guy and being generally pretty clutsy. What sets her apart is her bodyguard and fan mail as her mother is running for president. Gives some insight into the political process and some issues. Language and story are rather ordinary, but should have an audience especially this year.
Jessikah
May 17, 2008 Jessikah rated it liked it
Not bad at all, not the best either. Cute, a little too much use of teen/tween lingo like "OHMYGOD" every other page, I found this distracting but I doubt the target audience will be bothered by it.. I think they will like this book and be drawn in. I would recommend it.
Cindy Hudson
Jan 08, 2010 Cindy Hudson rated it really liked it
There's a lot to like in Donna Gephart's first book, as if being 12-3/4 isn't bad enough, my mother is running for president. Vanessa Rothrock is nearly 13 and already used to the limelight because she's the Florida governor's daughter. But when her mother decides to run for president, and it looks like she stands a good chance of winning, Vanessa's life intensifies. Gephart gives us a good glimpse into the family life of a presidential candidate—hint: there's not much family time—while also cap ...more
Aaron
Dec 31, 2008 Aaron rated it really liked it
At first glance, Vanessa Rothrock is really not all that different from most other girls her age. She has a crush on the cute guy at school. She has a great friend. She works hard to do well in school. At the same time, her mother is the governor of Florida and quickly on her way to becoming the Democratic nominee for President in the upcoming election.

Nessa has also faced some adversity in the past. Her father died in a plane crash years earlier. She still holds her memories of him dear. His ab
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Allison Fraclose for TeensReadToo.com

As the governor's daughter, Vanessa Rothrock already has a complicated life. Not only is she a complete klutz, but she's the only kid in school with a bodyguard, she gets absolutely no privacy, and she has to make an appointment to see her own mother. Things would be much easier if she didn't spend her life in the scrutiny of the public eye, because, whenever in the spotlight, Vanessa will surely trip over her own gigantic feet.

Now that it looks
Jeanne
Dec 18, 2015 Jeanne rated it liked it
I have to admit that this is my least favorite of Donna Gephart's books for tweens. I do think that the book will be timely to pull back out amidst election fever in 2016. I have always wondered myself what compels anyone to put their family through an election or a presidency. I also think that regardless of whether or not a parent is running for president, this book highlights the conflict between a parent's professional and family obligations.

What I disliked about this book are the same thing
Terri
Jul 23, 2009 Terri rated it liked it
Vanessa Rothrock, the young daughter of the recently widowed governor of Florida, longs for her life to be different. She prays to the Boob Fairy that her chest will grow. She longs for the cutest boy in school to notice her and wishes she weren't so clumsy. But she also has some serious concerns. She dislikes being in the public eye and deeply misses her father. But in the 7th grade she believes much of her life could be improved if her mother would simply drop out of the presidential race. Whe ...more
Leah Rosenman
Nov 10, 2012 Leah Rosenman rated it it was amazing
This book, by far, is one of the best books I have ever read. I say that about every book I like, but I'm dead serious. Its about a girl, Vanessa Rothrock, who believes she has a pathetic life. Her mother is the governor of Florida,the great Ellisa Rothrock, and is never around to see her daughter grow up anymore. Vanessa is a great speller, and wins her school spelling bee, but her mom isn't there to see her win. She's deathly in love with this Reginald Trumball character, who plays an interest ...more
Tanja
Vanessa has a lot to deal with that many teens/pre-teens can easily identify with: a crush on the most popular boy in school, a secret admirer, getting a grip on her clumsiness, her changing (or not changing) body, friendships - but on top of all she is also the daughter of the governor of Florida which means she attends school accompanied by a bodyguard. Then her mum decides to run for president and life gets even more complicated. The book surprised me with some unexpected mystery and suspense ...more
Mark Buxton
Jul 29, 2015 Mark Buxton rated it really liked it
This book probably has more appeal for girl readers. Vanessa deals with issues experienced by all middle grade girls. She's embarrassed by her slow physical development, except for her over-sized feet, and she's wants the cutest boy in class to like her, except that he's a jerk. She also has less common problems, such as having a bodyguard follow her everywhere and having to worry about being on the national news. The early part of the plot deals with Vanessa's obsession with spelling and boys, ...more
7703arlet
Feb 27, 2013 7703arlet rated it really liked it
This book is okay. It's about Vanessa and how her mother is running for president. Vanessa in the beginning of the book wants more than anything for her mother to drop out of the race. Towards the end, Vanessa changes her mind and wants her mother to continuing running and to NOT drop out of the race. I thought this book was okay because there's sort of a mystery in this book and I wanted to find out the end. This book however, I found, was bit easy and more for young readers. I recommend this b ...more
Sandra McLeod
Aug 17, 2009 Sandra McLeod rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-novels
I love Vanessa and all her self-talk. Her self-absorption is typical for kids that age, and I think a lot of readers will identify with her insecurities and sensitivities. Some important issues (single parenting, peer relationships, mother-daughter relationships, self-image problems, etc.) were addressed, and the element of mystery added another dimension which I found very appealing. All in all, a fun read!
Sarah Azaria
Sep 29, 2016 Sarah Azaria rated it liked it
This was a very good book. The character had so many deep feelings. In a way I kind of felt bad for her. At the end, I kind of ended up slipping into her shoes and got excited when she did, mad when she did etc. The book had a good plot, but it could have been better if Donna Gephart didn't take as long explaining things and repeating herself in the text, the book would have definitely been better.
Aubrey
Nov 26, 2008 Aubrey rated it it was ok
This was an OK book. To me it seemed like it was written by a mother envisioning the perfect daughter, rather than by a woman getting in touch with what it's like to be a tween. The girl was just a little too selfless, too concerned about her mother, and too ready to apologize for every little offense. The book would have rang more true if she had been a bit irrational, rude, and caustic towards her loved ones--as all tween girls are.
705Anik
Oct 01, 2015 705Anik rated it it was ok
"As If Being 12 3/4 Isn't Bad Enough, My Mother Is Running for President!" by Donna Gephart was a fun book to read but was not such a great story line. The book kept repeating points made and you kept wanting to scream at the character "Figure it out already!". The main character (Vanessa) was both relatable and non-relatable. I recommend this book to people who want to have fun reading but not a literary masterpiece where you have to think a lot.
Dawn
Jul 07, 2012 Dawn rated it really liked it
Oh! I remember reading this when i was aroung 9-10 (i'm 13 now.) and i just loved this book!

I read this during a time when if books didn't have something interesting enough, that i would just stop reading on like page 20.

But this is funny, sweet, and has action! I also loved the part (spoiler alert!) were she got shot in the butt, funny AND unexpected!

So basically, back then i was a picky reader, and if this book kept me enterained back then, it
s sure to be an enjoyable book now.

LINCCReviews
Jun 26, 2015 LINCCReviews rated it really liked it
Good,but not that great. A crush who actually is shallow, a mild boy who turns out to have been crushing on her the whole time she's hoping for a miraculous change in the hot, but mean crush, a mansion, a bodyguard, a running-for-president mother, and finally Vanessa herself, champion speller, governer's daughter, subject of a not-so-cute boy's crush- all in all,good quickie read. (kittycrazy601)
Brenna
Feb 19, 2016 Brenna rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-books
Cute story about a tween girl who's mother is running for president- fairly tame for tween audiences, though the girl dealing with assassination threats against her mother and herself is a bit darker than the rest of the book (though handled well for the audience age). Good tidbits of info about primaries, caucuses, and party conventions in the book as well.
Carrie
May 20, 2012 Carrie rated it really liked it
I *really* enjoyed this book. I think my middle schoolers will also enjoy this book. I've read a review that said the main character is too apologetic. I didn't agree with that. It's how I would have been, and it's how some of my students are. They believe everything is their fault. I thought her feelings were real.
Taylor
Nov 18, 2010 Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: taylora-self-d
This book is about one sordif cautious of herself.......She is that way cause first her mom is govoner....And she never gets to see her.......but now her mom is running for president!!! and she thinks now she will never get to talk,see,or hear her voice for a while ='(
so i will promise you that you will fall in love with this book....i did..=P
Toni
Jan 25, 2009 Toni rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
A timely book written from a candidate's daughter's point of view. Not completely realistic action scene, but it still had its redeeming qualities. Middle schoolers would read this and think, "That thought must be similar to one Sasha or Malia might have."
Jeff Raymond
Mar 14, 2012 Jeff Raymond rated it really liked it
A charming book about a girl who's getting by while her mother runs for office. Reading this during the 2008 election season was a fun diversion, and the book, while light, definitely hits the right notes.
Candice
Jul 26, 2010 Candice rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: To anyone who enjoys a good mystery or a good comedy. A great book, almost anyone would enjoy.
Shelves: first-reads
I love that Vanessa is just an average girl stuck in not so average circumstances (C-I-R-C-U-M-S-T-A-N-C-E-S, circumstances). She has more courage than most 12-13 year olds, even if she doesn't believe it. This is a mystery/comedy that keeps you intrigued throughout the entire story.
Ella
Sep 16, 2010 Ella rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I liked How to Survive Middle School more than this book, but it is just as charming.
Kimberly Sabatini
Feb 22, 2012 Kimberly Sabatini rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mg-ya
I read this with my boys and we laughed out loud ever time we cracked the spine. And I must share--because the title is a mouthful--my boys just called the book "Boob Fairy." This absolutely enhanced the chuckles. Such a fun read. <3
Julie
Oct 11, 2008 Julie rated it really liked it
This was a great quick read, though I found it to be a bit predictable. Overall, I loved it, though there were a few "odd" parts. For example, I found Vanessa's lengthy prayers to the Boob Fairy to be pretty weird. I read this book in a day though, so that means that it was definetly good.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Down Sand Mountain
  • The Sorta Sisters
  • Agnes Parker... Keeping Cool in Middle School
  • Secret of the Night Ponies
  • Imaginary Enemy
  • Love (In the Cards, #1)
  • Brendan Buckley's Universe and Everything in It
  • The Fabled Fourth Graders of Aesop Elementary School
  • The Hope Chest
  • Honeybee: Poems & Short Prose
  • 15 Minutes
  • Tru Confessions
  • How to Save Your Tail*:
  • 13: A Novel
  • Billy Hooten, Owlboy (Billy Hooten, Owlboy, #1)
  • Voss