Start by marking “The Black Stallion's Blood Bay Colt (The Black Stallion, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Black Stallion's Blood Bay Colt (The Black Stallion, #6)

The Black Stallion's Blood Bay Colt (The Black Stallion #6)

4.09  ·  Rating Details ·  4,591 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Young Tom Messenger has been taking care of Bonfire, the second son of the famous Black Stallion, since Bonfire’s birth. Tom has earned the trust of Jimmy Creech, the veteran driver who owns Bonfire, and Tom is eager to work with the young colt, building his strength and endurance.
But suddenly Jimmy’s health takes a bad turn, and Tom must pick up Bonfire’s reins himself. T
Published May 2006 by Yearling (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about The Black Stallion's Blood Bay Colt, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Melody
Aug 06, 2011 Melody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The annoying thing about reading this book at home is that every time my DH walked by he said, "What are you reading about a blood clot for?" Annoying husbandly dyslexia aside, this was one I hardly remembered at all, though I know I've read it a number of times. Bonfire, out of Volo Queen by The Black, is the star of this book, but the real standout is Bonfire's owner, Jimmy Creech. You couldn't ask for a better study of Borderline Personality Disorder, complicated by Really Vague Ulcer Diagnos ...more
Wendy
To me, The Blood Bay Colt is where Walter Farley really hit his stride in the Black Stallion books. The Black Stallion was very good, if a bit dull at times, The Island Stallion was also very good, if a bit dull at times, and The Black Stallion and Satan was very exciting--although I felt like it was rushed. I loved The Black Stallion's Blood Bay Colt from start to finish--the characters were interesting (especially Jimmy Creech and Uncle Wilbur), the pacing was perfect, and the horses were lova ...more
Leaflet
Jun 25, 2014 Leaflet rated it it was ok
Shelves: youth-fiction
The title of this book should have been "Jimmy Creech's Personality Disorder and His Big Bad Ulcer". Jimmy this, Jimmy that. Jimmy Jimmy Jimmy...they should have sedated him in the first chapter. It's all about Jimmy. In between Jimmy's rants and raves, some interesting bits about harness racing and country fairs.
Kensie Linton
Aug 01, 2014 Kensie Linton rated it it was amazing
In this book the main character is Tom and his horse, Bonfire. Bonfire is a blood bay colt. That means he is a fiery red and he has a black mane and tail. Tom has tan hair and drives that cart Bonfire wears during his races. The setting of this book takes place mainly at Coronet. In this book, the problem is that Jimmy, Bonfire's owner, has an ulcer and had to have surgery. They didn't have enough money to pay the expenses so Tom and Jimmy's friend, George Snedecker, have to race Bonfire at the ...more
Chenglong
The book I read was called “The black stallion’s blood bay colt”. The main character was called Jimmy Creech. The main idea is that Jimmy Creech used to be a player of harness racing. However, he was now old and taken place of by younger players. These younger players want to make the sport a business to make money. Then, Tom messenger, a young player, with his blood bay colt came to the race again. They stood for Jimmy’s passion for the game.
After I have read this story, Jimmy Creech’s passion
C.
Feb 01, 2009 C. rated it liked it
I grew up reading Walter Farley, and a visit in the fall to the Kentucky Horse Park prompted me to pick up one of the old favorites. What I enjoy most is learning about the sport and seeing it come of life in print. The characters in this book are some of my favorite, from the wisened friend to the crotchety owner to the boy full of hopes and dreams. It's always enjoyable to see it all work out in the end and to see the struggle to get to the deserved reward. A simple pleasure for horse-lovers. ...more
Angela Stephens
May 08, 2017 Angela Stephens rated it it was amazing
Read the whole series when I was in grade school
Tania
Nov 12, 2009 Tania rated it really liked it
The Black Stallion's Blood Bay Colt is Farley's foray into harness racing. At the end of the last novel, The Black Stallion and Satan, Henry Dailey and Alec Ramsey discuss doing Henry's old friend Jimmy Creech a favor by breeding his mare to The Black. This book is the result of that pairing.

We meet the trio - Jimmy Creech, veteran harness racer, George, his faithful sidekick, and Tom Messenger, a young boy who has a passion for horses and harness racing, before the colt is born. Tom is just com
Beth
Jan 19, 2013 Beth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes I forget how good Walter Farley was. Sure, he found a successful formula and stuck to it, but he managed to invest his stories with believable emotion every time - no mean feat.

The Black Stallion's Blood Bay Colt is the Black Stallion book I reread most often. It's the most intimate of the series, the most personal, the least public. I liked that about it. I liked the discussion of the modernization of horse racing, the contrast of the fairs and the racetrack. I liked the way Tom's co
Karen
Jul 28, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing
This is really one of my favorites of the series - it's so archaic - I'm just rereading it and just took note of the fact that Tom doesn't know Jimmy is hurt til they read about it in the newspaper....almost all the communication is by snail mail. Omg!!! And I love Uncle Wilmer and Aunt Emma. I get the idea that Walter Farley had a lot of fun writing this book.

I love this sentence for some reason (page 123 of the original first edition):

',No need to pay me anything," Uncle Wilmer returned, taki
Saskia
Dec 31, 2016 Saskia rated it really liked it
I just finished reading this book for the umpteenth time. I first read it as a child. I love it as much now as I did then. It is one of my favorite books by Walter Farley. It is a wonderful story about harness racing 60-something years ago, from county fairs to the big New York raceway (sadly, Roosevelt Raceway is long gone).
I wish that Random House had been more careful about choosing the illustration for the cover of this Yearling edition. The blood bay colt, Bonfire, is shown with his dam, w
Marina
I give this book 3.5 stars. I could not keep my attention on the story it could be because this series is for much younger readers then me. Beautiful horse descriptions very vivid imagery.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Spoiler
Note to Self: Pennsylvania
Tom Messenger(nephew,horse trainer trainee),Bonfire(blood bay colt,second son of Black Stallion+Volo Queen(mare,retired to farm)),Jimmy Creech(62yo,pro reins man,veteran driver
Bonnie
Jul 26, 2011 Bonnie rated it it was ok
I started re-reading The Black Stallion series by Walter Farley in April and read five more from that series in May: Son of the Black Stallion, The Black Stallion and Satan, The Island Stallion, The Island Stallion's Fury, and The Blood Bay Colt. Only The Black Stallion and Satan was as enjoyable as when I was a kid, though I remember never really caring for the Island Stallion "spin-offs" or the two books on harness racing. Where's Alec and The Black? Bring 'em back!
Miriam Cook
Sep 10, 2015 Miriam Cook rated it it was amazing
We get to learn about the son of the Black Stallion and his relationship with his own boy. The Black Stallion's Blood Bay Colt by Walter Farley is a great addition to this series. We get to see that the Black Stallion can have amazing gentle offspring and have great relationships. A book for all the young horse lovers out there.
Sharon
Jan 09, 2010 Sharon rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood, horses
I raced through this series as a child. Of course, "The Black Stallion" was my favorite, and I read it a few times, but I waited eagerly for any of the books to return to my branch of the library so I could snap them up.
Serena
Jan 09, 2013 Serena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, 20th-century

My Rating System:
Murray5thgrade2015
Oct 16, 2014 Murray5thgrade2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: siberianzebradog
OMG! This book has to be up there with my favorite books of all time! so... so much BREATHTAKING DETAIL! You have to read all of them (besides being a horse lover, as myself) to see the true beauty of them. All Walter Farley books are MY favorites. What are yours?
Caffee K.
Aug 03, 2014 Caffee K. rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any fan of Walter Farley or horses
It has been a while since I've visited the Black Stallion series, but this book continues to remain distinct. Farley is a wonderful writer able to bring the story to life in a way captivating for younger readers. For any young horse lover, this book (and the entire series) is a must have.
Cws
Feb 09, 2009 Cws added it
Shelves: jar-fiction
JAR5-Far
Charles
Jul 18, 2008 Charles rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
One of the weaker ones in the early part of the series, but I enjoyed it because I loved Farley's work.
Jacqueline
Jun 19, 2008 Jacqueline rated it liked it
Extra 1/2 star.
Jackie Krasuski
There was not a Black Stallion book that I could ever put down. The stories are the best.
Heidi
Nov 05, 2010 Heidi rated it really liked it
I liked this book. :)
Kendra
Enjoyed the change again. Harness racing, very impressive!
Tara Calaby
I gobbled up all of these books when I was in my horse phase.
Karalynn
Apr 30, 2015 Karalynn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
It was pretty good, I just wish the Black Stallion would have been in it.
Janet
Aug 09, 2012 Janet rated it it was amazing
for horse lovers
Alan
Oct 05, 2016 Alan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
My favorite Black Stallion novel after the first one. I own a 1950 first pressing in hardcover,
That edition has the original title of "The Blood Bay Colt".
Tanisha Christie
Nov 16, 2014 Tanisha Christie rated it really liked it
Very interesting book that I still occasionally read now and then.
Georgia
Jan 28, 2011 Georgia rated it did not like it
i was wanting to read this book for a long time, i was dissapointed when i did.it took a long time to get to the point of the book.
  • Born to Trot
  • The Black Stallion and the Shape-Shifter (Black Stallion Returns, #3)
  • Wonder's First Race (Thoroughbred, #3)
  • Thunderhead (Flicka, #2)
  • Billy And Blaze: A Boy And His Pony
  • Old Bones the Wonder Horse
Walter Farley's love for horses began when he was a small boy living in Syracuse, New York, and continued as he grew up in New York City, where his family moved. Young Walter never owned a horse. But unlike most city children, he had little trouble gaining firsthand experience with horses-his uncle was a professional horseman, and Walter spent much of his time at the stables with him.

"He wasn't th
More about Walter Farley...

The Black Stallion (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #1)
  • The Black Stallion Returns (The Black Stallion, #2)
  • Son of the Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #3)
  • The Island Stallion (The Black Stallion, #4)
  • The Black Stallion and Satan (The Black Stallion, #5)
  • The Island Stallion's Fury (The Black Stallion, #7)
  • The Black Stallion's Filly (The Black Stallion, #8)
  • The Black Stallion Revolts (The Black Stallion, #9)
  • The Black Stallion's Sulky Colt (The Black Stallion, #10)
  • The Island Stallion Races (The Black Stallion, #11)