Start by marking “Superman: End of the Century (Superman)” as Want to Read:
Superman: End of the Century (Superman)

Superman: End of the Century (Superman)

As the century draws to an end, a mysterious killing force suddenly plagues Metropolis. Unaware of who or what is on the rampage, Superman and Lois Lane launch an investigation that uncovers an amazing revelation: the destructive entity unleashed on the city is the son of Lex Luthor's ex-wife, the enigmatic Contessa. Now, to stem the tide of a bloody massacre, Superman ...more
Published January 1st 2000 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Superman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Superman

StoryTellerShannon
The story opens with Lex Luthor having a newborn child that his ex-wife wants to take away from him. From there we deal with the backstories which are the most interesting panels of this graphic novel. In many ways it is advertised as a Superman story but the main character is really Luthor and the enmity formed between himself and his ex spouse.

The artwork was also impressive enough. I liked how the backstory was in practical black and white panels even though it was more of a very light shade
M
Apr 17, 2016 M rated it it was ok
Superman tackles the remnants of a previous century while preparing for a new one in this original tale from Stuart Immonen. Set in the closing days of 1999, the book opens with a doomed ship on Caribbean waters. Having left an ancient evil buried for centuries, a team of divers unearthing the wreck drags a trio of immortals into the world of Superman. One is the femme fatale known as the Contessa, who seeks to reclaim her infant child from former husband Lex Luthor. Another is the imprisoned ...more
Mark
Aug 06, 2012 Mark rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
The art and storytelling are pretty good but I find the story itself somewhat lacking.

This is a Superman book but the story is dominated by Lex Luthor's immortal wife and her sadistic immortal son who seem to belong to a completely different world. Superman, Louis Lane and even Lex's roles are so diminished and so far removed from the central plot, it really shouldn't be a Superman book.
Jim
Rats. I picked this up from the library thinking it was an Elseworlds title.

It was somewhat interesting, if a bit involved. Maybe I would have been more into it if I had known why Luthor had a baby. When did this happen? The turn of the century idea - going back and forth between 1900 and 2000 was creative, but didn't ultimately deliver.
Ryan Haupt
Mar 14, 2010 Ryan Haupt rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this more than I could. Immonen's art is, as always, excellent, but I couldn't get lost in the story. It seemed convoluted and none of the characters were ever fleshed out enough that I could really follow their motivations and actions with any clarity. I'll still read anything Immonen draws, but may be wary of the things he writes for now. As Superman oft says, "I hate magic."
Gavin
Jan 23, 2013 Gavin rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
An enjoyable Superman/Lex story in which they're borderline friendly with each other. As the millenium approaches, Lex is uncovering strange things on an archaeological dig, which will have ramefications for everyone involved.
Mike Jensen
Feb 29, 2012 Mike Jensen rated it liked it
Fun, short graphic novel about what Superman's life might have been like had he come to earth 38 years earlier. Probably for fans only, but fans will probably like it.
Victor Orozco
May 07, 2015 Victor Orozco rated it liked it
Interesting look into one of Lex's wives, particularly with the approach of the new millenium. Still it doesn't generate too much. In some places it was mostly very slow for me.

C+
John Yelverton
Apr 28, 2012 John Yelverton rated it really liked it
This book pretty much limps through all the untied story lines from the previous 15 years and tries to tie them up in pretty little bows to limited success.
Harold Neighbors
Harold Neighbors rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2009
Emmett Spain
Emmett Spain rated it it was ok
Sep 07, 2009
Ari Chand
Ari Chand rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Orestes
Orestes rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2012
Kimberlee
Kimberlee rated it really liked it
Feb 26, 2009
Eddie
Eddie rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2008
Charlie
Charlie rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Dedefox
Dedefox rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2012
Laurel Narizny
Laurel Narizny rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2013
Jesse Bray
Jesse Bray rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2015
Nick
Nick rated it it was ok
Feb 07, 2015
Marcio
Marcio rated it liked it
May 24, 2016
Dan Smith
Dan Smith rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2015
Mike
Mike rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2009
Corey
Corey rated it it was ok
Jan 31, 2011
Rodolfo
Rodolfo rated it it was ok
Oct 09, 2009
Awehla
Awehla rated it it was ok
May 03, 2009
Joshua Strasburg
Joshua Strasburg rated it it was ok
Nov 10, 2011
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2009
Mindstateless
Mindstateless rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2016