Start by marking “Son of the Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #3)” as Want to Read:
Son of the Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #3)

Son of the Black Stallion (The Black Stallion #3)

3.99  ·  Rating Details ·  6,403 Ratings  ·  79 Reviews
When Alec receives the Black Stallion’s first son as a gift, he believes his dreams have come true, but Satan’s savage arrogance makes him dangerous and unpredictable. Still, Alec is resolved to gain the fiery colt’s trust, even if he must risk his life to do it.
Published August 20th 1991 by Yearling (first published 1947)

We love
Oct 07, 2016 We love rated it it was amazing
Shelves: a
My oldest daughter is working through this series and LOVED this book!
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ
This is the last book I have in this series, although the series has 19+ books in it. This is a really really old hardcover book with pages ripped, some are tapped (and the tape has yellowed, and bits torn out. I want to read it, but this copy is terribly old. I'll miss a few words here or there, but shouldn't lose too many. If this copy becomes too hard to read, I just checked and the library has a copy! :) Off I go...

I know I could just read the newer edition, but there's something about a wel
Dark-Draco
After reading and enjoying the first two books in the series, I was really disappointed by this one. It wasn't really the story itself, which was still good - Alec finally takes possession of the promised first foal of the Black, but the colt is wild and fights everyone who tries to befriend him. Alec and Henry still plan to race him as a two year old, but lots of things seem to conspire to get in the way, including a jealous trainer who wants the colt for himself.

No, what got to me was the feel
Cielo
Feb 10, 2014 Cielo rated it liked it
Although I think that Alec was trying too hard to see the black stallion in this new colt, which I found slightly annoying, because it took him longer than necessary to realize that the horse's son was nothing like his father, I still found it an enjoyable read. and it was a quick book to read as well. Most of the characters are easy to like, for example henry and Alec. Some of the problems that arose in the book didn't seem all that believable though.
Elizabeth
Sep 17, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
This was actually the first Black Stallion book that I ever read, and I was immediately drawn into the wild, unpredictable, even dangerous colt of a famed stallion who seemed to be at war with the whole world. Beautifully written, I was drawn into the struggle of Alec's blind love for a colt who truly deserved the name Satan.
Leaflet
Jun 17, 2014 Leaflet rated it it was ok
I'm enjoying re-reading my childhood favourites. However, it strikes me now what a ninny Alec's dad is. in the beginning, he keeps coyly referring to the giant, coal-black, red-eyed, son of The Black, man-killer named 'Satan' his son has in the stall as Alec's 'pony'. I mean..really, Dad. Wake up and smell the horse manure or you'll end up with a foreleg in your man groin.
Anthonyc chilton
Oct 28, 2016 Anthonyc chilton rated it really liked it
Henry used to be a horse trainer. He will now help Alec train satin for the biggest race
around them. Henry does not believe Alec can train Satin. The two years they have till the race is plenty time to train Satin.

Alec is a kid who wants a sire of the black. The Arabian guy sends him the colt of the black as a present. He needs to help Satin over come his fears, so he can race in the hopeful. Alec and Satin go through a lot of trouble, but they still race in the hopeful.

I liked the book a lo
Abigail
Oct 11, 2016 Abigail rated it really liked it
This book was exciting and was overall pretty good.
Ben De Bono
Bad. Not as bad as book 2 but still bad. Unfortunately my son loves the series so I have a feeling I'll be reading the next 20 as well. Oh boy
Maya M
Sep 06, 2016 Maya M rated it it was amazing
August 23 2016

This book is about a boy named Alec who was on a cruse ship with his dad when it suddenly started to sink and Alec got trapped on an island for 9 or 10 days. And in that time he met a beautiful horse he named Black. Alec needed to earn Black's trust. He eventually did earn Black's trust. Alec and black finally go rescued and Alec trained Black to be a race horse. (He was a race horse breed. i forget the name though) He made record time!! When it was the big race day he won!!

The
Tania
Jan 23, 2016 Tania rated it it was amazing
The Son of the Black Stallion - no one anticipated his arrival more than Alec Ramsey, but I'd say fans of The Black Stallion were a close second. Yet from the moment he arrives, The Black's son Satan is more than a handful. He's wild and hates everyone in his path. Still Alec patiently tries to win his love, or at least his respect, for Alec loves this horse blindly and unconditionally. Faith in his ability to win over the horse and train him to race in his father's footsteps, Alec pulls his ...more
Wayne S.
Dec 12, 2015 Wayne S. rated it it was amazing
In Son of the Black Stallion, Alexander William (Alec) Ramsay, who lives in Flushing, NY, with his father William and mother Belle and is now in college, receives the Black Stallion’s first offspring as a gift, naming him Satan, and believes that his dreams have come true to win another race. However, Satan’s savage arrogance and wild nature make him dangerous and unpredictable. Still, Alec, aided by retired racehorse trainer Henry Dailey, is resolved to gain the fiery colt’s trust, even if it ...more
D
Jul 08, 2013 D rated it really liked it
While I missed reading about Alec and Black, it was interesting to see him trying to gain the colt's trust. Some parts were hard to get through when Alec reminisces about the black stallion because the animal to man bond was so strong that this felt like a cheap knockoff of a beautiful friendship. Yes, I know it sounds weird but anybody with a beloved pet can kinda understand why Alec misses Black. While some parts are rather forced, I will state that this isn't a book for an animal rights ...more
Wendy
Oct 07, 2011 Wendy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horses-fiction
I liked this one, for the most part. Satan was a nice horse after he got over the whole 'trying to murder everyone he sees' thing. I could've done without the frantic search for a slip of paper thing; I get that enough in real life!

I'm just not sure I agree with Henry's, uh, 'method' of straightening Satan out. It worked, in the end, but it was pretty much animal abuse, and he could've been killed. It certainly wasn't the 'only' way to tame him, just the fastest. I'm sure Alec's way would have w
Wendy
Mar 08, 2010 Wendy rated it liked it
Kinda sad how Satan has to be "broken" before he comes around. I have to laugh at the idea of him being glad to get a chance to race his sire - you'd think it would be like my Jack Russell Terrier getting in teh same room with his son!

I also remember getting in a fight with a girl in my 5th grade class because she insisted that I was pronouncing the horse's name wrong - she kept saying "it's Satin!" There's no way a horse would be named after the devil!!
Shannon Farrell
Apr 16, 2016 Shannon Farrell rated it it was amazing
This is a bit of a rehash of the original: boy befriends aggressive wild stallion through s traumatic experience and must win the big race. But it's still different enough to warrant a read. I read this aloud to my 2 and 5 year old which is a bit bizarre given that the horse's name is Satan. I spent many night reading to my girls and telling them all about Satan. Some very intense scenes in this one.
Bonnie
Jul 26, 2011 Bonnie rated it it was ok
I started re-reading The Black Stallion series by Walter Farley in April and read five more from that series in May: Son of the Black Stallion, The Black Stallion and Satan, The Island Stallion, The Island Stallion's Fury, and The Blood Bay Colt. Only The Black Stallion and Satan was as enjoyable as when I was a kid, though I remember never really caring for the Island Stallion "spin-offs" or the two books on harness racing. Where's Alec and The Black? Bring 'em back!
Leigh
Jul 22, 2016 Leigh rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
Although the Black Stallion series was published over 30 years ago, I think kids will still enjoy these stories about a young man's love for his race horses. However, as an adult who's had competition Arabians for over two decades, some parts of the stories make me shake my head and think "um..no."

Also, not as well written as My Friend Flicka series which was published at about the same time and also about a young man's love for horses.
Josephine
Jan 29, 2013 Josephine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Didn't much care for these, at least once I grew out of the blindly adoring HORSIE phase; too sugary a transition from fiery resistance to adoration after the scene in which Henry tries to beat the spirit out of the colt. I don't care if Alec did come to the rescue at the last moment, if I were the horse I'd still be pretty pissed off at all the humans.
Miriam Cook
Sep 22, 2015 Miriam Cook rated it it was amazing
The Black Stallion lives on through his son. Satan lives up to his name and then some. Alec is determined to not give up but will the two realize they are perfect before something bad happens. You will have to read to find out. Son of the Black Stallion by Walter Farley just proves how great an author Mr. Farley is. Young horse lovers will love this book.
Lauren
May 15, 2009 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Still love these books. Some words/phrases are way over used but totally able to overlook that. What person that loves horses doesn't think that racing looks so exciting or being such a good rider as to be able to cling to and ride a wild stallion?
Great quick reads that area fond childhood memory.
Tom Baker
Apr 11, 2016 Tom Baker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
50+ years ago I read most of Walter Farley's books. Now, after reading this one, I see why I was entrhralled with the Black Stallion series . They are well written for young adolescents to read. I think the very first book I read was The Island Stallion while I was in the hospital for a bad burn.
Emily
Sep 09, 2008 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood-favs
I actually read this 1947 edition of the book originally. I think I borrowed it from my grandparents...or maybe my mom had it. In any case...I love finding the edition I read because the cover pictures always hold special memories. Unfortunately, Goodreads doesn't always have the right edition. I wonder if there's a way to add one....
Lauren Denard
Jun 30, 2015 Lauren Denard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great sequel to a great book

I love this book. It makes me want o read the rest of the series of The Black Stallion. If you love horses and horse racing, read this book and more too it.
Lynne Stringer
While not my favourite book in the series, I still enjoyed experiencing the challenges both Alec and Henry faced as they tried to train The Black's first son, Satan. It was definitely an uphill battle and one that made for an entertaining read.
Renada Thompson
Still just as enjoyable as in my childhood. This time I understood Henry's frustration with Alec's unshakeable love for the horse. There's a nice chapter that develops Mrs. Ramsay's character a bit too.
Serena
Feb 16, 2016 Serena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals

My Rating System:
Callie Kolterman
Jan 04, 2013 Callie Kolterman rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I thought it was the best one that I've read so far. There was so much action that sometimes it took my breath away not knowing what was going to happen.
Daisy
Jul 05, 2008 Daisy rated it it was amazing
When I was a kid I filled up a library card reading and re-reading this book. I read it at least 15 times and never got tired of this book, or ANY of Walter Farley's books.
Sharon
Jan 09, 2010 Sharon rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood, horses
I loved all horse stories during my horse phase, but I held a special fondness for the wild-horse-taming genre, since I couldn't imagine being able to gentle a horse myself.
  • Mustang: Wild Spirit of the West
  • The Black Stallion's Steeplechaser (Black Stallion Returns, #2)
  • Green Grass of Wyoming (Flicka, #3)
  • Wonder's Victory (Thoroughbred, #4)
Walter Farley's love for horses began when he was a small boy living in Syracuse, New York, and continued as he grew up in New York City, where his family moved. Young Walter never owned a horse. But unlike most city children, he had little trouble gaining firsthand experience with horses-his uncle was a professional horseman, and Walter spent much of his time at the stables with him.

"He wasn't th
More about Walter Farley...

The Black Stallion (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #1)
  • The Black Stallion Returns (The Black Stallion, #2)
  • The Island Stallion (The Black Stallion, #4)
  • The Black Stallion and Satan (The Black Stallion, #5)
  • The Black Stallion's Blood Bay Colt (The Black Stallion, #6)
  • The Island Stallion's Fury (The Black Stallion, #7)
  • The Black Stallion's Filly (The Black Stallion, #8)
  • The Black Stallion Revolts (The Black Stallion, #9)
  • The Black Stallion's Sulky Colt (The Black Stallion, #10)
  • The Island Stallion Races (The Black Stallion, #11)