Start by marking “Harriet Beecher Stowe and the Beecher Preachers” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
Harriet Beecher Stowe ...

Jean Fritz

Harriet Beecher Stowe and the Beecher Preachers

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Harriet Beecher Stowe grew up in a family in which her seven brothers were expected to be successful preachers and the four girls were never to speak in public. But slavery made Harriet so angry she couldn't keep quiet. Although she used a pen rather than her voice to convince people of the evils of slavery, she became more famous than any of her brothers. She firmly belie ...more
Published November 1st 1998 by Perfection Learning (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Harriet Beecher Stowe and the Beecher Preachers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harriet Beecher Stowe and the Beecher Preachers

Celestia
This book is so inspiring. What pluck and determination Harriet had. I feel more inspired by Harriet's example to become a writer. Fritz has a gift for telling stories and getting to the essence of the story.
Bhg

I'm not a fan of Fritz. She is an admirer of Rousseau's notion that morality is rooted in neither reason or revelation but in the natural feeling of compassion. Fritz's claim that Harriet's compassion is the primary motivation in writing Uncle Tom's Cabin's doesn't jibe with the Know-Nothing views she absorbed at her father's knees. Ignoring those views don't mean they exist.

Who can admire a writer who writes such anthropopathistic nonsense: "But now the country itself took a hand in determini

Ginger
For anyone who has read Uncle Tom’s Cabin or even learned about the novel’s role in inspiring feelings which brought on the Civil War, this book brings to life the little lady that wrote such an influential book.

I always find it fascinating to read about the childhood of individuals that have changed history. The influence of the parents, in this case the father, was so important. Even though he was overly severe all of his children followed in his footsteps by wanting to influence others. One
Marissa Gunter
Harriet Beecher Stowe was raised in a family where her seven brothers were expected to be preachers and the girls were not allowed to speak in public. Slavery made Harriet very upset, and she believed that words could change things. By writing Uncle Tom's Cabin, Harriet Beecher Stowe has impacted history. I thought this book was pretty good. It helped me to learn things about Harriet Beecher Stowe that I had never known before.
Maria
I read this because my daughter is doing a history project on a historical figure from the Civil War period. I don't think she could have picked a better subject. The book is written for teens and is fabulous -- not condescending or over-simplified. Wish I had had such books when I was in Jr. High.

I plan to read other books on Stowe after this; a great introduction!
Dena
I've never known much about this woman and this biography was so well written it was nearly like reading a novel. I wouldn't mind finding others that she's written. Harriet Beecher Stowe was a fascinating woman of her time who tried to balance being a godly wife and mother with feeling called to speak out in love against slavery.
Dexter/Persy
Mildly interesting, and it does make me understand the Civil War era much more than I used to, but seeing as I don't really like Harriet Beecher Stowe, I didn't really enjoy Harriet Beecher Stoe And The Beecher Preachers.

But well written and very informative, so it's not bad.
Analee
This was a young adult or middle school book but it was just what I needed to get a general view of Harriet and her family. It didn't gloss over the depression of family members and included the suicide of two of her brothers.
Rebekah
This book was nothing special, but it was very informative and served its purpose to me.
Kelly Breen
Kelly Breen marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Erika Duarte
Erika Duarte marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Repunzel
Repunzel marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Brandi
Brandi added it
May 22, 2014
Rose Ann
Rose Ann marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Job78
Job78 marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Jean Fritz is a children’s author who has a fascination with writing historical fictions. She was born on November 16, 1915, in Hankow, China to missionary parents. After living in China for 13 years, Fritz and her family moved back to the United States. Beginning her career with an English degree, Fritz became an award-winning and respected author. She has received an honor for every book that sh ...more
More about Jean Fritz...
Homesick: My Own Story The Cabin Faced West And Then What Happened, Paul Revere? What's The Big Idea, Ben Franklin? Can't You Make Them Behave, King George?