Start by marking “The Black Stallion and Flame (The Black Stallion, #15)” as Want to Read:
The Black Stallion and Flame (The Black Stallion, #15)

The Black Stallion and Flame (The Black Stallion #15)

4.07  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,430 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
While flying to a race, Alec Ramsay and the Black’s plane crash-lands in the stormy Caribbean. Chance brings the Black to the hidden island home of the giant red stallion, Flame. Such a small island can only support one alpha male. But before the two can fight–a fight that can only result in the death of one–a new danger appears. Together, can the stallions defeat the dead ...more
Published November 19th 1991 by Yearling (first published January 1st 1960)

To ask other readers questions about The Black Stallion and Flame, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Stallion and Flame

Black Beauty by Anna SewellThe Black Stallion by Walter FarleyKing of the Wind by Marguerite HenryMisty of Chincoteague by Marguerite HenrySeabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand
Horse Books/Novels
98th out of 843 books — 518 voters
Black Beauty by Anna SewellKing of the Wind by Marguerite HenryThe Black Stallion by Walter FarleyMisty of Chincoteague by Marguerite HenryComing Home by Lauren Brooke
Horse Lover's Literature
49th out of 417 books — 142 voters

More lists with this book...

Melody
Sep 04, 2012 Melody rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: never-again
9/2012 Oh, man. I re-read this before I noticed it was on my never-again shelf. Seriously: never again! This one is crammed full of cliches and ridiculousness. Stay away.

8/2011 Didn't hold up so well, sadly. A rabid vampire bat? Rilly? *sigh* So many things wrong here, starting with the bat's behaviour. No, no, no!

All the Flame books disappointed me this go-round, and they won't be staying on the shelf any longer.
Mirrani
Aug 17, 2014 Mirrani rated it really liked it
I was never a fan of Flame's books. The first one was okay, but after that things kind of went far down hill. That said, I think of this one more as the Black's story than Flame's. Still, there comes a time when enough is enough and you have to say we've visited the island for the last time, otherwise the getting there feels a little forced. I don't have much trouble getting past that in this book, though. Even though it is a little contrived, the action moves along and we get to imagine the thi ...more
Quadragon27
Still trying to decide exactly what I think about this book. It has the problem that a lot of the other Black Stallion books seem to have, which is sometimes I feel like the author is running out of ideas. In this case I was frustrated that he felt the need to once again have the Black and Alec involved in a plane crash, although I realize it was just a plot device to bring the Black together with the wild Flame. From there he introduces the conflicts in the story: Alec looking for his horse, a ...more
Christine
Dec 12, 2014 Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recently found this book among my childhood keepsakes. In rereading it again 40+ years later It obviously doesn't hold up to the same level of entertainment it did as a young girl. An apparent favorite, if I had reviewed it then, I no doubt would have given it 5 stars.
Jessica Timmons
Jul 30, 2011 Jessica Timmons rated it it was amazing
Sarah McC
Aug 12, 2012 Sarah McC rated it it was ok
And finally, what you’ve all been waiting for: THE BLACK AND FLAME MEET! [dramatic music]

So seriously, I’m beginning to think that Farley was very bored of writing these stories. He really seems to have gone off the deep end. At least there were no extraterrestrials this time. Instead, he incorporates a plane wreck, the idea that the Black would bypass multiple islands and instead find the secret hidden sea entrance of Flame’s island, a rabid vampire bat, and the mysterious beyond-comprehension
Wendy
Aug 23, 2015 Wendy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horses-fiction
Um, a vampire bat. And a plane crash into the ocean.

Some of this was just...not really...likely. I don't want to say it's implausible or that it couldn't have happened, because it could have, stranger things have happened, it's just highly unlikely. I wish he would have found a more...realistic, though I hesitate to use the term, way of bringing the two together for the first time.

I did believe Flame and the Black teaming up against the bat because even in animals, a common enemy is a uniting fo
Rena Sherwood
I suppose it was inevitable for Walter Farley to have his two most famous creations -- the Black Stallion and the Island Stallion -- meet in not one, but two books, where the stallions compete in the two things they are best at -- fighting and racing. Here is the fighting challenge book.

I absolutely adored this book as a kid, but as an adult I cannot help but wince at how Farley turned the series into a caricature of itself. Here's another plane crash, another stallion fight, yada yada. And, to
Miriam Cook
Sep 22, 2015 Miriam Cook rated it it was amazing
Walter Farley is a great author and makes the Black Stallion books great. The black has seen Flame before but now they meet and what a meet it is. This book kept me reading and guessing. It will captivate you and hold you till the end. Another great by Mr. Farley. Recommended for anyone who loves the Black Stallion series.
A.X. Rhodes
Mar 28, 2016 A.X. Rhodes rated it liked it
I don't know how Farley kept all of these horse stories so interesting. Another good Stallion book.
Marie
Sep 03, 2014 Marie rated it really liked it
Read this as a child and enjoyed the experience all over again!
Lynne Stringer
It can get tricky when a writer decides to combine two favourite horses from slightly different worlds. It was still enjoyable though, although not as much as others in the series. I could sense Mr Farley's frustration in deciding how to end it by the way Alec talks about the race at the end.
Serena
Feb 16, 2016 Serena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, adventure

My Rating System:
Ruth
Apr 24, 2009 Ruth rated it it was amazing
Ohh, I loved this book as an 11 year old. I even wrote an (in retrospect) extremely amatuerish fanfiction for it, back before fanfiction.net even existed... The idea of the Black and Flame squaring off in a fight tickled me...
Sharon
Jan 09, 2010 Sharon rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood, horses
I raced through this series as a child. Of course, "The Black Stallion" was my favorite, and I read it a few times, but I waited eagerly for any of the books to return to my branch of the library so I could snap them up.
Bonnie
Jul 26, 2011 Bonnie rated it did not like it
Totally ridiculous. I'm amazed at how hot and cold this series runs as I've journeyed on my re-read. The Black and Flame "team up" (no joke) to fight off a rabid vampire bat (again, no joke). Stupid book.
Phair
Sep 07, 2009 Phair rated it liked it
Shelves: horse-books
Found my diary from 1962 with a list of books read complete with ratings. Alas, no comments. I recall spending my allowance buying every Farley book I could find. Still have many.
Lori
Mar 04, 2011 Lori rated it it was ok
The first book was the story of a boy and a horse, but the series grows with books on similar themes of overcoming adversity and animal/human bonding. Loved them as a kid.
Kristal
Jun 30, 2009 Kristal rated it liked it
One of my mom's friends had found this book and gave it to me to read because she knew I liked horses. I think I will reread this book again sometime.
Abigail
Jan 31, 2013 Abigail rated it really liked it
I think this book was really good(Along with other of Walter Farleys books) But I like some of the other black stallion books better....
Still A favorite!!
Cheryl Rodrigues
The very first book I bought in the series through scholastic books via school. After I got it I found out it was part of a set and the rest is history lol.
Ashlyn
Dec 17, 2011 Ashlyn rated it it was amazing
this book is pretty good. i read it while i was young so it was kind of slow.. but it so good!!!!
Jackie Krasuski
There was not a Black Stallion book that I could ever put down. The stories are the best.
Charles
Jul 25, 2010 Charles rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
I loved this one because it brought the two great horses together in the wild.
Robin
May 05, 2009 Robin rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I always thought the meeting between these two stallions would be better.
Isabella
Jan 06, 2012 Isabella rated it liked it
It is a good book.Sometimes it is confusing.Other wise a good book to read.
Barb
Aug 02, 2011 Barb added it
a classic from my childhood, and then to my own children
Jessica
Feb 09, 2011 Jessica rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: horse lovers
Recommended to Jessica by: me
See the first book in the series for a full review.
Stacy
Mar 27, 2010 Stacy rated it really liked it
I read all the Black Stallion books in middle school.
  • Born to Trot
  • The Black Stallion's Steeplechaser (Black Stallion Returns, #2)
  • Thunderhead (Flicka, #2)
  • Old Bones the Wonder Horse
  • Outlaw Red
  • Pride's Challenge (Thoroughbred, #9)
  • Gypsy from Nowhere (Gypsy, #1)
Walter Farley's love for horses began when he was a small boy living in Syracuse, New York, and continued as he grew up in New York City, where his family moved. Young Walter never owned a horse. But unlike most city children, he had little trouble gaining firsthand experience with horses-his uncle was a professional horseman, and Walter spent much of his time at the stables with him.

"He wasn't th
More about Walter Farley...

The Black Stallion (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #1)
  • The Black Stallion Returns (The Black Stallion, #2)
  • Son of the Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #3)
  • The Island Stallion (The Black Stallion, #4)
  • The Black Stallion and Satan (The Black Stallion, #5)
  • The Black Stallion's Blood Bay Colt (The Black Stallion, #6)
  • The Island Stallion's Fury (The Black Stallion, #7)
  • The Black Stallion's Filly (The Black Stallion, #8)
  • The Black Stallion Revolts (The Black Stallion, #9)
  • The Black Stallion's Sulky Colt (The Black Stallion, #10)