Start by marking “No One Thinks of Greenland: A Novel” as Want to Read:
No One Thinks of Greenland: A Novel

No One Thinks of Greenland: A Novel

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  100 ratings  ·  15 reviews
“You’ll want to scratch.” These spoken words open to us the strange and beguiling world of young Rudy Spruance, forced to join the military due to a mysterious past, and sent for some inexplicable reason to a top-secret military hospital in Greenland. There he meets a wide cast of unusual and colorful characters, outcasts and rejects all; begins to fall for the commanding ...more
Published May 4th 2001 by Picador (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about No One Thinks of Greenland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No One Thinks of Greenland

Syzygous Zygote
This isn't the type of book that I normally would pick up, but Nancy Pearl recommends it in Book Lust (as well as More Book Lust), so I gave it a try, and it surprised me. While the characterization is fairly thin, Griesemer is excellent at set and setting, and I don't think that I'll forget Stark Raving Dark for a while.
Tony
I saw this book mentioned several years ago as an overlooked gem and figured I'd check it out. Ever since I flew over Greenland while en route to Iceland, the place has intrigued me, and the book's premise of a post-Korean War secret military hospital on the southern tip was intriguing. The story follows Cpl. Rudy Spruance, who steps off a plane in 1959 not really knowing where he is or why he's there. This turns out to be a classic Army snafu, as the hospital has no need for his skills as an in ...more
Lisasuej
Although it was a slow starter, I really liked this book. I think that anyone even remotely interested in the Korean War or Greenland would enjoy this book.

Here's an awesome quote:

"Now Rudy was alone. Standing among the dead. This went beyond fucking up, although that was still part of it; it also had elements of ordination and choice, of destiny and duty. We're here because we're here because we're here..."

Heck! This book is chock-full of this stuff. Read it.

BTW: This book was made into a movi
Jen
I did not love this book. Maybe it's because I just didn't get it. I read reviews that said it was Vonnegut-esque and similar to Catch-22. I can kind of see the similarities, but it wasn't funny, wasn't ironic, and just left me a little flat.

I think I like a little more closure in my stories and characters, and this one didn't wrap much up. I also know that I like more character development than what Griesemer provided.

I did finish the book, so that says something, but I think had this not bee
I do not in general enjoy reading books about war and the military because it's hard for writers to find something new to say. Griesemer, however, does manage to take a new approach to criticizing the military. This book is sort of like a melancholy Catch 22. Everyone's going crazy, but there's a moving air of sadness that permeates the book. Not exactly lighthearted, but an engrossing read. My one gripe is that the main character doesn't really have enough of a personality to justify all the th ...more
Jen
2012 AW80B - Greenland
started: 3/25/12
finished: 3/31/12

I really liked this book from the start. I wasn't really sure what to expect, and I was pleasantly surprised. It was an interesting look at what happens in an isolated community and how humanity can't always triumph over external stimuli (or lack thereof). I'm not sure who I would recommend this book to, but it was worth the read.

It was more of a 3.5-star book for me, but I'm erring on the side of giving it some additional benefit of the do
Greg
More of a transitory novel than anything else. There are several parallels to "The Thing" and "The Day the Earth stood still" - which go directly to the purpose on why Greenland, why the narrator landed there, and just plain old why (although limited in the framework of the "US Army in Korean War/50's/1960). It is a quick read; the author does keep a fast pace.
Andi
Feb 23, 2010 Andi added it
A very interesting book. I originally picked it up because of the title, "No one thinks of Greenland," which I thought was particularly hilarious. The book swung between hilarious to tragic, often times all within the space of a page. Although the book is not large, it felt very heavy to me.
Jos
While I'm neither into books about war nor conspiracy theories, Griesemer's story about a presumably existing post WWII hospital for war veterans in Greenland nonetheless managed to keep my interest. If the characters were a bit more plausible this could have gotten four stars.
Carol
I'm torn between 3 or 4 stars. This book is dark and harsh in an intriguing kind of way. I thought the scenes were well written and did a good job of creating the harsh atmosphere of the setting as well as the uncomfortable subject matter.
Phil
A thoroughly enjoyable book. It takes us to an unusual place, with great characters,and a really unique and creative story line. I would not hesitate to recommend this book.
Dee
This was one strange book and it just might be possible that a place like this does or did exist. It is also notable for it's great first line.
Tim
Reminiscent of "Catch-22," which I didn't like. This is better, though not as good as Griesemer's subsequent "Signal & Noise."
Elaine
This is an ok book. I found it a fast read but not a very engaging read though.
Alexis
No-one Thinks of Greenland by John Griesemer (2002)
Alison Stackpole
Alison Stackpole marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Becky
Becky marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Moira Mcglynn
Moira Mcglynn marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Whitney Garrett
Whitney Garrett marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Mafs Gonzalez
Mafs Gonzalez marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Christopher Maranan
Christopher Maranan marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
  • Biggest Elvis
  • After Life
  • Lost
  • Winter Journey
  • The Werewolf of Bamberg (US Edition) (The Hangman's Daughter Book 5)
  • The Persian Bride
  • Lost Geography
  • Tsotsi
  • The Evolution Man: Or, How I Ate My Father
  • Love-Letters Between a Nobleman and His Sister
Signal & Noise Roy Auf Dem Dach: Storys Herzschlag The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, February 1991