Start by marking “This Is the Stable” as Want to Read:
This Is the Stable
Preview

This Is the Stable

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  18 reviews
A gorgeous, poetic new version of the Nativity story

Wondrous things are happening in this humble little stable. The animals are gathering round. Shepherds and wise men and angels are coming from afar. All of them are flocking to see the Christ child, born this night in Bethlehem.

Illustrated in the gorgeous tropical hues of the region and told in lyrical verses perfect for
Published November 14th 2006 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about This Is the Stable, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Is the Stable

Library
A beautifully composed Nativity story with descriptive rhymes. Though the words are beautiful, this stunning part of this book is the illustrations. My favorite is the picture of the stable with angel wings embracing its sides.
Melissa
I am saving this book to remind myself to read it to my kids again, this next Christmas. Very cute and simple.
Kristine
This is my favorite nativity book (not that I'm an expert or anything). But the cadence of the poetry (slightly following the pattern of this is the house that jack built, in tying things together) and the illustrations blow me away. Seriously when I turned the page to the angels visiting the shepherds Ellie gasped at the artwork, and I can't blame her. A picture book whose words are able to bring reverence and awe to the story is a perfect combination with the art. Love it.
Ebookwormy
Jan 05, 2009 Ebookwormy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Ebookwormy by: Gift from Jane & Bob Cikanek
Shelves: kids-preschool, bible
While we read children's Bibles throughout the year, at Christmastime and Eastertime it is helpful to have a few books that tell the story in new, fresh ways.

"This is the Stable" is one of those few precious books. The book is simple and the rhymes are not stunning in their execution, but the characterization of the role of the stable, animals, star, etc. captures a wonder-filled look at the nativity. We are enjoying it this year and i hope to enjoy it again in future years!
Amanda Snow
A wonderfully simple telling of the Christmas story, in a calming, repetitive way. The illustrations are beautiful and the flow of the words is perfectly paced. I've added this one to our home shelves and I'm sure we'll read it each year at Christmas time. One of my new favorites!
Kirsta
We read this one multiple times a day at my house. The cadence of this story is mesmorizing. The illustrations are beyond compare (I have debated framing one of the pages for it's beauty). I highly recommend this book.
Lisa
A beautifully written poem about the birth of Jesus. It takes you through different elements of the story, but all centered on the humble stable where he was born. The illustrations weren't my favorite, but my kids loved it.
Rachel
I liked it. ...more
aubrey
while searching for Christmas books for the kids, i found this one and fell in love. i love the simple prose and the illustrations are beautiful. i'm planning on buying it to keep in our Christmas box..
Nancy
Dec 05, 2012 Nancy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: To tell the nativity story to young children.
The artwork was nice in this story of the nativity. Rhyming was used to tell the story. This was one of the books I checked out of the library to tell to young children, at our churches nativity event.
Tiffany
This little Christmas book has gorgeous illustrations and a cumulative rhyme. I'm glad I bought it. It's becoming a holiday favorite and a nice break from the Santa Claus books.
Meredith
A retelling of the Nativity Story. The illustrations are beautifully done. The text is a bit stilted to fit the rhythm and rhyme scheme.
Sharon
Tommy
Danny
K
Simple, repetitive text coupled with gorgeous illustrations.
Adrielle
My favorite nativity illustrations of all that I've seen.
Sweet nativity story. Love the illustrations.
Julie Fulton
Julie Fulton marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Rebecca Colby
Rebecca Colby marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2015
Jana Woodbury
Jana Woodbury marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Book Boat's In Rain Play Snow Ponies At the Edge of the Woods: A Counting Book Abbie in Stitches