Start by marking “This Is the Stable” as Want to Read:
This Is the Stable

This Is the Stable

A gorgeous, poetic new version of the Nativity story

Wondrous things are happening in this humble little stable. The animals are gathering round. Shepherds and wise men and angels are coming from afar. All of them are flocking to see the Christ child, born this night in Bethlehem.

Illustrated in the gorgeous tropical hues of the region and told in lyrical verses perfect for
Published November 14th 2006 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about This Is the Stable, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Is the Stable

Jo Oehrlein
Mar 07, 2017 Jo Oehrlein rated it liked it
A simple story that sets the scene in the stable in Bethlehem after the birth of Jesus.

It starts with a repeating pattern, but doesn't quite carry it through the whole book.
Ebookwormy1
Jan 05, 2009 Ebookwormy1 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ebookwormy1 by: Gift from Jane & Bob Cikanek
Shelves: bible, kids-preschool
While we read children's Bibles throughout the year, at Christmastime and Eastertime it is helpful to have a few books that tell the story in new, fresh ways.

"This is the Stable" is one of those few precious books. The book is simple and the rhymes are not stunning in their execution, but the characterization of the role of the stable, animals, star, etc. captures a wonder-filled look at the nativity. We are enjoying it this year and i hope to enjoy it again in future years!
Kristine
Dec 12, 2013 Kristine rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite nativity book (not that I'm an expert or anything). But the cadence of the poetry (slightly following the pattern of this is the house that jack built, in tying things together) and the illustrations blow me away. Seriously when I turned the page to the angels visiting the shepherds Ellie gasped at the artwork, and I can't blame her. A picture book whose words are able to bring reverence and awe to the story is a perfect combination with the art. Love it.
aubrey
Dec 26, 2010 aubrey rated it really liked it
while searching for Christmas books for the kids, i found this one and fell in love. i love the simple prose and the illustrations are beautiful. i'm planning on buying it to keep in our Christmas box..
Nancy
Dec 05, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: To tell the nativity story to young children.
The artwork was nice in this story of the nativity. Rhyming was used to tell the story. This was one of the books I checked out of the library to tell to young children, at our churches nativity event.
Rachel
Dec 05, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it
I liked it. ...more
Library
Dec 08, 2014 Library rated it really liked it
A beautifully composed Nativity story with descriptive rhymes. Though the words are beautiful, this stunning part of this book is the illustrations. My favorite is the picture of the stable with angel wings embracing its sides.
Kirsta
Apr 27, 2009 Kirsta rated it it was amazing
We read this one multiple times a day at my house. The cadence of this story is mesmorizing. The illustrations are beyond compare (I have debated framing one of the pages for it's beauty). I highly recommend this book.
Lisa
Dec 24, 2011 Lisa rated it really liked it
A beautifully written poem about the birth of Jesus. It takes you through different elements of the story, but all centered on the humble stable where he was born. The illustrations weren't my favorite, but my kids loved it.
Amanda Snow
Dec 18, 2011 Amanda Snow rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
A wonderfully simple telling of the Christmas story, in a calming, repetitive way. The illustrations are beautiful and the flow of the words is perfectly paced. I've added this one to our home shelves and I'm sure we'll read it each year at Christmas time. One of my new favorites!
Danny
Dec 30, 2011 Danny rated it really liked it
A simple, melodic rhyme tells the story of all the visitors to Jesus' stable.
Dec 04, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Sweet nativity story. Love the illustrations.
Tiffany
This little Christmas book has gorgeous illustrations and a cumulative rhyme. I'm glad I bought it. It's becoming a holiday favorite and a nice break from the Santa Claus books.
Samantha
May 10, 2015 Samantha rated it really liked it
A retelling of the Nativity told in rhyming verses set against sepia ink, watercolor, gouache, and acrylic paint illustrations.

PreK-2.
Melissa
Jan 25, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it
I am saving this book to remind myself to read it to my kids again, this next Christmas. Very cute and simple.
Danette
Dec 13, 2016 Danette rated it liked it
Read with Naomi and Julia.
Sharon
Dec 30, 2011 Sharon rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-a-child
A simple, melodic rhyme tells the story of all the visitors to Jesus' stable.
Anna Anderson
Dec 01, 2016 Anna Anderson rated it it was amazing
Beautiful illustrations and simple story of Jesus' birth.
Chris K Polizzi
.50 goodwill
Meredith
A retelling of the Nativity Story. The illustrations are beautifully done. The text is a bit stilted to fit the rhythm and rhyme scheme.
Jessie
Jessie rated it really liked it
Dec 31, 2014
Sara
Sara rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2015
Heather Jo
Heather Jo rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2015
Dana
Dana rated it really liked it
Sep 16, 2008
Rikki
Rikki rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2016
Greg.joliegmail.com
Greg.joliegmail.com rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2012
Sandra Segatti
Sandra Segatti rated it liked it
May 24, 2016
Erica
Erica rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2011
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2015
Leslie Brunner
Leslie Brunner rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Room for a Little One: A Christmas Tale
  • Humphreys First Christmas
  • The Story of Christmas
  • Who is Coming to Our House?
  • Christmas in the Manger Board Book