4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Winner of the 2013 Silver Medal in History from the Military Writer's Society of America

Finalist, 2013 Colby Award

Winner of the 2012 USABest Book Award for Military History

Philip Keith's Blackhorse Riders is the incredible true story of a brave military unit in Vietnam that risked everything to rescue an outnumbered troop under heavy fire—and the thirty-nine-year odyssey t...more
Published February 14th 2012 by St. Martin's Press

Paul Pessolano
“Black-Horse Riders” by Philip Keith, published by St. Martin’s Press.

Category – Military/Vietnam

This is an unbelievable story that should be read by everyone regardless of their feelings about the Vietnam War or any military action. This is a story of courage, bravery, and sacrifice that transcends any book I have read concerning a military action, both fiction and non-fiction. In fact, the book is so well written the reader will sometimes lose track that this actually happened.

An infantry unit...more
Fredrick Danysh
The story of of soldiers in Vietnam fighting on the border near Cambodia. When an American patrol stumbles on a larger Viet Cong bunker complex, they engage in a fight for their survival. Running short of ammunition and taking heavy casualties, their only hope is a mixed infantry and air calvary unit five kilometers way. This is an excellent tale of the true life struggles of American fighting men in vivid detail. It took forty years for recognition of their valor and sacrifice to be properly re...more
John Nellis
Very good story about a forgotten battle in Vietnam in March 1970. It sets the stage of how things happened, and then tells of the battle itself. It also tells how the battle was forgotten and the partipants efforts to get it recognized. Which ends up with the unit getting the presidential unit citation from President Obama, and getting the recognition they deserved long ago. I really thought the book did a good job of representing what an armored cav regiment went through in Vietnam.
J.D.
Nov 07, 2013 J.D. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: military history enthusiasts; curious about Vietnam War
I won Phillip Keith’s Blackhorse Riders in a Goodreads giveaway way back in June 2012. Due to the weirdness of life, it’s taken me this long to get a review written.

Blackhorse Riders is literally one of those “cavalry to the rescue” stories—in this case, Alpha Troop of the 11th Armored Cavalry regiment. Being the only “boots on the ground” within range to lend assistance, Alpha Troop cut through four kilometers of dense jungle to assist Company C of the 2/8 1st Cavalry Division, whose mission to...more
Patrick
Blackhorse Riders is an intense ride into the heart of a desperate rescue mission turned near-last stand. Philip Keith writes with extreme skill and realism, creating a true story that reads like a novel. The heroes in this book really come alive, as if you were sitting at a table listening to
them. The action is also intense and draws you in. One chapter I found especially interesting was where Keith breaks the experience of battle down into taste, sight, sound, smell, etc. My only complaint, an...more
Len Roberto
One of the most moving stories of men in combat I have ever read. March 26, 1970 and the events surrounding this rescue mission are vividly told and the reader is fully engaged with the men described. Anyone interested in learning more about the war in Vietnam has to read this story.
Carl Bailey
Great book. It really grabs you and sets the hook.
Lon
Fantastic story about group of men fighting at the end of the Vietnam war. Author does a great job oa placing the battle in the context of events. Then through the eyes of the men there tells a great story of men in battle. Should be a classic. Story does not end there... 2nd part is of gaining the lost recognition for their actions.

Can not wait for the authors next book a story of a battle a few days later of NVA attack on fire-base that was equally as bad and intense and unknown.

Great read....more
Jared Bryson
Good, but not electric book.

The author details a day long firefight in which a lightly armored cavalry troop rides to the rescue of a pinned down infantry company in March of 1970. The most interesting portions of the book centered around how the armored cav fought in Vietnam. The descriptions and uses of the ACAV and M551 Sheridan were particularly interesting.

A good book - well worth the read.
Mitchell
Absolutely fantastic story and an easy read to boot. An intense focus on the men of Team Alpha makes for a rewarding experience for the reader both in hearing about the events of the "Anonymous Battle" but also the award, 40 years later, of the Presidential Unit Citation. The "Blackhorse" definitely adding to its lustered history.
Hockeynancy
The first chapter or two were hard to get through...had to reference back and forth to information listed in the back. That said, once things got going, this was a fascinating and important book, and I highly recommend it. Well researched, well written.
Axie Barclay
I'm not one that enjoys war books or Vietnam stories, but this book had me from page one. Nonfiction that reads like a novel. A truly interesting and inspiring tale of a battle the world almost forgot.
Marcy
Dec 15, 2013 Marcy added it
My father was part of the 11 ACR in the 90's in Gernany, so I saw this and had to read it. Very moving and incredible to see how long it took our government to recognize these men.
Jfarley
Interesting story, that the author pieced together from first hand accounts, but seeing as how it isn't well known, it isn't well documented, and... the book's a little thin.

Christopher Taylor
It is an easy read of a time left with many mixed emotions of young men doing what was asked. You can feel the angst and tension of close combat in a sweaty jungle.
Good book!
Lee
Well-written. I would make my usual request for more maps, but I was able to keep the battlefield in my head pretty well throughout.
Ct Banjo
Terrific account of a little know battle in Viet Nam and a heroic rescue led by Captain John Poindexter.
Gary A.
Well documented -and you can smell the battle- a must read for war-history buffs.
Roadhouse
This was an great story about a significant battle during the war in Vietnam.
Richard
Excellent account of desperate men in a desperate situation.
Terry Foster
Pretty accurate to actual conditions for much of the "Cav".
Evan Coane
Evan Coane marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Emily Claire
Emily Claire marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Phil graduated from Harvard. During Vietnam Phil served with distinction as a Naval aviator; worked for 2 Fortune 500 firms; CEO for three technology companies. Phil teaches at the Rhode Island School of Design (RISD), is a columnist, a magazine feature writer, has published two fictional novels. Latest major work is "Fire Base Illingworth" a non-fiction account of a battle and rescue in Vietnam,...more
More about Philip Keith...
Fire Base Illingworth: An Epic True Story of Remarkable Courage Against Staggering Odds Fire Base Illingworth: An Epic True Story of Remarkable Courage Against Staggering Odds Blackhorse Riders: A Desperate Last Stand, an Extraordinary Rescue Mission, and the Vietnam Battle America Forgot Fire Base Illingworth: An Epic True Story of Remarkable Courage Against Staggering Odds The Hamptons Survival Guide