Start by marking “The Black Stallion Returns (The Black Stallion, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Black Stallion Returns (The Black Stallion, #2)

The Black Stallion Returns (The Black Stallion #2)

4.16  ·  Rating Details ·  12,228 Ratings  ·  125 Reviews
In this, the second book in the series, the heart-stopping adventures of the Black Stallion continue as Alec discovers that two men are after the Black. One claims to be the Black’s rightful owner and one is trying to kill the beautiful steed. An Arab chieftain proves his ownership of the Black and takes him away, but Alec is determined to find his horse again. Following t ...more
Published August 20th 1991 by Yearling (first published 1945)

To ask other readers questions about The Black Stallion Returns, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Stallion Returns

Trish
Mar 20, 2017 Trish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just like the first volume, I read this a looong time ago and loved it. Now that nostalgia has me gripped firmly, I'll re-read this shortly.
Josephine
Jan 29, 2013 Josephine rated it it was ok
Shelves: library-book
Some kids books I can come back to, but not this one, alas.

Seventy years on, there've been more than a few societal changes in regards how members of non-mainstream culture are portrayed. Not completely perfect, mind. Even today, sadly, I'm sure there are people who'd wonder about the propriety of offering an Arab cold ham salad. (though in fairness, Farley didn't specify the character's religion. He might not be an observant Muslim.) There's a minor character in The Black Stallion who is a miss
Gale
May 08, 2013 Gale rated it liked it
BRED FOR BATTLE OR FOR RACING

After a mysterious attempt on the Black's life by an unknown one-armed assassin, Alec is shocked to meet an Arab sheik who claims to be the true owner. Regretfully surrendering the horse he has trained and loves dearly, Alec expects to spend a gloomy summer before his senior year. Conveniently for all concerned racing owner, Mr. Volence, agrees to take both trainer, Henry and the devoted youth abroad to seek better bloodlines for his stables--and incidentally search
Tania
Nov 13, 2009 Tania rated it it was amazing
The Black Stallion Returns is every bit as riveting as the first novel in the series. Here we find Alec and The Black resting on their laurels after their big win against Cyclone and Sun Raider. Their happily ever after is soon shattered, though, when The Black's rightful owner comes to the U.S. to claim him. That might have been the end of it, but Sun Raider's owner, Mr. Volence, appears to appeal one last time for a chance at the Black, only to find he has returned to the world he was stolen f ...more
Avery
May 28, 2015 Avery rated it it was amazing
The Black Stallion Returns is probably the BEST book in the Black Stallion Series. I would very much recommend this book to anyone who is a lover of the equines, or loves mystery and suspense. I think there was a movie of this book, and I know that there is a movie of the 1st book in the Black Stallion Series.
Here is a short summary of this AMAZING book:

After Alec and the Black (The Black Stallion) win the match race against Cyclone and Sunraider, Alec and The Black become VERY famous. Some pe
Aldi
I think this is where I'll stop rereading this series, as it's just become much too dated and Boys' Own to be much fun. It's still a good classic horse & adventure story but all the casual sexism, racism, colonialism and assorted other -isms of the time diminish its enjoyment a lot.
Julia
Apr 28, 2016 Julia added it
Continuation of the Black and Alec's adventures.
Mac Morse
Jul 01, 2017 Mac Morse rated it really liked it
I read this series, as a child. I would get heartbroken over the mistreatment and be relieved when wrong was avenged.
Susanna Grant
May 12, 2017 Susanna Grant rated it it was amazing
loved every book in this series....my best friend Laura and I couldn't read them fast enough
Melissa
Apr 17, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, animals
The Black Stallion series is one that is known to many. The story of a boy, shipwrecked with a wild horse who becomes his friend, captures the heart of many. This book, The Black Stallion Returns, is the second in the series. You don't necessarily have to read the first book before this one, but it does help to read it for background, so I recommend going in order.

Alec has had quite a shake up. First someone tries to kill the Black Stallion, and then, just hours later, his real owner shows up to
Rena Sherwood
When I was a kid, I looked favorably on people of Arab decent partly because of The Black Stallion Returns. The Arabs presented here are hard-working, courageous individuals who live in a lawless land and therefore have to meet out their own brand of justice.

Arabs were like cowboys in robes as far as I was concerned.

Now that I'm older and wiser I know that it's best to hate everyone equally. It's so much easier that way. Still, I wonder if this book has been pulled from some school library shel
Rosie Preciado
Aug 04, 2016 Rosie Preciado rated it liked it
I first read The Black Stallion (#1) way back in 4th grade. This was during my horse/animal stories phase of reading (you know, like Black Beauty and National Velvet). So naturally I enjoyed the first book about Alec and the Black. But up until now, I had no idea this was a series. I was at the library and saw these books and of course I had to read it.

This story takes place a few years after the first one. Alec thought the Black was always going to be his, but one afternoon a man arrives to tel
Mirrani
Feb 14, 2014 Mirrani rated it it was amazing
This book was written with more than a love of horses in mind, it also includes an interesting look into history and gives us a glance into the Arabian culture that modern books tend to completely disregard. Before the days when you would hop on a plane to cross the ocean, back when horse racing was truly the sport of kings, one boy went with his friends on a journey around the world to reunite with his horse. This is the story of Alec and the Black, continued with perfection. You can almost fee ...more
Lori
Dec 02, 2013 Lori rated it liked it
This book developed too slowly for me until 3/4 of the way through when the danger increased. Then it actually became a page turner.
Pet peeve: How many times did I have to say "Abu Ja Kub Ben Ishak"? Could this man not have an acceptable last name? A nickname? In the very beginning, it seems to be okay to call him Abu Ishak. But then every single mention is a five word name that one must pronounce in one's head...until...
Suddenly his name is shortened THREE PAGES BEFORE THE END. Painful. simply
Dolly
Jun 04, 2012 Dolly rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-aloud
The girls and I enjoyed the second book in the Black Stallion series. We continued our creative license of making Alex into Alice so that the lead character was a girl, and other than the constant cognitive load it put on mommy to make the appropriate pronoun switches, it was totally seamless in the plot. There were a couple of moments of violence that I softened, just because we're queasy in that department, but other than that, the girls particularly enjoyed the suspense aspects of what turned ...more
Dark-Draco
Jun 06, 2013 Dark-Draco rated it really liked it
Shelves: horsey-fiction
A quick trip into childhood by returning to the Black Stallion books. This story was kind of inevitable - the real owner of the Black turns up and takes him back to Arabia. But Alec, Henry and Mr. Valence, a racehorse breeder, decide to travel out there to see him. They get lost in the desert, caught up in a tribal war and Alec ends up riding in a high stakes race - a brilliant plot for a children's story. Yes, as an adult its very easy to sneer at it, but the inner child in me loved it - a grea ...more
Elizabeth Green
Aug 16, 2013 Elizabeth Green rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horses, children-s
Similar to the legend of Frank Hopkins in Hidalgo, Alec and The Black run a long distance race across the Arabian Desert. At stake is the ownership of The Black.
Walter Farley is a very talented writer. You can tell that he knows his stuff when it comes to horses. His characters and plots are also well developed. His books are ones that are geared toward children, but are written with such class that adults can enjoy them as well.
Juli
Jul 10, 2014 Juli rated it it was amazing
Continues the story of the Black as Alec travels to his home in the desert. This the first time I've read this since I was maybe 11 or 12, and I'd forgotten how much I learned about how people traveled (by flying boat or boat plane, then by camel caravan across the desert), about religion (details about the daily call to prayer), and about the culture of the desert nomad and the importance of their horses in their culture. Loved every minute.
Wendy
This one was kind of depressing. The Black's rightful owner comes to claim him, and in the end, (view spoiler). Still, the other parts were pretty good. Raj was nice, and Alec taking part in the race to help out the Black's owner was good of him, and I even ended up liking the Black's owner. The action is solid and somewhat exciting, but it's all overshadowed by the depressing bits of it.
Sarah Adamson
Feb 23, 2014 Sarah Adamson rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
This book didn't attract me as much when I was a child although I enjoyed it. It lacks more of the horse and has more of an adventure story. Now that I can view it as that I like it more. The tale starts with an attempted assassination of the Black and Alec losing his beloved horse to an Arabic chieftain. Alec adventures across the world with some fascinating details of their travelling in order to find the Black.
Bonnie
Jul 26, 2011 Bonnie rated it it was ok
Love the original book (despite, as an adult, picking up on a lot more technical things that really annoy me) and still found the second book in the series (The Black Stallion Returns) to be a bit duller, hard to keep the momentum of the first book going, and generally disappointing since, in the end, the boy doesn't get the girl...er, the horse. I remember it being one of my least favorite in the series and it still is, apparently.
lorraine stewart
Aug 08, 2016 lorraine stewart rated it it was amazing
This is the first book I read in the series and my favorite. I read it in Jr. high school and loved the adventure of going to another country getting lost in the desert etc . I soon discovered the first book and that I had read it in grade school under the title Big Black Horse. I have read the whole series and I still like them. They take me back to a simpler time in my life.
Rachel
Dec 29, 2016 Rachel rated it really liked it
Very, very different from the movie. Apparently I started this series on book 3 the first time around, assuming I knew the plot from the first two movies well enough. Not true. Other than the location in Arabia and the race, it's almost a completely different story. This whole series is great for any horse lover.
Lindy
Jul 24, 2009 Lindy marked it as to-read
Starts slowly, Abbi couldn't get in to it. But I just read a review that said it picks up so I think I will read to her for the first few chapters that are more boring and then she will naturally take over as she becomes more interested.

Update: Abbi read it and her only comment was a monotone, "It wasn't as good as the Black Stallion." Still trying to decide if I want to try it or not.
Janalee
May 31, 2015 Janalee rated it it was amazing
I haven't read this one since I was a kid but the nostalgia took over. Still loved it.

As some others said there have clearly been some cultural changes since these books were written, but get over and focus on the story of the love between a boy and his horse. Even if the horse doesn't technically belong to him.

I'll be re-reading the whole series again.
Gabrielle Eaton
Nov 25, 2012 Gabrielle Eaton rated it it was amazing
This book is a complete thrill! Will this Black Stallion be stranded forever away with these indians? Or will h.is beloved owner come to his rescue his horse The Black. This indian teaches Alec the way to the Black or should we call him his other name from the indians. So find out for yourself in the Black Stallion Returns
Laurie D'ghent
Mar 12, 2012 Laurie D'ghent rated it did not like it
I checked this out from the library because I thought it might have been written by a different person that the first book, but it's not. I don't like books where animals get hurt, even if everything turns out right in the end. I tried this anyway, and on the second page it talks of a man's groin. Ew. I'm done.
Soham Gupta
Aug 11, 2012 Soham Gupta rated it it was amazing
This is a great book, better than the first and it is full of emotion and excitement. It is a story of how Alec loses his beloved horse and how he travels half the world to find him. A tale of loyalty and courage and even conflict, as two Bedouin families go to war...
This is a great read, and it will keep you entertained for a very long time.
Anna duaman
Nov 24, 2012 Anna duaman rated it really liked it
i should commend the author here, for he has a great knowledge about horses to be able to write a great book like this. i've been using this book to my projects, actually.

the book tells much about the culture of Arabia since the characters have embarked an adventure towards southwest Asia from U.S.
Jake Swift
Dec 11, 2015 Jake Swift rated it really liked it
I think the this is the best book out of it series. I love this book. I really recommend this book to people that love horse books with action in them. The first book is good and really ties into this book. Walter Farley really did a good job of that. It just pulls you in so it makes you want to read the whole series.
  • Born to Trot
  • The Black Stallion's Shadow (Black Stallion Returns, #1)
  • Wonder's First Race (Thoroughbred, #3)
  • Thunderhead (Flicka, #2)
Walter Farley's love for horses began when he was a small boy living in Syracuse, New York, and continued as he grew up in New York City, where his family moved. Young Walter never owned a horse. But unlike most city children, he had little trouble gaining firsthand experience with horses-his uncle was a professional horseman, and Walter spent much of his time at the stables with him.

"He wasn't th
More about Walter Farley...

The Black Stallion (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #1)
  • Son of the Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #3)
  • The Island Stallion (The Black Stallion, #4)
  • The Black Stallion and Satan (The Black Stallion, #5)
  • The Black Stallion's Blood Bay Colt (The Black Stallion, #6)
  • The Island Stallion's Fury (The Black Stallion, #7)
  • The Black Stallion's Filly (The Black Stallion, #8)
  • The Black Stallion Revolts (The Black Stallion, #9)
  • The Black Stallion's Sulky Colt (The Black Stallion, #10)
  • The Island Stallion Races (The Black Stallion, #11)