McKenna, Ready to Fly!

McKenna, Ready to Fly! (American Girl of the Year)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  246 ratings  ·  23 reviews
When Seattle fourth-grader McKenna Brooks’ cast comes off she dives back into gymnastics training in hopes of making the competitive team, but after volunteering at a therapeutic horseback riding center, she considers broadening her interests.

After McKenna suffers an injury that causes her to worry about her place on the Shooting Star competitive gymnastics team, she tries...more
Published December 27th 2011 by American Girl Publishing Inc (first published December 2011)

To ask other readers questions about McKenna, Ready to Fly!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about McKenna, Ready to Fly!

Marian
My only real problem with the McKenna books is that one of the big plot points involves McKenna's friend, Toulane, being rather snitty towards McKenna. Instead of ever talking to Toulane (whom I assumed was her friend outside of gymnastics)... McKenna just sort of wonders idly why Toulane might be upset with her when she shows interest in other things... usually after observing Toulane's incredibly overbearing mother be incredibly overbearing. :P Also, McKenna never seems to hang out with her fr...more
Cassy J.
i think mckenna ready to fly was also a good book. i liked the first book a little better though. mckenna became really good friends with her turor, josie. josie is not able to walk and is only able to get around in a wheelchair. mckenna helps Josie a lot and josie has always wanted to go horseback riding but with her disibility, Josie thinks its inpossible. Mckenna is very optimistic and helped josie become more confident and decided to try riding a horse. josie ended up doing pretty well on th...more
Katie Fitzgerald
I like Mary Casanova's storytelling style, and I felt like I got to know McKenna's character really well. Parents who seek out books devoid of angst, kissing, and superficial concerns will find the McKenna books a welcome alternative to some of the heavier middle grade books out there, and a nice contemporary read-alike for American Girl's historical novels. I prefer the Kanani books, because I think the characters and setting in those were better-developed, but the McKenna books are solid stori...more
Beth Pond
I didn't fall head-over-heals with McKenna like I did with Mia. There were times when the narrative seemed spot on and other times, mostly in the dialogue, where the kids sounded very inauthentic. Also, while I appreciate that McKenna has a friend in a wheelchair and feel that disabilities were handled carefully, respectfully and tactfully in the novel, it seemed like the numerous references to Josie being in a wheelchair and being disabled made her a bit of a token.
This was a great book because it was very descriptive and based on a great story. It's a simple read with not too hard vocabulary. I recomend this book to 4th and 5th grade girls. This book is about a girl named Makenna, who is an amazing gymnast who has great friends but she thinks there friendship is slowly ending and is trying to fix it. Meanwhile she fell behind in school and now has a toutor but her toutor is also her best friend, now her toutor is going to a horse back riding place and Mak...more
Gracie
this book is so inspiring. if you think your life is hard, this book will make you think again. mckenna made me realize that i'm not the only one struggling with life's grasps.i'm along side many others that look as cool as me. but instead on the inside we're all just nervous,tired,desperate people and we're not alone.
Michelle
A book that teaches the value of friendship, hard work, and compassion is a big winner in our house! McKenna works hard to get back to her dream of being on the competitive team while learning to balance friendships and school work too. She use her gifts to help others and finds value in teamwork and friendship.
Kristine Pratt
I like how this story shifts more onto Josie as she decides to try horsebackriding. Seeing McKenna come through for her friend is heartwarming and made her a lot more likable. I was sorry that the series ended here.
Ashley
Thumbs up to American Girl for promoting stories about self-worth, service, hard work, friendship, and families! Abby and I loved this book and we can't wait for the movie to come out in July.
Hannah
It was an awesome book! I think the challenges McKenna faces are extremely realistic and I think I can relate. This book is geared toward 9-to-10-year-old girls.
Tara
I have many American girl dolls (including McKenna ) and I hope this book is good! I look forward to reading it!
Amber

Can't wait to reread this series with Lolo when she's bigger. Love my AG books.
Helen Lukens

I read these books along with a darling nine- year- old girl and we both loved them.
Mike Gray
Not quite as enjoyable for my per-schooler as the first one, but we still read it 3 times.
Violet
These two books really left no impression on me. They just keep getting worse...
Elizabeth
2012 Am Girl. Discusses overcoming obstacles, disabilities, and therapy riding.
Katrina
One more fun kids book. Now, back to the regularly scheduled reading material!
Lizzie
I think that McKenna, ready to fly was a great book!
Emma
I love this story of friendship!
Desaraeoneal
i never got to read it so idk so lol
Grace
she has friend issues!
Daniela Moreno
Such a great book adored it
PWRL
Oct 02, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-new
O
Haley
Haley added it
Sep 04, 2014
Mckenna
Mckenna marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Chris
Chris added it
Sep 02, 2014
  • Aloha Kanani (American Girl of the Year 2011, #1)
  • Meet Caroline (American Girls: Caroline, #1)
  • Lanie (American Girl of the Year 2010, #1)
  • Nicki
  • Saige (Saige, #1)
  • Marie-Grace Makes a Difference (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #5)
  • Mia
  • Meet Cécile (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #2)
  • Really Truly Ruthie (American Girls: Kit)
  • Julie's Journey (American Girls: Julie, #5)
  • Changes for Rebecca (American Girls: Rebecca, #6)
  • Kaya's Escape! (American Girls: Kaya, #2)
Mary Casanova is an award-winning children's author of novels and picture books. Many of her books stem from her life on the Minnesota-Canadian border; yet some of her stories have taken her as far away as France, Norway, and Belize for research. Whatever the setting for her books, Casanova writes stories that matter--and stories that kids can't put down.

Her book awards include: American Library A...more
More about Mary Casanova...
Cecile: Gates of Gold McKenna Frozen Chrissa (American Girl Today) Jess (American Girl Today)

“You’ve worked hard at school and at gymnastics. That’s no easy feat!” 0 likes