Start by marking “Princess Knight, Vol. 2” as Want to Read:
Princess Knight, Vol. 2

Princess Knight, Vol. 2 (Princess Knight Omnibus #2)

Set in a medieval fairy-tale backdrop, Princess Knight is the tale of a young princess named Sapphire who must pretend to be a male prince so she can inherit the throne. Women have long been prevented from taking the throne, but Sapphire is not discouraged and instead she fully accepts the role, becoming a dashing hero(ine) that the populous is proud of.

The playful cartoon
Published December 6th 2011 by Vertical (first published 1966)

To ask other readers questions about Princess Knight, Vol. 2, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Princess Knight, Vol. 2

Russell Grant
Mar 17, 2014 Russell Grant rated it really liked it
So this is the second and final part of the series. Basically this is Tezuka's take on classic fairy tale tropes, told only in the way that he can. The basic plot is that of a child born with both a boys and a girls heart, and is then raised as a Prince so that "he" can inherit the throne. His dual identity is a kept secrete, and all kinds of woe from witches, rivals, demons and goddesses. The story moves at a steady pace, and Tezuka keeps everything light. The art is impeccable as always. It's ...more
Chibineko
Jun 19, 2012 Chibineko rated it it was amazing
I finally managed to get around to getting my hands on this book after looking around for a while. It's very much worth the wait and effort to find. (I ended up getting it in a local comic book store.)

The artwork in this is classic Tezuka, so fans of his style will love every single panel of this series. I have to say that my two favorite characters as far as artwork goes was Heckett (the witch's daughter) and the pirate (can't remember his name off the top of my head). It's a good thing that bo
Nathaniel
Feb 13, 2013 Nathaniel rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, fiction, fantasy
Osamu's work is of course defining, especially for Japanese comics, and should be read by anyone interested in the art; Princess Knight is no exception, especially considering its importance in the development of shojo. This doesn't mean that the God of Manga's works are all above criticism or scrutiny. On the contrary, a number of his works can be quite perplexing in revealing the author's limited worldviews. Princess Knight is a good example of this, when we see Osamu's characters in the same ...more
Dean Simons
Nov 16, 2016 Dean Simons rated it really liked it
Although the ending is very rushed and not entirely satisfying, this madcap crossdressing, gender confused story is a very enjoyable hoot.

While it is rather backwards in its perspectives (it's from the 1950s!) and LGBT issues are not considered, this remains an intriguing and thought provoking work of its time.
Jun 27, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This is the second installment to the Princess Knight manga that I read A YEAR AGO! Where does the time go? For the previous book I talked about how I could see modern parrallels with the main character Prince Sapphire with people who identify as transgender. This most likely not the intention of the author, Osamu Tezuka. There is actually more written about how the character Prince Sapphire is the first "gender neutral" character in Japanese mangas. So what is the basic plot line? The Queen giv ...more
Stevie
Aug 02, 2012 Stevie rated it liked it
I really didn't like Part Two as much as I liked Part One and I'd like to explain why by talking a bit about the work as a whole and how it plays out differently depending on what chapter you're looking at. Just a quick note, I know that the series was originally serialized but if you're getting it in any format, it's probably going to be omnibus, not individual parts. So keep that in mind.

1) Part Two moves almost too fast and it's hard to keep up. The first half has moments where there's a lot
Polly Reichelt
Sep 18, 2016 Polly Reichelt rated it really liked it
Great classic Tezuka manga but not the best in my opinion.
Nikki
May 04, 2016 Nikki rated it it was amazing
Wes Young
Mar 27, 2013 Wes Young rated it it was ok
So... ultimately I don't think I enjoyed this Tezuka series as much as some of the others I have read. Granted, a princess story is probably not geared toward a 30-year-old male, but there were several things that I think even a younger reader, regardless of gender, would have complaints about. Specifically, in part 2 there were probably at least 6 different spots were the story could have concluded, and yet it continued to drag on and on and on. Together, the story is over 700 pages, which even ...more
Paolo
Mar 21, 2015 Paolo rated it liked it
Not sure why it happens so often to Tezuka's work, but I really feel like he can't give any of his stories a decent ending. This second volume essentially begins the final arc of Princess Sapphire's story, but through a series of miscommunication, the deft hand of several celestial beings (both wicked and divine) and several love dodecahedrons, Sapphire's story jumps through more hoops than most full length shoujo manga out there. Not to say that the series itself began to deteriorate in this ...more
Sereneblaze

The playful cartooning style of Princess Knight is comparable to that of Disney, à la Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. Considered by many as one
Nick
May 09, 2012 Nick rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
I think it will rub everyone the wrong way a little that Saphire's courage and battle prowess come from her boy heart but she still remains a fairly strong female lead and we get other female characters like Friebe and the awesome Hecate who are badass in their own right. The story itself has some interesting stuff about how arbitrary and pointless gender roles are but this is alongside the casual sexism of the day. It is otherwise pretty meandering and full of new unexplained plot mechanics and ...more
Charliesabers
Dec 03, 2012 Charliesabers rated it liked it
The closing chapters of this saga remain fun and engaging, but definitely stumble a bit near the end. The story continues the saga of Sapphire as she tries to reclaim her throne, save her princes and foil her enemies' plans. While the story remains past paced and relatively light, there as still quite a few tragic deaths of beloved characters, which never feel meaningless. The art remains beautiful and the translation solid. I was delighted to read such an avant garde book, that is still ...more
Jax
Jul 03, 2014 Jax rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, romance
I think, like all other of Tezuka's books, that the story was very intriguing, unique, and appealing to audiences of all ages (although more inclined towards younger readers since the story is a little too fairy tale centered). There is action, suspense, and many twists that makes the story not just a simple princess-like tale. Unfortunately, the only thing that I did not like from this book and which also made me feel very uncomfortable were the segregated concepts of masculinity and ...more
Monique
Mar 10, 2015 Monique rated it it was ok
I'm not sure how I felt about the second half of the Princess Knight series. I feel it was stronger then the first half, like Tezuka was starting to get a feel for the series and the characters, but I'm left feeling kind of indifferent about the whole thing. The two characters I like have their story lines wrapped up shortly after the book starts (in a most unsatisfactory way), and the whole Venus arch was tedious, except for Friebe's character who I loved (so kick ass)

Weak story overall. Ended
Anthony
Mar 10, 2013 Anthony rated it it was amazing
the 2nd volume was way better; from venus ironically turning into a pig in the end, to friebe the knight being introuced, to oolong the king, plastic getting the boy heart, to hecate & the withc dying, to prince blood's death & the island of the black pearl- it had every mix of characters; a constant chase b/w getting the heart back & then prince Franz reuniting w/ Sapphire; @ one moment, they don't love each other, then they misunderstand each other, then they look 4 each other..man ...more
Skjam!
The conclusion to Tezuka's seminal gender-role examining manga.

Don't be fooled by the Disney/Fleisheresque art and the fact that Ribon no Kishi was aimed at teenaged girls in Japan. This is a surprisingly violent story, and especially in this half, the violence has real consequences.

This, combined with the fact that it was originally written in the 1950s and has some antiquated attitudes, means that you should think carefully about giving Princess Knight to early teens, and perhaps discuss some
Genevieve Heinrich
Mar 31, 2012 Genevieve Heinrich rated it it was ok
Volume 2 is a big part of the reason that I disliked volume 1. The first part of the series leaves open some potential for improvement, but the story becomes even flatter and more reductive in the second half, and the characters more of a reckless western mess. Cute, but frustrating. Kids might like these, but (like many other work of that era) probably should discuss the issues in them during or after reading.
Sarah Schanze
Jun 10, 2012 Sarah Schanze rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Wasn't as charmed by this volume as the first one. It began to feel a bit loose and forced, with several new characters introduced who only lasted a couple of chapters. Some of the plots felt cliched and convenient (and yeah this is from the 50s, but still). Still liked it, but I'm not as enamored with it as the first volume.
Lord
Jun 30, 2012 Lord rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, fantasy
It's almost unbelievable that this manga is more than 50 years old. It's wonderful, endlessly imaginative and well drawn. Sure, it shows its age but it's still perfectly readable even now and I'm afraid that is something that only several masters accomplished. And Osamu Tezuka is probably the best of them all.
sarah
Jul 26, 2015 sarah rated it really liked it
Idk, I love Tezuka, I love gender-benders (even though this one reaffirms binaries more than it challenges them, at times)... I enjoyed this weird Japanese Disney fancomic. It left me craving some more female prince stuff... Rose of Versailles next, maybe...
Kereesa
I think there's nothing more romantic than a love interest seeing a character for exactly for they are (faults and all) and stating they are absolutely into that.

The series just got better and better near the end.
Mooson
Oct 20, 2015 Mooson rated it did not like it
Shelves: manga
Well, I can see why this story was influential in its own time and how it still is an interesting historical document, but for me it was just too much 50-ies misogyny and gender stereotypes to be enjoyable.
Bookista
Jul 29, 2015 Bookista rated it really liked it
I liked Part 2 of this gender-bending manga melodrama even more than Part 1. It's an odd book, though. I sort of enjoyed the retro fight between the king's soldiers and their own wives, but it was also deeply bizarre.
Ksenia
Feb 18, 2013 Ksenia rated it liked it
This was a cute story. Silly and ridiculous but cute. Might end up checking out Tezuka's other work.
Sarah Hayes
Apr 06, 2013 Sarah Hayes rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-lns-misc
More of a 3.5 than a 3. A decent end to the series, marred by some dubious gender stereotypes and a lot of deus ex machinas machinas in the face of plot issues. Sapphire is still awesome, tho.
Rachel
Jan 10, 2013 Rachel rated it it was amazing
I love this book :-) I loved the first one and the second one did not disappoint. One for any many a fan to give this a shot. Start with the first one, obviously!
Selena
Even more rushed than the previous volume, and the whole subplot with Venus felt like an add-on to keep the story running longer.

Disappointing.
Ilse
Jul 14, 2012 Ilse rated it liked it
The conclusion of the story was nice to read. During the reading I hoped for a sudden twist in the story, which sadly didn't happen. But nevertheless, it was again a nice Tezukabook to read!
Olivia
May 01, 2014 Olivia rated it did not like it
Shelves: manga, jeunes-adultes
Ce manga a été écrit dans les années '50 et je comprends l'importance qu'il a pu avoir d'un point de vue historique. D'un point de vue "entertainment", il ne m'a pas plu du tout.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Ōoku: The Inner Chambers, Volume 9 (Ōoku: The Inner Chambers / 大奥, #9)
  • So Cute It Hurts!!, Vol. 02
  • To Terra..., Vol. 1
  • Oresama Teacher , Vol. 14
  • Pink
  • In Clothes Called Fat
  • 1/2 王子 2 (1/2 Prince, #2)
  • Ax Volume 1: A Collection of Alternative Manga
  • Wish, Vol. 03 (Wish, #3)
  • Scary Book Volume 1: Reflections (Scary Book)
  • Chi's Sweet Home, Volume 4
  • Ranma 1/2 (2-in-1 Edition), Vol. 1: Includes vols. 1 & 2
From Wikipedia:
Dr. Osamu Tezuka (手塚 治虫) was a Japanese manga artist, animator, producer and medical doctor, although he never practiced medicine. Born in Osaka Prefecture, he is best known as the creator of Astro Boy and Kimba the White Lion. He is often credited as the "Father of Anime", and is often considered the Japanese equivalent to Walt Disney, who served as a major inspiration during his f
More about Osamu Tezuka...

Princess Knight Omnibus (2 books)
  • Princess Knight, Vol. 1