The Storm Dragon's Heart

The Storm Dragon's Heart (Storm Phase #1)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  91 ratings  ·  22 reviews
STORM PHASE
A teenage wizard burdened with a mysterious destiny, a cat-girl ninja he can't help but fall for, and a bat-winged daemon that doubles as a diary embark on a journey of self-discovery in a world teeming with monsters and magic. Perfect for fans of Percy Jackson and Avatar: the Last Airbender, this enchanting Asian-inspired fantasy series delivers fast-paced adve...more
Published August 2nd 2011 by Typing Cat Press (first published August 1st 2011)

Brandi
Turesobei isn't an ordinary teenager. While other boys in his clan have time to themselves, he trains constantly as the High Wizard's (his grandfather's) apprentice. To top it off, his father is always away on business, and he's engaged to a girl he hardly knows.

When his father takes him on a mysterious quest, Turesobei finally starts to find meaning in his life. For the first time, he can use his magical skills to protect others. His lessons with his grandfather weren't a waste of time after al...more
Kitty Bullard
Book Title: "The Storm Dragon's Heart"
Author: David Alastair Hayden
Published By: Typing Cat Press
Age Recommended: 10 +
Reviewed By: Kitty Bullard
Raven Rating: 5

Review: A young wizard's apprentice Turesobei is bored with learning the ways of magic, tired of the lessons his elder is trying to teach him and wishes for high adventure. When he ends up getting his wish however, he realizes that sometimes it's far better to be happy with what you have than what you have no idea about.

I greatly enjoyed t...more
Dawn Vallack
Yet another book by David A Hayden that I couldn't put down. It gripped me from the start and truly made me resent intrusions from the real work like having to eat and sleep that took me away from reading it. Bravo!
Ian
A very fun, quick read, with some minor grammar and pacing issues. The main character, Turesobei, is about 15 years old, and this book is perfectly suited for a boy that age with just the right amount of adventure, mystery, and romance to keep a early to mid teenager interested. Very cool world designed around East Asian motifs and themes that could be used to encourage someone to learn more about the history of that area. I found myself flying through the pages, very interested in where Hayden...more
Wensday
When I read the description of the book I felt it would be a rehash of other young adult books, but was pleased that it is not. I give the book a 4 rating as it was entertaining and moved along. The downside is that it seems that it could have been edited better in cleaning up and tightening the story. The book is meant for ages 10 and up and I feel that a glossary is needed for the who/what/where of the book as characters and places get confusing.
Kazoa
I was clearly taken away from the beginning. It was an easy book to read, fast-paced, and filled with unforgettable characters. I couldn't stop reading until I was done. This book is filled with magic, sorcery, action, and romance. I enjoyed reading every bit of this book and so will anyone who wish to read this book.
Jorie
A MUST READ!!!!!!!!!! Amazing book, could not put the book down and then when I had to, just could not get it off my mind and wanted to run back to it. !! Looking forward to getting my hands on other books by this author!
Pepper Thorn
An awkward teen-age wizard on the biggest adventure of his life. A quest through a deep, exotic jungles for a powerful magical artifact. A insanely jelous rival and a ninja cat-girl. Honestly, who could ask for more?
Richard
In full disclosure I received a free eBook edition of this book in exchange for an honest review.

One of the great things about this fantasy book is that it is based on an Eastern/Japanese culture. This makes it much more original then many other fantasy novels.

In the first quarter to third of the book there is not much action, but a lot of world building and character introduction. Personally I didn’t find this a problem as it was very interesting, especially considering the originality of much...more
Beth
Turesobei is a 14 year old high wizard apprentice. He is tired of his set training schedule and the lack of freedom being the next High Wizard affords him. He is promised to marry a girl who seems to hate him and is generally unhappy with his current lot in life.

Turesobei dreams of adventures of his own. A mysterious book, enchanted with an unusual being finds its way into Turesobei’s possession.

Noboro, Turesobei father, returns home with visions of finding a great and ancient evil, The Storm...more
Tom
I read this as an e-book that the author was kind enough to send me for free. It was my first e-book I have ever read, and I'm glad it was the first.

The story revolves around a young man named Turosobei, who is training to become the High Wizard of his clan, the Chonda. He ends up going on what is supposed to be a mission to help his father, but finds his magic skills tested to their limits in what was supposed to be a quiet trip to give him some life experience and see more of the surrounding l...more
Scott
The Storm Dragon's Heart tells the story of Turesobei, a young man who is being forced into a life he isn't sure about. With his family and his level of talent he is destined to be the next high wizard for his clan, but the constant studying of the magic as well as all of his other obligations are making him question his fate.

The story is a pretty good one, especially for young adults, with a lot of action and some very good characters. Sobei could be a spoiled whiny brat from living his life o...more
Joe Kendall
This book was very good. I don't read many books with Asian backgrounds so it took a little bit to get use to it. But the magic/wizard theory worked very well and the main characters were very likable. It was an easy read, but I was hoping for that in this book. Sobei's progression through the story from young, stubborn, arrogant kid to young adult was very smooth and believable. All the characters grew throughout the story well. The final battle sequence was very good and Sobei's survival was n...more
Joan Johnson
Good Story

This book contains a different story line and setting than I have read before. Most fantasies are based on Great Britain/European history or folklore. Hayden based his book on Far Eastern/Japanese folklore/history/cultural mores. I recommend this book! I plan to buy and read the full series.
Resistance is Futile
Turesobei is the High Wizard-in-waiting for the Chondra tribe, but he dreams of dropping his boring lessons and going on adventures with his father. Then he is given his chance: his father takes him on a quest to retrieve an ancient and powerful artifact that is also being sought by a dangerous cult. Turesobei must learn to be an independent wizard and to trust his companions on this dangerous mission. The Storm Dragon's Heart is a good-old classic high fantasy for children. It was cute and fun,...more
Melissa
I won this book from the goodreads giveaways program. Sassy Ninja Cat-Girl? Yes, please ^_^ Decent story and definitely a fast read. I'm sure the chapters are so short since it is intended for age 10+, but it was a little weird having 54 chapters in 233 pages... I feel like this story left a lot of unanswered questions that implies a sequel. Lu Bei was an adorable, unique addition to the story that I wish had more significance, perhaps in the next book? The ending was a little disappointing, tho...more
Andrew Rose
A great new YA Series

In the tradition of The Lightning Thief, only with a more Asian flavor, The Storm Dragon's Heart is a story about courage and strength. A good fun read that can be enjoyed by younger readers and Adults alike. If you like Harry Potter try this book.
Holly
Totally cute YA fantasy. The genre is not my bag usually, but this is well done. Zips right along with a clever plot and characters that are familiar but not cliche.
Kelly
pretty good but not full version only got hold of chapters 1 - 31
Alina

What an amazing book. I read it on Wattpad and loved it.
Maree Berends
I expected more from this book than I got. There are numerous errors throughout the book that are quite distracting to the actual plot and character developments. expression and punctuation are poor and left me feeling unsure of what the author was trying to say. I think two stars is generous for something that is a year 7 standard more likened to a school essay for a first time literature venture.
John Weeden
Usually when a book in this genre caters a younger audience, it is a chore to go on. But this was a pleasant surprise.
Ronee Chandler
Ronee Chandler marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Tamara
Tamara marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Tashia Jennings
Tashia Jennings marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Ronel
Ronel marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Tami Yates
Tami Yates marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
  • Princess Rose and the Crystal Castle
  • Aaron & Keja: Time Dragon
  • The Five Elements (The Alchemancer: Book One)
  • The Rock of Ivanore (Celestine Chronicles, #1)
  • The Black God's War (Splendor and Ruin, #1)
  • The Wizard of Time (Wizard of Time, #1)
  • The Lost Heir (The Gryphon Chronicles, #1)
  • 13 on Halloween (Shadow, #1)
  • The Hammer of Thor (80AD, # 2)
  • The Specials
  • The Fall of Ossard (Ossard Trilogy, #1)
  • L'Envol du Dragon Rouge
  • Prepare
  • Blue Moon Rising (The Patroness, #1)
  • Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy, #1)
  • Alice Parker's Metamorphosis (Alice Parker, #1)
  • The Brotherhood of Dwarves (The Brotherhood of Dwarves, #1)
  • The Gaia Wars (Gaia Wars, #1)
David Alastair Hayden scribbles and podcasts tales of fantasy adventure for young and adult readers. He lives in Alabama, along with his delightful wife and three lovely cats.

David studied history, literature, and religion at the University of Alabama. He practices Yang Taijiquan, and he enjoys playing and designing roleplaying games.

David is also an avid collector of vintage manual typewriters,...more
More about David Alastair Hayden...
Wrath of the White Tigress: A Tale of Pawan Kor Lair of the Deadly Twelve (Storm Phase #2) The Forbidden Library (Storm Phase #3) Who Walks in Flame Chains of a Dark Goddess