Start by marking “The Lightning Tree” as Want to Read:
The Lightning Tree

The Lightning Tree

The year is 1954. The place is the Burren, a wild, rugged limestone region on the west coast of Ireland. Mariah is an old woman of considerable powers, the last of a long line of renowned healers. Some say her power is a gift from God; others that it comes from the devil, that she is a witch.
Published August 1st 2008 by Brandon Books (first published September 15th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Lightning Tree, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lightning Tree

Cynthia Neale
Sep 04, 2015 Cynthia Neale rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A lyrical, poetic journey into the life of a West Clare woman healer from the late nineteenth century into the the twentieth century. The author, as a boy, knew Mariah and sat at her feet listening to her stories. He weaves a story about this woman living in harmony with the rugged beauty of the Burren. Mariah honors the ancestors, the unique natural surroundings of the Burren, and the healing powers through divinity and the earth. This is also reality for the present for eyes and hearts that se ...more
Jamie
Jul 06, 2008 Jamie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I could not get into this book. It was so slow. I only made it to page 58 and then stopped reading it. I normally always finish a book, even if it isn't that great but I couldn't even finish this one. I think part of it was that I had 3 other books waiting for me so when I couldn't get into this one I started one of the others and never made it back. I wouldn't recommend this book.
Erin
Jan 21, 2015 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I got this book while on a visit home. It was only when I got back State-side that I realised it was a signed copy. Lovely!
I loved every minute of this book that takes place in my people's land of North-West Clare. The Burren is the most magical place in the world and Curtis' haunting prose captures that perfectly.
Deedee Mcintyre
Sep 22, 2015 Deedee Mcintyre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Despite a few editorial mistakes, this was a wonderful book. It was a old woman sharing the stories of her life. The voice of the book was perfect, I could hear the pauses of someone thinking and re-experiencing moments long gone as she related them to a listener. Incredibly moving!
Mary Kate
May 28, 2014 Mary Kate rated it did not like it
I would give this book 1 and 1/2 stars if such rating was possible. The story is poetic but unfortunately, the writing is not. It is sad, because the story and underlying voice of Mariah have potential, but the elementary approach (think USA Today) doesn't deliver.
Franny
Jan 16, 2016 Franny rated it liked it
A collection of Irish folklore, history, and myth, "The Lightning Tree" follows the life of Mariah, a "healer" whose entire 96 years are spent in one small village in County Clare.
Kalin
Kalin rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2012
Michele Scullion
Michele Scullion rated it really liked it
Feb 20, 2017
Relani
Relani rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2013
Carly
Carly rated it it was ok
Sep 16, 2011
Lambknitj
Lambknitj rated it it was ok
Apr 12, 2013
Kit
Kit rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2015
Florence Chard
Florence Chard rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2010
Osprey Hosting
Osprey Hosting rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2013
Kennette
Kennette rated it really liked it
Jun 09, 2013
Dyann
Dyann rated it it was ok
Jul 08, 2013
Charlotte Nydegger
Charlotte Nydegger rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2016
Mabs
Mabs marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2007
Alanna
Alanna marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2010
Scoozer
Scoozer marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2010
Stuart Thom
Stuart Thom marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2012
Jayson
Jayson added it
Oct 01, 2012
Helen
Helen marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2013
Eliza
Eliza marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2013
Corinne
Corinne marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2013
Bryan Pope
Bryan Pope marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Ana
Ana is currently reading it
Jul 11, 2015
Cathy
Cathy marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Sandra
Sandra added it
Jan 16, 2016
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Lars Moastuen
Lars Moastuen is currently reading it
Jun 30, 2016
Eileen McMaster
Eileen McMaster marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016