Start by marking “Breaking the Ice” as Want to Read:

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  25 reviews
When routine driven box office assistant Samantha Smith meets the stars of 'Skating on Broadway' her life is turned upside down. Immediately attracted to the infamous lead skater Jimmy Lloyd, Samantha does her best to deny her feelings. But when all you can do is burst out laughing and hyperventilate every time you're under pressure, keeping things under wraps is a hard ta ...more
Kindle Edition, 2nd Edition , 482 pages
Published May 29th 2011 by Mandy Baggot

To ask other readers questions about Breaking the Ice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breaking the Ice

Shona Booky Ramblings of a Neurotic Mom
This was a fun, comfortable read. The story unfolded at a nice pace and there wasn't any part of it that felt rushed or forced and I can honestly say that at no point whilst reading was I bored. I read this book in two sittings, most of it in just a few short hours. That's how easy and comfortable it was to fall into Samantha's world.

I think this is one of the first times I have read a book where I didn't really like the main character. When the book first started I quite liked her, but quite q
Leah
When routine driven box office assistant Samantha Smith meets the stars of ‘Skating on Broadway’ her life is turned upside down. Immediately attracted to lead skater Jimmy Lloyd, Samantha does her best to deny her feelings. But when all you can do is burst out laughing and hyperventilate every time you’re under pressure, keeping things under wraps is a hard task. When the future of her beloved Civic Hall is threatened Samantha must rise to the challenge to ensure its survival. Constantly scrutin ...more
Nikki Bywater
Breaking the Ice by Mandy Baggot

Samantha Smith is a shy, self-conscious, single girl who likes the settled routine that her job selling programmes and ice-cream in an old fashioned theatre provides. It made Samantha feel safe and secure. Samantha lives with her sister Cleo who is the exact opposite of Samantha, she is confident and outgoing. Samantha does not go anywhere or do anything but work, mainly preferring her own company or that of a stray cat called Gobbolino.

When the theatre puts on a
Shaz Goodwin
Mandy Baggot

I won this book in an email competition and I’m glad that I did!

Seeing past the spelling and punctuation, the story flows and the lead characters are easy to identify with. Their humanity comes across quite early on in the story. Samantha is a wonderful character and although she controls her life to the nth plus one degree there are times during crises when we get to see the real ‘Sam’ when her strength comes shining through. Having been a panic attack sufferer I can
Lisa
Breaking the Ice is the story of Samantha Smith, a girl with a dull life and a multitude of problems, whose life changes when the Ice skaters come to town!
I really love ice skating and even though I'm not great at it, in my head I am one of those graceful, twirling girls that can be spun around and lifted about - I wish! So I was hoping there would be lots of sequins and pazazz and although there were a few technical skate moves tossed in, I wish there had been more (blame dancing on ice!)
I di
Leigh Mitchell
I loved this book! I laughed out loud at times and I especially loved when the usually timid Samantha started standing up for herself. I'm gutted it's finished, infact I am about to go and add some more Mandy Baggot books to my Kindle even though I have loads of unread books.
Suzy Turner
Having never read any of Mandy's books before, I had no idea what to expect, however having been an FB pal for some time, I knew it had to be extraordinary, just like the author! And I wasn't at all disappointed. If you're a fan of chick lit, then Breaking The Ice offers all the usual chick lit fanfare - a hopelessly flawed main character and a sexy man to take her mind off things. Add to that a somewhat sex-obsessed zany sister and a boss who is plain old weird, you've got a story that'll keep ...more
Maureen Vincent-Northam
Breaking the Ice revolves around Samantha Smith and her dedication to her job as a box office assistant and general dogsbody at the Civic Centre. When the centre hosts a major event, Skating on Broadway, Samantha gets to meet skating heartthrob Jimmy Lloyd and, against her normally cautious self – and denying it every step of the way – falls for him. Jimmy has issues of his own but appears to fall for her too, being able to look past her reticence and nervousness.

When the Civic Centre is under
Rea Sinfield
I have been reading a lot of books recently by self-published authors. Over the last few years I have read many reviews on self published authors which have put me off of reading them. I decided it was time to see for myself what I thought of some of their works. I read 2-3 books a week so I have decided for each week in July and August I am going to read one self published book. I have already read Working it Out by Nicola May and Bagpipes and Bullshot by Janice Horton ( both of these reviews y ...more
Debbie
Oh my goodness there is so much in this book I can identify with am so glad I read this book. Samantha is the younger of two sisters one very outgoing(Cleo) who is so confident nothing seems to scare her, she seems a little embarrassed by her shy, book loving, old classic film loving sister(Samantha) who doesn't go in for latest fashion in clothes, or the latest nightclub or have to visit restaurant instead she's happy in her job in the Old Civic Hall selling tickets & being the person who s ...more
Sue Parker
Samantha is a box office assistant and she meets Jimmy the lead in the ice show. Panic attacks start happening and he is right there to help her. She had a sister Cleo who I think is too busy with herself and her own personal life to open her eyes and see what is really going on with her sister. Jimmy is just out if rehab and struggling with his addictions. He likes Sam and teaches her how to skate. I love the ending but the whole story takes quite some time to build up to it.
Michelle Connor
Really enjoyed reading this novel. The characters were engaging, the stroyline had me gripped from the first few pages and the location or setting of the scene was different to many of the other books I have read of that genre. Thank you Mandy.
Kayla
The main character Sam is kind of annoying only because she is extremely meek, and panics over everything. But as the story progressed she started to come out of her shell. I enjoyed this book but only after I really pushed myself through the first few chapters.
Book worm Ash
I loved this book immensely. The storyline was great and also the characters. I thought Sam was great and it was nice to read about a girl who isn't confident in her own skin, it was a refreshing read, definitely more like real life!
Toni
So loved this book not that I should be surprised Mandy Baggot is an amazing writer. Love her books. Another amazing read and hard to put down kinda book. Was full of suspense.:)
Victoria Newman
Is a great book to read
Kate
Firstly I’d like to thank Janice from Loveahappyending for sending me this eBook to read and give an honest review. If you are a regular reader of Me, My Books and I you will know that I’m a big fan of Mandy’s books so I really couldn’t wait to get started on this one – from the blurb it sounded like another hit and I’m pleased to say that it most definitely was!

Getting to know Samantha was interesting for me because I seemed to have quite a few things in common with her – organised, liked her o
Treasure Trove
Review published on my blog: http://UKTreasureTrove.wordpress.com

For Mandy Baggot fans, the 3rd May has been marked down in diaries as the date her new book, Taking Charge is released! To tide over the anticipation of this event, I decided to download the last of her books I haven't read - Breaking the Ice! Dancing on Ice fans, this is definitely one you have to pick up.

Meet our heroine Samantha, London based, almost West End box office assistant, at Civic Hall. Slightly neurotic, uber efficient
Lindsey Brown
Now I am a big fan of author Mandy Baggot and while this is not my favouriy (Knowing Me, Knowing You, still topping the charts) it was a great read. Mandy's writing style offers an easy read and I always fall in love with the main characters and particularly the female ones.

Mandy writes with great humour but also understanding of humour nature.

A great book for taking on holiday or enjoying in the bath!
Teresa
The hero of this book is mouth wateringly warm, even if he is on ice. The heroine is a bit scatty actually. And although it did add to the humour, and I would empathise with her, at times I did get annoyed with her too.

As a self-published book, this story could have done with a better edit. There were some grammatical errors and the avoidance of the word 'said', plus too much dialogue tagging in places, which slowed the pace down. This is the reason I've given it three stars. However, as I got
Sarah W
I wanted to like this book, but actually I really struggled with it. The main character Sam is really quite annoying and tedious and her sister is self centred and selfish. I would have given one star if it hadn't been for the fact that it did slightly pick up towards the end and the male character of Jimmy I did like. I'd be dubious about reading another of the authors books.
Nell
There were lots of things to like about this book. It had an interesting and topical plot and some good characters eg Gobbo the cat but the characters were a bit too annoying and implausible and there were some plot issues that jerked me out of the story in a couple of places. This is an author with a good voice however and I will try more of her work.
Mandy Baggot
Feb 21, 2011 Mandy Baggot rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
I am the author of this book so I have to give it five stars! Follow box office assistant Samantha as she struggles to overcome her panic attacks and her zany sister Cleo. Can she stop fainting long enough to let herself fall in love?
Avis Exley
Unusual romance between a theatre manager and ice skating star. Love a Brit romance and this was done with a really light touch with lots of comic moments. Will certainly look for more of Mandy's work.
Stephanie Bolen
I didn't like Sam, she was so down on herself. But I loved the fact that all the characters were so real. It was a cute story, the self doubting was what killed it.
Aurelia Rowl
Aurelia Rowl marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Syreeta
Syreeta marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
Mandi Smith
Mandi Smith marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
  • Star Fish
  • The Letter
  • What Not To Bare
  • How To Kill Your Boss - An Erotic Love Story
  • Reaching for the Stars
  • Spitfire (Puffin Cove, #1)
  • A Lady's Pleasure
  • Seeing Stars
  • Old Desires
  • Special Relationship
  • Destined to Fail
  • To Turn Full Circle
  • Instructing an Heiress  (Cinderella Heiresses, #2)
  • Somebody
  • Bound to Love
  • More Than This: A Novel
  • From Now On
  • The Boy Next Door
Mandy Baggot is an award-winning romantic fiction author, writing hot heroes and emotional reads. She is represented by Kate Nash of The Kate Nash Literary Agency.

In 2012 she won the Innovation in Romantic Fiction award at the UK's Festival of Romance and has since scooped Top Ten Reads/Book of the Year places from a number of UK book bloggers.

Traditionally published by US publisher Sapphire Star,
More about Mandy Baggot...
Taking Charge Made in Nashville Strings Attached Security Knowing Me Knowing You