Start by marking “The Black Stallion Returns (The Black Stallion, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Black Stallion Returns (The Black Stallion, #2)

The Black Stallion Returns (The Black Stallion #2)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  9,919 ratings  ·  86 reviews
In this, the second book in the series, the heart-stopping adventures of the Black Stallion continue as Alec discovers that two men are after the Black. One claims to be the Black’s rightful owner and one is trying to kill the beautiful steed. An Arab chieftain proves his ownership of the Black and takes him away, but Alec is determined to find his horse again. Following t ...more
Published August 20th 1991 by Yearling (first published 1945)

To ask other readers questions about The Black Stallion Returns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Stallion Returns

Charlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettThe Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe by C.S. LewisAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryLittle Women by Louisa May Alcott
Favorite books from my childhood
350th out of 3,176 books — 6,046 voters
The Black Stallion by Walter FarleyBlack Beauty by Anna SewellKing of the Wind by Marguerite HenryMisty of Chincoteague by Marguerite HenryA Horse Called Wonder by Joanna Campbell
Best Horse Fiction
15th out of 245 books — 102 voters

More lists with this book...

Josephine
Some kids books I can come back to, but not this one, alas.

Seventy years on, there've been more than a few societal changes in regards how members of non-mainstream culture are portrayed. Not completely perfect, mind. Even today, sadly, I'm sure there are people who'd wonder about the propriety of offering an Arab cold ham salad. (though in fairness, Farley didn't specify the character's religion. He might not be an observant Muslim.) There's a minor character in The Black Stallion who is a miss
Gale
BRED FOR BATTLE OR FOR RACING

After a mysterious attempt on the Black's life by an unknown one-armed assassin, Alec is shocked to meet an Arab sheik who claims to be the true owner. Regretfully surrendering the horse he has trained and loves dearly, Alec expects to spend a gloomy summer before his senior year. Conveniently for all concerned racing owner, Mr. Volence, agrees to take both trainer, Henry and the devoted youth abroad to seek better bloodlines for his stables--and incidentally search
Mirrani
This book was written with more than a love of horses in mind, it also includes an interesting look into history and gives us a glance into the Arabian culture that modern books tend to completely disregard. Before the days when you would hop on a plane to cross the ocean, back when horse racing was truly the sport of kings, one boy went with his friends on a journey around the world to reunite with his horse. This is the story of Alec and the Black, continued with perfection. You can almost fee ...more
Melissa
The Black Stallion series is one that is known to many. The story of a boy, shipwrecked with a wild horse who becomes his friend, captures the heart of many. This book, The Black Stallion Returns, is the second in the series. You don't necessarily have to read the first book before this one, but it does help to read it for background, so I recommend going in order.

Alec has had quite a shake up. First someone tries to kill the Black Stallion, and then, just hours later, his real owner shows up to
Juli
Continues the story of the Black as Alec travels to his home in the desert. This the first time I've read this since I was maybe 11 or 12, and I'd forgotten how much I learned about how people traveled (by flying boat or boat plane, then by camel caravan across the desert), about religion (details about the daily call to prayer), and about the culture of the desert nomad and the importance of their horses in their culture. Loved every minute.
Sarah Adamson
This book didn't attract me as much when I was a child although I enjoyed it. It lacks more of the horse and has more of an adventure story. Now that I can view it as that I like it more. The tale starts with an attempted assassination of the Black and Alec losing his beloved horse to an Arabic chieftain. Alec adventures across the world with some fascinating details of their travelling in order to find the Black.
Alexandra Lindner
I love not only this book but the whole black stallion series
Dolly
The girls and I enjoyed the second book in the Black Stallion series. We continued our creative license of making Alex into Alice so that the lead character was a girl, and other than the constant cognitive load it put on mommy to make the appropriate pronoun switches, it was totally seamless in the plot. There were a couple of moments of violence that I softened, just because we're queasy in that department, but other than that, the girls particularly enjoyed the suspense aspects of what turned ...more
Karalynn
Another great book in the series!
Faithann
Far better than the movie!!!
Lori
This book developed too slowly for me until 3/4 of the way through when the danger increased. Then it actually became a page turner.
Pet peeve: How many times did I have to say "Abu Ja Kub Ben Ishak"? Could this man not have an acceptable last name? A nickname? In the very beginning, it seems to be okay to call him Abu Ishak. But then every single mention is a five word name that one must pronounce in one's head...until...
Suddenly his name is shortened THREE PAGES BEFORE THE END. Painful. simply
Dark-Draco
A quick trip into childhood by returning to the Black Stallion books. This story was kind of inevitable - the real owner of the Black turns up and takes him back to Arabia. But Alec, Henry and Mr. Valence, a racehorse breeder, decide to travel out there to see him. They get lost in the desert, caught up in a tribal war and Alec ends up riding in a high stakes race - a brilliant plot for a children's story. Yes, as an adult its very easy to sneer at it, but the inner child in me loved it - a grea ...more
Kim
Mar 04, 2015 Kim rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kim by: rocky j adkins public library/sycamore community library
this was printed in 1945 was the 16th printing
Bonnie
Love the original book (despite, as an adult, picking up on a lot more technical things that really annoy me) and still found the second book in the series (The Black Stallion Returns) to be a bit duller, hard to keep the momentum of the first book going, and generally disappointing since, in the end, the boy doesn't get the girl...er, the horse. I remember it being one of my least favorite in the series and it still is, apparently.
Elizabeth Green
Similar to the legend of Frank Hopkins in Hidalgo, Alec and The Black run a long distance race across the Arabian Desert. At stake is the ownership of The Black.
Walter Farley is a very talented writer. You can tell that he knows his stuff when it comes to horses. His characters and plots are also well developed. His books are ones that are geared toward children, but are written with such class that adults can enjoy them as well.
Wendy
This one was kind of depressing. The Black's rightful owner comes to claim him, and in the end, (view spoiler). Still, the other parts were pretty good. Raj was nice, and Alec taking part in the race to help out the Black's owner was good of him, and I even ended up liking the Black's owner. The action is solid and somewhat exciting, but it's all overshadowed by the depressing bits of it.
Lindy
Sep 28, 2009 Lindy marked it as to-read
Starts slowly, Abbi couldn't get in to it. But I just read a review that said it picks up so I think I will read to her for the first few chapters that are more boring and then she will naturally take over as she becomes more interested.

Update: Abbi read it and her only comment was a monotone, "It wasn't as good as the Black Stallion." Still trying to decide if I want to try it or not.
Soham Gupta
This is a great book, better than the first and it is full of emotion and excitement. It is a story of how Alec loses his beloved horse and how he travels half the world to find him. A tale of loyalty and courage and even conflict, as two Bedouin families go to war...
This is a great read, and it will keep you entertained for a very long time.
Gabrielle Eaton
This book is a complete thrill! Will this Black Stallion be stranded forever away with these indians? Or will h.is beloved owner come to his rescue his horse The Black. This indian teaches Alec the way to the Black or should we call him his other name from the indians. So find out for yourself in the Black Stallion Returns
Laurie D'ghent
I checked this out from the library because I thought it might have been written by a different person that the first book, but it's not. I don't like books where animals get hurt, even if everything turns out right in the end. I tried this anyway, and on the second page it talks of a man's groin. Ew. I'm done.
Anna duaman
i should commend the author here, for he has a great knowledge about horses to be able to write a great book like this. i've been using this book to my projects, actually.

the book tells much about the culture of Arabia since the characters have embarked an adventure towards southwest Asia from U.S.
Patricia J. O'Brien
When I was a kid I read tons of horse books, so when Kindle had The Black Stallion Returns on sale I had to buy it. As an adult writer/reader I have a few quibbles, but I still love the adventure, the travel, the suspense, and, most of all, the love of horses that fill this book.
Callie Kolterman
This was a really good book. Walter Farley is a terrific author. He builds up so much suspense you think you know what's going to happen and then the opposite occurs. The emotion that you can feel between the love of a boy and a horse is so immense it made me want to cry sometimes.
Melody
A surprisingly even-handed treatment of the Middle East, written so long ago that getting there from New York took 6 days by plane. Heart-pounding excitement, the most wonderful horses ever, and a deeply satisfying conclusion. There's a reason that this is still the horse series.
Ashlyn
ooh it was just great i hate how sad it was though.Alec and The Black were seperated and it made me think of my favorite song. The song is kind of sad so i kept thinking of it........... I really thought he would get to keep the horse. I AM SO UPSET :(

Lynne Stringer
While not as engaging as its predecessor, it was still enjoyable. Although I'm not expert, I'm guessing Walter Farley did considerable research when it came to the middle eastern parts. An entertaining read, just not when compared with book one.
Travis
For some reason, this is the only book of this series I ever read. Not sure why.
Decent 'boys own' adventure about a boy, his horse, a greedy sheik and a race through the desert. Decent little adventure with likable heroes.
Sharon
I raced through this series as a child. Of course, "The Black Stallion" was my favorite, and I read it a few times, but I waited eagerly for any of the books to return to my branch of the library so I could snap them up.
Anie
How I loved this whole series when I was little, and this installment in particular. It's got some good mystery, and it's just fun---especially for a horse-loving little girl.

First read: 28 August 2011.
Melinda
May 18, 2008 Melinda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: horse-crazy kids
Book two of sheer heaven for a horse-crazy girl. I bought my copy of this book at the jr. high booksale. In the end, I read all the stories of The Black and his progeny that I could get my hands on!
  • Born to Trot
  • Thunderhead (Flicka, #2)
  • The Black Stallion's Shadow (Black Stallion Returns, #1)
  • Wonder's First Race (Thoroughbred, #3)
  • Irish Red
Walter Farley's love for horses began when he was a small boy living in Syracuse, New York, and continued as he grew up in New York City, where his family moved. Young Walter never owned a horse. But unlike most city children, he had little trouble gaining firsthand experience with horses-his uncle was a professional horseman, and Walter spent much of his time at the stables with him.

"He wasn't th
More about Walter Farley...

The Black Stallion (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #1)
  • Son of the Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #3)
  • The Island Stallion (The Black Stallion, #4)
  • The Black Stallion and Satan (The Black Stallion, #5)
  • The Black Stallion's Blood Bay Colt (The Black Stallion, #6)
  • The Island Stallion's Fury (The Black Stallion, #7)
  • The Black Stallion's Filly (The Black Stallion, #8)
  • The Black Stallion Revolts (The Black Stallion, #9)
  • The Black Stallion's Sulky Colt (The Black Stallion, #10)
  • The Island Stallion Races (The Black Stallion, #11)
The Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #1) The Island Stallion (The Black Stallion, #4) Man O'War Son of the Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #3) The Black Stallion and Satan (The Black Stallion, #5)